Josh Gordon to be released-now traded to PATS

Kirby Jackson

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I read he showed up at practice with a problem.  Don't know if it was drugs.  If it is he's probably gone anyway; league would say enough.

There is nothing over the last few years to say this kid really is interested in playing football.

He showed up and said hammy hurt. Got treatment Practiced. And someone said he wasnt himself. 

That is what was reported. Everything else is spinning his prior issues. 

So again if he didnt fail another test, everything being said about drugs or booze is speculative 

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I would not bring in a guy like Gordon with his history regardless of what team he comes from.  I feel for the kid, but how many chances does he get?

Let me tell you how "The Process" goes when you can't out-coach the guys across from you..............you start out with high ideals about how you think the game should be played and an extremely low tolerance for anything less than 100% buy-in.............and you end up desperately turning the reigns of your offense over to Turk Shonert to run a no huddle and you sign a washed up,  team-last kinda' guy in Terrell Owens........and that was in hopes of AVOIDING getting fired.    

The sooner McDermott and Beane realize their folly the better their chances of surviving their on-the-job learning mistakes.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I read he showed up at practice with a problem.  Don't know if it was drugs.  If it is he's probably gone anyway; league would say enough.

There is nothing over the last few years to say this kid really is interested in playing football.

Im curious where the report is coming from. Seems it hurts everyone involved to leak it, unless some browns coach mouthed off trying to look good over cutting him then found out they were trying to trade him. 

Maybe Gordon’s agent thinking free agency is the place to be and a bunk rumor helps get him there? 

Regardless - the league can’t just say enough without a test 

Edited by NoSaint

Sorry, I want NOTHING to do with this guy. He's clearly out of shape and one step away from being banned from the NFL forever. If you guys want to waste money or a draft pick on a player like that, good for you. If you guys didn't see the Browns game on Sunday, he doesnt look like his normal, dominant self. 

No thanks to Gordon.

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

He showed up and said hammy hurt. Got treatment Practiced. And someone said he wasnt himself. 

That is what was reported. Everything else is spinning his prior issues. 

So again if he didnt fail another test, everything being said about drugs or booze is speculative 

He's being released for some reason, right?

Terrell Owens ain't a bad example. A lot of fans went crazy because we brought in that idiot and he was a model citizen and actually played pretty good. If we had any kind of offense and QBing that year (IIRC Fitzy missed him wide open deep several times) he would have had 10 TDs. He was always open.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Sorry, I want NOTHING to do with this guy. He's clearly out of shape and one step away from being banned from the NFL forever. If you guys want to waste money or a draft pick on a player like that, good for you. If you guys didn't see the Browns game on Sunday, he doesnt look like his normal, dominant self. 

No thanks to Gordon.

Clearly out of Shape. He played 68 snaps Sunday. With very little offseason. I swear what goes thru peoples heads. 

2 minutes ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

No thanks to Gordon.

If he just catches one pass for a TD like he did last week every week he will lead the league in TDs, plus Tyrod missed him a couple times.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

He's being released for some reason, right?

Dorsey doesnt like him. Didnt from Jump. Was waiting for a reason. 

Showing up a little late was it. 

See how easy that was. I mean after all our regime did the same thing 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Dorsey doesnt like him. Didnt from Jump. Was waiting for a reason. 

Showing up a little late was it. 

See how easy that was. I mean after all our regime did the same thing 

He's a problem waiting to happen.  You have to have players you can rely on to actually take the field

1 minute ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Did you see the game? If not, I wouldn't talk. Somethings off about him and it's not just the conditioning. 

Yeah I did. Sure as hell wasnt watching the Bills game. He was open alot. And TT well we no cant throw inside the numbers 

He's a problem waiting to happen.  You have to have players you can rely on to actually take the field

Again all speculative 

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

But we dont have those at WR already. At least with a move like this we would have a guy that might show up on Sunday. Currently we have like 1-2 on the WR depth chart that might put in an nfl caliber game any given week.. It’s not like we’d be cutting an actual player to do this. 

Edited by NoSaint

No.  Historical.

In that case why did we sign Star to a 50M contract. 

Or Trade for KB

or sign Newhouse and Bodine

or Bring back Zay

and if he turns into a problem he is cut no harm. See how easy that is 

Edited by MAJBobby

41 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well I think you'll find that the "worth a shot" crowd......of which I am a part......isn't all that mad at Watkins, Clay or even Benjamin.

Fair enough.  I haven’t tracked different folks views, you could be right.  On the other hand, the “why not take a shot, we’re desperate for receivers?” theme does imply a certain lack of respect for their receiving chops

Gordon differs from Clay and Benjamin in that when he steps on the field.........even after years away from the game........he was an instant matchup advantage and makes plays.   Hell he scored a TD last week and would have had another if Tyrod didn't under throw him.

I don’t pretend to be following the Browns, but his catch percentage throughout his career has been below 50%.  A couple of the QB throwing to him in that timeframe can play, others um no.

Clay is an afterthought to me at this point.    They signed him after decades of woeful TE play and you can expect to overpay for proven talent early in FA.    Doctors blew the physical or something because he was damaged goods. 

That has seemed to be a recurring theme for the Bills physicals

Yeah I did. Sure as hell wasnt watching the Bills game. He was open alot. And TT well we no cant throw inside the numbers 

Again all speculative 

LOL. Yet somehow Jarvis got 108 yds and 7 receptions...Odd.

Gordon should be used to playing 5 games a season and having a full year or 2 off to get in shape on his own. Yet he managed to do fairly well in previous years considering he plays about a quarter of a full season. 

Again. You want to give money or waste a draft pick for a player who never plays? Sure...Whatever floats your boat, but thank god you're not running this team. 

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

In that case why did we sign Star to a 50M contract. 

Or Trade for KB

or sign Newhouse and Bodine

or Bring back Zay

and if he turns into a problem he is cut no harm. See how easy that is 

Which of them had multiple suspensions?  You draw comparisons that have no basis in reality. 

And if he turns into a problem and you cut him who would be first in line blasting management for signing him?  A guy named MAJBobby.

Which of them had multiple suspensions?  You draw comparisons that have no basis in reality. 

And if he turns into a problem and you cut him who would be first in line blasting management for signing him?  A guy named MAJBobby.

Unless they gave a high pick of guaranteed dollars, I don’t mind a short leash. I’d hope it a reasonable length though (realistic expectations and all).

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Again all speculative 

He has been suspended more games than he has played in his career. There is nothing speculative there.

Edited by cle23

2 minutes ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

LOL. Yet somehow Jarvis got 108 yds and 7 receptions...Odd.

Gordon should be used to playing 5 games a season and having a full year or 2 off to get in shape on his own. Yet he managed to do fairly well in previous years considering he plays about a quarter of a full season. 

Again. You want to give money or waste a draft pick for a player who never plays? Sure...Whatever floats your boat, but thank god you're not running this team. 

Yep why not theh are giving over 50M to players that really never plays. Compared to your mythical never plays (even if he had 68 snaps last week)

Where did I bash management for Trading for Coleman. Have fun trying to find that 

1 minute ago, cle23 said:

He has been suspended more games than he has played in his career. There is no speculative there.

Sure it is speculative saying anything about a relapse with no failed test. 

Just like it is speculative saying Martavis Bryant is getting suspended (hasnt happened yet has it)

31 minutes ago, billsgpr88 said:

Hmm, Philip Seymour Hoffman (Rochester native btw) had an accomplished, prolific career for over 20 years.. But I see what you're saying;  there are about 50 famous musicians who fall into this category, and as it was for Hoffman, heroine is usually the vice that causes it.

Clearly, PSH was much more accomplished.  I just hate to see people's lives ruined because of an addiction that is so strong that it can suck you back in like this.  

• Like (+1) 1

Yep why not theh are giving over 50M to players that really never plays. Compared to your mythical never plays (even if he had 68 snaps last week)

Where did I bash management for Trading for Coleman. Have fun trying to find that 

What in the hell are you talking about now?  This is in response to your Star/JB/ Newhouse etc tirade.  

Just now, Peter said:

Clearly, PSH was much more accomplished.  I just hate to see people's lives ruined because of an addiction that is so strong that it can suck you back in like this.  

Couldn't agree more

• Like (+1) 1

What in the hell are you talking about now?  This is in response to your Star/JB/ Newhouse etc tirade.  

Guy said if you want to pay money to have someone NOT play. Well this FO does that alot with record dead cap. 

Try to follow along will ya 

i know talented WRs go against the blue collar 1960s football this fan base loves so much

Edited by MAJBobby

My feeling is he'd make promises and just get in trouble again.

Unless you think it’s within the first week or two... I have to ask... so what?

would you be upset if they traded a 7 and got 8 games 600 yards and 5 touchdowns from him? The discussion isn’t for Gordon to be the long term answer. It’s whether he can help take a little pressure off allen for 3 months.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m a huge Josh Gordon superfan, I have been since his breakout year in Clevo. He’s got elite talent and could have been a top-5 receiver in the league if he could have kept his head on straight.

I watched Gordon last year with Kizer and last week with Tyrod. He should have had 3 TD’s last week (one called back on a penalty, one underthrown INT). He’s still got it.

I could see the Browns throwing shade on him (with that “not himself” line) if the release is only for the injury/lateness. From a PR standpoint, it makes sense. They did the same thing with Coleman. I can’t imagine this situation is going to help Gordon’s mental health, though.The guy’s on the verge of falling off the tracks and receiving a lifetime ban.

I wish him well, wherever he goes.It’s worth the risk for some team but that team isn’t Buffalo.

Edited by eanyills

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Unless you think it’s within the first week or two... I have to ask... so what?

would you be upset if they traded a 7 and got 8 games 600 yards and 5 touchdowns from him? The discussion isn’t for Gordon to be the long term answer. It’s whether he can help take a little pressure off allen for 3 months.

I think it would be in the first week or two.

The response to my post.  What are you smoking tonight?  No wonder you're a Gordon guy.

You quoted my multipe quote thread. One to the other guy about paying players that wont play. 

Now the response to your was where did I bash management for trading for Coleman. Good luck finding it. 

So see what I mean to try and follow along. 

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

That's what happens with a GM with a no nonsense policy, it's a team sport and there always has to be an example.

Or you have a GM that wants his guys anyway so the older regime players have to walk on eggshells. See last year in Buffalo 

6 minutes ago, Dopey said:

"Was not himself"... They should have given him a Snickers. 

Yeah because you know having a bad day or “not yourself” is always a red flag for substance abuse. According to some here 

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Or you have a GM that wants his guys anyway so the older regime players have to walk on eggshells. See last year in Buffalo 

Why wouldn't he have cut him before training camp, or after he missed training camp, if that was the case? 

You quoted my multipe quote thread. One to the other guy about paying players that wont play. 

Now the response to your was where did I bash management for trading for Coleman. Good luck finding it. 

So see what I mean to try and follow along. 

That's with any job, if you're made the boss you bring in guys you trust (coaches) and you bring in employees you hand pick (players) to make the place run how you see fit correct? I don't think The coach or GM here got rid of players just because they were Whaley's players I think he got rid of them because they  either didn't fit their scheme (Darby/the ILB that went to KC) or because of personality and overpayment (WR Woods, WR Watkins, DT Dareus), just my opinion though.

Just now, cle23 said:

Why wouldn't he have cut him before training camp, or after he missed training camp, if that was the case? 

Because he didnt mess up. He wasnt late. Saturday he was late and Dorsey cut him. 

Why did Dareus get traded into the season?