Whats the worst car problem you ever had

55 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Top This:

A few years ago, I went camping in Texas Hill Country with my cousin and uncle. We were on this gigantic ranch. After my uncle went to bed, My cousin and I decided to drive around the property. We found a lake, and drove right up to the lake. The ground we drove on, was really dry... until about 6 inches deep. The truck got stuck in what was essentially quicksand. My uncle left his phone in his truck to charge, so he didn't hear our calls. We spent the night in the car, and he finally called us back the next morning. My tried pulling us out with a rope, nothing. We decided to try jacking the truck up to make it easier to pull, nothing. So we decided to go back to camp, get some food and water in us, then go back and try, or call a tow truck at least.

We all jump up in the truck, and drive off. A mile down the road, just as luck would have it, we run over a sharp rock and get a flat tire. No biggie, we'll just put the spare on. Except the fact that the only jack we had, was in the only other vehicle we had, two miles back at the lake. About 20 oz of luke warm water between the three of us. So we had to hike two and a half miles each way, through giant hills, in the Texas heat. Got the jack, just to find out the last time  my uncle had the tires rotated, the people at the dealership put the lugnuts on too tight that none of us could get them off with a regular lug wrench. Including my offensive lineman cousin. So we drove back on unpaved roads to camp, and had to get a two for one special from the tow truck driver. Ended up just staying an extra night.

Seriously?  Top that?

I once owned a Pinto.

Yours is a weak-ass story.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Any comments about how we drove that close to a lake? Or left the jack there? Any sort of insult you'd like to hurl at me? Name you want to call me?

That's not a car problem.  That's an operator problem.

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

About 15 years ago, my wife saw a "for sale" sign on a metallic blue '65 Mustang coup, my favorite color, vintage, and model. I called the guy and set up a time to check it out. It was beautiful. I took it for a test drive and when I got to a stop light, the engine started running rough. The owner (in the passenger seat) reached for the shifter, put it into neutral, and told me to rev it up. "It's the only way to keep it running while idling," he said. Then he told me that he'd brought it to four different mechanics and nobody could figure out what was wrong with it.

It was a damn fine-looking car, but I passed on it. I'm glad I did - it would have been a money pit.

Mine was a Tahoe Turquoise 66 coupe.  I loved that car, but yes...it was a money pit. I took care of all the cosmetic work, new paint job, reupholstered the seats, new carpet. I just couldn't keep up w/ everything that kept breaking on the damned thing. I garaged it for a number of years before I sold it to some guy he was going to fix it up and give it to his 16yr old daughter for her birthday.  It wasn't fun for me anymore. I grew up. 

37 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I had that happen in my first car, a 1970 Ford Maverick. If anyone had been sitting in the passenger seat they would've had severe burns. Why any manufacturer would put something like that inside the firewall under the dash is beyond me.

In another scary instance about a dozen or so years ago, I picked my daughters up from a week of summer camp. It was about 45 miles in each direction and mostly highway. I was doing about 70 mph both ways and when we got near home they told me they were hungry so we stopped into a fast food burger joint. After eating we got in the car and backed up, the front right side of the car dropped ... The ball joint snapped. If that happened at 70 we would've been toast.

As I recall, it was a 75 Buick, so same era as yours.

Bad transmission on a Dodge Caravan or a broken timing chain on an old Volvo while driving on the I-90.

27 minutes ago, Richmond_Bills said:

you should lease

I do the same thing that THE SLAMMER does. I trade my car in as soon as the loan balance equals the trade in value, about three years. Sure, I could lease, but then you have to worry about mileage and the car's condition, etc. or else you get hit with fees. When you trade in the dealer just takes your car. No B.S.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Worst mechanical issue was I had my transmission go as I was driving. 

Other worst problem was having my hood fly up and smash the windshield as I was going about 50mph. Myself and gf(at the time) had just left valvoline(no surprise there) and they didn't fully latch the hood. Definitely the most scary thing I've had happen  while driving 

I once had my breaks go out in traffic. Thankfully it was slow rush hour traffic so I just pulled onto the median. Also ran out of gas once because I didn't feel like stopping at a gas station. Made it home. Couldn't start it the next morning. Kept trying to start it anyway. Learned me a lesson to the tune of $800.

The best car problem I had was my alternator going out. I called my brother who's a mechanic and told him what was happening. He told me to pull into the closest parking lot, because I wasn't gonna make it home. Made it to a bar that had $2 wells that night. I didn't wannna drink. But I didn't want to be rude either, ya know. So I had a whiskey or four while waiting on the tow truck.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

Me and my son were on our way from Lubbock to some National Parks in Colorado and Utah for a week of vacation. About 15 miles after Santa Rosa, my Ford Windstar blew its transmission. AAA sent a tow truck that towed us back to Santa Rosa. The repair shop said it would at least take half a week to get all the parts and do the repair, which would have essentially killed our vacation plans. I called the tow truck again (as AAA would pay for 100 miles per incident) and asked him if he could tow us to Albuquerque; I would pay for the charge beyond 100 miles. Unfortunately, the tow truck had only 1 passenger seat. Thus, my son had to sit on the floor of the cabin for 100 or so miles; he survived.

In Albuquerque, we found a repair shop specializing on transmissions. However, even they would need a few days to fix it. What to do about our trip? Fortunately, close to our two-star motel was a four/five-star hotel with a car rental. The selection was not great, but we got a Kia Sportage with which we were able to do the trip we had planned. Returning to Albuquerque, the van was fixed for our trip home.

This was 7 years ago. The Windstar is still alive, now driven by my son. If he and his friends get together, he is the only one who does not drive a truck (after all, this is Texas).  Strangely enough, his friends appear to have accepted his choice. A year ago, when finishing high school, his classmates (I assume, some females were involved) decorated the van very elaborately and labeled it "Swagger Wagon".

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I once had my breaks go out in traffic. Thankfully it was slow rush hour traffic so I just pulled onto the median. Also ran out of gas once because I didn't feel like stopping at a gas station. Made it home. Couldn't start it the next morning. Kept trying to start it anyway. Learned me a lesson to the tune of $800.

Again, not car problem.  Operator problem.

Every once in a while the CUE system in my Caddy acts up. It will look like my Bluetooth is paired and all, but the music won’t play off my phone. I usually have to turn the car off and on to get it going again. Oh and also once in a while when I do the remote start in the winter, the heat doesn’t kick on. Pretty horrifying stuff, I know...

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Well if we're doing operator problem can we do operator/passenger problem?

Me and a friend planned on leaving Thursday after work to go skiing. As the day progressed the promising snow storm turned into a snow/ice storm and right before we were about to leave a state of emergency was declared for where we had to drive through.

My friend Einstein (not his real name) suggests we can bypass the worst of the storm by driving up to the east and then cut-over further north. We'll take it slow and who cares how long it takes. Not so deep down I know this is a bad idea, but fresh snow and an empty mountain await just north of the ice storm.

Did you ever see stories of hundreds of cars stranded overnight on a highway and think what a bunch of dumb-a$$es? Yeah, that was us.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Running out of gas is the single-biggest operator-error car repair ever.

PEOPLE! The fuel pump is never meant to cavitate and is cooled by the gasoline it sits in. Please don't run out of gas!

Back on topic......

I used to drive a lot, about 50k a year for work. 2001 Honda Civic. Had the 2nd timing belt service done at 200k and about 20k later, the belt came off and all the valves kissed the pistons. 

My mechanic who did the original work showed me that the tensioner spring (Honda genuine) snapped apart and that's the reason the belt came off.

He charged me $250 for shop supplies, fixed the head and everything else (without charging me the $2700 repair bill) and chased Honda for the money. 

That's the only issue I've had minus one A/C compressor grenading after 250k life, and normal brakes/tires/wear parts.

Toyota blows.  Finally got the HVAC blower motor assembly in.  How does the "Squirrel Cage" break after 12k miles.

I was tempted to ask for a loaner in Buffalo and put 1,100 miles on it... Or the should have pulled one out from a truck on the lot.

Ridiculous.  They are swapping it out first thing tomorrow.  Had to drive "Ghetto" all the way back to Illinois, which is the ghetto.  

50 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I had a 2006 Cadillac CTS and it was the worst car ever!!! There was some sort of electrical failure and it would NEVER work and pretty much no one could fix it. Total POS and will never, ever, ever consider another Cadillac. 

Was it new?  Used?  In a flood?

89 Grand Am. If you were driving the car at speed and then come to a stop light it would stall. First time it did it was in the middle of a busy intersection in Pittsburgh. Getting it out of the road would have meant pushing it uphill so I was stuck. Put the parkong brake on, called a tow truck, etc.  Cop pulls up and tells me to try it, It starts and pulls right away and I look like an ass.  It does it a couple more times over the next month or so but not consistently so it was very hard to show a mechanic. 2 different shops punted, by buddy had another 89 grand am with the same problem and sold it in frustration.

Read through a Hughes guide and find out there is a solenoid in the transmission that locks the car into high gear at high speed. Turns out the solenoid was sticking so when you'd slow down the car wouldn't downshift and it wouldn't idle in top gear so it would die unless you caught it in time and two footed the pedals to keep the rpms up. Relatively cheap fix once I figured out what it was but it was really annoying for awhile and it's very unnerving to drive a car you think might die at every stop light.

Had a car door break just before I made my way home to Delaware Ave, held real tight as I hit the curve at 33 and 198.

Had a belt break as I was moving into a turning lane on Transit

Oil leak led to me being stranded on the 290

Blown tire on the 90.  Good Samaritan drove me to the next rest stop

More recently I had a tire come off it's rim after the mechanic who installed the new valve stem broke the seal

Had to change a tire on High Street in Buffalo and almost got run over by a Metro bus when I was crouched by the wheel with the tire iron in hand. 

Had the heater core in a car blow out in the dead of winter on my way back from Clifton Hill at 1 am. Filled the passenger seat floor with antifreeze, left a green film on the windshield, and we froze our asses off. 

Had an 80s series Olds Cutlass with T-tops that were designed so poorly  that they shunted water into the windshield posts for drainage. They rotted so bad that when I took it to a garage to have the brakes done the mechanics left it on the lift overnight to finish the job in the morning, the frame flexed due to the lack of roof support with the T-tops and it blew out the windshield. 

I was visiting a friend in NYC in ~’95. Had a mid-80s high mileage, WNY winter beaten 4 cylinder 5-speed manual transmission econocar. When dropping into the driver’s seat right as we were heading home the front seat posts tore out of the floor and the seat tipped back and nearly deposited me in the back seat. I had to drive it from NYC to Buffalo with the seat lifting up every time I shifted, pushed down on the brake, or when the car accelerated. 

Was driving home from Buffalo to Ann Arbor one Christmas night when the computer in my car burned out and stranded me just south of Port Huron. I managed to get a flatbed to tow me and my car to Ann Arbor for almost as much as what it ultimately cost to fix the car, and I got home at about 3 am and had to be to work at 6 am. 

I could go on... and on... and on. 

1 hour ago, transient said:

Had to change a tire on High Street in Buffalo and almost got run over by a Metro bus when I was crouched by the wheel with the tire iron in hand. 

Had the heater core in a car blow out in the dead of winter on my way back from Clifton Hill at 1 am. Filled the passenger seat floor with antifreeze, left a green film on the windshield, and we froze our asses off. 

Had an 80s series Olds Cutlass with T-tops that were designed so poorly  that they shunted water into the windshield posts for drainage. They rotted so bad that when I took it to a garage to have the brakes done the mechanics left it on the lift overnight to finish the job in the morning, the frame flexed due to the lack of roof support with the T-tops and it blew out the windshield. 

I was visiting a friend in NYC in ~’95. Had a mid-80s high mileage, WNY winter beaten 4 cylinder 5-speed manual transmission econocar. When dropping into the driver’s seat right as we were heading home the front seat posts tore out of the floor and the seat tipped back and nearly deposited me in the back seat. I had to drive it from NYC to Buffalo with the seat lifting up every time I shifted, pushed down on the brake, or when the car accelerated. 

Was driving home from Buffalo to Ann Arbor one Christmas night when the computer in my car burned out and stranded me just south of Port Huron. I managed to get a flatbed to tow me and my car to Ann Arbor for almost as much as what it ultimately cost to fix the car, and I got home at about 3 am and had to be to work at 6 am. 

I could go on... and on... and on. 

AAA Plus RV membership will tow over 200 miles free.

Four out of five bolts sheered off my front wheel.

I was on the highway when it starting acting weird. Like driving on uneven asphalt. Pulled over and noticed that only one bolt was left. (this was the bolt, not the nut. There was nothing there.) I thought it might be a flat at first.

Looked something like this:

691e65a8-7d42-102d-8f1f-678b82e8086br.jp

Actually missed it at first, and was headed back inside the car, when I noticed it as I glanced down at the wheel one last time. 

Edited by unbillievable

I had a mid 70's Ford van that I bought for $75.

It had many minor minor problems as you would expect, but after a year, the steering box (I think) locked up. You could only turn the steering wheel a little to the right, and it was like tightening a bolt! There were no problems making left hand turns. 

We parked it and decided there were more problems than the van was worth. I lived about a mile from the drive in, so our farewell trip in the van was carefully laid out only making left hand turns on straight roads. 

After we got home, I had it picked up by a junk yard flatbed and they gave me $40 for scrap, so the car cost $35 to drive for a year. LOL!

• 1 month later...

Which vehicle?

First car, bought in 1991, a 1980 Buick Century - rear frame rails rusted through, so the bumper was barely hanging on. I had only had the car about two months. My Dad offered to pay half the cost of getting them fixed since he was the one that looked it over before I bought it. 

1986 Toyota MR2 

Had an issue where sometimes after filling it up, it would not idle steady, it would rev up and down, even when holding my foot steady on the gas. Usually a bottle of engine cleaner in the tank would help. But the one time it did not I was in the middle of nowhere Ohio, on July 4th weekend. Called AAA, and of course it took them over an hour to get me on the side of the highway. They towed me to the nearest decent size town with a hotel and repair shop nearby. I saw a Toyota dealer there but decided to not spend dealer pricing and went with the independent shop instead. Mistake. The shop decided it was the fuel pump, but of course they don't have it, needs to be ordered, and that will take a few days. I end up taking a Greyhound home. I find a fuel pump locally to me for half the price they quoted me ($125 vs $250) and have it shipped overnight. A week later I take Greyhound back to pick up my car. Get not even half an hour away and it starts acting up again. Take it back to them, they look it over and decide it needs new plugs and rotor/cap. Pick it up next day and make it home. Fast forward about a month. I'm leaving work, and the cute girl wants a ride to her home. We don't even get out of the parking lot when the car starts acting up again. She gets someone else to take her home and I drive to my local Toyota dealer, because I'm fed up with independent shops. They look at it and determine all it needs is the throttle body to be clean. 

Another time I had gone to Sears I think to have the brakes done. Driving home and I don't remember what got my attention, but ended up pulling over in a rest area on the highway because something wasn't right. Look in the engine compartment and see metal shavings but nothing obvious. Call AAA, get towed to our family friend that is a mechanic to have him look at it. He comes by later that night and shows me what he found, the idler pully had disintegrated. It also ground down the shaft, so a engine replacement had to be done. 

Work vans

Brake line blew out while exiting the highway in NJ. Taking a 20mph curve in a multi ton full size cargo van doing 50mph is scary. 

Multiple fuel pumps fail, one time was in a heavy rain storm during rush hour outside of Boston. I can't see if there's a vehicle next to me, so I turn on my blinker to pull over and just pray people get out of my way. 

I know there are others, I just can't remember them right now. 

On 6/4/2018 at 6:20 PM, DC Tom said:

When I moved down do DC, I got a VA driver's license.  Then I traded in the car I had to buy a new one.

Then a few months later, I get a letter from New York State: "Your insurance has lapsed on your old car."  Told them I didn't have it any more, they told me "Fine, just send us the bill of sale."  I send them the trade-in agreement.  "No, that's not sufficient, we need the bill of sale."  But I didn't sell it, I traded it in.  "But you no longer have the car?  How did you dispose of it without a bill of sale?"  I traded it in.  "Okay, then we need the bill of sale."  I don't have that, I have a trade-in agreement.  "That's not sufficient, we need the bill of sale."

After two months of that nonsense, I get a letter: "Because your car is uninsured, and you are delinquent on the fines for lack of insurance, we are suspending your NYS driver's license."  I haven't had a NY driver's license for about six months.  I forget exactly how I got that resolved; I do remember it required a letter to the Lt. Governor and a rather lengthy phone call to a county judge.  

Next year, I get an envelope in the mail from NYS Department of Taxation: "We notice you had a suspended driver's license for last year.  This qualifies you as a resident of NY, therefore you owe us a full year's worth of income tax..."  

So that's my worst car problem: owing income tax in a state I didn't live, for having suspended a license I didn't have, for not having insurance on a car I didn't own.

I had to pay $50 for each car under my name ( 3 of 'em) so that i could renew my PA driver's license.  F*** New York State

. . .oh, and I am still fighting NY over state Income Tax for 2014 - I neither lived in, nor worked a day in NYS in 2014, but because i still owned a house in NY, they want a chunk of my income.  ?

was on my way to an outback to pick up some crap on labor day weekend that my POS supervisor sent me for on my day off, should have told him to go eff himself but I was young and dumb.  I am getting off the interstate and the timing belt snaps, it was a 95 for Contour and that was the first of many problems to come, biggest POS I ever owned I hated that car and I'll hate it forever. 

Anyway  I coast off to the side of the road, steering locks up so i can't coast all the way over, so now i'm halfway in the turning lane, i go to get out and pop the hood, and as i shut the door the lock clicks on me, locking my keys in the car.  it's starting to rain.  this is 2001 I had my wifes cell phone with me and i called her at her parents house at a BBQ I was supposed to be at, she fires up the trans am to come get me but it takes 2 hours to get there it's raining, i'm fuming pissed. 

Tow truck happens by, helps me get the door open, offers to tow me. Cool, to the Ford dealership right?  No I've got a buddy mechanic who can get you fixed up in a jiffy.   uhhhh, ok.   Long story short, he can't fix it, i lose two days staying at my brothers house with no car, it ends up at Pep Boys (without my knowing until it's there) I don't pay shadetree idiot a dime, then pep boys says it's fixed, i go to leave and get almost home, it starts chitting the bed again so I take it finally to the ford dealer who has the special tool you need to fix this hunk of hell.   700 bucks later it's fixed, I get my $300 back from pep boys because they didn't fix it.    

1 year later we go to trade it in, it's overheating so bad i pull the thermostat but it pegs redline anyway.  We literally coast into a Saturn dealership to look at a SUV the wife likes, and i tell her before getting out of the car "if you don't like this SUV find something you do like, cause this thing isn't making it home".    Turns out the car she liked was already sold.   frickin frickity frick.   But hey, what's that jeep liberty up on the thing there?   That's a 2002 (1 year old) with 10k miles on it.   Oh yeah?  How much?  12k.   Take her down we're goin for a test drive.    She loved that liberty, we took it home for something like 180 a month and everybody happy happy.    

Self inflicted problem. I bought a brand new Subaru WRX when they first came out in 2002. I had the car for 9 days and had just under 400 miles on it. I was driving  back to the house from a bar after having 1 too many. I want hammered drunk, but I had enough to give me the false sense of invincibility. I drove this road hundreds of times in the past, so I was getting on it pretty hard. I took a turn marked 35 mph at about 60. There is a slight bump in the turn, so I ended up wheel hopping and spinning out and smashing 3 of the 4 corners of the car into an embankment and ended up stalled in the middle of the road. I tried to start it.......nothing. I tried to  push it off to the side.....No dice. I got back in and sat there ready to  cry and turned the key and it fired up. I ended up driving back to my place on one 1 tire and 3 rims. Did 13K worth of damage, which was just under the amount that would have "toatled" it. To this day I don't know how the airbag didn't deploy. I thank God every day there wasn't someone coming the other way. God looks out for children and fools.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Self inflicted problem. I bought a brand new Subaru WRX when they first came out in 2002. I had the car for 9 days and had just under 400 miles on it. I was driving  back to the house from a bar after having 1 too many. I want hammered drunk, but I had enough to give me the false sense of invincibility. I drove this road hundreds of times in the past, so I was getting on it pretty hard. I took a turn marked 35 mph at about 60. There is a slight bump in the turn, so I ended up wheel hopping and spinning out and smashing 3 of the 4 corners of the car into an embankment and ended up stalled in the middle of the road. I tried to start it.......nothing. I tried to  push it off to the side.....No dice. I got back in and sat there ready to  cry and turned the key and it fired up. I ended up driving back to my place on one 1 tire and 3 rims. Did 13K worth of damage, which was just under the amount that would have "toatled" it. To this day I don't know how the airbag didn't deploy. I thank God every day there wasn't someone coming the other way. God looks out for children and fools.

Glad you weren't killed, that could have ended much worse than 13k.    The WRX was a cool car back in the day.   I always loved the Baja too.   Looked like someone put an avalanche in the dryer for too long.  

4 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Glad you weren't killed, that could have ended much worse than 13k.    The WRX was a cool car back in the day.   I always loved the Baja too.   Looked like someone put an avalanche in the dryer for too long.  

There are so many terrible things that could have happened. I think back on it with dread of how my life could have been completely altered if I hurt or killed someone or even got a DUI. Probably the single dumbest thing I've ever done.

17 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

There are so many terrible things that could have happened. I think back on it with dread of how my life could have been completely altered if I hurt or killed someone or even got a DUI. Probably the single dumbest thing I've ever done.

I had an 84 olds delta 88 that i got from a family member.  Was drunk, was speeding, spun it around at least 3 times at 1am on a back road, and didn't hit anything.   I could not believe it, i still can't.   You are 100% right.  God looks after the stupid ones...most of the time.    But we live and we learn.