Bills would have “strongly considered” Mason Rudolph at 22

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I mentioned in another thread but Steelers are chirping that  they had a 1st round grade on him 

So did I.  They must have tapped my phone.

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

BBFS. Rosen got you all twisted up. Poor fella.

He definitely has to be one of the more humble posters.

Allen, Edmunds, Phillips

Or 

Edmunds, DJ Moore, Rudolph at #53, #56, Phillips, and #96

I still take Allen and Edmunds but I would be fine with the second group.  I don't see Beane reaching for Rudolph at 22.  Bills would have been pissed to see Price picked at 21 in the second scenario.  

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

The Steelers thought Rudolph was the best QB among the top six...I am sure their scouting abilities are far better!

No, they didn't.  If they thought he was the best QB in the draft, they take him in the 1st round, not the 3rd.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not surprised given how much due diligence they did on him 

Maybe all the due diligence they did would have made them overlook him at 22 just like every other team in the League?

Lets hope hey considering where he went...

So I'm probably in the minority here, but I think Rudolph is not in an ideal spot. He might eventually replace Big Ben and the fans will hate him because they will expect him to be Big Ben and not matter what he does, he will not live up to expectations because he simply does not have enough talent. They will draft someone else, and that guy will be in an ideal spot because he is simply replacing Rudolph. 

Rudolph would be in an ideal spot in a place like Baltimore, Cincinnati, or Jacksonville where teams kind of know their quarterback sucks and Rudolph would not have to do too much to look better than them. Even here where he would have only had to compete with AJ. Anyway I was very much against this guy on my team, but I wish him luck. 

Given that I firmly believe Allen will bust, Rudolph at 22 plus having all those lost picks back would have been a great approach.

Even if Rudolph busts too, at least we would have had the extra picks.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Their reason would be they have a franchise Quarterback and were not in "must have" mode. It wouldn't surprise me if the Steelers had a 1st round grade on Rudolph. It was reported by multiple outlets before the draft that a "handful" of teams saw him as a 1st rounder and no team spent as much time scouting Rudolph as the Steelers. Equally it wouldn't surprise me if they had a 2nd on him. 

Ben contemplated retirement this off-season.

I doubt he plays more than 2 years.

I see no reason to pass on him if you think so highly of him.

It's Rudolph fans trying to act like he was higher rated than a third, even to the Steelers.

I have no doubt they are happy drafting him, but if they had a first round grade, and thought he could be the heir to Ben, they would have taken him sooner than they did.

Edited by SouthNYfan
Typo

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I mentioned in another thread but Steelers are chirping that  they had a 1st round grade on him 

What do the Steelers know about talent evaluations?  Pfff

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Ben contemplated retirement this off-season.

I doubt he plays more than 2 years.

I see no reason to pass on him if you think so highly of him.

It's Rudolph fans trying to act like he was higher rated than a third, even to the Steelers.

I have no doubt they are happy drafting him, but if they had a first round grade, and thought he could be the heir to Ben, they would have taken him sooner than they did.

And when Ben does retire they will have their Quarterback. I will be here in 2 or 3 years if Rudolph flames out.  I think he has a pretty good chance to be decent. 

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

There is no way the Steelers wanted Rudolph over Allen. They may have had a late first round grade on Rudolph, but there is no way they had him as a the first quarterback. Hogwash. 

I would agree there is no way he was their #1 Quarterback.  I think the nuance here is that he was probably the #1 guy they thought they could get. That just means they had him above Lamar Jackson.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I said before the draft that it wasn't my first choice, but I would not mind taking Roquan at 12, then Rudolph or Jackson at 22 and keeping the rest of our picks. That would go for Edmunds, too. I wouldn't mind Edmunds, Rudolph, and then having the two second rounder and taking Chark or Pettis or even James Washington for Rudolph and one of the good OL still available.

Lorax was on WGR and said when he talked with McBeane....they had Edmunds above Roquan

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And when Ben does retire they will have their Quarterback. I will be here in 2 or 3 years if Rudolph flames out.  I think he has a pretty good chance to be decent. 

I would agree there is no way he was their #1 Quarterback.  I think the nuance here is that he was probably the #1 guy they thought they could get. That just means they had him above Lamar Jackson.  

I honestly don't think he will flame.

I think he will be a solid starter replacement for Ben, nothing special, but just average to above average.

I just cannot believe they had a first round grade on a QB and decided to roll the dice and pass on him for a safety and a wr.

1 minute ago, Magox said:

It appears that most paid nfl evaluators had Allen over Rosen and the sports tv ex football players favored Rosen.

I know dilfer loves Allen

22 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

There is no way the Steelers wanted Rudolph over Allen. They may have had a late first round grade on Rudolph, but there is no way they had him as a the first quarterback. Hogwash. 

My point I was getting at is if they had a late first grade on him, then they wouldn't have taken a safety and a wr before him.

At least not both of them.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Well they did take a 4th round safety with their 1st round pick.... so........

As good as they are at drafting WRs, they  suck at drafting DBs

Edited by YoloinOhio

13 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I'm not sure there's anyone who has been more consistently wrong through this whole thing than Allbright.  Seems pretty clear he's just a shill who'll say anything teams want to try to climb the ladder.  If this was Schefter or Rapaport, I'd actually believe it.  I think Darnold was our #1.

19 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

One of my other VT buddies speculated that they saw T. Edmunds available and mistakenly thought it was Tremaine :lol:

I thought the exact same thing when I saw the pick.

3 hours ago, Magox said:

It appears that most paid nfl evaluators had Allen over Rosen and the sports tv ex football players favored Rosen.

Nah.  Sims loves Allen too.  Aikman loves Rosen because he's a UCLA guy.  Guys who've actually played or scouted love Allen, the thought being even at his floor he's a passable NFL QB but at his ceiling he's one of the best in the league.  As Kevin Durant would say, it's the "Blog Boys" who love Rosen.  

Edited by Chuck Wagon
  • Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Not sure what to make of that when Beane said there were "other guys" they would have been happy to take.  If you got your #1 guy then why would you say that?  Why not say, this was the guy we were taking all along regardless of how the other QBs fell into place?

Edited by NewEraBills

On 4/30/2018 at 6:06 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Not surprised given how much due diligence they did on him 

That article makes it sound like Rosen wasn't even on the Bills draft board, or if he was they had him below Rudolph. 

On 5/1/2018 at 10:46 AM, NewEraBills said:

Not sure what to make of that when Beane said there were "other guys" they would have been happy to take.  If you got your #1 guy then why would you say that?  Why not say, this was the guy we were taking all along regardless of how the other QBs fell into place?

I think you're reading too much into his comments.  I believe he was simply saying that the Bills were ready for however the board fell.  If Allen had gone #1 or #2, then "there were other guys" they would have taken.

Personally, I get sick of all of the "we never thought he'd be available" and "he was our guy all along" post-draft nonsense.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Interesting take from Big Ben. 

I always find it so comical when the media talks about guys learning from vets and getting taken under a guy's wing and all that crap. It is such BS. Why would Big Ben go out of his way to help his eventual replacement? It just doesn't make any sense. It is so overused and overstated. 

Contrary to popular belief, Mason Rudolph is in a terrible spot. He's Todd Collins. He is going to be expected to replace a legend, won't be able to do it, the fans will hate him, and he will never live up to the unfair expectations because he simply does not have the talent to do so. I think he can be a serviceable player, but he will never be good enough. 

Mayfield is in a good spot. Even if he is just ok, Cleveland will love him. Sam Darnold and Josh Allen are in good spots for the same reasons. Rosen is in a great spot because he'd essentially replace Sam Bradford, whom Cardinals fans have no connection to. Jackson is in a great spot, because, despite the fact that he won a Super Bowl, most Ravens fans think Flacco sucks. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just glad we don’t have to worry about watching him in a Bills uniform.  Thank you Brandon Beane.  

If Ben plays another 3-4 years, getting drafted by the Steelers May have extended Rudolph’s career, just like it extended Landry Jones’.  He won’t have to play much so the league won’t get to see how bad he is

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yowza.  A guy other teams passed over until the third round?

Not feeling all warm and cosy about this idea.

To be fair for QB's you just gotta get your guy. As long as you were right, no one will care or judge when you drafted them.