XFL Names Oliver Luck Commissioner and CEO

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to XFL Names Oliver Luck Commissioner and CEO

The other league stands much more of a chance than the XFL IMO.  McMahon said very little to give me faith... and his history of squeezing the life and keeping his thumb on his talent will stunt any chance for survival.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

That was said about the AFL!  If it is successful maybe they could plan a "bowl type" game playing the NFL, instead of the no interest Pro Bowl.

Polian's league has a better chance. Im not sure why there isn't an AHL like league for the NFL. I would watch that.

Just don't go head to head with the NFL, and focus on cities that don't have a TON of other options to set your initial franchises.

Go for LOYAL, smaller cities instead of bigger, flashy places. Don't put a team in LA, Dallas, NY, Vegas, etc. rather put teams in Buffalo (ha), Portland, OKC, St. Louis, San Antonio, Omaha, or places like those...Maybe you'll build up a loyal fanbase & can build off of them.

• Like (+1) 3

The biggest problem with the XFL is that McMahon is known as being the owner and in charge. He is too well known as the owner of pro wrestling and people wont view the XFL as a serious league. It's going to be viewed as being staged or have pre determined elements just like pro wrestling even if McMahon doesn't run it that way and really does plan on it all being legit.

The other problem is if they continue to make it over the top like the previous one and try to do things just to appease fans with gimmicky rules.

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

That was said about the AFL!  If it is successful maybe they could plan a "bowl type" game playing the NFL, instead of the no interest Pro Bowl.

oh dear....  :(

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

The biggest problem with the XFL is that McMahon is known as being the owner and in charge. He is too well known as the owner of pro wrestling and people wont view the XFL as a serious league. It's going to be viewed as being staged or have pre determined elements just like pro wrestling even if McMahon doesn't run it that way and really does plan on it all being legit.

The other problem is if they continue to make it over the top like the previous one and try to do things just to appease fans with gimmicky rules.

I just done see him settling on modest beginnings (which is absolutely necessary IMO).  Forming the teams as one entity with him as the president feeds into ego and control and is also bad for the league.  I think he might be counting on capitalizing on all the Trump supporters who are fake boycotting the NFL (some are).  Those people may watch in the beginning, but won't stick.  

As someone said.... start modestly, make it very friendly to players.  mid size cities and venues, probably regional.  That is better.  The Alliance of Football or whatever it is called stands more of a chance making it to year 3 and year 5.  Them jumping the start by a year also helps.  I would bet that the Alliance gets the 2nd tier, 2A would be CFL, and McMahon will get the leftovers (if his history treatment of his talent is any indication)

2 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Polian's league has a better chance. Im not sure why there isn't an AHL like league for the NFL. I would watch that.

Because the depth of the talent pool isn’t that deep. There are hardly 32 starting caliber QBs in the NFL, let alone enough talent at QB or Oline to have a real developmental league 

The CFL doenst even have enough talent to be a developmental league 

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Because the depth of the talent pool isn’t that deep. There are hardly 32 starting caliber QBs in the NFL, let alone enough talent at QB or Oline to have a real developmental league 

The CFL doenst even have enough talent to be a developmental league 

A lot of colleges have good enough QB that cant make it to the NFL so I dont see why that has to be a problem.  

I hope both leagues make it and play at different times of the year so we can watch football all year long!!

6 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

A lot of colleges have good enough QB that cant make it to the NFL so I dont see why that has to be a problem.  

I hope both leagues make it and play at different times of the year so we can watch football all year long!!

I’m not saying it won’t make it

im saying that it will be a vastly inferior product to the NFL and probably D1 football 

• Like (+1) 1

We went to an arena league game somewhere (Tampa?) and it was a lot of fun. It felt like team tennis with the music and general rowdiness. I hope they can make this format work. Luck is a smart guy so I’m sure he’s thought it through. It’s not like the USFL days where the media options were so limited. Think about how the world has changed in such a relatively short time. Who had a cell phone before Kelly joined the Bills? 

It will be fun to see how it plays out, and I’m glad I didn’t put MY 401K into it. 

6 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

this XFL stuff should be an Over The Wall  topic.  Like Wrastlin

,...huh?...an octagon shaped, caged field with NO penalties......Cena as Director of Officiating and Big Show as #1 Referee...now were rollin'..............

7 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

There is. And they play on Saturday’s. It’s called the NCAA.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

You mean like a Triple A minor league for the NFL?

I think there would be a ton of interest in such a league, and it would help find/develop talent for the NFL, particularly at the QB position.  Wish they would pursue this.

27 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

,...huh?...an octagon shaped, caged field with NO penalties......Cena as Director of Officiating and Big Show as #1 Referee...now were rollin'..............

Haystacks Calhoun, no relation to Patriots RB, Don Calhoun, would have been a hell of a nose tackle.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

You mean like the two players battling for the ball instead of a kickoff? That was actually kind of entertaining.

He Hate Me!

20 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

The other league stands much more of a chance than the XFL IMO. 

19 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Polian's league has the same fatal flaw as the original XFL.  Their season started too soon after the Super Bowl. 

It was kinda like on Thanksgiving, you don't go back for more turkey and stuffing after desert.  You wait a while and have a turkey sandwich later

Start the season a month or so before the NFL draft when we're hungry for some football.

I'm rooting for this league to take off, too. I don't think it has a chance to directly compete with the NFL, but if done right, it could be be an interesting minor league option for the NFL.

Allow players to play directly out of high school, so they could have access to young talent before the NFL is even allowed to get their hands on them for 3 years. Obviously the 5 star guys will still go to USC AND Alabama, but there are plenty of 3 star kids who can't make the grades coming out of high school, who have to otherwise go JuCo for a couple years, who could just go XFL for 3 years, and then declare for NFL Draft.

Get an exclusive rights broadcast contract with Hulu, Amazon Prime, or Netflix, or better yet, a semi-exclusive, where 1 "Game of the Week" is simultaniously shown on your main Hulu/Amazon/Netflix, and on a network, on Sunday nights at 7:30pm.

Make drastic replay changes that the NFL doesn't have the balls to do, to speed up the game. Most people are hating replay right now because it stops all of the action, so get the game back to a faster pace.

3 minutes ago, BuffalothruMyVeins said:

I'm rooting for this league to take off, too. I don't think it has a chance to directly compete with the NFL, but if done right, it could be be an interesting minor league option for the NFL.

Allow players to play directly out of high school, so they could have access to young talent before the NFL is even allowed to get their hands on them for 3 years. Obviously the 5 star guys will still go to USC AND Alabama, but there are plenty of 3 star kids who can't make the grades coming out of high school, who have to otherwise go JuCo for a couple years, who could just go XFL for 3 years, and then declare for NFL Draft.

Get an exclusive rights broadcast contract with Hulu, Amazon Prime, or Netflix, or better yet, a semi-exclusive, where 1 "Game of the Week" is simultaniously shown on your main Hulu/Amazon/Netflix, and on a network, on Sunday nights at 7:30pm.

Make drastic replay changes that the NFL doesn't have the balls to do, to speed up the game. Most people are hating replay right now because it stops all of the action, so get the game back to a faster pace.

How bad of a student would a kid have to be that, as a "3 star kid",  he could not get into some Div 1 football program??

Anyway, a league filled with Div 2 or 3 college talent and high school grads is not going to attract viewers, whereas the NFL's current minor league system is a multibillion dollar business.

I'll never understand the need for these attempts at creating bad football for public consumption when so much good football already exists.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd like one of these leagues to be successful.  The NFL desperately needs a minor league system for players, coaches and referees.   

The XFL is behind the eight ball though with the other league collecting all the "name" talent that is out there looking for something to do.  

Edited by dpberr

4 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I'd like one of these leagues to be successful.  The NFL desperately needs a minor league system for players, coaches and referees.   

The XFL is behind the eight ball though with the other league collecting all the "name" talent that is out there looking for something to do.  

It's called the CFL.

On 6/5/2018 at 10:24 AM, TheTruthHurts said:

That's what NFL Europe was for. Honestly, I only think it failed because it was in Europe. If they tried an experimental league here, but in secondary cities, essentially where a AAA baseball team would play, I think it would be successful simply because it's football during the offseason.

5 hours ago, BuffalothruMyVeins said:

sure their revenue stream is longer due to number of games but I doubt neither have the TV revenues the NFL does.....

...which is pretty disgusting.....the NFL has to wait for SOMEONE ELSE to launch a minor league system?.....can't afford it themselves?......look at the depth and numerous level of minor league play in MLB and NHL.....sure their seasons are longer which adds to the revenue streams, but I'm guessing NFL TV revenues are significantly more......not to mention the substantial differentiation in franchise valuations across the major sports (add in the NBA as well).....

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

How bad of a student would a kid have to be that, as a "3 star kid",  he could not get into some Div 1 football program??

Anyway, a league filled with Div 2 or 3 college talent and high school grads is not going to attract viewers, whereas the NFL's current minor league system is a multibillion dollar business.

I'll never understand the need for these attempts at creating bad football for public consumption when so much good football already exists.

I agree.

“I think our business plan is solid. I think the capital structure and that money of course is coming from Vince who’s got an incredible passion for the game. I think that’s solid. All in all I think that lessons were learned from the original league. Also I think at the end of the day, it’s a little bit of a different era in the sense of technology and what we have available both from a health and safety standpoint, for players, for coaches in terms of competition on the field, for practice, for fan engagement. I think it’s almost a different world if you think about what was around 2001 versus today. I think that’s going to be a real benefit for us.”

I think....this will be the predictable disaster that it currently is........