Who Starts At QB For Week 2? (Poll)

Paulus

Who starts?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. Who should and who will start week 2?

• Nate should start and will.
    • Nate should start but won't.
    • Josh should start and will.
    • Josh should start but wont.

Under the guise of pre-season nate was the best and most consistent QB. 

I don't blame McDermott for wanting to protect Josh and hope Peterman could move forward in the reqular season to cover for Allen getting caught up. 

The problem lies when teams bring heavy pressure against Peterman.  He doesn't have the arm or athletic ability to counter that.   Add rain and wind on top of that and you can see why Peterman was effectively a disaster Sunday.   

If the line can hold a bit and team's play soft coverage Peterman would accel but game tape is going to have DC's bringing pressure as much as possible. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

The decision to trade McCarron is looking pretty iffy.

Teams are to worried about these useless late round picks that never amount to anything. The day we trade McCoy for some trash mid round pick will be the end of beane with me. These picks never matter, keep players that can help you

50 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

Mcdermott is not a good coach.  I feel bad for the pegs they just can't get the right guy.  Marrone split, Rex was not into the daily grind and Mcdermott is limited.  His entire  philosophy on team building is lazy.  He only wants one type of player.  Part of being a leader is taking many personality types and  molding them into a team.  Getting people to do what they don;t want to do .  There are a lot of talented players that are quirky or even ass holes but they can help your team win games.   This good guy try hard act is going to go down in flames 

I don't think McD is looking for choir boys.  From what he's said, he's looking for guys who practice hard, play hard, and put team first both on and off the field.  There are many different personality types that'll fit in that mold.  

Last year he took a below average roster and achieved an above average win total and ended the drought.  

This year, he's seriously handicapped with an even crappier roster.   Thanks to dead cap and unspent cap money, we're spending less on the team we're fielding than any other team in the NFL.  What chance does any coach have when the team is spending $60 million less on current player salaries than the league allows?

I fought in the first Iraq war.  We had M-1 tanks; they had T-72s.  We had air support.  They didn't.   Of course we won.  McD is going into this season vastly under-armed.  

I'm not ready to say he's not a good coach after one bad game - even as bad as that game was.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I don't think McD is looking for choir boys.  From what he's said, he's looking for guys who practice hard, play hard, and put team first both on and off the field.  There are many different personality types that'll fit in that mold.  

Last year he took a below average roster and achieved an above average win total and ended the drought.  

This year, he's seriously handicapped with an even crappier roster.   Thanks to dead cap and unspent cap money, we're spending less on the team we're fielding than any other team in the NFL.  What chance does any coach have when the team is spending $60 million less on current player salaries than the league allows?

I fought in the first Iraq war.  We had M-1 tanks; they had T-72s.  We had air support.  They didn't.   Of course we won.  McD is going into this season vastly under-armed.  

I'm not ready to say he's not a good coach after one bad game - even as bad as that game was.

An adult entered the room!

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Really?

He was sold here, by himself and others, as an offensive guru.  Bortles, Manuel et al notwithstanding, his offense is a hot mess almost every week he doesn't play Pittsburgh.  The D in Jax speaks for itself and was trending before he arrived.  He wisely hired Schwartz here and let him be.  That was a good move.

Your rebuttal of my point would be relevant if I had said anything relating to offense. However I didn't.

McDermott has not won me over by any means. Beane same thing. I've been here since the team's inception and I'll hold any positivity and side with a degree of negativity until this organization gives me concrete evidence to convert me to being positive. After all these decades I can't blame anyone for being negative.  

I'm hoping that the coaches remember what Allen looked like in that Cincy preseason game in which he had no time to throw. 

Allen went 6 of 12 for 34 yards in the first half and was sacked 5 times and almost needed to go into concussion protocol.  While not looking as bad as Peterman did against the Ravens. I don't want to see this bright young QB ruined. Whereas Nate Pickerman is expendable.  :P

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

The above is a great post but McDermott didn't have to keep Peterman, let alone start him, but he did. Again, even after last season.

In numerous posts since the game (not yours!) I read over and over how us fans don't know much about football and the 32 coaches and 32 GMs are the experts. It SHOULD be that way!!! These guys are getting paid millions and worked their way up, however; I think that most high school age fans would have known NOT to start Peterman. I just don't know how to explain this move.

Jmo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Your rebuttal of my point would be relevant if I had said anything relating to offense. However I didn't.

I'm glad he is gone.  I'd prefer Rex.  They both suck but Rex isn't a douche.

Ok, Ok, he's a douche.  But in a fun way, not a jerky way.

Wow.  It is amazing how quickly faith has been lost.  Yes the game was embarassing on all levels. Last year after our great start, the team collapsed in the middle of the season only to come back and make the playoffs for the first time in 18 years.  Yesterday’s game was not entirely Peterman’s fault.  This was a confluence of events.  Pretty much everyone is to blame.  KB dropped at least 2 and failed to run his route on Peterman’s first Int. (The 2nd one he airmailed and he has no one to blame but himself).  The reason that McDermott is not sure, is that as bad as Peterman played, he still may be the right person at this time. Allen looked better against the Ravens 2nd/3rd team in mop up time and even then he only hit 40% of his passes.  I am not saying Peterman should start, but I understand why if McDermott makes that decision. I still trust the process.  

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mantis said:

If we trot out Allen and he goes 4-11 over the next 15 games (which is highly likely given this O-line), this same fan base that is clamoring for Allen, will be calling him a bust and clamoring for us to draft a QB with out first round pick next year.  I, for one, am willing to be patient while Allen takes his lumps.  But the truth is that most of this fan base will give Allen no more than four to six games of looking "like crap" (or even being sub par) before calling him a bust.  I honestly wonder if McDermott isn't protecting Allen from us.   

Its likely you are correct but that doesn't really matter.  Look at Goff his first year.  He flat out stunk.  

2 hours ago, Coach55 said:

Wow.  It is amazing how quickly faith has been lost.  Yes the game was embarassing on all levels. Last year after our great start, the team collapsed in the middle of the season only to come back and make the playoffs for the first time in 18 years.  Yesterday’s game was not entirely Peterman’s fault.  This was a confluence of events.  Pretty much everyone is to blame.  KB dropped at least 2 and failed to run his route on Peterman’s first Int. (The 2nd one he airmailed and he has no one to blame but himself).  The reason that McDermott is not sure, is that as bad as Peterman played, he still may be the right person at this time. Allen looked better against the Ravens 2nd/3rd team in mop up time and even then he only hit 40% of his passes.  I am not saying Peterman should start, but I understand why if McDermott makes that decision. I still trust the process.  

He also looked better than Nate agsint the 1st string players, evenm getting a 1st down and keeping this team out of the history books for the worst performance ever. You failed to inclued that. You're a loon if you think Peterman gives the Bills the best chance to win. Only reason not to start Allen, is because of how horrid the OL is, and the whole health of our 1st round pick thing. And, yes. The OL is really that bad. In fact I think they may be the worst OL fielded in the history of the NFL.

2 minutes ago, The Senator said:

I’m watching ESPN now, and McD is saying, “It’s not just as simple as some might think.”

Ues, Sean, it is.  Peterman sucks.  He is not our best chance to win. Start Allen.

Maybe, it is not as complex as McBeane thinks. 

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

So, what you're saying is that McBeane should never have made enemies out of Iran?

6 hours ago, CLTbills said:

I agree... however I think anyone that watched the preseason would agree that Peterman won the job and looked the best out of the 3 QB's we had. Everything that he had showed us, showed us that he was a halfway competent NFL QB. Now, why that's not transferring to the Regular Season? I have no clue. Something loose upstairs?

All I'm saying is, hindsight is always 20/20. Not a single person saw this happening after how good Peterman performed in the preseason. Disclaimer : I am NOT A PETERMAN FAN! I'm just trying to look at it objectively.

Horse manure. Plenty of people on this board, including myself, were not fooled by preseason.

5 hours ago, mannc said:

The fact that it is Tuesday morning and Peterman has not been released yet is a very bad sign.  It shows McBeane’s delusional thinking and inability to evaluate the most important position in sports.  

They aren't going to just release a QB without a replacement that knows the offense. 

Peterman should start and will. Allen is the better QB by far, but I see this like Trent's last year. Peterman won the competition in camp. McD named him the starter. He was an absolute disaster. Throw him out there for one more game to see if he has any chance at shrugging it off and becoming a backup for Allen at least for this season. If he's awful again, name Allen the starter for week 3, bring in a vet backup, and cut Peterman week 4 after the vet has had a little time with the playbook.

We are going nowhere this season, so one extra game of getting beat up isn't going to mean much for Allen's development.

3 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Peterman should start and will. Allen is the better QB by far, but I see this like Trent's last year. Peterman won the competition in camp. McD named him the starter. He was an absolute disaster. Throw him out there for one more game to see if he has any chance at shrugging it off and becoming a backup for Allen at least for this season. If he's awful again, name Allen the starter for week 3, bring in a vet backup, and cut Peterman week 4 after the vet has had a little time with the playbook.

We are going nowhere this season, so one extra game of getting beat up isn't going to mean much for Allen's development.

Peterman doesn't need another chance.  The dude is worse than Jeff Tuel.  Why waste time?  You are disappointing your team and the fans by doing so.  Allen may have a lot to learn but he can learn it on the field like many a QB before him.  A lot of people learn better by doing than watching.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Scott7975 said:

Peterman doesn't need another chance.  The dude is worse than Jeff Tuel.  Why waste time?  You are disappointing your team and the fans by doing so.  Allen may have a lot to learn but he can learn it on the field like many a QB before him.  A lot of people learn better by doing than watching.

I expected to lose the first 4 games and was hoping Peterman could be a backup so I'm really not that disappointed. Like I said, I don't think throwing Peterman out there one more week while they look for a vet backup is a big deal. People will be just as excited for Allen in week 3, and they'll be just as disappointed when he looks like a rookie against a tough Minnesota defense. Allen will still get nearly a full seasons worth of starting experience.

11 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

I'm sorry man.  I can't for the life of me adopt a loser mentality like that.  We were good last year, there was no need to fly it into the ground like it appears so far anyway they  have done. 

Coach McDermott made his team over perform and and BILLIEVE for once and make the team greater than the sum of it's parts.  I expect him to do the same this year.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

The decision to trade McCarron is looking pretty iffy.

It looks straight up bad.  The QB situation might turn into more of a mess than it already is.

These guys are painted into a corner. 

Keep playing Nate to protect the development of Allen, and we likely keep getting killed and the coach loses the room.

They can throw in Allen, but they have told us by not starting him in Baltimore that he is not ready.  So now you are prematurely starting the most important player in the franchise right now b/c you screwed up the QB situation.

Option 3 would have been to play the veteran, AJ, and hope for the best, but they got rid of him.

If Nate starts again and can't even get through the f-ing game, it's going to get really ugly.

McD is going to get it from all sides, including his own players.

Edited by Fadingpain

9 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I'm sorry man.  I can't for the life of me adopt a loser mentality like that.  We were good last year, there was no need to fly it into the ground like it appears so far anyway they  have done. 

Coach McDermott made his team over perform and and BILLIEVE for once and make the team greater than the sum of it's parts.  I expect him to do the same this year.

I'm pretty optimistic about Allen in the coming years. I just don't see the Bills contending for anything but a high draft pick this year with their lack of talent. I'll save my winner mentality for something it has any effect on. 

Allen gives the Bills the best chance to win.  Period.  Peterman gives them zero chance to win.

36 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

They aren't going to just release a QB without a replacement that knows the offense. 

Logan Thomas gives them a better chance to win than Peterman.  

The only logic behind starting Peterman would be that you are terrified that Allen will get sacked 7 times, run for his life, concussed and pretty much ruin his career before he even has a legit chance to learn the game and develop. I am all for real game experience for rookie QBs but not if that experience is just getting beaten over the head again and again.

I voted nate should start but won't.

My premise that he should stat has nothing to do with anything other than I don't want Allen killed against the chargers dline.

Np sucks, but I'm okay with giving Chum to the sharks for a couple of weeks until we get past the death-dlines upcoming.

If McD trots Peterman out there Sunday I will be pissed.  Especially after buying a plane ticket and game tickets before the season started.  I don't want to see that joker Peterman on the field another second.  His skills are straight, no chaser, ?  He is a bridge to nowhere.  Let Allen play, learn, take his adversities and overcome.

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

I voted nate should start but won't.

My premise that he should stat has nothing to do with anything other than I don't want Allen killed against the chargers dline.

You mean the Charger d-line that gave up 48 points at home to a qb making his second NFL start?

26 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I can McDermott in his best Knute Rockne voice "Win one for the Peterman,  because we sure as hell can't let #17 get hurt."

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

You mean the Charger d-line that gave up 48 points at home to a qb making his second NFL start?

We are saving Allen for the bubble wrap flag football games they do later in the season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The only logic behind starting Peterman would be that you are terrified that Allen will get sacked 7 times, run for his life, concussed and pretty much ruin his career before he even has a legit chance to learn the game and develop. I am all for real game experience for rookie QBs but not if that experience is just getting beaten over the head again and again.

I hear this argument and wonder what about Peterman makes  you think he will not suffer the same fate and then Allen would need to play. The getting hurt argument does not hold water. At this point i can not think of a reason to start Peterman. 

17 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

I'm pretty optimistic about Allen in the coming years. I just don't see the Bills contending for anything but a high draft pick this year with their lack of talent. I'll save my winner mentality for something it has any effect on. 

Go for it.

Go BILLS !!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I hear this argument and wonder what about Peterman makes  you think he will not suffer the same fate and then Allen would need to play. The getting hurt argument does not hold water. At this point i can not think of a reason to start Peterman. 

He might get hurt he might not. Whether he does or does not you are guaranteed to expose Allen to less abuse even if it means Allen has to come in halfway through the first quarter.

The game we should really be concerned about is @ Minnesota week 3. I really didn't want Allen playing in that game at all unless he and the team were both looking competent. Starting Allen against the Chargers probably guarantees he will also start at Minnesota.

24 minutes ago, purple haze said:

If McD trots Peterman out there Sunday I will be pissed.  Especially after buying a plane ticket and game tickets before the season started.  I don't want to see that joker Peterman on the field another second.  His skills are straight, no chaser, ?  He is a bridge to nowhere.  Let Allen play, learn, take his adversities and overcome.

Conservative run heavy game plan that keeps the Charger O off the field works for me. (Allen behind center)

I hope fans like you are a big part of why McD goes with the rookie.

Every week through the regular season die hard Bills fans spend hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars of hard earned money to watch the Buffalo Bills live and desrve to see the best team the Bills can put on the football field IMO.

Edited by Figster

25 minutes ago, mannc said:

They gave up 38 points.

Not 48.

They also have a very very good dline.

They didn't have bosa.

Bosa might not play next week either.

If he doesn't play we will only get sacked 6x instead of 10x.

Chiefs had an above average oline last year, which looks even better this year.

They also have one of the best offenses in football.

Our oline is a pile of crap at best.

Our offense sucks.

Edited by SouthNYfan