Every Josh Allen TD pass in 2016/2017

Cam Newton's career completion percentage is 58.5% and he's got an MVP trophy and a Super Bowl appearance.  The more film you see of this kid, the more you have to like him.  Bring him along slow, clean up the footwork and maybe we'll have a replacement for Jim Kelly 22 years after he retired!

45 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

sit, sit, sit. let him ease into it. we are in good hands and after next offseason, we have a playoff...deep playoff roster.

Agreed, plus another offseason will help to build the offense around him more.

46 minutes ago, H2o said:

I watched an interview with his coach a couple days before the draft. They were running a PA bootleg where he was supposed to throw the ball to the FB in the flat at practice. He proceeds to run the play, but chucks it deep for a 65 yard TD. The coach says, "Josh!!! You're supposed to hit the FB in the flat!!!" His response? "Coach, Favre says touchdowns first." :lol:

Honestly, he is the opposite of Tyrod.  I think with a solid defense and a QB that can hit quick home runs while still relying on a solid run game...that'd be tough to beat.  

22 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Remember, this isn't Manuel or Losman

Well, we don't know that yet. But I definitely feel better about him than I did with EJ. When we drafted EJ I couldn't believe it, I really hated that pick. I rewatched some of his film after we drafted him and I was not reassured. With Allen my opinion has changed somewhat since rewatching the film and watching his Senior Bowl throws. I'm still not 100% on board but I get why he was a top 10 pick for reasons you wouldn't find in any analytics. He's risky as heck but the upside is there. If nothing else his development will be fun to watch.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

His footwork is really bad.  I can see why people talk about that so much and how he relies on pure arm strength to bail himself out of trouble.  He loves to throw off the wrong foot.

When he's running for his life a QB isn't worried about footwork.  There are a handful of NFL QBs who could make those throws. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He sure lit it up last year against powerhouses like Hawaii, Air Force, Oregon & Colorado St. I just don't think there's enough lipstick to put on this. His awful accuracy cancels out strength, size and that pretty 37 wonderlic.....I can't comment on his character but I'm sure he wishes those tweets didn't get out. We'll see?  ?

yeah - he doesn't make the schedule.

Go find something else to do.

3 hours ago, Derelichte said:

Get #4 in for a tryout, scored 80% of those TDs.

I’m guessing someone has responded already but he’s in camp with the Bears after being on their practice squad most of the season last year. He looks good to me too. 

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He sure lit it up last year against powerhouses like Hawaii, Air Force, Oregon & Colorado St. I just don't think there's enough lipstick to put on this. His awful accuracy cancels out strength, size and that pretty 37 wonderlic.....I can't comment on his character but I'm sure he wishes those tweets didn't get out. We'll see?  ?

Do you believe everything you read? His accuracy issues are overblown in my opinion. He made some big time throws in that video and if that doesn’t get you at least a little excited about what he COULD be, then you are trying too hard to dislike him.

On a side note, I love that a vast majority of these TD’s are thrown into the end zone as opposed to being created by a stud receiver with lots of YAC. He hit some tight windows.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, H2o said:

One thing is for certain. DB's are gonna have to stay honest and try to cover our receivers forever when a play breaks down. If they don't then Allen will burn them. 

Yeah, I noticed that.  "He's out of the pocket and I'm covering this guy like paint on a wall, we're done...WHUPS!"

3 hours ago, Wyo_Bills Fan said:

#4 was Tanner Gentry.  He is currently on the Bears practice squad - Bills should try and poach him and develop him.   #88 in the videos is Jacob Hollister who is a 2nd yr backup TE with the Pats.  #5 was Brian Hill who rushed for nearly 2000 yds.  He lost all three of those players, to include his center (Redskins) in the 2017 draft who accounted for probably 90% of the TDs in 2016.  

That is who they cut Deonte Thompson for, btw. To bring up Gentry to the 53. He had chemistry with Mitchell Biscuits. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Thats the part that worries the most.  Giving him too much time and asking him to be the surgeon.

when it’s run and chuck...that’s the easy part.

maybe, but with a clean pocket, some time and good receivers(nfl type), he can be coached to be patient.....unlike someone with the initials t.t. he's got a snappy release so if he can hang for 2-3 seconds, he can be great....and there's always the rpo.

if he can become someone who can do both based on the opponent, it is going to be a new era.

that's what i like about daboll. he is not going to have a specific scheme that he will force. he will adapt his plan according to his talent and change it as needed for each opponent. should be a breath of fresh air for once.

we will finally have an oc that will game plan the way bb does....one game, one opponent at a time.

Edited by billsredneck1

6 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

On a side note, I love that a vast majority of these TD’s are thrown into the end zone as opposed to being created by a stud receiver with lots of YAC. He hit some tight windows.

I think he had the least amount of YAC out of any QB in the draft. The actual stat was posted in another thread, probably the Josh Allen thread. It's true that his receivers didn't get much separation at all.

I'm a skeptic, but I'm trying to focus on the positives now.

His super-quick release is amazing and when he's accurate, it's a thing of beauty. If he's aggressive and scores TDs in the NFL, maybe we can live with the INTs. Favre was the same way and it certainly didn't stop him from becoming a HOFer.

A few things I noticed while watching that:

1 - Wyoming's RT is useless

2 - Wyoming's uniforms are butt-ugly

3 - The throw at 5:50 is a pass about 0.0004% of the population can make

Kid has a rocket for sure.

11 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Allen keeps his eyes down field when he is scramblingTyrod didn’t.

This is exactly what noticed and very exciting to think about....man would I scream for Tyrod to keep his eyes down field...Allen does this

5 minutes ago, eball said:

Heavily disagree with #2 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

^^Thinks completion percentage is an accurate measurement of throwing accuracy^^

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Anyone else kind of wishing we still had Marquise Goodwin right now for this kid to just launch passes downfield to?  I get why we didnt keep him, made sense to move on when he couldn't stay on the field.  But hoping we bring someone with some jets to just unleash down field for this kids arm.  

Two players that I really didn't want to see leave were Goodwin and Woods. We would have a good WR core with them here right now.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Oh.

The world does have a large talent pool.

It does and, while it was my understanding there would be no math, I do believe .0004 of the world population would still be over 3 million people.

Running for your life toward the sideline, throwing against your body, both feet off the ground at the point of release, over fifty yards in the air, and accurate. I'm thinking eball might be right...

12 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

It does and, while it was my understanding there would be no math, I do believe .0004 of the world population would still be over 3 million people.

Running for your life toward the sideline, throwing against your body, both feet off the ground at the point of release, over fifty yards in the air, and accurate. I'm thinking eball might be right...

Ok, I overestimated.  I'll go with 0.00000004%.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Footwork.  Fix that he's more accurate.  

no doubt the guy's got a rocket launcher for an arm.  but it looked like a lot of those were to wide open targets from blown defense, or just poor defense in general.  not sure the NFL will be so accommodating.

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Footwork.  Fix that he's more accurate.  

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. He's just inconsistent not matter what the circumstances are. This was clearly demonstrated in the offseason practices as he completely missed a target net from 10 yards away, but then nailed the goal post in one shot from 35 yards away. I think we just have to accept that this is the nature of the beast. We're gonna see amazing one-in-375 million throws, but also amazingly bad throws. He might lead the league in TDs and INTs at the same time.

15 hours ago, H2o said:

One thing is for certain. DB's are gonna have to stay honest and try to cover our receivers forever when a play breaks down. If they don't then Allen will burn them. 

This.  I have noticed that if you can give him 3 seconds in the pocket, he could pick you apart.  In this and other films he appears to bail on the pocket too quick, but hey what do I know.  I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

18 minutes ago, davspo said:

This.  I have noticed that if you can give him 3 seconds in the pocket, he could pick you apart.  In this and other films he appears to bail on the pocket too quick, but hey what do I know.  I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

That's one of the biggest weaknesses I've noticed so far (I've watched 18 of his 25 games so far) - he tends to leaves the pocket too soon. Although not always, so he shows that he's capable of buying time in the pocket and making progressions. Just needs to do that more consistently.

Can David Culley and Brian Daboll teach this kid to be a technician? To consistently manage a game? That's the biggest question.

• Like (+1) 2

There is a lot to like here.

First off, there are about 10 TD throws he made that no other player in this draft class could make.  

Secondly, the guy doesn't just throw fast balls, there were lots of nice lofted touch passes in there.   

He does tend to leave the pocket early and I think that is a symptom of having such an awful line, so he will have to clean that up some.

I just think he's going to end up being a really good QB in this league.

My observations for what they're worth:

1 - Effortless 40 yard bullets on the run.  Forget all the combine tests, this kid's arm strength outclasses all the others.

2 - Not a whole lot of YAC for his receivers.  Most of these TD's were thrown, not short passes where the receiver made the play.

3 - His offensive line was awful.  On most of those passes, he was flushed from the pocket in 2 seconds.

4 - Related, he can scramble.  Looks a lot more athletic as a runner than his numbers would suggest.

Overall, I see why the Bills traded up for him.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, zevo said:

Heavily disagree with #2 

17 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Yup. They’re actually quite nice. And the yellow pants combined with the white jersey is gorgeous. 

I dunno, boys...when the primary colors are piss yellow and poop brown I've got to question anyone who says those look good.

He looks good.  It seems like he was able to make some plays without a grate group of guys to catch the ball.  That being said, when Charles Clay is healthy, that is going to be a lethal target for him.  Additionally, I think he is going to love Benjamin in the end zone.  If we could get ourselves a burner to play outside, across from Benjamin, we'll have a pretty decent receiver corps when healthy.

15 hours ago, Derelichte said:

Get #4 in for a tryout, scored 80% of those TDs.

I was going to post the same thing, looks like he can play and have a very nice thing going on with Allen. 

Very impressive, and its easy to see what the Bills saw in him.  I have seen the lowlight reels too, so I am not blind to his flaws, but man, when he is on he is impressive.  Optimistic.

5 hours ago, eball said:

No one has worse unis than Maryland. That said, these guys look like a bunch of overripe bananas.