The Most Scathing Draft Review You’ll Find- Rotoworld’s Evan Silva Rips Into Class and McDermott’s Personnel Evaluations

Silva is a notoriously difficult grader, anyway, but this is a particularly scathing review. I don’t agree with all of it (though I agree 12, 53, & 56 was an exorbitant cost for 7), but I do have to say that I sure hope the Bills’ plan is to give Allen the Goff/Trubisky treatment. What I mean is giving him the superb coaching, receiving options, and line protection the Rams and Bears have made a conscious and concerted point to do the last two offseasons.

Right now Allen has very little of what he’ll need to succeed- and he already has some individual development to do, of course.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/79600/174/2018-afc-draft-grades?pg=1

Edited by Midwest1981

The word is that the Bills were in a bidding war at 7 with the Cardinals and that they both coveted Allen.   Whether or not you personally like Allen is besides the point and you have to throw out the draft chart if you are going after your franchise QB, specially considering that they were trying to target him at 5.   If you are going after someone at 5 and trading 2 2nds would have been a deal at that slot but now you are still targeting the same guy at 7 and now all of a sudden it's not a good "value"?  That's stupid.

They "overpaid" because they were about to lose him to the Cards.  If you believe that you could be getting your franchise QB and you trade away 2 2nds to get him along with a 1st rounder, I would say that is not too much to give up.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 20
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This draft hinges on the success of Josh Allen.  Period.

As a prospect, Allen is one of the most polarizing Quarterbacks to come out of college in decades. 

Some people saw him as the #1 QB in the draft.  Others thought he should have been a Day 3 pick. 

So it's not surprising that everyone's draft reviews are going to reflect their opinion on Allen. 

Guys who had Allen ranked high are giving us A+ grades.  Guys who had Allen ranked low are giving us D- and F grades.

• Like (+1) 6

The idiot didn't even like the Edmunds pick.

He can go jump off a bridge with his stupid evaluation.

4 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

As a prospect, Allen is one of the most polarizing Quarterbacks to come out of college in decades. 

Some people saw him as the #1 QB in the draft.  Others thought he should have been a Day 3 pick. 

So it's not surprising that everyone's draft reviews are going to reflect their opinion on Allen. 

Guys who had Allen ranked high are giving us A+ grades.  Guys who had Allen ranked low are giving us D- and F grades.

Exactly.

I'm not sure why people seem to not take this into account.

• Like (+1) 1

It won't be long and you will hear about how the Arizona Cardinals coveted Josh Allen and how they were pissed about missing out on him.  Sure they will tell their fans that Josh Rosen is the guy they coveted, but the guy they wanted was Josh Allen.  I have 0 problem with Beane using #12 and the two 2nd round picks because that is the reason he acquired those picks, so NO ONE, including the Arizona Cardinals, could match him.  He even had an extra 1st if he needed to change things up and offer a different combo.  Beane mastered this draft and got his franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 3

This is it...

These talking heads are just trying to defend their own rankings. Their job is less accurate than a meteorologists so they  constantly have to defend their opinions and deflect what they got wrong.

High graders are hoping Allen works out and they look smart, low graders hope he busts. Confirmation bias at it finest.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Magox said:

The word is that the Bills were in a trading war at 7 with the Cardinals and that they both coveted Allen.   Whether or not you personally like Allen is besides the point and you have to throw out the draft chart if you are going after your franchise QB, specially considering that they were trying to target him at 5.   If you are going after someone at 5 and trading 2 2nds would have been a deal at that slot but now all of a sudden you are still targeting the same guy at 7 but now all of a sudden it's not a good "value"?  That's stupid.

They "overpaid" because they were about to lose him to the Cards.  If you believe that you could be getting your franchise QB and you trade away 2 2nds to get him along with a 1st rounder, I would say that is not too much to give up.

Exactly.  the market sets the price, the chart is just a guideline to relative value.  It seems that a lot of these draft experts don't do a lot of dynamic or situational thinking.  Like how much is a glass of water worth to a thirsty man in the desert vs. somebody on the Titanic?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

I ageree, but that attitude is just absurd (but then so is grading drafts instantly). Frankly, I don't love the Allen pick, and if that was the only choice, or even the only first round choice, they made, I'd get giving them a C or lower; however, they also picked up the top linebacker in the draft, with a top ten grade from pretty much everyone, at 16, and a guy sometimes mocked in the 1st round at the end of the 3rd round. Ok, I get that it is "all about the QB," but by that logic, why grade anyone, because they should have taken a QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Magox said:

The word is that the Bills were in a trading war at 7 with the Cardinals and that they both coveted Allen.   Whether or not you personally like Allen is besides the point and you have to throw out the draft chart if you are going after your franchise QB, specially considering that they were trying to target him at 5.   If you are going after someone at 5 and trading 2 2nds would have been a deal at that slot but now all of a sudden you are still targeting the same guy at 7 but now all of a sudden it's not a good "value"?  That's stupid.

I pretty much predicted the crap storm that would ensue after this draft. Too many divergent opinions on who the QB ought to be.

Of course I love the hypocrisy over the picks that were traded to move up. All I heard going in was no price was too high for your franchise QB. "Trade every pick if you have to! No other position matters! What are you saving those picks for anyway?" It's hard to take anything seriously anymore.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I pretty much predicted the crap storm that would ensue after this draft. Too many divergent opinions on who the QB ought to be.

Of course I love the hypocrisy over the picks that were traded to move up. All I heard going in was no price was too high for your franchise QB. "Trade every pick if you have to! No other position matters! What are you saving those picks for anyway?" It's hard to take anything seriously anymore.

I dont think any of us that were in the "Trade up and get your guy!" camp would say we overpaid. Heck, I cant believe we managed to pull it off with only trading away 2 2nds!

I was personally leaning towards Rosen, just because he seems to be the most "pro-ready", but at the end of the day I just wanted a chance to get the guy we wanted and not whoever was left over.

End of the day, The Bills got a QB in the Top 10 with their 1st overall pick. That has never been said before, and IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!! Cant wait to see Allen and McCarron battle in camp. Go Bills!

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont think any of us that were in the "Trade up and get your guy!" camp would say we overpaid. Heck, I cant believe we managed to pull it off with only trading away 2 2nds!

I was personally leaning towards Rosen, just because he seems to be the most "pro-ready", but at the end of the day I just wanted a chance to get the guy we wanted and not whoever was left over.

End of the day, The Bills got a QB in the Top 10 with their 1st overall pick. That has never been said before, and IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!! Cant wait to see Allen and McCarron battle in camp. Go Bills!

My comments were directed at Jeremy White. The WGR morning weathervane.

Just now, Ifartalot said:

What Arizona gave up to  trade up for Rosen did make it look like the Bills overpaid for Allen.

To be fair at that point they had already lost the bidding war, so were likely able to negotiate down the price, with nobody else looking to trade up, which is what happened with the bills.  As much as it sucks to give so much value up for the move, I completely understand why they did it.

• Like (+1) 3

draft is over, it is what it is. anything reported, opinions (including my own) on this board can all be taken with a grain of salt.

the proof is in the pudding and we'll find out soon enough if they picked the right players or not. until then I could care less what some cat on rotoworld has to say.

• Like (+1) 2

Meanwhile, Mike Mayock has us taking 2 of his top 11 players (Allen and Edmunds).  If you leave a draft with two top 11 players, with picks 12 and 22 to start, you win.  

Also, Edmunds is a top 4 talent on many people's board.  Getting him at 16 was a steal, as was Phillips in the 3rd.  It's like we didn't need those 2nd rounders that we "overpaid" for.  

I've been a HUGE critic of drafting Allen.  By every metric he will be a top tier backup at best.  Hopefully those metrics are wrong, or AJ goes nuts this year, keeps Allen on the bench and we trade Allen in a year or 2 for a 1st and 2nd.  

Overall, I'd give us an A.  Esp. when you consider the UDFA haul we pulled in.  

• Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, Ifartalot said:

What Arizona gave up to  trade up for Rosen did make it look like the Bills overpaid for Allen.

Perhaps Rosen isn't worth nearly the assets as Allen?  Several have said that AZ also coveted Allen...

Good news, we gonna find out over the next few years! :beer:

24 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

The idiot didn't even like the Edmunds pick.

He can go jump off a bridge with his stupid evaluation.

Exactly.

I'm not sure why people seem to not take this into account.

not liking the Edmunds pick should disqualify anyone from ranking a draft EVER again.  He was a top 10 talent by almost any measure and by anyone who ranks prospects.  He is 20 freaking years old.  We could have found our Defensive QB for the next 15 years.  Think about that.  And then you have Phillips in front of him when KW and Star retire.  

Still lukewarm on the Allen pick.  But overall, another great draft.  Won't surprise me if we end up with 3 starters out of it (Edmunds, Wyatt, and Phillips--I think he beats out Star for starting in the rotation by the end of the year).  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Ifartalot said:

While both teams traded up 5 spots there's a big difference between 12-to-7 and 15-to-10.

• Like (+1) 2

Evan Silva is off his rocker. I used to think he was an informed football mind, but started to question him after listening to him on fantasy football podcasts. The guy went on a 15 minute rant last year about how the Cleveland browns franchise was ahead of the rest of the league with analytics and everyone conspired against them because the NFL is the "good ole boys" club and they don't want analytics to break their scouting model. He then raved about Cleveland's draft class from the previous two years and the browns went then went 0-16 on the season 

Give it a listen at the 51 minute mark

Edited by TallskiWallski83
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Ifartalot said:

That's the difference between two teams (Buf and Az) bidding for the same spot at 7, versus AZ trading up on their own.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Ifartalot said:

True but sure seems as if Gruden is in over his head in the personal department already. Arizona appears to have gotten one over on the raiders where as the bucs knew what they were doing 

Well he did give the Bills a C+ grade in 2017 and that draft produced 3 starters for the Bills... while giving the Pats** an A+ because they traded draft picks for Brandin Cooks(gone), Dwayne Allen(didn't catch a pass til November), Kony Ealy(waived), Mike Gillislee(benched) and Kyle Van Noy...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Magox said:

The word is that the Bills were in a bidding war at 7 with the Cardinals and that they both coveted Allen.   Whether or not you personally like Allen is besides the point and you have to throw out the draft chart if you are going after your franchise QB, specially considering that they were trying to target him at 5.   If you are going after someone at 5 and trading 2 2nds would have been a deal at that slot but now you are still targeting the same guy at 7 and now all of a sudden it's not a good "value"?  That's stupid.

There is not proof of a bidding war.  That is just Buffalo Bills mentality of filling in blanks to make things look ideal for GM/Coach/Team.

36 minutes ago, PIZ said:

It won't be long and you will hear about how the Arizona Cardinals coveted Josh Allen and how they were pissed about missing out on him.  Sure they will tell their fans that Josh Rosen is the guy they coveted, but the guy they wanted was Josh Allen.  I have 0 problem with Beane using #12 and the two 2nd round picks because that is the reason he acquired those picks, so NO ONE, including the Arizona Cardinals, could match him.  He even had an extra 1st if he needed to change things up and offer a different combo.  Beane mastered this draft and got his franchise QB.

There is no guarantee those #2s would pan out so I agree with the trade up.   Arizona wanting Allen is speculation only.   

As for mastered the draft I would not go there.  Maybe he did well in the 1st round (if you like Allen) but a backup NT in round 3 was a bad pick and Beane failed to see the pick of Clemson's #1 WR the pick before us when we took their #3 WR as well as the fact that the Lions picked a highly rated OT we needed one pick before us in the 5th round  were big time errors.  

It's a little ridiculous to grade draft hauls based on projections, and then say that the QB with the highest upside is the biggest miss of the top ten... Grades at this point are garbage, and (and I feel unbiased in saying this) the grades will always indicate that the bills did poorly because media refuses to acknowledge buffalo. 

18 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Meanwhile, Mike Mayock has us taking 2 of his top 11 players (Allen and Edmunds).  If you leave a draft with two top 11 players, with picks 12 and 22 to start, you win.  

Also, Edmunds is a top 4 talent on many people's board.  Getting him at 16 was a steal, as was Phillips in the 3rd.  It's like we didn't need those 2nd rounders that we "overpaid" for.  

I've been a HUGE critic of drafting Allen.  By every metric he will be a top tier backup at best.  Hopefully those metrics are wrong, or AJ goes nuts this year, keeps Allen on the bench and we trade Allen in a year or 2 for a 1st and 2nd.  

Overall, I'd give us an A.  Esp. when you consider the UDFA haul we pulled in.  

When you think that the majority of this board wanted the Bills to trade up to the #2 spot to draft Rosen while giving up six of their top picks and perhaps even the #1 in 2019.

The Bills got two of the best players in their class in this years draft, best QB, best linebacker. Beane killed it this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, buffalostu2 said:

There is not proof of a bidding war.  That is just Buffalo Bills mentality of filling in blanks to make things look ideal for GM/Coach/Team.

There is hardly ever "proof" of these sort of things but this is what Schefter and other insiders reported.

• Like (+1) 1

This guy is a clown who is grading teams based on how closely they did what HE thought they should do.  Look no further than his review of the Jets.  While he kills the bills for giving up 2 2nd round picks to move up 5 spots, the Jets get an "A-" for giving up 3 2nd round picks to move up 3 spots (and he specifically cites this trade as being great and a reason for the high trade).  The difference?  They got Sam Darnold and his flock of seagulls haircut, whom HE had decided was the number 1 QB in the draft.  

30 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The Bills got a QB in the Top 10 with their 1st overall pick

And then they preceded to get a complete draft haul. (+1)

I have no way of knowing if Allen will be a franchise QB, but the Bills office thought he would be, and they got him for so much less than teams like PHI, LA, and HOU have given for their guys here lately. 

We picked in every round except the second, but our two first round picks make up for that. We got a great QB prospect, and a great linebacker prospect. We also filled in positions of need and essentially solidified our defensive backfield (which is probably one of the most important position groups). I honestly believe that anyone who sees this draft short of an A is biased against Allen and is pushing their narrative. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

LOL I love people saying we overpaid or gave away picks for Allen/Edmunds. The Bills made EIGHT picks this draft, got the guy they wanted plus some, and still have all of their picks next draft. 

Never heard of the guy before...sounds like an idiot. 

• Like (+1) 2

If one of Allen and Edmunds hits, Phillips takes over the mantle from Kyle and one or two of the day 3 picks sticks, it's a successful draft.

If BOTH Allen & Edmunds hits it's an all time draft that sets up the McBeane regime for years to come.

Looking at draft value charts and saying we overpaid for #7 is simply ignoring reality and shows a lack of understanding of economic principles.  It's pretty established Arizona was competing for the pick too.  One could assume their offer started with #15 / #47.  They traded pick #79.  So basically to beat 15 / 47 / 79 you had to put up 12 / 53 and one of 56-65.  Considering both picks were traded it doesn't really matter.

To pound the table and say one of these 4 QBs is going to hit and one is going to bust for sure is ignorant.  To do it without a hint of actual NFL personnel experience is just stupid.  Some people loved our draft, some people hated it, some people will be right, some will be wrong.  Given his history, it does seem Silva has an ax to grind against the organization. 

• Like (+1) 3