Week 1: Ravens Game Preparation - Nathan Peterman & Groy Starting

/dev/null

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Official injury statuses for the game don't come out until Friday.

Oh I know but I didn’t think there were really any issues with him at all this week. I know there were very minor issues like two weeks ago. 

1 minute ago, eball said:

That's just McD throwing some Shade at the Ravens.

And then he turned ten years old?

2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

No, I'd say Dennison was holding them back and Daboll is an upgrade. When they put up 775 points and 11,500 yards over 2 consecutive seasons we can talk about the QB.

I'd say it would unquestionably be a bit of both. Not this year, but in future, they expect Allen to be better than Tyrod and to make the pick worth it he has to be. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd say it would unquestionably be a bit of both. Not this year, but in future, they expect Allen to be better than Tyrod and to make the pick worth it he has to be. 

Allen, undoubtedly. Peterman, no. And scoring 300 points to be comparable to the distinctly worst of 3 years of offense says little about the QB that played the majority of all 3 years. Dennison was a toddler slamming square pegs into round and triangular holes.

Cover 1's Erik Turner Breaks Down Bills vs. Ravens for The Athletic:

Bills Film Room: Scouting the Week 1 Matchup with the Ravens...

USATSI_10240433-1024x683.jpg

The Bills’ 2018 season kicks off this weekend against the Baltimore Ravens – the team they faced to open their 2016 campaign – and this matchup is setting up to be a similar dogfight. In that game, the Ravens squeaked out a win at home 13-7.

Starting quarterback Tyrod Taylor was under pressure on 44.4% of his dropbacks and was ultimately sacked two times. Taylor finished 15 for 22 for 11 yards and zero touchdowns. LeSean McCoy only racked up 58 yards on 16 carries and crossed the goal line one time as the Ravens simply manhandled the Bills offense and had just enough offensive output to pull out the win.

This matchup at M&T Bank Field will likely unfold in a similar manner. The Bills announced Nathan Peterman as the starter for the game and he flat out earned the gig this preseason, finishing 33/41 for 431 yards and three touchdowns. Peterman saw the field rather well, identified coverages quickly and got the ball out of his hand. In fact, per Pro Football Focus (PFF) from snap to attempt, Peterman got the ball out in 2.29 seconds, which tied him with Patriots QB Tom Brady.

Getting the ball out quickly will likely be a common theme this season seeing as most fans expect the Bills offensive line to be one of the worst. If the Bills have any shot at putting drives together and points on the board, they will have to rely on Peterman’s pre to post snap processing along with his quick trigger.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

17 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Allen, undoubtedly. Peterman, no. And scoring 300 points to be comparable to the distinctly worst of 3 years of offense says little about the QB that played the majority of all 3 years. Dennison was a toddler slamming square pegs into round and triangular holes.

Dennison was brought here to run is offense. You want to blame anyone it is on McDermott. I said the day he was appointed Dennison can coach but he is a system guy and Tyrod doesn't fit his system.

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Bills’ 2018 season kicks off this weekend against the Baltimore Ravens – the team they faced to open their 2016 campaign – and this matchup is setting up to be a similar dogfight. In that game, the Ravens squeaked out a win at home 13-7.

Starting quarterback Tyrod Taylor was under pressure on 44.4% of his dropbacks and was ultimately sacked two times. Taylor finished 15 for 22 for 11 yards and zero touchdowns. LeSean McCoy only racked up 58 yards on 16 carries and crossed the goal line one time as the Ravens simply manhandled the Bills offense and had just enough offensive output to pull out the win.

This matchup at M&T Bank Field will likely unfold in a similar manner. The Bills announced Nathan Peterman as the starter for the game and he flat out earned the gig this preseason, finishing 33/41 for 431 yards and three touchdowns. Peterman saw the field rather well, identified coverages quickly and got the ball out of his hand. In fact, per Pro Football Focus (PFF) from snap to attempt, Peterman got the ball out in 2.29 seconds, which tied him with Patriots QB Tom Brady.

Getting the ball out quickly will likely be a common theme this season seeing as most fans expect the Bills offensive line to be one of the worst. If the Bills have any shot at putting drives together and points on the board, they will have to rely on Peterman’s pre to post snap processing along with his quick trigger.

Peterman has a chance to be excellent this year. Most in the media do not understand that. He could suck or he could be average of course. I really wish he played against the Bengals and browns starting DL, we would know a lot more about him

Eric Wood was unfortunate but the Richie surprisingly retiring put this offensive line in a very tough position. I can't begin to describe the dislike I have for Ducasse but it is what it is. I can't hope to be proven right about it, i have to root for him to succeed at this point.

With Peterman getting the ball out so quickly, I hope the O-line doesn't get used to it and get lazy because there will be situations where Peterman will hold the ball longer. That's really my main concern with them is them getting used to the ball coming out super quick and not blocking til the whistle...

• Like (+1) 1

I'm excited to see this offense with actual gameplanning, our elite RB, and Daboll calling plays with the intention of putting points on the board, not evaluating the Oline or skill positions.   Eager to see if he uses TEs the way Belichick does to create mismatches, and how he will get Shady the ball in space.   Daboll is not going to just call plays like Dennison, I believe he is going to focus on creating mismatches and really make the defense pay for trying to blitz.  At least that's what I hope.

I cannot wait to see our defense with a better Dline and a monster MLB out there who can run and cover. 

3 minutes ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

Eric Wood was unfortunate but the Richie surprisingly retiring put this offensive line in a very tough position. I can't begin to describe the dislike I have for Ducasse but it is what it is. I can't hope to be proven right about it, i have to root for him to succeed at this point.

With Peterman getting the ball out so quickly, I hope the O-line doesn't get used to it and get lazy because there will be situations where Peterman will hold the ball longer. That's really my main concern with them is them getting used to the ball coming out super quick and not blocking til the whistle...

I think we see Teller by week 5.    Maybe for Vlad, maybe for Miller.  

• Like (+1) 1

9-5: Brandon Beane on One Bills Live (21:43)

#Bills general manager Brandon Beane joins @OneBillsLive right now on WGR!

Beane - we like where we're at on the practice field on defense, we're working hard. There are plenty of things to work on in order to get to Joe Flacco this week. #Bills

Beane - the more Tremaine Edmunds plays, the better he gets. There will be things he has not seen yet, but as the season goes, he will get better and better. #Bills

Beane - He is working his tail off, he wants to be right all the time. Unfortunately, you won't always be right, but we're happy with where he's at and we look forward to watching him all season long. #Bills

Beane - we'll start to see some continuity up front on the O-line. They were playing with different QBs in the preseason, wasn't the easiest thing. If we can stay healthy and gel this group, we can get it together as a group. #Bills

Beane - really appreciate what McCarron did here. He competed at quarterback and he gave it his all. He's a true pro, the fourth preseason game said a lot about his character. #Bills

Beane - Having two quarterbacks gives you flexibility to add another roster player. It doesn't mean we'll always stay at two, but we'll see how it goes. #Bills

Beane - we never lost faith in Peterman. I know a lot of people wrote him off, but we felt like he should start with the ones come training camp. He's not flashy, but he does so much more to help the offense. #Bills

Beane - Peterman is a professional quarterback, he can play at this level. It won't be too big for him, and he's looking forward to getting out there. #Bills

Quick Hits: McDermott Stamp Bills O-line as Ready

Coming off their final preseason performance against Cincinnati, Bills fans voiced concern about the readiness of Buffalo’s starting offensive line. Head coach Sean McDermott firmly stated that the five men up front will be ready for their Week 1 matchup with Baltimore on Sunday.

“They’ll be ready to go. They’re preparing now just like our entire team to make sure they’re ready,” McDermott said. “We’ve got a group of guys who take a lot of pride in working for things. Now they’ve come together. There may not be a whole lot of outside faith in them, but I think they’ve embraced that. There’s not a name on our board that’s a household name and those guys take a lot of pride in their work.”

Right cornerback and nickel corner still to be determined
While the roles of starting quarterback and starting center have been finalized for Buffalo’s offense, the starting right cornerback and nickel cornerback roles for the team have not.

“That’s one of the things we’re looking at as to whether it’s going to be Phillip (Gaines) or Taron (Johnson) inside,” said McDermott. “With Phillip (competing) outside, there’s a little bit of flexibility (we’re working through) there.”

Gaines is still competing with Vontae Davis for the starting right cornerback role on the boundary. Davis’ efforts in winning the job have been applauded by his head coach knowing he was coming back from offseason groin surgery.

Kyle and Trent back practicing
The level of their participation won’t be known until the first injury report of the season comes out late in the afternoon today, but veteran defensive linemen, Trent Murphy and Kyle Williams are both back in the practice fold with their teammates this week.

21 hours ago, eball said:

Lobsided?  Come on, man.

Anyway, particularly at the beginning of a season the "experts" are very often wrong when assessing how teams will perform.  Last year's Bills are perfect example, which is why it's somewhat surprising you'd post something like this.

My entire betting philosophy is to bet against the public, so I'm not averse to contrarian views. 

This game does not have that feel. The Ravens are a 7 point home favorite and my guess is that plenty of action will go on the Bills. I think the general public probably thinks that line is too high, which means it's probably too low.

This is a really, really bad football team. They could easily be the WORST team in the NFL. That's now what I want. It's what I see.

Joe B: 5 Buffalo Bills practice notes ahead of Week 1 vs. Ravens (9/5/18)

(WKBW) - At long last, it's game week for the Buffalo Bills. The team went through their first official practice that required an injury report, which was kind to the Bills.

They'll be up against the Baltimore Ravens on the road on Sunday, but will they have their full squad along with them and ready to play?

Five notes from Wednesday's practice ahead of the Bills game against the Ravens:

1) Kyle Williams, Trent Murphy nearing their return?
2) Still no decision at cornerback, but, a hint?
3) McDermott doesn't name starting nickel, either
4) Zay Jones is back up to speed
5) Marcus Murphy lining up for a substantial role?

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

USATSI_10240433-1024x683.jpg

So this year the team is going to attempt to be a pass-first offense by getting the ball out quickly? With Nathan Peterman as the starting QB? 

What I saw last year was Tyrod Taylor with his limited passing yards, only a few 200-yard games, and no 300-yard passing games. Granted he was very cautious with the ball and didn't want to throw an INT as he only had 4 INTs all year. (Peterman had 5 in one half)   

TE Charles Clay was the leading receiver with 558 yards, 2 TDs (49 rec, 74 targets), and behind him was RB McCoy with 448 yards, 2 TDs(59 rec, 77 targets), 3rd was Deonte Thompson with 430 yards, 1 TD (27 rec, 51 targets). 

I truly hope that the current offensive line will give Peterman the time needed to get the ball out quickly so that the offensive passing game actually works like it is supposed to work.

From what I saw this preseason though is that the coaching staff took it easy on Peterman in giving him the confidence to be the starting QB. He started in the first game against Carolina and went against the backups with Cleveland and Cincy. That first game all three Bills QB threw for over 100 yards.

I don't know that Peterman would have fared that much better against those first string defenses but I sure would have liked to see him play against them and play better than AJ McCarron, Josh Allen did. 

I'm very concerned that the Bills line won't hold up especially in the middle without Woods and if that is the case Peterman won't have more than 2 seconds to get the ball out. 

Again, hope it works. 

54 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

My entire betting philosophy is to bet against the public, so I'm not averse to contrarian views. 

This game does not have that feel. The Ravens are a 7 point home favorite and my guess is that plenty of action will go on the Bills. I think the general public probably thinks that line is too high, which means it's probably too low.

This is a really, really bad football team. They could easily be the WORST team in the NFL. That's now what I want. It's what I see.

Wrong.  81% of public money is on Baltimore.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Shady loves him some Daboll.

Hey man I'm straight 

Oh, never mind, The Real Shady 

IIRC TT had one 300 yard game and it took OT to reach it.  And we still lost.   2 possessions in OT and not even a FG from them. 

hmmm    at least I think it was last season.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Terrell Suggs Is Cheering for Teammates to Dethrone Him as Sacks Leader (5:12)

Outside linebacker Terrell Suggs talks about the emotions of entering his 16th NFL season and the challenge of defending rookie quarterback Lamar Jackson.

John Harabugh Is Excited to See Ravens in (Real) Game Action (10:11)

Head Coach John Harbaugh talked about Bills quarterback Nathan Peterman, what he expects from the passing game and running back Alex Collins.

Joe Flacco Expects to Give Ravens' Fans and Exciting Offense (11:26)

Quarterback Joe Flacco speaks about the confidence the offense has built throughout the offseason, his health and the effect of Quarterbacks Coach James Urban.

Eric Weddle: I Expect Us to Be Great on Defense (8:15)

Safety Eric Weddle talks about his excitement to kick off the season and changes made under new Defensive Coordinator Wink Martindale.

Injury Report update Sept 5 

Buffalo Bills

LeSean McCoy, RB   Questionable

Kyle Williams, DT   Questionable

Ray-Ray McCloud III, WR   Questionable

Julian Stanford, LB   Questionable

Trent Murphy, DE   Questionable

Baltimore Ravens

NAME, POSSTATUSDATE

Alvin Jones, LB    IR

29 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Injury Report update Sept 5 

Buffalo Bills

LeSean McCoy, RB   Questionable

Kyle Williams, DT   Questionable

Ray-Ray McCloud III, WR   Questionable

Julian Stanford, LB   Questionable

Trent Murphy, DE   Questionable

Baltimore Ravens

NAME, POSSTATUSDATE

Alvin Jones, LB    IR

They are all playing.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills-Ravens Injury Report

Heading into Week 1, the Bills are a pretty healthy group as they prepare to face the Ravens in Baltimore. Both Trent Murphy and Kyle Williams, who missed the last week or so of practice returned to the field with their teammates this week and participated fully. It left just a pair of players on Buffalo’s roster as non-participants Wednesday.

*BUFFALO

*DID NOT PRACTICE
WR Ray-Ray McCloud (knee)
LB Julian Stanford (nose)

*BALTIMORE

*DID NOT PRACTICE
DT Willie Henry (abdomen)
TE Hayden Hurst (foot)

LIMITED PARTICIPATION
CB Maurice Canady (thigh)
LB Kenny Young (knee)

Joe Flacco Is Super Confident About Ravens' Offense Heading Into 2018

Joe Flacco has never been short on confidence, but there’s a difference in the way he’s talking about this year’s offense compared to past years.

As the Ravens get set to kick off their 2018 campaign, there’s a lot of hype surrounding the potential of their offense. For example, at halftime of Baltimore’s nationally-televised preseason game in Indianapolis, ESPN’s Louis Riddick said he believes the Ravens will have the “breakout offense of this season.”

Listening to Flacco speak to reporters Wednesday, it’s clear he’s feeling it too.

“It’s super exciting to get back to football. It really is,” Flacco said. “I hope the fans feel the same way, to be honest with you. I really do hope that they’re excited to get out there and watch us go this year. I think we’ll put an exciting product on the field.”

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Shady loves him some Daboll.

Me love Shaday loving Daboll !
I have cash money on Brian being in the Bills future, and leading the charge..
 ..Well i do have sincere faith Brian Daboll is going to turn out all right and we will see it this year.

• Like (+1) 1