Bucky Brooks: Nathan Peterman Will Be "Human Pinata" Behind Bad Offensive Line

26CornerBlitz

I think folks should go back to preseason game 1 and look at how well the offense moved the ball.  They were using a lot of pre-snap motion, never giving the defense the same look and basically kept them on their heels.  After that 1st game, they never did it again throughout the preseason. I have a sneaking suspicion that the offense is going to be pretty good.  While everyone is focused on the OL looking poor without a legit LT and moving Groy around to guard and center, it certainly looked like a tire fire. I'm kind of thinking that the OL is better than all the talk. Not that I think they are great, but perhaps surprisingly good.

Bucky Brooks has always been a hot take kind of guy. He'll never even get called out when he's proven wrong.  Just another day in Bills land.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rockinon said:

I think folks should go back to preseason game 1 and look at how well the offense moved the ball.  They were using a lot of pre-snap motion, never giving the defense the same look and basically kept them on their heels.  After that 1st game, they never did it again throughout the preseason. I have a sneaking suspicion that the offense is going to be pretty good.  While everyone is focused on the OL looking poor without a legit LT and moving Groy around to guard and center, it certainly looked like a tire fire. I'm kind of thinking that the OL is better than all the talk. Not that I think they are great, but perhaps surprisingly good.

Bucky Brooks has always been a hot take kind of guy. He'll never even get called out when he's proven wrong.  Just another day in Bills land.

It wasn't just Brooks opinion of the Bills' OL:

Brooks' co-host Daniel Jeremiah thinks the Bills will struggle to protect Peterman or Allen this season behind a poor offensive line.

"Congratulations on winning the job. Your offensive line stinks and you get to play the Ravens, the Chargers, the Vikings and the Packers," Jeremiah said. "(Peterman has) played great in the preseason - I don't want to get that lost - (but) it's the preseason. When you look at their offensive line, it's not good up front. I don't know how they're going to be able to block these teams."

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It wasn't just Brooks opinion of the Bills' OL:

Brooks' co-host Daniel Jeremiah thinks the Bills will struggle to protect Peterman or Allen this season behind a poor offensive line.

"Congratulations on winning the job. Your offensive line stinks and you get to play the Ravens, the Chargers, the Vikings and the Packers," Jeremiah said. "(Peterman has) played great in the preseason - I don't want to get that lost - (but) it's the preseason. When you look at their offensive line, it's not good up front. I don't know how they're going to be able to block these teams."

I know it wasn't just Bucky, but the title of the thread does only mention him.  Still, "the sky is falling" mentality around the Bill's OL is IMO way overblown. Can't wait for tomorrow. Guess the optimist in me just won't allow getting sucked into the doom and gloom bubble on opening weekend.

36 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I don’t care about stats or how bad Brooks was as a WR or a draft pick. He managed to hang around in the NFL for 5 years and that’s doing ok for himself. Decent, in other words.  He wasn’t a starting CB or anything , just a DB in the league. If I had to pick a worst 2 nd rounder for the Bills it would be Torrel Troup ( ?). He was picked while Gronkowski was on the board and barely suited up for the Bills due to constant injury issues. Don’t know if he ever even appeared in a game. Was a higher 2nd rounder than Brooks as well. Anyway, it doesn’t have any effect on the validity of Brook’s opinions. That is the larger point. 

Oh no, it doesn’t I agree with you.  I only kept talking about this point because 26CB defended it so strongly and gen refused to elaborate.  I like listening to Bucky and I think he’s a good analyst.  His point here about the OL is legit.  I can can’t hear his name without remembering what a huge disappointment was for the Bills.  

Now what I do disagree is what you would consider “decent” at CB.  Not all players that play in the NFL are “decent” by pro standards.  Many are below average.  Bucky certainly fits on the below average category.  Why do you think he played so few games for teams?  He wasn’t good and they moved on from him fast.  If you want to say Bucky “played DB in the NFL” then that’s fair.  But he did not have a “decent” career.  He didn’t have a good career at all.

By your logic Lafayette Pitts is a “decent”

cornerback.  Chris Watson is “decent”. That’s not the case.  

I’ll say this he does deserve a lot of credit for returning from injury and playing a position on the opposite side of the ball.  Very few players are able to do this at the NFL level.  But Polian essentially drafted a WR that really didn’t have the ability to play the position at the pro level.  A terrible pick.  

Edited by BuffaloRush

4 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Bucky Brooks....one of the biggest busts in Bills history.  Enough said.

In all reality, it’s a fair take though I think the are forgetting that Peterman gets the ball out quick to negate the rush.  Plus the Bills coaches have to know how bad the line is at pass blocking.  Expect lots of game planning 

...good assessment bud.......game planning to your personnel's strengths and mitigating their weaknesses as best as possible in the same plan separates the good coaches from the "not so good coaches"........so let's see what happens........of course, anticipate the pundits yipping about "what if your personnel has no strengths"......oh well........

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...good assessment bud.......game planning to your personnel's strengths and mitigating their weaknesses as best as possible in the same plan separates the good coaches from the "not so good coaches"........so let's see what happens........of course, anticipate the pundits yipping about "what if your personnel has no strengths"......oh well........

Sure but remember, these guys are on TV.  They take strong positions so it’s an entertaining to watch.  Plus they follow all 32 teams.  Based on what we saw in the preseason, the comments make sense.  Th Bills 1st team OL was really bad

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Sure but remember, these guys are on TV.  They take strong positions so it’s an entertaining to watch.  Plus they follow all 32 teams.  Based on what we saw in the preseason, the comments make sense.  Th Bills 1st team OL was really bad

...yup...so far they've pretty much resembled "F Troop" with Sgt O'Rourke (9 Juan Juan Castillo) leading the charge...let's hope Daboll pulls a rabbit outta his hat....or....elsewhere...

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...yup...so far they've pretty much resembled "F Troop" with Sgt O'Rourke (9 Juan Juan Castillo) leading the charge...let's hope Daboll pulls a rabbit outta his hat....or....elsewhere...

If it's elsewhere, I hope it's a whole litter of them. 

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Quick drops, quick throws.  Delays, draws.  Be interesting to see what Daboll draws up.

I think what's being lost in this scheme planning is that opposing defenses will also know that the QB will look to hit quick, short throws because of the lack of protection. CBs will be playing man press coverage and jump routes. Safeties won't play too deep as there is no WR on this team to stretch the field. It's going to be tough sledding if this offense can't  go deep from time to time and give NP some breathing room.

Just now, billsbackto81 said:

I think what's being lost in this scheme planning is that opposing defenses will also know that the QB will look to hit quick, short throws because of the lack of protection. CBs will be playing man press coverage and jump routes. Safeties won't play too deep as there is no WR on this team to stretch the field. It's going to be tough sledding if this offense can't  go deep from time to time and give NP some breathing room.

Yes, it is a chess game.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Oh no, it doesn’t I agree with you.  I only kept talking about this point because 26CB defended it so strongly and gen refused to elaborate.  I like listening to Bucky and I think he’s a good analyst.  His point here about the OL is legit.  I can can’t hear his name without remembering what a huge disappointment was for the Bills.  

Now what I do disagree is what you would consider “decent” at CB.  Not all players that play in the NFL are “decent” by pro standards.  Many are below average.  Bucky certainly fits on the below average category.  Why do you think he played so few games for teams?  He wasn’t good and they moved on from him fast.  If you want to say Bucky “played DB in the NFL” then that’s fair.  But he did not have a “decent” career.  He didn’t have a good career at all.

By your logic Lafayette Pitts is a “decent”

cornerback.  Chris Watson is “decent”. That’s not the case.  

I’ll say this he does deserve a lot of credit for returning from injury and playing a position on the opposite side of the ball.  Very few players are able to do this at the NFL level.  But Polian essentially drafted a WR that really didn’t have the ability to play the position at the pro level.  A terrible pick.  

You are misconstruing what I said about Brooks. I said he had a “ decent stint” as a DB. That doesn’t make any judgment on the kind of player he was. The average NFL career is still somewhere around 3 years. Brooks was in the league for 5. That’s a decent amount of time and he did OK for himself. He was nowhere near a top player in the league, nor are the players you mentioned. For the very few who ever get a chance to be an NFL player, sticking in the league as a backup, ST player or whatever for 5 years is doing better than average. Also, just a side note: I don’t think Brooks was drafted by Polian. He was fired after SB XXVII, and Brooks was drafted in ‘94. That would make him a John Butler draft pick. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

What I don't get is how in one sentence Daniel Jeremiah says that Peterman looked good in preseason but had to point out its JUST preseason...and then followed it up with how poor the line played...in the PRESEASON.  I'm not sitting here saying Peterman OR the line will be good but if people want to discount preseason it should be consistent and not just cherry picked to fit an agenda. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Not every team has a great defense so there will be weeks we dominate 

Ahhhh, not sure we do either.  Time will tell.  Our D will be well organized, but who knows how they will perform.  If they don't get the take-aways they got last year, it will be a long season.

8 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

What I don't get is how in one sentence Daniel Jeremiah says that Peterman looked good in preseason but had to point out its JUST preseason...and then followed it up with how poor the line played...in the PRESEASON.  I'm not sitting here saying Peterman OR the line will be good but if people want to discount preseason it should be consistent and not just cherry picked to fit an agenda. 

He pointed out the lack of quality players on the OL.  He said nothing about how they played in preseason. When you look at their offensive line, it's not good up front. I don't know how they're going to be able to block these teams."

7 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Bucky Brooks....one of the biggest busts in Bills history.  Enough said.

In all reality, it’s a fair take though I think the are forgetting that Peterman gets the ball out quick to negate the rush.  Plus the Bills coaches have to know how bad the line is at pass blocking.  Expect lots of game planning 

One of the biggest busts???? Bigger than Walt Patulski, Perry Tuttle, Mike Williams, Aaron Maybin, John McCargo, J.P. Losman, or E.J. Manuel???? I think not. LOL Bucky wasn't even a first rounder!!!

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

6 hours ago, Ga boy said:

I hope the game plan is about 15 quick throws and only 3 strategically placed 25+ yard throws, and more than 30 run plays (end arounds, draws, quick counts, a whole lot of Shady hitting the hole in a hurry).  Everything should be designed to frustrate the pass rush.  We either win or lose 20-17.  Nate will be fine as long as he doesn't have to throw more than 20xs.

I'm probably crazy but I keep getting the feeling we are going to blow them out.  More than likely I'm crazy though.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Ahhhh, not sure we do either.  Time will tell.  Our D will be well organized, but who knows how they will perform.  If they don't get the take-aways they got last year, it will be a long season.

Im talking about our o line. Not every team will get to Nate at will. 

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He pointed out the lack of quality players on the OL.  He said nothing about how they played in preseason. When you look at their offensive line, it's not good up front. I don't know how they're going to be able to block these teams."

And he's basing that on......preseason.  This is an all new line for the most part so the only evidence of their performance is from the preseason...which they discounted because it didn't fit what they wanted to get across.

9 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

And he's basing that on......preseason.  This is an all new line for the most part so the only evidence of their performance is from the preseason...which they discounted because it didn't fit what they wanted to get across.

No he's not. Many projected the OL as a weakness well before the preseason began and that is based on the personnel on the team and their previous preformances.  

23 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No he's not. Many projected the OL as a weakness well before the preseason began and that is based on the personnel on the team and their previous preformances.  

But that's not what he said.  You are trying to fill in the blanks with his logic...it is pretty clear he is basing all of his assessment on the preseason, which should just be consisten (i.e. if saying preseason performance doesn't count for one...it should not count for all)

18 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

But that's not what he said.  You are trying to fill in the blanks with his logic...it is pretty clear he is basing all of his assessment on the preseason, which should just be consisten (i.e. if saying preseason performance doesn't count for one...it should not count for all)

You're assigning words that weren't written that aren't clear at all.  Not one mention of preseason in what he wrote regarding the OL. You act as if he's unfamilar with NFL and College players. He mentioned Dawkins and Miller as potentially good players for the Bills moving forward. You seem to forget that Jeremiah was a scout who watches both college and regular season pro film with assessments on all of them except the one rookie in Teller.   If Wood and Incognito were still Bills I'll bet the tune would be different, but without them the unit was projected to be a weakness before one down was played in preseason. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You're assigning words that weren't written that aren't clear at all.  Not one mention of preseason in what he wrote regarding the OL. You act as if he's unfamilar with NFL player and College players. He mentioned Dawkins and Miller as potentially good players for the Bills moving forward. You seem to forget that Jeremiah was a scout who watches both college and regular season pro film with assessments on all of them except the one rookie in Teller.   If Wood and Incognito were still Bills I'll bet the tune would be different, but without them the unit was projected to be a weakness before one down was played in preseason. 

I would almost guarantee he would not have used language like "I don't know how they are going to block anyone" had it not been for the cindy preseason game which was admittedly terrible for the line. I do believe that game changed most analyst's view of the line...which was not highly touted to begin with but the cindy game clearly made analysts cream their jeans about how bad the line will be...again, based on preseason. I actually think the line will struggle a lot.  I just think analyst most certainly ARE using preseason to inconsistently strengthen and weaken certain position groups' outlook.  Just be consistent.

42 minutes ago, Dave Allen said:

Hot take: Peterman looked great in preseason, but it means nothing because it's only preseason.

In the same breath: The OL looked horrible in preseason, which means they are horrible. 

Dave has an excellent point.  You can’t have it both ways.   It’s nice to see something thinking objectively rather than trying to blindly defend someone because they like them.  

Worst Bills 2nd round draft pick ever

1 minute ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I would almost guarantee he would not have used language like "I don't know how they are going to block anyone" had it not been for the cindy preseason game which was admittedly terrible for the line. I do believe that game changed most analyst's view of the line...which was not highly touted to begin with but the cindy game clearly made analysts cream their jeans about how bad the line will be...again, based on preseason. I actually think the line will struggle a lot.  I just think analyst most certainly ARE using preseason to inconsistently strengthen and weaken certain position groups' outlook.  Just be consistent.

This is all an assumption by you with no evidence.  He specifically mention Peterman's preseason as a qualifier to temper expectations which he did not do with regard to the OL. 

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

One of the biggest busts???? Bigger than Walt Patulski, Perry Tuttle, Mike Williams, Aaron Maybin, John McCargo, J.P. Losman, or E.J. Manuel???? I think not. LOL Bucky wasn't even a first rounder!!!

How many games did Bucky play for the Bills?

biggest bust of all time 

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

You are misconstruing what I said about Brooks. I said he had a “ decent stint” as a DB. That doesn’t make any judgment on the kind of player he was. The average NFL career is still somewhere around 3 years. Brooks was in the league for 5. That’s a decent amount of time and he did OK for himself. He was nowhere near a top player in the league, nor are the players you mentioned. For the very few who ever get a chance to be an NFL player, sticking in the league as a backup, ST player or whatever for 5 years is doing better than average. Also, just a side note: I don’t think Brooks was drafted by Polian. He was fired after SB XXVII, and Brooks was drafted in ‘94. That would make him a John Butler draft pick. 

Again, Brooks was not “decent.”  To me, decent means a player is ok....serviceable when needed.  The Bills have several decent lineman on the team.

As a DB, Bucky was far from decent.  He was given multiple chances and he failed to sustain any success.  He never even hung on for an entire season.  Teams cut him after a few games before he was bad.

Bucky was not decent....he was below average.  It’s ok to admit that

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This is all an assumption by you with no evidence.  He specifically mention Peterman's preseason as a qualifier to temper expectations which he did not do with regard to the OL. 

No he’s spot on and he defeated you using your own logic.  The Bills OL has never played 1 game as a unit.  Using the body of work in the preseason to evaluate the performance of players during the season can be misleading.  

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

How many games did Bucky play for the Bills?

biggest bust of all time 

Again, Brooks was not “decent.”  To me, decent means a player is ok....serviceable when needed.  The Bills have several decent lineman on the team.

As a DB, Bucky was far from decent.  He was given multiple chances and he failed to sustain any success.  He never even hung on for an entire season.  Teams cut him after a few games before he was bad.

Bucky was not decent....he was below average.  It’s ok to admit that

No he’s spot on and he defeated you using your own logic.  The Bills OL has never played 1 game as a unit.  Using the body of work in the preseason to evaluate the performance of players during the season can be misleading.  

He assumes Jeremiah is evaluating those players based on preseason which there is zero evidence of.  Using the preseason as barometer of what will happen in the regular season can be misleading? Really? Thanks for telling me and thanks for stating in your 1st post in this thread that there will be lots of game planning. No one knew either of these, but thanks to you we've been educated. :lol: