Don’t be a high maintenance poster

SDS

33 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Yesterday was Memorial Day, to remember those who have passed. Although NDBUFFCUSEBLIZZARDBISONSNUMBERONEALLTIMEFAN probably offed himself that day, so go for it. 

No, he came back in March 2017.  Only to do it again.

1 hour ago, BB@Shooter said:

Maybe, just maybe the new guys question things. We didn't know we were supposed to bend over and defer.

There was no implying of anything of the sort, nor was I talking about you.  

Bye, Felicia.

I have been on this board for 11 years now (formerly VanCity) and have seen the dpc (dumbasses per capita) raise exponentially in the last 2 years. Might be  BBMB shutdown, might be a new generation of fans finding the board, I dunno. I feel for Scott  and the mods who, at zero cost to any of us, have provided us with a great place to discuss our favourite team only to have a bunch of clowns create added work and stress for them. Get your life together if what you are saying and doing has been a far greater part of the problem than the solution.

rant over

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SDS said:

Hey guys and gals... I just wanted  to point out something obvious, but needs to be said anyway.

This is a Buffalo Bills message board and though occasionally conversations get heated, for the most part, most everyone should be transparent to the moderators in day-to-day conversations.

However, if you find yourself reporting posts every single day or if you have your posts reported every single day then that means you are inserting yourself into the life of the moderators on a daily basis. There is absolutely no reason in the world why this should ever happen. 

Interacting conflict free on a message board is a very low bar of social interaction to clear. We have had thousands of people come through here and able to navigate that successfully.

Please do not be a high maintenance poster. Thanks. 

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!!!!!

This is why we can't have nice things.  People quibble over every rule, want everything quantified down to the last pixel when common sense should be enough.  I used to be a mod and then admin on a board a decade or so ago and I know I only stepped in when I had to.  From what I can tell, staff here seems the same.

Simply put, we're not idiots.  We all know how to behave and what we should be doing.  If a staff member says something, one of two things happened.  You got carried away and got a private nudge to settle down, or you did something you didn't realize was wrong, and got a private poke from staff letting you know.  When that happens, the staff isn't out to get you!  Most likely they just want the issue done and corrected so they can go back to doing almost anything else.  If people listen, learn and respect that...there shouldn't be further problems.

Sadly, one or more people are not listening, and so we have this thread, one I'm certain the staff would have much preferred not writing.  It's a blanket statement, because the goal is correcting the behavior, not shaming the offender(s).  So, to support the staff, let me be blunt.  Please realise the staff are human, and staff duties are rarely fun.  If a staff member messaged you privately, it's not because they are bored, or a jerk.  There was behavior disruptive to the forum taking place.  Please pay close attention to what is said, and make any adjustments requested.  Good staff members will drop the hammer when need be, for the good of the forum.  But good staff members will usually feel terrible when they have to.  Don't put them in that position.

Listen when the staff tells you something, and just use some common sense when posting.  That's really all it should take.

Edited by The Red King
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be mistaken but I think by "sensitive diva amoung the unruly rabble" John C meant "person reporting multiple posts every day"

You are astute, perspicacious and adroit.?

12 hours ago, SDS said:

Hey guys and gals... I just wanted  to point out something obvious, but needs to be said anyway.

This is a Buffalo Bills message board and though occasionally conversations get heated, for the most part, most everyone should be transparent to the moderators in day-to-day conversations.

However, if you find yourself reporting posts every single day or if you have your posts reported every single day then that means you are inserting yourself into the life of the moderators on a daily basis. There is absolutely no reason in the world why this should ever happen. 

Interacting conflict free on a message board is a very low bar of social interaction to clear. We have had thousands of people come through here and able to navigate that successfully.

Please do not be a high maintenance poster. Thanks. 

How many times has this post been reported??

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be mistaken but I think by "sensitive diva amoung the unruly rabble" John C meant "person reporting multiple posts every day"

It was a case of mistaken identity by my skimming too fast. Some rookie was giving SDS lip and that's who I first responded to. 

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are astute, perspicacious and adroit.?

My apologies to you good sir. Carry on. 

17 minutes ago, Nanker said:

It was a case of mistaken identity by my skimming too fast. Some rookie was giving SDS lip and that's who I first responded to. 

My apologies to you good sir. Carry on. 

I am so low a character that I am not worthy of apologies. Rarely does someone call me a good sir, however many people call me a bastard. I take no offense. ?

Edited by JohnC

Just now, JohnC said:

I am so low a character that I am not worthy of apologies. Rarely does some one call me a good sir, however many people call me a bastard. I take no offense. ?

Good.  Bastard.

19 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

How many times has this post been reported??

Zero so far.  But someone could be asking themselves one question "Do I feel lucky?"

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The mods actually check the Report queue?  :devil:

Yes. 

Doesn't seem to be a feature in this new software that lets folks check what's happened with their reports, so I can see where a contrary impression could arise.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Infinitum said:

Forums were so much better back in the '90's.

These days, everyone takes offense to everything.

I would just remove the ability for users to report posts.

They were even better in the '80's when you had to mail in your posts.

Edited by Epstein's Mother

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

There was no implying of anything of the sort, nor was I talking about you.  

Bye, Felicia.

If you don't want people to guess at what you mean, maybe try being a little more specific. 

Toodles, Francis.

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes. 

Doesn't seem to be a feature in this new software that lets folks check what's happened with their reports, so I can see where a contrary impression could arise.

It's been nice having you on the payroll.

This board was a complete sh**-show leading up to the draft. BBMB in full effect starting a new thread for every thought that popped into mind, gimmick accounts starting anti-semitic threads all they wanted. It was no holds barred for a while there.

I know I was reporting at least a thread a day back then, and I would (and will) do it again. The other option is having posters engage directly, and that's exactly what the trolls want, and also drags the board down to their level.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Jasovon said:

I'm impressed if people can get riled up at this time of year, i can understand on game day if emotions get out of hand but there is almost nothing to talk about right now.

DID YOU JUST CRITICIZE THE BILLS!?!? IM GONNA RIP YOUR FACE OFF!

?

14 hours ago, SDS said:

However, if you find yourself reporting posts every single day.....

There are grown men who do this??  :blink:

Anyone who reports posts every day (or ever) needs to have a 'whiny B word' icon attached to their profile.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

There are grown men who do this??  :blink:

Anyone who reports posts every day (or ever) needs to have a 'whiny B word' icon attached to their profile.

That's like saying either you feel the mods should be everywhere, reading every post on every thread,  or else the forum should be totally unmoderated.

I know for a fact I didn't sign up for the first.

I'm not sure we'd all like the look of the 2nd.   You might not actually understand exactly what that would look like.

12 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Didn't realize there were idiots here doing something childish like reporting posts every day.

Pretty sad.

I can guess who a couple of them are, though.

Reporting you.

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's like saying either you feel the mods should be everywhere, reading every post on every thread,  or else the forum should be totally unmoderated.

I'm not sure we'd all like the look of the 2nd.   You might not actually understand exactly what that would look like.

No, that's like saying people need to have a thicker skin and anyone reporting posts on a daily basis should not be taken seriously.

No one who's been here for more than a cup of coffee has ever suggested either of the options you present.   We've had plenty of mods over the years who managed to walk the line between enforcement and restraint pretty effectively.  We're also had some who struggle with that balance.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, KD in CA said:

No, that's like saying people need to have a thicker skin and anyone reporting posts on a daily basis should not be taken seriously.

Hmmm well.  You are right that someone who reports a bunch of posts that are "really?  you're reporting that?" on a daily basis does not get taken seriously.  In fact they run the risk of riling the Mighty Thor, as you see by this thread. 

But you said " Anyone who reports posts every day (or ever) needs to have a 'whiny B word' icon attached to their profile.

I disagree with the bolded.

And there are times when folks get generally riled up and testy, or when there's a couple bad actors rolling around, and there could be legit reports, usually from the same handful of generally calm and level-headed posters, every day.

Just now, KD in CA said:

No one who's been here for more than a cup of coffee has ever suggested either of the options you present. 

'Scuse me, but when you say "Anyone who reports posts ever needs to have a 'whiny B word' icon attached to their profile, that is pretty much what you're suggesting: either the mods should be everywhere, or the forum should be, at best, very inconsistently moderated or unmoderated because the mods CANT be everywhere.

Just chiming in, so I can be on record if thread is ever locked.

*You're all a bunch of idiots.©®

Listen to SDS.  He is spot on.  Play nice and nothing is needed, even moderation.  Makes his and other's lives easier... That's a good thing, a good thing for the board thing.  This place should be self-running.

*DCTom, check is in mail.  When you get it, hold it for a week... Some beatch better not scan it w/a phone & bank app the sec you get it! ?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Look no further than The Dungeon - PPP. :ph34r: it’s largely self-moderated and fools are not suffered lightly.