What I Don't Understand About Fan Reaction to Allen

1 minute ago, Dr. K said:

And he can't hit the broad side of a barn.

The one thing I would think we would have figured out over the last twenty seasons of QB play in Buffalo, given Losman, Fitz, EJ, Tyrod, etc., is that ACCURACY is vastly more important to successful QB play than arm strength or height or escapability. The Bills drafted the one QB of those touted for the first round who has the most trouble with accuracy. 

If he is successful, I will come here and say I was wrong.  

For the love of god stop making idiotic comments about this young man. Nobody can properly evaluate an NFL career from watching only two seasons of college tape. 

The kid improved from the end of the college season to the Senior Bowl where the level of competition was equal to his level. To the combine and his pro day as he had the scouts in awe with his passing. 

Watch him yourself and listen to what the top scouts are saying. There were real reasons why this FO passed on Rosen over Allen. 

28 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The comparisons to EJ are pretty comical.........EJ could only dream of having arm talent like Allen.

not trying to fan any flames here, and I’m willing to give the kid a shot...  but the EJ comparison is valid, because: 

(1) Nix said almost verbatim about EJ what Beane said about Allen “all the prospects had issues, and we think his are easiest to fix”  EJs issue was inaccuracy and that regime thought they could fix that. This is the identical, except the short game touch pass accuracy is significantly worse with Allen at this point in their careers. 

Further more: 

(1) the inaccuracy belief is based on analysis of his play, not his stats from all those weighing in- they just reference completion as a top line stat to explain- But there is significant correlation with few outliers that college completion % will exceed NFL completion %?

(2) innacuraurate QBs have consistently been coaching and GM career killers.  

So now we are betting on Allen being a statistical anomaly, and a front office with the audacity to belive they can fix what many experts say can’t be fixed. 

I get where folks are disappointed 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thurmal34 said:

There are no actual results to back up the guy’s “arm” or “talent” or “athleticism”. Where’s the evidence? Where’s the proof?

EJ 2.0.

Beane got seduced and it will set the Bills back until 2021 at the earliest.

Even as a long-time disliker of Josh Allen's game, the athleticism isn't mythical. He's not a blazing runner but he's incredibly well balanced and agile.

23 minutes ago, Rosen-not-Chosen said:

Then you have to seriously question their talent evaluation process, as well as question Pegula's leadership skills as the owner.  Pegula has done nothing but whiff on hiring of coaches & GM's since he bought the Buffalo teams.  This pick is likely an epic fail in terms of this franchise's history.

My God you are depressing.

So hiring a coach who, in his first year, took the Bills to the playoffs and ended an 18 year drought was a whiff?

Oh and then the GM who was able to flip Tyrods entire salary and bonus, and did the same with Glenn. Oh yeah...big swing and a miss there

And in terms of the Allen pick being an epic fail in the franchise history, you need to calm down and breathe. 

You are clearly bitter the Bills didn't draft Rosen. I wanted Rosen too but you don't see me creating a new profile and in every single post, rip our team for picking the wrong guy and essentially saying the sky is falling and we are all doomed.

You have every right to hate this pick but maybe you should mix in some other content in your posts instead of just going on an anti-Allen crusade 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, greeneblitz said:

As usual at draft time it becomes political, if you like a guy you must therefore must destroy every other possible adversary, can't believe that it's a bunch of actual grown men and women that act this way. Now with social media people get so tied up debating they think they're part of the actual process lol, like mad at the GM for not listening to their hour or two of youtube and WGR "draft research"

...and you are????? I think we should go with the whole room of professional scouts that do this for a living.

Are all the people that work in your profession highly skilled and excellent at their profession beyond rebuke? I know the ones that occupy my space aren't.

5 hours ago, greeneblitz said:

As usual at draft time it becomes political, if you like a guy you must therefore must destroy every other possible adversary, can't believe that it's a bunch of actual grown men and women that act this way. Now with social media people get so tied up debating they think they're part of the actual process lol, like mad at the GM for not listening to their hour or two of youtube and WGR "draft research"

...and you are????? I think we should go with the whole room of professional scouts that do this for a living.

It has nothing to do with politics it has to do with him being a terrible Qb. I would have been fine with just about any other qb selected in the draft. I don’t get why people don’t understand that people have very legit reasons to dislike Allen. 

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Orlovsky laid it out: Allen's weakness is he needs to learn to play QB

So there you have it, Bill: the Bills traded up for the #7 overall pick and used it on a guy who Dan Orlovsky tags as needing to learn to play QB

Question for anyone:  Orlovsky said that Daboll should employ spread offense concepts to help Allen out.  But I thought Allen did not play in a spread offense?

Correct was pro style under center. My guess is not having to drop can allow you to better focus on your footwork, but I just made that up. 

if he can learn to be accurate, he should be able to fire the ball in there with that arm and have success even if he never learns to throw with anticipation. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

6 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I have been on this wonderful board for many, many years. Now, I am reading these posts that are absolutely hating the Allen pick and it is hard to understand why. Almost every season, I was on this board blasting yet another idiotic first round pick by the Bills. For instance:  A #8 (in a stacked draft) on an undersized Donte Whitner? How about a 1st on a half dead Willis McGahee? In 2008 we had a very poor OL. It was awful. We drafted Leotis McKelvin, passing up both Ryan Clady and Branden Albert.

I could go on and on but my point is that fans were generally supportive of these clearly stupid picks. Now, we finally use resources on a big, strong quarterback and most people seem to hate the kid. Why? Because he said stupid things when he was a toddler? Because he went to a small school?

After what seemed like forever, we took a chance on solidifying the most important position on the field. We moved up to make sure we landed a qb with a cannon arm. What is SO freaking bad?

I for one am glad that we did something smart (for a change) in round 1, and welcome this young man to Buffalo.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16 yrs old is hardly a toddler....the reason people are mad is because 80% of Bills fans wanted either Darnold,  Mayfield or Rosen. The late tweet stuff just was the cherry on the cake. We'll see???

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, T-Bomb said:

And fans like you are simply useless tbh...

No matter what dumbass FO this organization hires, you just sit there with your thumb up your ass, drinking the KoolAid, assuming the FO can do no wrong, because they are "your Bills".  Whatever colossal draft mistake they make, you'll support it in lemming-like fashion,  It's pathetic.

Loser fans deserve a loser franchise I guess...

Hi T-Bomb. So turns out your big theory about our trade up was just a bunch of hot air. 

This was no reach.  In a draft with alot of elite talent at Qb Allen was considered by some as the best.  Everyone who hates him as a prospect see the potential in him and admit he has the highest ceiling.   Buffalo did not reach for a player.  Buffalo did not over spend for player last night.  Allen is the most talented Qb buffalo has had in 20 years plus.  Allen may already have the best arm in the NFL at 21.  He is a late bloomer.  Wanted to play football in college.  0 Division 1 offers.  Went JR college.  Still wanted to play division 1.  Went to the worst college in the country because it was his only offer.  After his first game there was buzz about this kid out of nowhere in Wyoming.  If he declared last year he would have been a top 10 pick.  Embrace the ride.  If Allen gets to even half of his potential Buffalo has a hell of a QB for many years.  

I have been on this wonderful board for many, many years. Now, I am reading these posts that are absolutely hating the Allen pick and it is hard to understand why. Almost every season, I was on this board blasting yet another idiotic first round pick by the Bills. For instance:  A #8 (in a stacked draft) on an undersized Donte Whitner? How about a 1st on a half dead Willis McGahee? In 2008 we had a very poor OL. It was awful. We drafted Leotis McKelvin, passing up both Ryan Clady and Branden Albert.

I could go on and on but my point is that fans were generally supportive of these clearly stupid picks. Now, we finally use resources on a big, strong quarterback and most people seem to hate the kid. Why? Because he said stupid things when he was a toddler? Because he went to a small school?

After what seemed like forever, we took a chance on solidifying the most important position on the field. We moved up to make sure we landed a qb with a cannon arm. What is SO freaking bad?

I for one am glad that we did something smart (for a change) in round 1, and welcome this young man to Buffalo.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its not the choice of allen that gets me. Its what was given up to get him. As far as we know, all of these QBs could be complete busts - goes for any player. The draft is a crapshoot of probablity and always has been. The issue with this pick was that we gave up both 2nd rd picks to move up 5 spots. Rebuilding key positional needs for the future was put off for moving up 5 spots for a guy that may have very well fallen all the way to 12. Look at Rosen. No player is worth three picks in the top 50, four if we kept 22 and didnt give up the 3rd. But hey, nothing we can change at this point. Just hate seeing all these picks go when we could rebuild our defense, or WR corps and OL. Which we desperately need and now cant do.

5 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

He's a fine prospect. But I'm tired of our franchise QB struggling to process information. This goes back to Rob Johnson. Johnson, Losman, Manuel, and Allen are all the same QB. Strong arm, athletic QB's that don't process the game fast enough. The accuracy isn't even my concern. 

Yep, and we just did it again. What could go wrong?

5 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

Because we are becoming very polarized and will hate every top pick.   This GM and coach seem to be making moves that they think will make this team better.  I am ok with it since they made good picks last year and played well above the talent level.   But the “fans” will find every reason they can to hate the pick things like the owner liked the guy, he made some stupid tweets (yet they love the ones from the idiot in White House) etc etc etc.   as I predicted in. A thread I started months ago This would happen

You know Beane wasn't the GM last year right?

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Is it because of his arm strength, and the fact he can throw an 80-yard bomb? 

Arm strength is NOT just about 80 yard bombs. It's about beating defenders on tight window throws. If you're gonna get excited about Josh Allen that's why. He has a howitzer arm and very little football training in life. If we can help him put the rest of it together he will be great but it's a project.

Apparently your "many years" don't include the JP Losman and EJ Manuel eras.

36 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

not trying to fan any flames here, and I’m willing to give the kid a shot...  but the EJ comparison is valid, because: 

(1) Nix said almost verbatim about EJ what Beane said about Allen “all the prospects had issues, and we think his are easiest to fix”  EJs issue was inaccuracy and that regime thought they could fix that. This is the identical, except the short game touch pass accuracy is significantly worse with Allen at this point in their careers. 

Further more: 

(1) the inaccuracy belief is based on analysis of his play, not his stats from all those weighing in- they just reference completion as a top line stat to explain- But there is significant correlation with few outliers that college completion % will exceed NFL completion %?

So now we are betting on Allen being a statistical anomaly, and a front office with the audacity to belive they can fix what many experts say can’t be fixed. 

My assessment of EJ coming out was that he was a very long term project.........like the 5 year kind.

WRT muscle memory he was an incredibly SLOW learner.........he started for 4 years at FSU and progress with regard to footwork was very incremental.     He was all arms and legs.    He had to abbreviate his throwing motion to try to control the ball better and repeating footwork was difficult with long gangly legs.    His deep throws in particular often resembled shanked punts.     

Allen is a MUCH more coordinated athlete.........his throwing motion is natural.........this dude is really impressive on the hoof and he's had far less time at it than EJ.........who believe it or not was a very elite QB prospect in HS who got a ton of instruction at major camps etc..

• Like (+1) 2

Because there is not a single stat or game that says he will be a good NFL QB.  Maybe he will be the first in the history of the league that can overcome that. 

3 hours ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

Accuracy issues in college are a tricky statistic.   The final measurable is the result of numerous variables.    Wrong reads, wrong routes etc.   Bottom line is, everything can go right and the WR can still drop the ball.   It's entirely possible that Allen isn't the most accurate passer in the draft.   It's also entirely possible that the rest of the players around him are downright awful.

As to your point, watch what Dilfer says about this: 

56 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Further more: 

This isn't really true at all. He was actually quite accurate in college (68.0% in his senior year; 66.9% overall). The knock was that he was a slow processor and only used one side of the field. Moreover, he was hard to assess because he played on a team absolutely loaded with future NFL players, and someone was ALWAYS open. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

I have...and Dilfer is very inarticulate about what "accuracy" is.   

How do we measure it?  How do we compare players on it?   He can't tell you, other that to say "I think it's important."

Well, who doesn't?   But how do you evaluate one player vs. another on a metric / stat that doesn't exist, Trent?   

Just now, Lurker said:

How do we measure it?  How do we compare players on it?   He can't tell you, other that to say "I think it's important."

Well, who doesn't?   But how do you evaluate one player vs. another on a metric / stat that doesn't exist, Trent?   

I thought he was clear in that he said it's about throwing to a spot. Sometimes the receiver doesn't get there because he sucks or runs the wrong route; sometimes he drops it; sometimes he's well covered because he's not strong/fast enough. 

I've reached the conclusion that the playoff drought turned the fanbase into a group of miserable cunts.  People were bitching about making the playoffs last year ffs.  No matter who was picked in the draft, people were destined to come here and complain.  Also, "fans" here would rather be right in their harsh judgements, than be wrong, even if it means the team benefits.  They have a lot energy invested in their negative emotions.  Can't let that go to waste.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I thought he was clear in that he said it's about throwing to a spot. Sometimes the receiver doesn't get there because he sucks or runs the wrong route; sometimes he drops it; sometimes he's well covered because he's not strong/fast enough. 

Yes. I get that and agree with you.   But how many times out of 10 did Allen "hit the spot?"    And did he hit it more frequently than anyone else?   Who knows?   Trent, you, me, the rest of the world?   

None of us know, since it's not a stat that's maintained.  It's a concept that only could be obtained by watching every single throw and cross-referencing it with the play called, the players on the field, the weather, the position of the moon...

But completion percentage has a long and deep history and is highly correlated with NFL success.  And it's been broken down eight ways to Sunday in ways that show Allen to be very low relative to good NFL QBs.   That's as objective as we can get...

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

My assessment of EJ coming out was that he was a very long term project.........like the 5 year kind.

WRT muscle memory he was an incredibly SLOW learner.........he started for 4 years at FSU and progress with regard to footwork was very incremental.     He was all arms and legs.    He had to abbreviate his throwing motion to try to control the ball better and repeating footwork was difficult with long gangly legs.    His deep throws in particular often resembled shanked punts.     

Allen is a MUCH more coordinated athlete.........his throwing motion is natural.........this dude is really impressive on the hoof and he's had far less time at it than EJ.........who believe it or not was a very elite QB prospect in HS who got a ton of instruction at major camps etc..

Sure- the technical details of deficiencies are surely different. Or at least I hope!! 

But the whole raw clay to mold is something we’ve heard before, too many effing times. So I get the folks jumping off cliffs. 

Im in the hopeful camp.  I thought Beane played the draft perfectly to get the guy I thought was the best qb in the draft without betting the farm, then was utterly deflated, although I had a belief they were for Darnold, Rudolph and maybe Allen but not Mayfield or Rosen because of some non football things. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yes. I get that and agree with you.   But how many times out of 10 did Allen "hit the spot?"    And did he hit it more frequently than anyone else?   Who knows?   Trent, you, me, the rest of the world?   

None of us know, since it's not a stat that's maintained.  It's a concept that only could be obtained by watching every single throw and cross-referencing it with the play called, the players on the field, the weather, the position of the moon...

But completion percentage has a long and deep history and is highly correlated with NFL success.  And it's been broken down eight ways to Sunday in ways that show Allen to be very low relative to good NFL QBs.   That's as objective as we can get...

I agree, and don't think I'm not worried. But the players around you do matter. Wyoming had terrible talent this year. EJ Manuel, who is not accurate, was a career 67 percent passer at FSU (with a high ypa) because passing to an offense filled with future NFL players meant that someone was ALWAYS open. It's hard to judge, basically. That said, the completion pct stat has historically been a pretty good heuristic for predicting future success. There are always outliers, though, and let's hope he's one of them. I don't it's going too far to say that as a package - size/arm strength/athleticism/tested intelligence - he's arguably the most impressive QB specimen to come along this century. I realize that this is no guarantee that he'll be any good, but the oddness of his case makes me willing to defer judgment. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

This isn't really true at all. He was actually quite accurate in college (68.0% in his senior year; 66.9% overall). The knock was that he was a slow processor and only used one side of the field. Moreover, he was hard to assess because he played on a team absolutely loaded with future NFL players, and someone was ALWAYS open. 

His “NFL issue” was inaccuracy.  I should have been specific. 

But you do realize you are contradicting the view that comp % does not necessarily relate to accuracy, which you seemed to affirm just now... ?

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I agree, and don't think I'm not worried. But the players around you do matter. Wyoming had terrible talent this year. EJ Manuel, who is not accurate, was a career 67 percent passer at FSU (with a high ypa) because passing to an offense filled with future NFL players meant that someone was ALWAYS open. It's hard to judge, basically. That said, the completion pct stat has historically been a pretty good heuristic for predicting future success. There are always outliers, though, and let's hope he's one of them. I don't it's going too far to say that as a package - size/arm strength/athleticism/tested intelligence - he's arguably the most impressive specimen to come along this century. I realize that this is no guarantee that he'll be any good, but the oddness of him makes me willing to defer judgment. 

Agree on all points.

Frankly, I'm still going through the "five stages of Bills fan grief" on this and haven't reached acceptance yet.    You only get these re-set opportunities every 4-5 years and I'm bummed that we're likely headed for another full lunatic cycle once again.   

Thanks for the civil discussion.   I'll slowly start to come down this afternoon...

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

His “NFL issue” was inaccuracy.  I should have been specific. 

But you do realize you are contradicting the view that comp % does not necessarily relate to accuracy, which you seemed to affirm just now... ?

No, I'm not. I'm referring specifically to the stated knocks on him coming out of college. His accuracy issues were mentioned ('area code accuracy'), but they weren't regarded as his his biggest weaknesses. 

Interestingly, though, EJ was measured at 6'5", 237 lbs, and a 10 3/8" handsize. Allen is 6'5", 237 lbs, and has a 10 1/8" hand size. Pretty eerie.

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Agree on all points.

Frankly, I'm still going through the "five stages of Bills fan grief" on this and haven't reached acceptance yet.    You only get these re-set opportunities every 4-5 years and I'm bummed that we're likely headed for another full lunatic cycle once again.   

Thanks for the civil discussion.   I'll slowly start to come down this afternoon...

Been there and done that! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kübler-Ross_model

I bargained at 11 pm, went to bed depressed, and am now at the acceptance stage.

Edited by dave mcbride

49 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Apparently your "many years" don't include the JP Losman and EJ Manuel eras.

Neither were considered as highly of as Allen.  They just were not.  

Edited by Mat68

7 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I’ve watched him play and don’t think he’s any good. 

I'm pretty sure the Bills watched him more than you did.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The comparisons to EJ are pretty comical.........EJ could only dream of having arm talent like Allen.

The Bills did not love EJ as much as they do Allen.  For EJ they traded down because they knew nobody wanted him.  For Allen they felt they needed to trade up.

11 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Neither were considered as highly of as Allen.  They just were not.  

..it's an interesting read to go back and check out the pundits' pre-draft assessments of Losman......."the heir apparent gunslinger going to the Pack at 23"......no relevance to Allen but rather highlighting the "experts' evaluations (COUGH)" of draft candidates...........

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Ej Manuel was good in the Senior Bowl too.  

Run it back ! 

EJ failed in Buffalo mostly because of the clowns who were coaching him decided not to hire a QB coach or even have a veteran QB on the roster. The only guy EJ had to learn from was Nathanial Hackett who had never been an NFL offensive coordinator previously.

Want a sure fire way to ruin any QB prospect? Don't hire a QB coach. Don't have a veteran NFL QB on the roster and instead have three rookies all trying to figure stuff out on their own. Then have the guy teaching them with no NFL experience in his job teaching this three rookie QBs the NFL ropes.

What an unholy clusterfluck of stupidity by Bills head coach Saint Doug Marrone. EJ never had a fair chance to develop under Marrone.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I’m not a fan of great big Jethro QBs with great big guns for an arm. I hope he ends up being more like Big Ben then Bledsoe. At least he’s not a statue.

Ryan Mallett comes to mind when I hear "great big Jethro QB" (great term!). Allen is by all accounts a good, mobile athlete, though: 4.75 40, which is REALLY good for someone that size. Mallett was 5.37!

Edited by dave mcbride

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Sure but EJ's career wouldn't have been saved if he had had a stronger arm. That's the problem with picking Allen. A strong arm isn't enough. We just have to hope he develops.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Arm strength is NOT just about 80 yard bombs. It's about beating defenders on tight window throws. If you're gonna get excited about Josh Allen that's why. He has a howitzer arm and very little football training in life. If we can help him put the rest of it together he will be great but it's a project.

Arm strength is about 80 yard bombs. Arm TALENT is about touch and accuracy.

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

About explaining accuracy, maybe Dilfer should just play some tape on Rosen.