Bucky Brooks: Nathan Peterman Will Be "Human Pinata" Behind Bad Offensive Line

26CornerBlitz

Buffalo Bills QB Nathan Peterman will be 'human pinata' behind bad offensive line, says NFL analyst Bucky Brooks

NFL network analyst Bucky Brooks thinks Buffalo Bills quarterback Nathan Peterman is in big trouble after being named the team's starting quarterback and edging out rookie first-round pick Josh Allen.

"You're the human pinata. That's what (Peterman) is," Brooks said on his "Move The Sticks" podcast this week. "He's the human pinata. He's going to get beat to a pulp; They're gonna sacrifice him for four games before Josh Allen goes in. And man, those defenses. If he had a problem with the Chargers last year that first game. I'm not saying he'll throw five picks but it's gonna be tough."

Brooks' co-host Daniel Jeremiah thinks the Bills will struggle to protect Peterman or Allen this season behind a poor offensive line.

"Congratulations on winning the job. Your offensive line stinks and you get to play the Ravens, the Chargers, the Vikings and the Packers," Jeremiah said. "(Peterman has) played great in the preseason - I don't want to get that lost - (but) it's the preseason. When you look at their offensive line, it's not good up front. I don't know how they're going to be able to block these teams."
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bucky Brooks....one of the biggest busts in Bills history.  Enough said.

In all reality, it’s a fair take though I think the are forgetting that Peterman gets the ball out quick to negate the rush.  Plus the Bills coaches have to know how bad the line is at pass blocking.  Expect lots of game planning 

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

In all reality, it’s a fair take though I think the are forgetting that Peterman gets the ball out quick to negate the rush.  Plus the Bills coaches have to know how bad the line is at pass blocking.  Expect lots of game planning 

Silly point to make. Enough said. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Silly point?  It’s 100% true

It's irrelevant to his capabilities as an NFL analyst and his opinion of the 2018 Bills.  As a 2nd round pick, he's not even close to one of the biggest busts in Bills' history.   Regardless, it's not germane to the discussion. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Eric Wood told a story on OBL yesterday about how a few years ago they had a similar preseason with the offensive line. Everyone dumped on them and the narrative all around the league was about how bad the oline in Buffalo was.

Then they went on to lead the league in rushing and gave up among the fewest sacks in the NFL.

His point was that preseason can be very different from the regular season.

We may have a bad oline or may not, but it has nothing to do with how they performed in the preseason.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Buffalo Bills QB Nathan Peterman will be 'human pinata' behind bad offensive line, says NFL analyst Bucky Brooks

NFL network analyst Bucky Brooks thinks Buffalo Bills quarterback Nathan Peterman is in big trouble after being named the team's starting quarterback and edging out rookie first-round pick Josh Allen.

"You're the human pinata. That's what (Peterman) is," Brooks said on his "Move The Sticks" podcast this week. "He's the human pinata. He's going to get beat to a pulp; They're gonna sacrifice him for four games before Josh Allen goes in. And man, those defenses. If he had a problem with the Chargers last year that first game. I'm not saying he'll throw five picks but it's gonna be tough."

Brooks' co-host Daniel Jeremiah thinks the Bills will struggle to protect Peterman or Allen this season behind a poor offensive line.

"Congratulations on winning the job. Your offensive line stinks and you get to play the Ravens, the Chargers, the Vikings and the Packers," Jeremiah said. "(Peterman has) played great in the preseason - I don't want to get that lost - (but) it's the preseason. When you look at their offensive line, it's not good up front. I don't know how they're going to be able to block these teams."

Ohhhh BOY! Peterman's in BIIIIGGGGG TROUBLE GUYS! What do we do, Bucky, WHAT DO WE DO?!?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

Eric Wood told a story on OBL yesterday about how a few years ago they had a similar preseason with the offensive line. Everyone dumped on them and the narrative all around the league was about how bad the oline in Buffalo was.

Then they went on to lead the league in rushing and gave up among the fewest sacks in the NFL.

We may have a bad oline or may not, but it has nothing to do with how they performed in the preseason.

It certainly isn't based just on the preseason as many predicted the OL would struggle this season with the talent (or lack thereof) on hand after the offseason departures. 

By tomorrow the world will know. I'm hoping the scheme can minimize the damage. With all the new bull **** rules we may pick up a few "roughing" penalties.  I think we all hope for the best and plan for the worst.  It will be interesting to see if any of the vet OL out there have been contacted.  If Ducasse can hold up and Miller can minimize the penalties we may survive.  

I think Nate is better than what the experts give him credit for. Not top 15 but not bottom 5 either.  He will be an upgrade over Tyrod. It will be interesting to see how TT does with all those weapons in CLE. 

TT. 16-31 211 yds 1TD  6 Rushes for 41.  2 sacks

NP 21-28 284  2TDs 1 INT  2 rushes for 7 yds.  4 sacks

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

Exactly. Logic says the line will be bad, but how often does football follow logic. Look at last year to see how predictably units play week-to-week. After the 3-game-dive in the middle of the season, there was no reason to think our line could block anyone or our defense had a clue how to tackle, then the following week in KC, they played well.

Our line (as well as other teams' lines) has been deemed "terrible" many times in the past only to take the field and do just fine. The opposite is true as well. We'll get the first glimpse tomorrow. Hopefully, we'll all be pleasantly surprised, even if we have no reason to expect that. 

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

I remember this, they were brutal last preseason too. I’m interested to see how they play against Baltimore. Peterman gets the ball pit quick so I wouldn’t be surprised if the line held up.

24 minutes ago, MJS said:

It’s possible the Bengals did them a huge favor.  It’s our only hope.

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

I just hope he lasts through those first four games. I pray they don’t have to scrape him off the turf in the second quarter if the FIRST game. 

I hope the game plan is about 15 quick throws and only 3 strategically placed 25+ yard throws, and more than 30 run plays (end arounds, draws, quick counts, a whole lot of Shady hitting the hole in a hurry).  Everything should be designed to frustrate the pass rush.  We either win or lose 20-17.  Nate will be fine as long as he doesn't have to throw more than 20xs.

45 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Classic case of I don’t like him cause he talked bad about my team..

hes 100% correct wether people want to hear it or not 

I strongly dislike Bucky Brooks and his over the top hot takes he normally has. That said this take is a fair point and not anything different than you would read right here on this very site. The line has looked bad. I do think it will look better than it has, but until it does it's a major concern. 

Edited by No Place To Hyde

6 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

What about that terrible line in New England Houston will feast this weekend. Hoyer better be ready to play.

Oh no, Brady will not be able to do anything against that after almost two decades of shredding it

Just now, row_33 said:

Oh no, Brady will not be able to do anything against that after almost two decades of shredding it

That's probably the most interesting game to watch tomorrow. Brady WR less sans Hogan, All new offensive line without Solder against a healthy Houston team.

51 minutes ago, MJS said:

While different positions , it’s funny that the preseason can’t be used to gauge Peterman’s ability but Can be used to do so for the O- line as a whole?( According to some of the finest minds TBD has to offer)

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Well, Bucky seems to be echoing a viewpoint that a number of folks here have expressed - to put Peterman out as a sacrifice behind our OL.

In reality, I think folks need to look back at Peterman's performance in the Carolina game, 1st preseason game. 

I can't find one of those "every Peterman throw" mashups, but this Cover1 video has a pretty good assessment, I think.  He points out how Peterman can be decisive with getting the ball out quickly, and that Daboll game-planned to that strength.

I didn't seem to see the same game planning in Game 2 or 3.  I think Daboll went vanilla.  There was no chipping by backs or TE, there was little misdirection in the play design.  I'm not saying the OL looked great against the Panthers, but Peterman was able to cope.  It's worth keeping in mind that Carolina had a better defense than Cincy last year. 

We'll see.  It really depends on a few things IMO:

1) can Benjamin and Clay stay healthy and make the catches when it counts?  Benjamin looked great PS week 1.

2) will Zay Jones step up, or are we looking at "Butterfingers Part 2"

3) will both our starting Tackles stay healthy, because there's a huge talent drop off, I might say talent cliff, behind them?  Especially Dawkins.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, Bucky seems to be echoing a viewpoint that a number of folks here have expressed - to put Peterman out as a sacrifice behind our OL.

In reality, I think folks need to look back at Peterman's performance in the Carolina game, 1st preseason game.  It's worth keeping in mind that Carolina had a better defense than Cincy last year when you do. 

I can't find one of those "every Peterman throw" mashups, but this Cover1 video has a pretty good assessment, I think.  He points out how Peterman can be decisive with getting the ball out quickly, and that Daboll game-planned to that strength.

I didn't seem to see the same game planning in Game 2 or 3.  I think Daboll went vanilla.  There was no chipping by backs or TE, there was little misdirection in the play design.  I'm not saying the OL looked great against the Panthers, but Peterman was able to cope.

1) can Benjamin and Clay stay healthy and make the catches when it counts?  Benjamin looked great PS week 1.

3) will both our starting Tackles stay healthy, because there's a huge talent drop off, I might say talent cliff, behind them?  Especially Dawkins.

The 1st preseason game was a picnic compared to what the Bengals and Browns brought regarding pressure with their respective 1st team DLs in games 2 and 3.   McCarron and Allen were under siege. 

17 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

What about that terrible line in New England Houston will feast this weekend. Hoyer better be ready to play.

I would just love to believe that, unfortunately I've spent too many seasons thinking just that only to find out between Brady getting the ball out quickly, Geritol King Dante Scarnecchia's OL coaching and schemes, and the tub of entrails** BB keeps in which to immerse players who make mistakes, NE pulls out competent OL play every year.

**NSFS (not safe for stomach)

I think we all have the same concerns. Peterman has a good pocket presence, accuracy, and quick release which will help. We have quality TEs, a hall of fame RB, and good blocking FB so Dabol needs to be creative and bring a little NE twist to the offense. I hope Castillo can coach up this OL to overachieve. 

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The 1st preseason game was a picnic compared to what the Bengals and Browns brought regarding pressure with their respective 1st team DLs in games 2 and 3.   McCarron and Allen were under siege. 

Look again at Peterman's play in the 1st PS game.  He was under tremendous pressure, but the ball was already gone before they got there. 

Cover1 points out the timing.

My concern isn't the pressure, it's whether Peterman's improved ability to decode Ds and make the right call (aided by Daboll's pre-snap motion and misdirection plays) will keep him from his Achilles heel - misreading the D and throwing to the other team.

We'll see.

If having a little "sh** in our grits" from being dissed off inspires pro football OLmen as 'Cog indicated, the Bills OL should be highly inspired by now.

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In reality, I think folks need to look back at Peterman's performance in the Carolina game, 1st preseason game. 

I didn't seem to see the same game planning in Game 2 or 3.  I think Daboll went vanilla.  There was no chipping by backs or TE, there was little misdirection in the play design.  I'm not saying the OL looked great against the Panthers, but Peterman was able to cope.  It's worth keeping in mind that Carolina had a better defense than Cincy last year. 

One more addition, Will we commit to the run?

This line showed much better run blocking in the PS and I think we have a better stable of backs this year.

Edited by Buffalo Boy