Has there ever been a more anticipated Bills preseason game?

5 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I’m keeping expectations of Josh in check and just hoping for a scoring drive or two in there somewhere tomorrow but I cannot remember a more anticipated preseason game people are actually nervous for this game 

I cant recall. Maybe back EJ days but not on this level.

Just nice to see someone other than TT. I was a fan of his, wish him the best, but this is refreshing.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Not from what was on the field but in 1986 the USFL had basically gone out of business & the Bills were playing their 2nd preseason game at Houston. Jim Kelly was in a box with Ralph.  I was living in Suffolk County L.I. at the time and I was listening to a very static filled broadcast on WBEN.  Art Schlichter was terrible on the field,  but Van was talking about Kelly and the chances he'd be signing shortly with the Bills.  I was starving for Bills news and I had to really strain through the static to hear WBEN.  

• Like (+1) 5

we are all hoping for the best.  We knew EJ would suck. TT had legs but I could never trust him. Josh I actually have hope for. Man it would be nice if he panned out and became the franchise QB we deserve.  Nothing would make me happier than seeing the Bills win the AFC East and the Pats in the cellar going a sweet ass 6-10 with Brady in a body bag.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

we are all hoping for the best.  We knew EJ would suck. TT had legs but I could never trust him. Josh I actually have hope for. Man it would be nice if he panned out and became the franchise QB we deserve.  Nothing would make me happier than seeing the Bills win the AFC East and the Pats in the cellar going a sweet ass 6-10 with Brady in a body bag.

Well. That escalated quickly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

This years 1st preseason game was highly anticipated. After last years drought ending playoff game & an offseasons worth of moves capped with Josh Allen's signing, I couldn't wait til this years 1st game. For the game coming up, yeah i'm looking forward to it but I don't put as much weight into it as many have. I wish Allen to light it up of course but I also realize it takes time to learn the ropes & grow into a successful QB. Its gonna be a process. If Josh has a mediocre game tomorrow, I won't think the sky is falling or that we made the wrong choice. Even though you can bet someone here will make a thread claiming he's a bust & remind us about his predraft evaluations of being an inaccurate passer or that we should've drafted Darnold or Rosen. For all the excitement i have with the potential of our team, I try to remain grounded & realistic about our expectations. All things that can be in short supply on team message boards lol.

• Like (+1) 2

The two things I'm most excited about this year watching the Bills games are;

1.  Seeing what Allen can do.

2.  Not hearing the announcers mention 50 times a game that it's been 17 years since the Bills made the playoffs.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

People are miss-remembering the EJ days. He was never really thought of as the answer...we just hoped for the best.

Exactly. We knew EJ would suck and we just prayed for a miracle.

With Josh the potential is palpable.

• Like (+1) 1

We’ll know so much more tomorrow at this time that is currently speculation and uncertainty. Does the ‘Allen Party Project’ begin immediately or shelved for the start of a difficult season. Will Tremaine Edmunds remove growing doubts about his Draft status? Nevermind heir-apparent, does the Horrible One snatch Kyles’ starting gig? Will Bodine be among the cuts? Is Vontae Davis legit? Which WR’s step up and be accountable to start? Is Star a dud? Does Murphy put a stranglehold on #2 RB? As a group, we’ve been fairly consistent here on who’s likely to make the final roster vs who isn’t. It’s the Pecking Order that gets most settled tonight.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The two things I'm most excited about his year watching the Bills games are;

2.  Not hearing the announcers mention 50 times a game that it's been 17 years since the Bills made the playoffs.

what we'll hear now 50 times a game is how we had a 17-year drought but it ended ...give it another year or 2 and they'll just stop talking about it altogether.

14 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

We’ll know so much more tomorrow at this time that is currently speculation and uncertainty. Does the ‘Allen Party Project’ begin immediately or shelved for the start of a difficult season. Will Tremaine Edmunds remove growing doubts about his Draft status? Nevermind heir-apparent, does the Horrible One snatch Kyles’ starting gig? Will Bodine be among the cuts? Is Vontae Davis legit? Which WR’s step up and be accountable to start? Is Star a dud? Does Murphy put a stranglehold on #2 RB? As a group, we’ve been fairly consistent here on who’s likely to make the final roster vs who isn’t. It’s the Pecking Order that gets most settled tonight.

you forgot: Do we trade for Mack?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Tsaikotic said:

what we'll hear now 50 times a game is how we had a 17-year drought but it ended ...give it another year or 2 and they'll just stop talking about it altogether.

you forgot: Do we trade for Mack?

Ha! MAY happen, just not likely to know in 24 hrs..

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Oh you’ll here the 17 years mentioned 

will they Bills make the playoffs or spend another 17 years in a drought. 

Unfortunately 

I think this is certainly one of the more intriguing preseason games in recent Bills' history.

I'll be mid air while the game kicks off. The only question for me is if I can make it from the airport to home (where I've taped the game) without it being spoiled...

Just hoping for no injuries and for Allen to seize the opportunity. 

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Ha Ha Ha - I wonder how many games this year will the words "seventeen year" STILL be uttered?  - "The Bills ended their 'seventeen year' drought last year"...

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I'll be mid air while the game kicks off. The only question for me is if I can make it from the airport to home (where I've taped the game) without it being spoiled...

Take this kind of talk to PPP, buddy. 

• Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I’m keeping expectations of Josh in check and just hoping for a scoring drive or two in there somewhere tomorrow but I cannot remember a more anticipated preseason game people are actually nervous for this game 

Excellent point!

i can't recall ever being this excited/anxious/nervous for a preseason game. i think that Allen has, by far, the most impressive skillset of any Bills qb since kelly...honestly maybe even better than Kelly (settle down fellas, raw athletic ability, size, and arm strength). and all we have heard leading up to the draft was how this kid was so incredibly raw and needed so much work...and we have seen through the preseason (yes, the preseason) vast improvement on on all these areas of weakness. so yeah, i am absolutely, ridiculously, incredibly pumped for this exhibition game to see if this kid takes yet another step. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm excited. A lot of people are trying hard to temper their expectations. I keep seeing "It's a process" and something along the line of "As long as he doesn't suck" or "Just a couple of scoring drives". It's really amusing watching different people's reactions. Anyway, I think there more folks, underneath the outward low expectations, are inwardly quietly hoping Josh lights it up today. Going to be fun watching today. How will he measure up? The answer to that won't be known until later today and the anticipation is building.

Anyway, for all of you pretending to temper your expectations...I call BS.

Edited by Rockinon
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

People are miss-remembering the EJ days. He was never really thought of as the answer...we just hoped for the best.

I don’t know... after his opening game win in Chicago.. and then the comeback game in Buffalo... pretty sure everyone (including myself) we’re announcing EJ as our savior. It was short-lived, but there was definitely a period where many thought he was the one. 

Never got that feeling with JP, Holcomb, Fitzy, Orton, TT (or any others that played the position). 

Thats is the ONLY reason I’m tempering expectations with Josh Allen. But very hopeful!

OJ's rookie year against the Colts, his first game in Buffalo. 10 years old doing gopher duties for the press box personnel and not being able to wait to see OJ; the whole city was anticipating his Buffalo debut. The statisticians and scouts in the press box weren't impressed. Everybody came out to see OJ, but everybody left talking about Robert James, the UDFA out of Fisk. 

• Like (+1) 3

Thinking back, to the OP’s question, the preseason game against the Lions in ‘68 (I believe) was probably the biggest PS game in our history. It was the very 1st time NFL teams played AFL teams in other than the post season ‘game’. It wasn’t called the Super Bowl then and the merger had only recently been finalized. It was so huge because AFL fans were openly mocked through the formative years until we started landing marquis players, ever-growing fan bases and big TV contracts.

We. Had. Arrived.

Think about all the Leagues that have sprung up trying to compete with the NFL. All have failed Except the AFL. IIRC, we played well, but lost the game..

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Thinking back, to the OP’s question, the preseason game against the Lions in ‘68 (I believe) was probably the biggest PS game in our history. It was the very 1st time NFL teams played AFL teams in other than the post season ‘game’. It wasn’t called the Super Bowl then and the merger had only recently been finalized. It was so huge because AFL fans were openly mocked through the formative years until we started landing marquis players and ever-growing fan bases.

We. Had. Arrived.

Think about all the Leagues that have sprung up trying to compete with the NFL. All have failed Except the AFL. IIRC, we played well, but lost the game..

..thanks for the memories bud.....the "good old days".......:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rockinon said:

I'm excited. A lot of people are trying hard to temper their expectations. I keep seeing "It's a process" and something along the line of "As long as he doesn't suck" or "Just a couple of scoring drives". It's really amusing watching different people's reactions. Anyway, I think there more folks, underneath the outward low expectations, are inwardly quietly hoping Josh lights it up today. Going to be fun watching today. How will he measure up? The answer to that won't be known until later today and the anticipation is building.

Anyway, for all of you pretending to temper your expectations...I call BS.

Yep. I try not to be too hyped up, certainly don't want to put too much pressure on Allen or play down the other QBs, but I don't recall being that excited for a player since they signed Chris Spielman! As Josh is drafted and a QB, of course it's bigger,  parts of me dreams of a "franchise" dominant QB for years to come! For this season I was pessimistic for the offense because of the OL and WRs. Now I'm not. That's what a great QB brings. Not saying he is or is yet, but that's what - and I'm sure the players too - feel.