Lacanfora: Bills have reached out to Raiders about Khalil Mack trade

YoloinOhio

23 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I think the real question is "would you draft Khalil Mack with next year's first rounder?" 

That's really not the situation at all. He's not 23 yrs old and we're not getting 5 years of control over him on a rookie deal. The question is how much do you give up for a DPOY that, when he's 28 yrs old next year, is going to want a $125M+ contract with $80M+ guaranteed. That certainly muddies the water a bit.

• Thank you (+1) 2

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

La Conjecture strikes again!

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Then stand him up and make him a LB where he was already an all pro

Not in the Bills current system. He's basically a 1v1 swap with Jerry Hughes, so the question is how much better than Hughes is he and how much money/ trade capital is that improvement worth. Personally, I'm dubious that the upgrade would be worth what that they'd have to give up for him. I would imagine Hughes plus a #1, minimum. Next year's #1 might be a very high pick where you could get a guy like Mack without having to give Hughes up.

8 minutes ago, vincec said:

Not in the Bills current system. He's basically a 1v1 swap with Jerry Hughes, so the question is how much better than Hughes is he and how much money/ trade capital is that improvement worth. Personally, I'm dubious that the upgrade would be worth what that they'd have to give up for him. I would imagine Hughes plus a #1, minimum. Next year's #1 might be a very high pick where you could get a guy like Mack without having to give Hughes up.

Next year’s #1 could also be a VERY good pass rusher (given the draft class), who would come at a fraction of what Mack would cost. One more consideration. I’m glad we have our FO to figure this all out. 

59 minutes ago, vincec said:

Why couldn't he play lb in our current system? Lorenzo Alexander does and Mack is way better in coverage. He has good speed and instincts. He can play both ends and all lb positions and could be a very good lb in our system but the contract would be huge for a 43 olb.

If there is even a chance you trade the motherload.... we have the QB, now we can have the QB of the defense who actually wants to be here, I can't even talk football with those who even mention jerry Hughes and Khalil Mack in the same breath, Mack has 40.5 sacks in 4 seasons and Hughes has 39.5 in 8, there is no real comparison at all, the pass rush we'd have would be unreal with Murphy, Mack and Louteleilei up the middle and meatball when he comes back. It probably wouldn't transpire anyways but people even questioning this is just hilarious to me. Maybe we need to relive the 2 Superbowls with new England/Giants, ask the Giants if they regretted the contracts of Strahan or JPP which I'm sure both were pretty high at the time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kelly101 said:

Imho there's zero chance of raiders letting him go, would be the worst move ever.

The Raiders may not end up trading him but the mere fact that they're talking to other clubs tells you that there is definitely more than a "zero chance".

• Like (+1) 1

His age alone doesn't fit with what we're trying to build IMO...same reason why the Sabres had no problem getting rid of O'Reilly because of the ages of the core being 19-22 years old.  Doesn't make sense to give up draft picks and spend a ton of $$$$ on a guy who will be "old" once the young core they are building here are all in their prime years.  

17 hours ago, Augie said:

I’d bet on the man with his own Brinks truck. I’ll say it again, even a decade ago Gruden wore people out, especially players. Too many players thought he was a weasel and had bad things to say from his Bucs days. I’m sure some liked him, but....I don’t see this as a big win for Raiders fans. 

...NEITHER is Mark Davis........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

On 8/23/2018 at 11:26 PM, Happy Gilmore said:

Lost in all this is the fact that Gruden is about to make the Raiders a worse team, and he hasn't even coached a game in his second stint with them.  I see Chuckie fired in 2-3 years.

Not think so. The Raiders do not have the money to pay out rest of that contract.

On 8/23/2018 at 10:36 PM, njbuff said:

Is this going to be the steamy subject now?

If or until JA even slightly stumbles tomorrow. Then sentiment will immediately swing to us being in QB hell again and how we immediately need to draft the best quarterback next year AND trade for Rogers. Obviously we can no longer fit Mack under the cap at that point. ?

12 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Gruden is saying now that the Raiders might not have a back up QB (I could have told him that). Maybe we can throw in his choice of Peterman or a Mccarron with Shaq/Hughes and a 1st. If we learned anything from Gruden as a commentator, he loves every player in the league. He might be interested.

That was mentioned earlier in the thread.  Gruden loves Peterman.  This might all be waiting on Sunday's game.  If Allen plays well and secures the starting role, the very trade you suggest might go through.

14 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Why couldn't he play lb in our current system? Lorenzo Alexander does and Mack is way better in coverage. He has good speed and instincts. He can play both ends and all lb positions and could be a very good lb in our system but the contract would be huge for a 43 olb.

Lorenzo Alexander is basically a 1 down LB that plays on rushing downs. He is a liability in pass coverage, as Mack would be if he played off the ball. That's fine for Lorax because of his age and heavy involvement with special teams but using Mack like that would be a complete waste of his ability. He needs to be a 3-4 OLB or RDE in a 4-3 so that he can stay on the field. He is basically an improved Jerry Hughes.

3 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

His age alone doesn't fit with what we're trying to build IMO...same reason why the Sabres had no problem getting rid of O'Reilly because of the ages of the core being 19-22 years old.  Doesn't make sense to give up draft picks and spend a ton of $$$$ on a guy who will be "old" once the young core they are building here are all in their prime years.  

That's one take. Another is that when Chuck Knox built a playoff team by their third year he did it by building through the draft but he also brought in some older vets as "rah rah" guys like ex-Rams LBer Isiah Robertson, ex-Steelers WR Frank Lewis to bring in leadership to that young team.   I realize the team already has Kyle Williams, although this might be his last season.        

In my view, there is no timetable for a talent like Mack as he will instantly change the dynamic of the defense with his pass rush. The Bills already have a top secondary but it won't be as effective if there is little or no pass rush. With Mack, opponents will game plan around stopping him and from what I've seen that won't be happening. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Not think so. The Raiders do not have the money to pay out rest of that contract.

That’s true, but I think we’re about to witness an epic, Browns-like dumpster fire in Oakland.  It could get very ugly.

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

That was mentioned earlier in the thread.  Gruden loves Peterman.  This might all be waiting on Sunday's game.  If Allen plays well and secures the starting role, the very trade you suggest might go through.

Please...I wish that were true, but no matter what Peterman does in these preseason games, he will have close to zero trade value until he lights it up in some real games.  He might well get cut or stashed on the PS.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ChasBB said:

I would not support any trade for Mack that involves Peterman.  If Gruden needs a qb as part of the deal, he can have McCarron (don't want to lose McCarron, either, but if it means getting Mack, then yes).

You'd let a limited backup QB prevent the Bills from getting a dominant pass rushing DE ?  I'm not sure how this makes any sense at all. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, QCity said:

That's really not the situation at all. He's not 23 yrs old and we're not getting 5 years of control over him on a rookie deal. The question is how much do you give up for a DPOY that, when he's 28 yrs old next year, is going to want a $125M+ contract with $80M+ guaranteed. That certainly muddies the water a bit.

how do you know what he wants in a contract? If that is what he is asking, he's going to be disappointed. No one will pay that

He can be a strong side linebacker and a defensive end on passing Downs

he is an all pro at 2 positions and an absolute force. People act like he is old at 27 lol he will be a stud till he is 35 lol 

the most dominate college player I have ever witnessed with my own eyes

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He can be a strong side linebacker and a defensive end on passing Downs

he is an all pro at 2 positions and an absolute force. People act like he is old at 27 lol he will be a stud till he is 35 lol 

the most dominate college player I have ever witnessed with my own eyes

Do you know of any with the contract that Mack will require?

I like Mack, and he is versatile, but his value lies in getting after the QB.  I would think he would be a DE for us, with the versatility to occasionally drop.

18 hours ago, QCity said:

....here's my dopey Cliff Notes version assessment....BOTH Mack and Donald are shopping for "NORTH of Von Miller+ money"....if their clubs do it or if their clubs have to find willing trade partners to pull it off doesn't make a rat's azz bit of difference to them...HOWEVER, with it being doubtful so far that it could be their current clubs, it's much easier said than done.....major draft capital and major dollars are in the mix IMO....buyers??...stay tuned..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

2 hours ago, SWATeam said:

Do you know of any with the contract that Mack will require?

I like Mack, and he is versatile, but his value lies in getting after the QB.  I would think he would be a DE for us, with the versatility to occasionally drop.

being a strong side linebacker on 1st down would only help our defense 

he can still get tons of sacks on 2nd and third down

Edited by Buffalo716

3 hours ago, vincec said:

Lorenzo Alexander is basically a 1 down LB that plays on rushing downs. He is a liability in pass coverage, as Mack would be if he played off the ball. That's fine for Lorax because of his age and heavy involvement with special teams but using Mack like that would be a complete waste of his ability. He needs to be a 3-4 OLB or RDE in a 4-3 so that he can stay on the field. He is basically an improved Jerry Hughes.

Him moving to 43 olb would be after his skills diminish which is what I was replying to in your original post. He can do it but I'm not saying he should, pass rushers are much more valuable than coverage LBs. 

Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack are vying to be the #1 defender in the league and want paid as such.

Right now its Von Miller. I think $114M... So yes both want to be the highest paid. What if Mack sign x amount say, 5 year $120M, $65M guarantee and then Donald signs a 5 year $130M $80 guarantee... then 1 will feel slighted.

Thing is, to be honest I don’t think the Rams nor the Raiders want to commit to that kind of contract. Not after the Raiders just signed Carr and Rams will be looking to extend Goff next soon.

I truly think Donald and Mack know they aren’t gonna get what they want, both will more than likely be on new teams next year. That being said... they should be serious about trading. Even then I don’t see teams giving away a bunch.

1 minute ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack are vying to be the #1 defender in the league and want paid as such.

Right now its Von Miller. I think $114M... So yes both want to be the highest paid. What if Mack sign x amount say, 5 year $120M, $65M guarantee and then Donald signs a 5 year $130M $80 guarantee... then 1 will feel slighted.

Thing is, to be honest I don’t think the Rams nor the Raiders want to commit to that kind of contract. Not after the Raiders just signed Carr and Rams will be looking to extend Goff next soon.

I truly think Donald and Mack know they aren’t gonna get what they want, both will more than likely be on new teams next year. That being said... they should be serious about trading. Even then I don’t see teams giving away a bunch.

...Miller set the bar....cross it if you dare.....pretty much what it boils down to IMO..............

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Miller set the bar....cross it if you dare.....pretty much what it boils down to IMO..............

True.  I don’t see a DT getting there. Yeah Donald is a beast but he’s not Von Miller as far as getting to the QB, and Mack is the closest but he’s getting older and I truly don’t see the Raiders forking up nearly $50M per year on 2 players.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

That's one take. Another is that when Chuck Knox built a playoff team by their third year he did it by building through the draft but he also brought in some older vets as "rah rah" guys like ex-Rams LBer Isiah Robertson, ex-Steelers WR Frank Lewis to bring in leadership to that young team.   I realize the team already has Kyle Williams, although this might be his last season.        

In my view, there is no timetable for a talent like Mack as he will instantly change the dynamic of the defense with his pass rush. The Bills already have a top secondary but it won't be as effective if there is little or no pass rush. With Mack, opponents will game plan around stopping him and from what I've seen that won't be happening. 

Don't forget about ex-Raiders LB Phil Villapiano.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You'd let a limited backup QB prevent the Bills from getting a dominant pass rushing DE ?  I'm not sure how this makes any sense at all. 

Check out his avatar. That should tell you all you need to know...

• Like (+1) 1