Week 1: Ravens Game Preparation - Nathan Peterman & Groy Starting

/dev/null

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don't want to speak for the poster but I'm pretty sure he meant only that he would be mediocre at best like Trent Edwards, not that his game is exactly the same.

Actually, there is at least one very strong comparison to Trentative, IMO. Very much like Nate, Edwards would read the defense pre-snap, decide where he was going to go with it, drop back and immediately throw a pretty or very accurate short pass, often a completion. It was only when Trent dropped back and tried to throw downfield that he became Trentative and always seemed to dump the ball off. Most of his passes, or at least half, were just like Nate, with a slightly stronger arm. On the 5 and 7 step drops he turned into Trentative.

Talent wise Peterman might be comparable to Edwards. But from a willingness to make a play each is dramatically different. Edwards had this inherent reluctance to trust the play that was called and would resort to checking down. That's the opposite process that Peterman follows. Peterman actually goes with the first read and without hesitation let the ball go. That's the opposite approach that the cautious Edwards would take with his repeated checkdown (as K-9 stated).

Because of his arm limitations Peterman is a limited qb. Most people would agree with that obvious assessment. But he has a good  grasp of the offense and the defense that he is facing. The challenge for the team is whether because of his physical limitation (arm strength) he can be a viable option until the more physically talented rookie is ready to play. I believe so while many others don't. 

10 hours ago, arcane said:

I'm willing to bet that, at some point in his career, Josh Allen will get some NFL playing time...

I'm also willing to bet it'll be when he has a handle on the playbook and isn't calling timeouts on 2nd down in the 1st quarter to have plays fully talked into his ear, so that he can start to spend lots of time learning to dissect defenses at this level. 

It's not as if the kid is going to spend the next 14 years on the bench and then retire.

I've been wondering. Everybody keeps talking bout how Baltimore will have designed plays to get Lamar Jackson on the field to utilize his unique capabilities, but I have not heard anyone speculate that the Bills might use Allen in a similar capacity.  Does anyone think that Daboll might put Allen on the field from time to time to utilize his mobility and arm strength, as well as give him valuable game time experience?  I know it is unorthodox and could mess up the timing of the offense, but I also think it could work extremely well in the right situations.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Talent wise Peterman might be comparable to Edwards. But from a willingness to make a play each is dramatically different. Edwards had this inherent reluctance to trust the play that was called and would resort to checking down. That's the opposite process that Peterman follows. Peterman actually goes with the first read and without hesitation let the ball go. That's the opposite approach that the cautious Edwards would take with his repeated checkdown (as K-9 stated).

Because of his arm limitations Peterman is a limited qb. Most people would agree with that obvious assessment. But he has a good  grasp of the offense and the defense that he is facing. The challenge for the team is whether because of his physical limitation (arm strength) he can be a viable option until the more physically talented rookie is ready to play. I believe so while many others don't. 

Very, very often, and more times than he checked down, Trent would do EXACTLY what Peterman does, which is read the defense presnap, decide where he his going presnap, drop back, look right there and throw a quick release and usually pretty accurate short pass. They both do (or did) that more than any other thing either does. 

When Trent didn't do that, and looked downfield is when he became Trentative and different from Nate. 

What impact will these new Bills have on Sunday plus 6 things to watch on Kickoff Weekend

wvbfbjtiaqfwqzte0snn.jpg

It’s the 99th year of NFL football. Buffalo kicks off its 59th season this Sunday. And as usual, there’s no shortage of fascinating news and notes about the Bills and the league in general heading into the new season.

Here are some of the things Bills fans can keep an eye on this Sunday on Kickoff Weekend:

1. PETERMAN LATEST QB TO START A SEASON FOR THE BILLS
2. DABOLL’S OFFENSE FRONT AND CENTER
3. BOUNCE BACK SEASON FOR BALTIMORE’S QB?
4. NFL DEBUT FOR BILLS NEW PUNTER
5. NO CHARM IN “CHARM CITY” ON BILLS LAST VISIT
6. DIVISION RIVALS READY TO GO ALSO

Bills Today: Trent Murphy having a 'blast' in return from injury

DmfkgE7UUAA0yUl.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

11 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don't want to speak for the poster but I'm pretty sure he meant only that he would be mediocre at best like Trent Edwards, not that his game is exactly the same.

Actually, there is at least one very strong comparison to Trentative, IMO. Very much like Nate, Edwards would read the defense pre-snap, decide where he was going to go with it, drop back and immediately throw a pretty or very accurate short pass, often a completion. It was only when Trent dropped back and tried to throw downfield that he became Trentative and always seemed to dump the ball off. Most of his passes, or at least half, were just like Nate, with a slightly stronger arm. On the 5 and 7 step drops he turned into Trentative.

I can see your point, too.

Bills Injury Report: McCloud Out for Sunday

The Bills injury report is short for Week 1, but they will be without receiver Ray-Ray McCloud. The rookie was unable to practice this week due to a knee injury.

Questionable for Sunday's game is LB Julian Stanford. He's trying to return from a nose injury suffered in the Cincinnati preseason game when a shoulder pad from an opposing player got past his face mask on a play, which led to the injury.

Defensive linemen Trent Murphy and Kyle Williams who missed portions of the preseason due to injury both practiced fully all week and did not appear on the injury report. Head coach Sean McDermott declared both veteran players good to go for Sunday's opener.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Bills injury report is short for Week 1, but they will be without receiver Ray-Ray McCloud. The rookie was unable to practice this week due to a knee injury.

Looks like Ray Ray has tAken over M. Goodwin's roster spot.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Very, very often, and more times than he checked down, Trent would do EXACTLY what Peterman does, which is read the defense presnap, decide where he his going presnap, drop back, look right there and throw a quick release and usually pretty accurate short pass. They both do (or did) that more than any other thing either does. 

When Trent didn't do that, and looked downfield is when he became Trentative and different from Nate. 

I partially agree with what you said. I still hold that Peterman is more willing to throw the ball in the middle of the field and downfield risking throwing it up for grabs for the receiver to fight for than Trent. If you watched some of the preseason games you would have seen that he was more willing to throw into tight windows than Trent was willing to do. 

Where Peterman gets in trouble is when he throws the out passes (as you have noted). Because of his limited arm strength he becomes vulnerable to DBs waiting to jump the route and snatch the ball. From what I have seen so far is that the TEs are going to be utilized more than we have seen in a long time. 

Without a doubt Peterman is a temporary qb. Where I differ from you is that I fret less about his role than you do. We'll just have to wait for the real action to see how this plays out for him.

• Like (+1) 1

Buffalo Bills DE Trent Murphy Glad to Be Back, Rejoin His Brothers

Orchard Park, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Bills defense left a bad taste in the mouths of their fans after the third preseason game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

The side of the ball that was arguably the reason the team made the playoffs last season showed some serious deficiencies against the pass. Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton threw for 200 yards and two touchdowns in under a half.

It was only the preseason but it's the only football that's been played. Coverage needs to be better and the defensive line has to generate some pressure.

The pass rush wasn't great last season. The Bills finished second to last in the league with just 27 sacks and you have to scroll all the way down to 84 in player rankings from last season to find the Bills' leaders in sacks: Jerry Hughes and Shaq Lawson with four apiece.

If Peterman looks awful in the first half, and BUF's defense is keeping the game within reach.... then I think there's a good chance we see Allen start the second half.      

I'd say the chances of that scenario are fairly high.    

If Allen comes in and suddenly the offense starts moving the ball, then I think it's his job to lose.    If Allen can't move them, then probably back to Peterman for game 2.

12 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

If Peterman looks awful in the first half, and BUF's defense is keeping the game within reach.... then I think there's a good chance we see Allen start the second half.      

I'd say the chances of that scenario are fairly high.    

If Allen comes in and suddenly the offense starts moving the ball, then I think it's his job to lose.    If Allen can't move them, then probably back to Peterman for game 2.

There are different kinds of awful. If Peterman is protecting the ball but not able to move the offense, I think he will continue to stay in the game. If IntercePeterman shows up in a big way, he maay get the hook. I think it's highly likely he plays the full game. 

John Brown: Sunday Will Show If Receivers Are the Real Deal (3:34)

Wide receiver John Brown talks about how he can't wait to play in Week 1 and making plays for quarterback Joe Flacco.

Marlon Humphrey Talks About Stepping Up With Jimmy Smith Out (3:09)

Cornerback Marlon Humphrey wants to make more game-changing plays (turnovers) this year.

GMFB Crew Previews Ravens-Bills Matchup (1:26)

Kyle Brandt says he’s looking for Baltimore to ‘make a statement in this thing.’ Their eyes are on the Ravens defense and the new wide receivers.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

14 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

A lot of what we all saw was due to the offensive scheme Edwards was forced to play in at Buffalo. Trent played in a WCO scheme at Stanford and then played in a Mike Martz type deep passing scheme in Buffalo with Steve Fairchild, then Turk Schonert as his OC's. Martz was a jackass that got his QB's killed everywhere he went save when he had that great O line in St Louis. 

In his first season as the starting Buffalo Bills QB Edwards did well his first few games and the team started 4-0 in 2008, 5-1 after Arizona and San Diego. Bills fans were talking about Edwards like he was the next Joe Montana. That severe concussion in the Arizona game week 5 changed Edwards as did the many hits to the head during the season IMO.

Anyway, a deep passing scheme with Lee Evans, Josh Reed, and Roscoe Parish, James Hardy as WRs?  Royal, Schouman, Fine and TEs and Fred Jackson, Marshawn Lynch as RB's. I can recall watching Josh Reed run his routes and never look back to see if the QB was in trouble. 

Bottom line was that year the Bills brought in LG Derrick Dockery, RT Langston Walker in free agency and neither lived up to what they were overpaid which only seemed to piss off all-pro LT Jason Peters. Duke Preston was at center and Brad Butler was at RG. That line was simply not good enough to allow a lot of 5-7 step dropbacks in my view. Hence a big reason as to why Jackson and Lynch saw a lot of balls in the run game and passing game. 

If you go back and look over the catch percentages Lynch was at 71.1% and Jackson was at 82.2%. Lee Evans 102 targets for 62 receptions for a 61.8% catch percentage, Reed was better at 70%, Parrish had a 53.3%. Things got even worse the next year as both Jackson and Lynch were at 75% and Owens was 50.5%, Evans 96 targets for 44 receptions a 45.8%, Reed 50%, Parrish 60%.

It will be interesting to see if the current Bills O line can give Peterman time to throw. And if so, he should be okay. 

• Like (+1) 1

1-on-1 With Brandon Williams: Defense Wants 'Shock and Awe' (4:47)

Defensive tackle Brandon Williams talks about what new Defensive Coordinator Wink Martindale is bringing to the unit, which has all 11 starters back.

1-on-1 With Harbs: Ravens Are Opening the Gates on Offense (3:55)

After a long training camp and preseason, Head Coach John Harbaugh is just as excited as you for the season to start. He wants to see the revved up offense and expects to see the defense be great.

56 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

A lot of what we all saw was due to the offensive scheme Edwards was forced to play in at Buffalo. Trent played in a WCO scheme at Stanford and then played in a Mike Martz type deep passing scheme in Buffalo with Steve Fairchild, then Turk Schonert as his OC's. Martz was a jackass that got his QB's killed everywhere he went save when he had that great O line in St Louis. 

In his first season as the starting Buffalo Bills QB Edwards did well his first few games and the team started 4-0 in 2008, 5-1 after Arizona and San Diego. Bills fans were talking about Edwards like he was the next Joe Montana. That severe concussion in the Arizona game week 5 changed Edwards as did the many hits to the head during the season IMO.

Anyway, a deep passing scheme with Lee Evans, Josh Reed, and Roscoe Parish, James Hardy as WRs?  Royal, Schouman, Fine and TEs and Fred Jackson, Marshawn Lynch as RB's. I can recall watching Josh Reed run his routes and never look back to see if the QB was in trouble. 

Bottom line was that year the Bills brought in LG Derrick Dockery, RT Langston Walker in free agency and neither lived up to what they were overpaid which only seemed to piss off all-pro LT Jason Peters. Duke Preston was at center and Brad Butler was at RG. That line was simply not good enough to allow a lot of 5-7 step dropbacks in my view. Hence a big reason as to why Jackson and Lynch saw a lot of balls in the run game and passing game. 

If you go back and look over the catch percentages Lynch was at 71.1% and Jackson was at 82.2%. Lee Evans 102 targets for 62 receptions for a 61.8% catch percentage, Reed was better at 70%, Parrish had a 53.3%. Things got even worse the next year as both Jackson and Lynch were at 75% and Owens was 50.5%, Evans 96 targets for 44 receptions a 45.8%, Reed 50%, Parrish 60%.

It will be interesting to see if the current Bills O line can give Peterman time to throw. And if so, he should be okay. 

Bills fans WAY overrated what Trent was actually doing during that 4-0 start, IMO. He played well. Don't get me wrong. But it was not anything he was doing that he didn't do before. I don't buy that he was shell shocked after that big hit against the Cards and never returned to form. One of his career best games was first game back from concussion against the Chargers. 

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Bills fans WAY overrated what Trent was actually doing during that 4-0 start, IMO. He played well. Don't get me wrong. But it was not anything he was doing that he didn't do before. I don't buy that he was shell shocked after that big hit against the Cards and never returned to form. One of his career best games was first game back from concussion against the Chargers. 

i also always thought it was silly notion. like you said... he came back and played vs the chargers, the same way he had been playing during the 4-0 start. I never agreed with the whole "shell shocked" narrative.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

GMFB Crew Previews Ravens-Bills Matchup (1:26)

Kyle Brandt says he’s looking for Baltimore to ‘make a statement in this thing.’ Their eyes are on the Ravens defense and the new wide receivers.

… whatever. 

I've said it before and i'll say it again. I have no clue how, year in and year out, the ravens get as much media hype as they do. 1 playoff berth in the previous 5 years. YAWN.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

21 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Whether you intended to or not you make a good point. :) As you seem to be suggesting in this league you can have inherent flaws in your game and still have short term success. But because the tape doesn't lie your strengths will be on exhibit and so will your deficiencies. Inevitably, your strengths as a player will be taken away by the opposition and your limitations will be magnified. The league caught up with Edwards and he didn't have much in his arsenal to respond. Football is a game of adjustments. If you don't have the wherewithal to respond to the adjustment you are sunk. 

What I find exciting about Josh Allen is that because of his imposing physical talent he has a wide array of options in his quiver that he can resort to when his first option is blocked. When discussing qbs such as Edwards, Peterman and to an extent even Tyrod their tool kits are too small to adequately respond when their first option is taken away. 

• Like (+1) 2

How Does Buffalo Bills Offense Fare in Brian Daboll's Debut, and 7 More Things to Watch vs. Ravens

By Ryan Talbot | Contributing writer

The Buffalo Bills will kickoff the 2018 season on Sunday afternoon against the Baltimore Ravens. Despite coming off of a playoff berth one season ago, Buffalo is listed as a seven point underdog in the game. Buffalo's roster looks much different from one season ago and the team has a new offensive coordinator making his regular season debut against the Ravens.

With plenty of questions surrounding the Bills leading up to the matchup, here are eight things to watch in Week 1.

How does offense look in Brian Daboll's debut as Bills OC?
Can Nathan Peterman prove the doubters wrong?
Does the interior offensive line hold up?
Can Buffalo stop the run?
What does LeSean McCoy's workload look like against Ravens?
Will the Bills' pass rush show life in regular season?
Who starts across from Tre'Davious White?
How does Corey Bojorquez perform in first action with Buffalo?

27 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

A lot of people have said that he played well the next week...and some players go right back into a game dazed as heck and play well on instincts. That doesn't mean that they are not suffering from the effects of that concussion. The protocols are different today and Edwards probably should have sat out many games if not the entire season.

The thing is the more you get hit in the head after a severe concussion the more susceptible you are for more injury and it's far easier to suffer another concussion. For me, it's really easy to see that he was simply never the same player after that San Diego game. Who knows, perhaps he got another hard hit to the head in that game. 

What's crazy is that Rivals.com in 2001 had Edwards rated at the #1 QB in the nation and he was recruited by Michigan, Florida, Notre Dame, and Tennessee.  

http://www.nfl.com/videos/buffalo-bills/09000d5d80b60a32/WK-5-Trent-Edwards-injury

From Matthew Fairburn at The Athletic:

'Forget about all the what-ifs': Former NFL MVP Rich Gannon...

Rich Gannon understands those obstacles better than most. The longtime NFL quarterback spent the first 12 years of his career bouncing around the league as a spot starter and backup. It wasn’t until he landed with the Raiders in 1999 that Gannon made his first of four consecutive Pro Bowls and ended up winning an MVP award. On Sunday, he’ll be a part of CBS’ broadcast team for the Bills’ game against the Raiders along with Kevin Harlan and Steve Tasker. He’s studied Peterman closely and understands his story.

“I think honestly if I were coaching him I would say to him, ‘Look this is a great opportunity,’” Gannon said by phone. “Forget about all the what-ifs and different scenarios with this draft pick. Don’t worry about it. If he goes out and plays well, there’s a good chance he plays next week. It’s a week to week business anyway. If he goes out and plays well and plays well next week, I’m not saying there’s a quarterback controversy, but it’s hard to replace a guy who’s playing well when the team is winning. He could create a really good situation. Worse case scenario, he plays well this week and maybe next week and the team is 1-1 or 2-0, whatever, and they make a change at some point and now he’s entrenched as a no. 2 quarterback and he’s a quarterback the team has a lot of faith and confidence in who can step in at a moment’s notice. You go from that situation to maybe being on the street a month ago. Think about it. They drafted Josh, they got AJ and he could have been the odd man out. Now he’s starting Week 1? I think that’s a great opportunity.”

11 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

A lot of people have said that he played well the next week...and some players go right back into a game dazed as heck and play well on instincts. That doesn't mean that they are not suffering from the effects of that concussion. The protocols are different today and Edwards probably should have sat out many games if not the entire season.

The thing is the more you get hit in the head after a severe concussion the more susceptible you are for more injury and it's far easier to suffer another concussion. For me, it's really easy to see that he was simply never the same player after that San Diego game. Who knows, perhaps he got another hard hit to the head in that game. 

What's crazy is that Rivals.com in 2001 had Edwards rated at the #1 QB in the nation and he was recruited by Michigan, Florida, Notre Dame, and Tennessee.  

http://www.nfl.com/videos/buffalo-bills/09000d5d80b60a32/WK-5-Trent-Edwards-injury

I agree with all of that. But Edwards was crushed his entire college career on a ****ty Stanford team, which is why, even though he was highly rated, he lasted until the third round. The consensus was that he was given no chance because he had a crappy line and he took a beating. He was fearless, I will give him that.

But watching him in the NFL, like NP, he just isn't any good under a strong rush. He got killed and ultimately concussed in the NFL not so much because it was unlucky or he took a really bad hit, but because he froze under a heavy rush, and was going to keep taking hit after hit after hit.

I was on here most of the time then with Trent, like I am now with Nate, saying he is likely never going to be good. And Trent had a much better arm than Nate. Not a great one but clearly stronger. He could throw that deep out.  

Week 1 NFL guide: Score predictions, best games, fantasy tips

Point spread: BAL -7.5 | Matchup quality: 41.3 (of 100)

Mike Rodak's pick: Baltimore's defense allowed the NFL's 10th-fewest passing yards in 2017. The chances seem low of seeing new Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, quarterback Nathan Peterman and an offensive line that struggled this preseason all click immediately in a road opener. Ravens 20, Bills 13

Jamison Hensley's pick: Since 2008, Baltimore is 5-1 when opening the season at home, with an average margin of victory of 17.2 points. To make matters worse for the Bills, the Ravens return every starter on defense, and their pass rush has been dominant this preseason. That spells a long day for Peterman. Ravens 20, Bills 6

FPI win projection: BAL, 84 percent. Baltimore is FPI's biggest favorite of the week, partially because the Bills are starting Peterman, who finished last season with a 12.4 Total QBR in limited action.

What to watch for in fantasy: Fantasy's No. 7 running back from 2017 did not suddenly get too old to do it again -- Eric Karabell ranked LeSean McCoy as one of the top RB2 options this week.

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

I partially agree with what you said. I still hold that Peterman is more willing to throw the ball in the middle of the field and downfield risking throwing it up for grabs for the receiver to fight for than Trent. If you watched some of the preseason games you would have seen that he was more willing to throw into tight windows than Trent was willing to do. 

Where Peterman gets in trouble is when he throws the out passes (as you have noted). Because of his limited arm strength he becomes vulnerable to DBs waiting to jump the route and snatch the ball. From what I have seen so far is that the TEs are going to be utilized more than we have seen in a long time. 

Without a doubt Peterman is a temporary qb. Where I differ from you is that I fret less about his role than you do. We'll just have to wait for the real action to see how this plays out for him.

Good point about TEs. There has been other well considered thoughts about the T Ends and how they may be used in this New Offense. I was asking as i was quite surprised about 

Nick O'Leary. I might guess they designed the players around the Offense a bit ? Tweaked perhaps ? 

4 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Looks like Ray Ray has tAken over M. Goodwin's roster spot.

cold, very cold man you are  : )

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

Good point about TEs. There has been other well considered thoughts about the T Ends and how they may be used in this New Offense. I was asking as i was quite surprised about 

Nick O'Leary. I might guess they designed the players around the Offense a bit ? Tweaked perhaps ? 

You shouldn't be surprised with the O'Leary cut. Much of it had to do with the jam at the position. In additon, there is a McDermott bias for tall receivers. Croom is going to replace O'Leary as the receiving tight end. As much as Gunner disparages Logan Thomas McDermett is entranced with his imposing physical attributes. 

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Perfect for Dabolls quick twitch offense.

With that wind and rain possible, we may not honestly know yet if Peterman can accurately throw a deep ball....

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You shouldn't be surprised with the O'Leary cut. Much of it had to do with the jam at the position. In additon, there is a McDermott bias for tall receivers. Croom is going to replace O'Leary as the receiving tight end. As much as Gunner disparages Logan Thomas McDermett is entranced with his imposing physical attributes. 

Imposing physical attributes. noted.
 i am loathe to argue with Gunner over nearly any player e v a l.  lol .. but i have some faith in Logan Thomas as a hybrid TE. I hope they have all developed blocking skills. they will need them in the run game , which Bills will likely depend upon. And Protecting Peterman with chipping ends and lBs as well

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Actually may help out for us a little bit. Not sure if it will be enough though. Hopefully the running game can make a bigger impact for the Bills with those circumstances.

yes. Shady is slippery when wet haha

• Like (+1) 1

9-7: Greg Cosell on One Bills Live (12:21)

Joe Flacco Opens Up About Lamar Jackson, His Motivation and Future

During the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft, Joe Flacco was hanging out with his brother, cousin and Dennis Pitta in the basement of his home. They were playing pop-a-shot basketball as they casually kept one eye on the TV.

Throughout the night, the guys were teasing Flacco about the possibility of the Ravens picking a quarterback.

“We were saying stuff like, ‘I wonder which quarterback we’re going to take!’” Pitta said. “We were just messing with him. He didn’t really care; he was laughing about it too. I was joking about it mainly because I didn’t think it was going to happen.”

The Ravens traded back once. They traded back again. When Baltimore selected tight end Hayden Hurst at pick No. 25, they all thought Flacco was in the clear. Even better, he had a new weapon.

Then the Ravens traded back into the first round, pick No. 32, and they all immediately knew who it was for. Lamar Jackson, the electric 2016 Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback was coming to Baltimore.

“We all just looked at each other,” Flacco said. “They looked at me and I looked at everybody else like, ‘Uhhh,’ and we kind of raised our eyebrows and laughed.”

Trent Edwards made one pass, one play, that made me sit up and take notice and get all excited about him - but for the life of me, I can't remember who it was against. 

It was late in the 4th. Bills were down and needed a first down to stay alive, or they were done. Edwards launched a beautiful ball down the left sideline in stride to - someone - and the Bills either kicked a FG to win or moved it in for a TD, I don't remember which. 

Dammit! I wish I could remember more of it...