Week 1: Ravens Game Preparation - Nathan Peterman & Groy Starting

/dev/null

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

They'll probably say Baltimore sucks.

Yeah, they'll probably call for a fire sale of the roster.  Baltimore has a lot of older guys (over 30) who weigh heavily on their cap - Flacco, Marshall Yanda, Eric Weddle, Jimmy Smith.  It seems like they are thinking more toward the future and hoping for the best this year.  I think this is a winnable game for Buffalo. 

56 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Local San Diego radio hosts were almost dying laughing today over Nathan Peterman being named the starter. 

You have to hit rock bottom before admitting there is a problem, and only then can you start to recover

53 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

All these gloom and doom predictions most likely will not come to fruition.  I can't wait to see what these people say when the Bills pull out a win over Baltimore.

In the year 2055?

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

You have to hit rock bottom before admitting there is a problem, and only then can you start to recover

In the year 2055?

No, this coming Sunday.  I don't know why some people here think Baltimore is some special team with SB hopes.  They're an aging team that will most likely be looking to rebuild after this season.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Make or break year for Harbaugh. 

Completely agree.  He's getting a little long in the tooth.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Either way they are the better team. 

Maybe at first glance, on paper.  But I certainly wouldn't give them this game.  This is far from the 2012 Ravens that won the SB.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

No, this coming Sunday.  I don't know why some people here think Baltimore is some special team with SB hopes.  They're an aging team that will most likely be looking to rebuild after this season.

Right? It blows my mind how almost every single offseason the hype train is always carrying the ravens and every single year they are a middling team. Is it one playoff berth since 2012? 

YAWN.

i mean. Don’t get me wrong. They could very well handle us in BALT but they’ve done nothing of note in a very long time. I just don’t understand the praise year in and year out. 

3 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Agree, and if they run some variations of that the corners won't be able to sit on that route so tight.  That and they can work on timing and ball placement.  You have to believe that the coaches and Nate will continue to work on this. 

I'm sure they are, but that arm strength is what it is.  Maybe if they roll him out it would work better.

6 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Any poles on here about how Peterman will fare? How long will he be the starter? 

more than enough

sorry, I won't look them up for you.  2 hints 

Over Under thread by some sports book.  

Any Peterman thread   etc 

if I missed the sarc my apologies 

I’m interested to see what this offense looks like.  I’d rather Allen start, but completely understand that Peterman just flat out won the job.  If his preseason play translates to the regular season, we’ll be a pretty good football team.  If it doesn’t, the Josh Allen era begins this season.  

Also interested to see Daboll’s offense.  Love that Groy is starting, as he’s a solid C.  I think we’ll be utilizing our RBs and TEs a lot - both in the run and passing game. 

17 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I'm surprised at how cheap the rams and texans offenses are

Has to be the rookie deals for Goff, Kupp, higbee, and a couple others

cooks extension pays him less this year, and it jumps next year

that # is going to jump really fast

10 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Has to be the rookie deals for Goff, Kupp, higbee, and a couple others

cooks extension pays him less this year, and it jumps next year

that # is going to jump really fast

Texans got more FA money next year than the Bills do.

FWIW

15 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yikes!

“The Bengals would have done anything in their power to get rid of Russell Bodine.....”.

Also disagree on his comment about how “trading for Kelvin Benjamin was always a head scratcher. 

The Bills were 5-2 at the time, absolutely desperate for WR help and traded a 3rd for a damn good WR who was instantly the best WR on the roster. They improved the position in the midst of a playoff push last season, and still have Benjamin under contract this season. What’s so hard to understand about making that trade? 

I agree with his general point about the WR group.

Obviously the WR corps is still a huge work in progress (for many reasons including cap space and no established QB which makes it harder to sign FA’s), but that doesn’t make acquiring KB a bad move. Quite the opposite IMO. 

Until the Bills have a QB that will help entice WR’s to sign here, or the cap space to overpay a free agent (neither are the case yet), trading for a guy is probably their best bet. And I know I’d rather have KB for a 3rd than Martavis Bryant for the same price... 

Were there other trades available to the Bills? I don’t know. 

Kinda funny he was talking up Vontae Davis too, after the preseason he’s had. 

Overall though, I totally get his lack of confidence in this current Bills team. 

21 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

“The Bengals would have done anything in their power to get rid of Russell Bodine.....”.

Also disagree on his comment about how “trading for Kelvin Benjamin was always a head scratcher. 

The Bills were 5-2 at the time, absolutely desperate for WR help and traded a 3rd for a damn good WR who was instantly the best WR on the roster. They improved the position in the midst of a playoff push last season, and still have Benjamin under contract this season. What’s so hard to understand about making that trade? 

I agree with his general point about the WR group.

Obviously the WR corps is still a huge work in progress (for many reasons including cap space and no established QB which makes it harder to sign FA’s), but that doesn’t make acquiring KB a bad move. Quite the opposite IMO. 

Until the Bills have a QB that will help entice WR’s to sign here, or the cap space to overpay a free agent (neither are the case yet), trading for a guy is probably their best bet. And I know I’d rather have KB for a 3rd than Martavis Bryant for the same price... 

Were there other trades available to the Bills? I don’t know. 

Kinda funny he was talking up Vontae Davis too, after the preseason he’s had. 

Overall though, I totally get his lack of confidence in this current Bills team. 

Zay needs to play up to his potential and k Benj need to play every snap like it’s a preseason game vs the pathners. 

If these two things happen WR is ok. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Completely agree.  He's getting a little long in the tooth.

Maybe at first glance, on paper.  But I certainly wouldn't give them this game.  This is far from the 2012 Ravens that won the SB.

Your statements show you don't know the team at all IMO.  The Ravens are actually loaded with players ready to step in for the aging vets.  At OLB for instance, Suggs is very long in the tooth but they have Tim Williams, Bowser, Judon, Za'Darius Smith all ready to take over.  That's two deep on each side.  At CB, Jimmy Smith and Carr are old, but they have Humphrey, Averrett, Hill, Young already to step in.  Young is the starting Nickel and only in his 3rd year.  The OL other than Yanda is young.  The TE's are fairly new.  So I'm not seeing this old over the hill team you are talking about.  Sure the Safeties and Suggs are old, but most of the guys are either hitting their prime or are getting ready too.

It's easy to predict the Ravens winning this game based on familiarity and domination in the trenches from Pierce and Williams.  I don't think we have anyone that can block either of them in the run game.  When I mention familiarity, I'm talking about Juan and Frasier.  Those guys over there know them and they also know Ducasse and probably whipped his ass a lot.  They also know Bodine and did whip him a lot.  But Groy is starting and I'm not sure if that's much better.  In either case we'll see Sunday.  I just want the Bills to have an OK showing.

I take the statement, games are won in the trenches literally and in this game I see the Bills outmatched both ways.  I think the Bills defensive line vs the Ravens OL will be more interesting to watch than the Ravens DL vs the Bills OL.  I think one good thing for us to do would be to overload Orlando Brown Jr on the right side.  Give him all kind of looks and see if he can handle protecting Flacco from that side, but other than that, I think their OL is capable of sustaining who we have up front until we show otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1

there isn't game prep w/o complaining about Pete Prisco 

Buffalo at Baltimore  1 p.m. ET (CBS)

The Bills have issues in a lot of spots and quarterback is No. 1 on that list. They will start Nathan Peterman, who threw five picks in a half in his first start in 2017. This won't be that bad, but it won't be good either against an improved Ravens defense. Joe Flacco will also have a big day. Ravens big.

Pick: Ravens 31, Bills 17

Fast 4Ward - Storylines to Watch: Bills at Ravens

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - Nathan Peterman and Ryan Groy have been named the Bills starting quarterback and center, respectively.  However there are still questions about how the offense and team will perform on the road in Week 1 against the Ravens.

1. Can the Bills protect Nathan Peterman?

2. Ball-Hawking Defense

3. Secondary options and questions

4. Can the Bills generate a pass rush?

37 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Your statements show you don't know the team at all IMO.  The Ravens are actually loaded with players ready to step in for the aging vets.  At OLB for instance, Suggs is very long in the tooth but they have Tim Williams, Bowser, Judon, Za'Darius Smith all ready to take over.  That's two deep on each side.  At CB, Jimmy Smith and Carr are old, but they have Humphrey, Averrett, Hill, Young already to step in.  Young is the starting Nickel and only in his 3rd year.  The OL other than Yanda is young.  The TE's are fairly new.  So I'm not seeing this old over the hill team you are talking about.  Sure the Safeties and Suggs are old, but most of the guys are either hitting their prime or are getting ready too.

It's easy to predict the Ravens winning this game based on familiarity and domination in the trenches from Pierce and Williams.  I don't think we have anyone that can block either of them in the run game.  When I mention familiarity, I'm talking about Juan and Frasier.  Those guys over there know them and they also know Ducasse and probably whipped his ass a lot.  They also know Bodine and did whip him a lot.  But Groy is starting and I'm not sure if that's much better.  In either case we'll see Sunday.  I just want the Bills to have an OK showing.

I take the statement, games are won in the trenches literally and in this game I see the Bills outmatched both ways.  I think the Bills defensive line vs the Ravens OL will be more interesting to watch than the Ravens DL vs the Bills OL.  I think one good thing for us to do would be to overload Orlando Brown Jr on the right side.  Give him all kind of looks and see if he can handle protecting Flacco from that side, but other than that, I think their OL is capable of sustaining who we have up front until we show otherwise.

I don't.  IMO, you're giving them a little too much credit.  Like the Bills, the Raven's strength will be the defense, mostly the Dline and secondary.  It will be interesting to see how much time the Bills' Oline can give Peterman to throw.  If they can give him 2-3 seconds, that should be sufficient.  Hopefully our run blocking (which should be better than pass blocking) will give Shady, Ivory, and Murphy lanes to run through.  CJ Mosley is good, but he's no Ray Lewis.  We could have a good day running the ball, assuming we don't give them enough of an incentive to stack the box.

Their Oline is not dominant.  From a WalterFootball article

The Ravens were also expected to bolster both the offensive line and rushing attack this offseason, but Flacco's contract prevented that from happening. In fact, the blocking unit figures to be worse in the wake of the departures of center Ryan Jensen and right tackle Austin Howard. Neither lineman was great, but neither was a liability either. Their replacements - center Matt Skura and right tackle Alex Lewis - are both atrocious football players and would have difficulty making other 53-man rosters. The same goes for left guard James Hurst, who might be the worst blocker on the entire front. 

There are two capable blockers in left tackle Ronnie Stanley and elite right guard Marshal Yanda, but they won't be enough to keep Flacco's pocket clean. They also won't be able to open enough holes for mediocre running back Alex Collins, who was not upgraded. Kenneth Dixon is coming back from injury and suspension, but it remains to be seen if John Harbaugh will trust him. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/offseason2018bal.php#ixzz5QA1BU1jx

Our defense could have a very good day against Flacco, who is prone to turnovers, and a less than dominant run game.  Again, this is not the 2012 Ravens, and certainly not the 2000 Ravens.  It is a middle of the pack team hoping to get to the playoffs, and no expectations of a SB run.

11 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

We'll see but I don't see us Running or passing all that well against the Ravens.  I just hope we don't get shut out.  That's exactly how much faith I have in our offense.

I hear you, and I may be an optimist.  Our offense, especially the Oline, showed little in preseason.  Maybe we didn't see then what we'll see on Sunday and we're not quite as bad as it appears...I hope.

Run game "wizard" Greg Roman is on the Baltimore sideline.  I think the Bills need to be far more concerned with defending the run than the pass.

That said, this Ravens team is no juggernaut.  They may very well win and shut down the Bills' offense, but I don't think they're putting up more than 13 points of offense without help from their D or ST.