Who Starts At QB For Week 2? (Poll)

Paulus

Who starts?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. Who should and who will start week 2?

• Nate should start and will.
    • Nate should start but won't.
    • Josh should start and will.
    • Josh should start but wont.

11 minutes ago, donbb said:

The Jets will have more. The Jets also seem to be able to identify talent in the trenches which the Bills do not.

I think you're forgetting the fact that arguably our 2 best OL retired unexpectedly. I don't think it's an "identifying talent" issue, as much as a "talent that's available" issue. I fully expect them to address it next offseason because they'll have what amounts to almost unlimited resources to make it happen.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, gridrick said:

Esiason called him Peterson and the whole cast was laughing.  Now i call him Peterson. It was funny, but they were laughing cause the guy is a starting quarterback and it was kinda funny but kinda sad at the same time.  The Buffalo Bills were the joke. 

Put the (sic) in there so we know.

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

If Peterman is trotted out as the starter again this year (baring injury) than McD seat starts to get asked about. The playoff honeymoon is over. He will lose the benifit of doubt with me already and will start being critical of his roster building and in game management. 

Start Allen and He gets this year (from me anyway) what this year was always about a growth year and middle year of the rebuild. However you cannot talk this is a “learning year” if you are not giving your Rookie QB those “learning reps”. 

and Bobby he'd rightfully lose the benefit of doubt your doubt and everyone else who supports this team.  Manning,  Aikman.....you dont expect a ton of wins but you rid yourself of a guy who won an ncaa championship and said youre going to put the players on the field whom give you the best chance to win.  If your starter cant get past a zero quarterback rating then youre hurting every position on the field. 

33 minutes ago, gridrick said:

Esiason called him Peterson and the whole cast was laughing.  Now i call him Peterson. It was funny, but they were laughing cause the guy is a starting quarterback and it was kinda funny but kinda sad at the same time.  The Buffalo Bills were the joke. 

Maybe they were laughing at Boomer’s brain damage.

3 minutes ago, gridrick said:

and Bobby he'd rightfully lose the benefit of doubt your doubt and everyone else who supports this team.  Manning,  Aikman.....you dont expect a ton of wins but you rid yourself of a guy who won an ncaa championship and said youre going to put the players on the field whom give you the best chance to win.  If your starter cant get past a zero quarterback rating then youre hurting every position on the field. 

I also think trotting Peterman out there again runs the risk of losing the lockerroom. Look what happened when Josh went in Sunday. Sideline seemed to come alive (yes already crushed and game over). But then your Captain McCoy even talked about Josh essentially being ready after the game as well. 

Cant Trot Peterman out there after Sunday and say he gives us the best chance to win like

you could after the Preseason (he was good then but obviously means nothing)

Edited by MAJBobby

22 minutes ago, Tazor Face said:

He's not dragging his feet...he knows, he's letting the opposition prepare for both. Maybe he should say Peterson starts that way they might take the week off and switch to Allen last minute.

Are you kidding me, it’s Anthony Lynn coming back to the place that dissed him off as a HC choice after he coached a steaming pile into a functional offense as OC.

He’s already got 4 complete game plans written up, one for Peterman one for Allen one for Lynch and one for A Player to Be Named later.

He’d rather beat Buffalo, in Buffalo, than eat sleep or boink

14 minutes ago, gridrick said:

that woulda been the end of the polish rifle, yep.

Yep, just like it was the end of that Brady kid when he couldn't get it done against the Steelers in the playoffs, and Belichick had to pull him out and put in Bledsoe who gave them the touchdown pass they needed.  Whatever happened to that poor Brady kid?

6 minutes ago, T master said:

It sucks when you have to admit that you were wrong in your assessment of a player !

Either that or he doesn't want to completely ruin the kid psychy for life ! 

or at least his quarterback life.  that hasnt happened yet,  but he's worrying me.  Exactly, by not starting Peterman he knows he's admitting to not having a clue since the offseson started.  TT sat for a week then he changed up.  He has a head coaching job.  He sure as hell doesnt want to lose it.  

Not a huge fan of replying to these kind of posts..........

But...............

I'm an idiot. Just ask DC.

I believe that two things need to happen.

1. Trade McCoy to a contender for the best deal possible. 

2. Put Allen into a 4 or 5-wide set every single down in the shotgun, and let him run, roll out, find a Trentative outlet next to him, or fire it downfield. We are not going to have much of a running game this season.......let's put the RB's into space to make a play. 

Crush me as needed.

38 minutes ago, gridrick said:

i'll bet you still have that t-shirt from 20 years ago too, huh?

8 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I think you're forgetting the fact that arguably our 2 best OL retired unexpectedly. I don't think it's an "identifying talent" issue, as much as a "talent that's available" issue. I fully expect them to address it next offseason because they'll have what amounts to almost unlimited resources to make it happen.

Man, I don’t want to be a tool here, but they knew Wood was medically unfit during the exit physical.  All that time, all the FA centers who were available, all the draft centers who were available, and the best they could do was Bodine?  Google “FA centers 2018”, other guys were available.

Also RI’s twitter tantrum started after FA and before the draft, they could have changed something in their strategy at that point.

I hope that Edmunds is everything they hope he will be.  I hope that Allen is everything they hope he will be.  But the fact is, the Bills had choices both in FA and in the draft, including the choice to not trade up so far for Edmunds and invest a high draft pick on OL.

Their choices reflect their priorities and their talent evaluation, and in the final outcome maybe they’re good choices, but please - don’t cast it as no one else was available or “unexpected retirement”.  They had choices, other talent was available.  “Talent that’s available” is an issue each year, including next year.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

He's the head coach and can do what he wants. I seriously don't get all of you who get butt hurt because the coach doesn't hold your hand and tell you every little detail about the team.

He doesn't have to tell you jack!

Exactly. I bet the decision was already made before the end of the game, or at least the trip back home and they were informed of who would be getting the start Sunday. Just because they haven't made a formal announcement to the world doesnt mean the team is in limbo waiting for a decision.

I dont even think it has to do with trying to fool the other team as I would Lmost bet the Chargers after seeing Sundays game are prepping for Allen and already know about Peterman from last year.

I'm sure their defensive players were as disappointed as Bill's fans about Petermans poor performance, hoping they would get a second chance to pad their stats and feast against him.

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

He wants to start Peterman but he knows it'll lose the locker room.

I think that may be it, my question is “why?”

The reason to start a 5th round pick over the future, is if the 5th round picks further experience make him able to process the game and make decisions that your rookie can’t, yet.

I think Sunday showed that Peterman, at regular season speed and with disguised coverages, is functionally a rookie who is not yet able to process the game and make decisions as a veteran QB.

That being so, logic would say start the physically superior QB who can’t process the game and make decisions yet, and let him try to learn OTJ

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that may be it, my question is “why?”

The reason to start a 5th round pick over the future, is if the 5th round picks further experience make him able to process the game and make decisions that your rookie can’t, yet.

I think Sunday showed that Peterman, at regular season speed and with disguised coverages, is functionally a rookie who is not yet able to process the game and make decisions as a veteran QB.

That being so, logic would say start the physically superior QB who can’t process the game and make decisions yet, and let him try to learn OTJ

IMO it's because McBeane is afraid / conservative to a fault.  They know everything is on Allen and they are worried about spoiling it.

It would be one thing if it was a journeyman QB out there, someone like Fitzpatrick, McCown, etc.  It's quite something else when it's a 2nd year 5th round pick who looks like a deer in the headlights.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Man, I don’t want to be a tool here, but they knew Wood was medically unfit during the exit physical.  All that time, all the FA centers who were available, all the draft centers who were available, and the best they could do was Bodine?  Google “FA centers 2018”, other guys were available.

Also RI’s twitter tantrum started after FA and before the draft, they could have changed something in their strategy at that point.

I hope that Edmunds is everything they hope he will be.  I hope that Allen is everything they hope he will be.  But the fact is, the Bills had choices both in FA and in the draft, including the choice to not trade up so far for Edmunds and invest a high draft pick on OL.

Their choices reflect their priorities and their talent evaluation, and in the final outcome maybe they’re good choices, but please - don’t cast it as no one else was available or “unexpected retirement”.  They had choices, other talent was available.  “Talent that’s available” is an issue each year, including next year.

Yes, this is somewhat true. However, with limited cap space, and having to use the draft capital to get our QB of the future, what exactly could we have afforded/had the capital to get? 

And as you said, they had to make a decision. I'm not disagreeing with that. We had a big hole at LB to fill. If we had filled the OL, we'd have lot's of guys here complaining that we didn't draft a LB when we had the chance.

Edited by CLTbills

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

IMO it's because McBeane is afraid / conservative to a fault.  They know everything is on Allen and they are worried about spoiling it.

It would be one thing if it was a journeyman QB out there, someone like Fitzpatrick, McCown, etc.  It's quite something else when it's a 2nd year 5th round pick who looks like a deer in the headlights.

Then call me a heartless Bahstahd, but McBeane should have thought of that “conservative” bit last spring and brought a long-in-the-tooth but proven vet into camp.

Then he should have thought of that “conservative” bit before swapping McCarron for the chance to draft a guy with a 5-10% shot at becoming an NFL starter.

Just now, CLTbills said:

Yes, this is somewhat true. However, with limited cap space, and having to use the draft capital to get our QB of the future, what exactly could we have afforded/had the capital to get?

I think a lot of people are not upset with most of the moves, they are upset that the oline was given so little attention, and IMO that Castillo went with Vlad again over Teller who to most fans played better in preseason.   

I don't think the oline will be fixed as long as Castillo is here and he keeps going with his boy over a guy who played better. 

And I think McDermott is getting tired of it too, when he talked about objectively looking at the film, he meant removing emotion and grading crap for what it is, crap.   Goes back on coaching on the oline.    

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Then call me a heartless Bahstahd, but McBeane should have thought of that “conservative” bit last spring and brought a long-in-the-tooth but proven vet into camp.

Then he should have thought of that “conservative” bit before swapping McCarron for the chance to draft a guy with a 5-10% shot at becoming an NFL starter.

I agree... however I think anyone that watched the preseason would agree that Peterman won the job and looked the best out of the 3 QB's we had. Everything that he had showed us, showed us that he was a halfway competent NFL QB. Now, why that's not transferring to the Regular Season? I have no clue. Something loose upstairs?

All I'm saying is, hindsight is always 20/20. Not a single person saw this happening after how good Peterman performed in the preseason. Disclaimer : I am NOT A PETERMAN FAN! I'm just trying to look at it objectively.

1 minute ago, CLTbills said:

They traded up twice.  The second time was for Edmunds.  They had draft capital to take an OL higher if they didn’t make that second trade up.

The Bills currently have $7.5M in open cap, AFTER taking a dead cap hit of $3.5M on Corey Coleman.  They came into training camp with $12M or something like that, AFTER choosing to take all of Eric Wood this season.

C’mon man, they had options.

Just now, CLTbills said:

I agree... however I think anyone that watched the preseason would agree that Peterman won the job and looked the best out of the 3 QB's we had. Everything that he had showed us, showed us that he was a halfway competent NFL QB. Now, why that's not transferring to the Regular Season? I have no clue. Something loose upstairs?

All I'm saying is, hindsight is always 20/20. Not a single person saw this happening after how good Peterman performed in the preseason. Disclaimer : I am NOT A PETERMAN FAN! I'm just trying to look at it objectively.

Not a single person saw this happening.  Seriously?    

I'm totally onboard with the "Process".  Watching that press conference yesterday - I am starting to worry that maybe McD is too committed to Nate.  Nate can't play QB in this league.  I thought we learned that last year, but he somehow convinced himself and the coaches that they could make it work.

Josh is ready to go as long as he isn't going to get murdered behind that O-Line.  I only hope that the hubris of wanting to "prove that I'm smart" does not overrule the staff.  I really wish we hadn't traded AJM.  That was a mistake.  I think they saw the Jets get a 3rd for a guy they signed in FA and thought, hey we can do that too....  But I'd feel much better if we had AJM over NP.

Go Bills.  Even if it takes a year to see a W.

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know man.  I'm at a loss.  It's pretty clear they wanted to flush the cap clean in one season (and I can't blame them too much for that realistically, we had likely hit our ceiling as a ~9 win team under Whaley and the team was headed for a cap breakup).

I have no idea why they didn't aggressively pursue options like Bridgewater or Bradford, McCarron seemed like a complete "well, I guess maybe we should bring in a guy in case we do miss out" option when he was signed and the contract he was given.  For the life of me I don't understand why they see in Peterman.  Guys like Landry Jones or Matt Moore seem like WAY better options to put in the room with Allen.  Paxton Lynch seems way more physically talented than Peterman. 

19 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

Yep, just like it was the end of that Brady kid when he couldn't get it done against the Steelers in the playoffs, and Belichick had to pull him out and put in Bledsoe who gave them the touchdown pass they needed.  Whatever happened to that poor Brady kid?

Brady was still the starter.  That isnt the same scenario as benching a young quarterback and leaving him on the bench for a length of time.  It hasnt happened yet.  I'm just paranoid they dont know how to develop their draft pick they traded up for.  They're showing us some incompetence. If you wanna make an argument you could make one about the Broncos qb.  Still when he's drafted this high there's hopes he's gonna pan out like an elite nfl quarterback.  Personally i watch a lot of ncaa and didnt think too highly of the qb draft class and certainly not much of Rosen, but Allen is who they went for so he's who i'm rooting for. 

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They traded up twice.  The second time was for Edmunds.  They had draft capital to take an OL higher if they didn’t make that second trade up.

The Bills currently have $7.5M in open cap, AFTER taking a dead cap hit of $3.5M on Corey Coleman.  They came into training camp with $12M or something like that, AFTER choosing to take all of Eric Wood this season.

C’mon man, they had options.

Not a single person saw this happening.  Seriously?    

Not after watching preseason and watching him pick apart the Carolina defense like he was shooting fish in a barrel... no.

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I don't know man.  I'm at a loss.  It's pretty clear they wanted to flush the cap clean in one season (and I can't blame them too much for that realistically, we had likely hit our ceiling as a ~9 win team under Whaley and the team was headed for a cap breakup).

I have no idea why they didn't aggressively pursue options like Bridgewater or Bradford, McCarron seemed like a complete "well, I guess maybe we should bring in a guy in case we do miss out" option when he was signed and the contract he was given.  For the life of me I don't understand why they see in Peterman.  Guys like Landry Jones or Matt Moore seem like WAY better options to put in the room with Allen.  Paxton Lynch seems way more physically talented than Peterman. 

I’m afraid that some of our vet posters here have it right, and that these are guys who honestly feel that character and hard work trump talent, and who just totally undervalue the OL.

Now it may be true that character and hard work + talent >> slothful talent.  But at some point, talent is needed to avoid being someone who gets ramrodded back into the QB and dumped on his arse.

Peterman may have 'won' the competition in camp, but it's not like he really wowed them, Allen's stats wouldn't have mattered unless he really blew them away and AJ got hurt costing him practice and game time. Peterman put up ok numbers for a preseason QB. They had options and choices but didnt want to spend to get quality, they thought they could strike gold and get a younger qb that could potentially be flipped when Allen was ready.

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I’m afraid that some of our vet posters here have it right, and that these are guys who honestly feel that character and hard work trump talent, and who just totally undervalue the OL.9

Now it may be true that character and hard work + talent >> slothful talent.  But 

Which, as others have mentioned, feels like a complete replay of the Jauron/Levy era, we were a very nice team that got our faces smashed every week.   Then Buddy/Whaley came in, brought in "bad guys" who could actually play, we started to win, one bad coaching hire short circuited everything and now Terry & co knee jerked to "clean up the locker room".

I hesitate to crush them too badly, if Allen / Edmunds / Dawkins / White are all hits, you can accomplish A LOT quick with "franchise" QB / LT / CB / MLB all on cheap deals.  But I'm pretty concerned if the true approach is "nice guy" > talent.

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

Peterman may have 'won' the competition in camp, but it's not like he really wowed them, Allen's stats wouldn't have mattered unless he really blew them away and AJ got hurt costing him practice and game time. Peterman put up ok numbers for a preseason QB. They had options and choices but didnt want to spend to get quality, they thought they could strike gold and get a younger qb that could potentially be flipped when Allen was ready.

AJ got hurt in the second preseason game, and had looked terrible before he got hurt, and he was simply out-performed by Peterman in the other game. Anybody that watched those two games would agree.

• Like (+1) 1