What I Don't Understand About Fan Reaction to Allen

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

Browns and Jets took Mayfield and Darnold.

Rosen was the most NFL ready.

They felt the others had higher ceilings, or less injury risk, with the second being the most likely.

Broncos too Chubb because he's a beast and they look to be committed to rolling the dice with keenum.

My statement was in reference to our pick vs Rosen.

No the dolphins couldn't have "easily secured" Rosen.

Did they have two seconds to give up to beat our offer?

Did they match Arizona's offer to Oakland?

Saying they passed on Rosen when he was taken before them is just flat out wrong.

More than likely they thought he would fall one more spot and Arizona jumped them.

And for what it's worth Steve Keim??? He is pretty shrewd. 

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

Browns and Jets took Mayfield and Darnold.

Rosen was the most NFL ready.

They felt the others had higher ceilings, or less injury risk, with the second being the most likely.

Broncos too Chubb because he's a beast and they look to be committed to rolling the dice with keenum.

My statement was in reference to our pick vs Rosen.

No the dolphins couldn't have "easily secured" Rosen.

Did they have two seconds to give up to beat our offer?

Did they match Arizona's offer to Oakland?

Saying they passed on Rosen when he was taken before them is just flat out wrong.

More than likely they thought he would fall one more spot and Arizona jumped them.

Again, all the teams I mentioned passed on him.  And the Dolphins clearly didn't like him enough to secure him.  If a GM thinks there is a franchise qb to be had and they just sit and wait hoping he falls to your pick then it means one of three things

A) you didn't have the draft capital to get him, which clearly wasn't the case here.

B) the GM is incompetent for deploying hope as a strategy to get their franchise QB

C) they didn't believe in him enough to secure him.  Which is the most likely scenario

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T-Bomb said:

And fans like you are simply useless tbh...

No matter what dumbass FO this organization hires, you just sit there with your thumb up your ass, drinking the KoolAid, assuming the FO can do no wrong, because they are "your Bills".  Whatever colossal draft mistake they make, you'll support it in lemming-like fashion,  It's pathetic.

Loser fans deserve a loser franchise I guess...

Are you going to go thread to thread and ruin every topic just so you can make sure everyone on the site knows you're unhappy with the Allen pick?

It's users like you who used to get the permaban in quick order.  You bring absolutely nothing of value to this site.  I hope a purge is coming soon.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

No.  Because he averaged 164 yards per game with a 56% completion percentage in the Mountain West Conference.

In 2016 with a better team around him he averaged 228.7 yards a game and he could have entered the draft at the end of that year. Instead, he stayed at the school he knew he was going to have great troubles with.

In 2017 every player that had touched the ball at Wyoming in 2016 was no longer with the team. This kid was forced to play with a complete noob team in running for his life every other play and his receiver corps had to learn as they went. His O line was bad as were his RBs, wideouts. Not much of a run game so this kid was forced to do it mostly by himself. Those receivers got very little separation and didn't run routes very well besides dropping a lot of passes. Allen would zip a fastball into a receivers hands in the end zone only to see them drop it. 

If that wasn't bad enough Allen played in a pro-style deep passing scheme that wasn't QB friendly like it was for Baker Mayfield* and Rosen with 4x as many screens and outs that made their stats look so much better. 

Josh Allen only played two years in college had has room to further develop as so many college QB's improve their completion percentage over a four-year career. Allen is a winner who had back to back 8 win seasons and won his last bowl game with a team of scrubs around him. 

https://clutchpoints.com/nfl-draft-news-josh-allen-thinks-inaccuracy-talk-blown-proportion/

On another note. Whoever released those old tweets from Allen when he was 15 years old did the Buffalo Bills a huge favor as the kid dropped far enough so the Bills could move up to get him!

Think of it as almost every Bills fan in this forum wanted the Bills to trade up to the #2 spot for (Mr. Glass), Josh Rosen by giving up two #1s, two #2s, two #3s and some even wanted the Bills to give up three first rounders for him. 

The Bills got two blue-chip players in the first round in 2018 and has someone else so aptly put it...they should be crapping glitter! 

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bill—the Internet allows the small scared person to fee big and criticize people who *do,* and not just criticize, but do it in a way that makes them look ugly. 

The Bills fan base held out a long time not turning into the rest of the fan bases, with a higher level of optimism, collegiality, and respect. 

I hope the fans will come around. Not on Allen, but just as people. As the last to give in, I believe they can be the first to recover. But it will take time. 

I share all the concerns about Allen. But it’s not like they drafted Ray Allen or Alan Alda. They picked a consensus top ten pick. Hard working. Smart. Beloved teammate. I like the upside. If it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work. Someone gets paid to make that decision. My family and life won’t be affected by a bad pick except for Sunday afternoons in the fall!

1 hour ago, T-Bomb said:

No matter what dumbass FO this organization hires, you just sit there with your thumb up your ass, drinking the KoolAid, assuming the FO can do no wrong, because they are "your Bills".  Whatever colossal draft mistake they make, you'll support it in lemming-like fashion,  It's pathetic.

This guy is a case study. He’s probably better than this and can be a better person starting right now!

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Opinions run the spectrum here and the only thing that will resolve the debate is going to be actual playing time under center in NFL game situations.  We may or may not see a lot of that with Allen this year.  But if Bills fans are upset at the pick what about Browns and Jets?  Their GM's also passed on the "most NFL ready QB" at picks 1 and 3.  All three front offices and coaching staffs put in countless hours of effort checking these guys inside-out.  So what do fans see that 3 teams of professionals do not? 

Personally I would have taken Rosen too but my knowledge is limited to him passing the eye test.  I watched a couple UCLA games and saw some highlight films.  Never spoke to him, or his coaches, or anyone with direct knowledge about the guy.  

Rosen is the most NFL ready.

Every scout agrees on that from what I've seen, go research it.

Darnold is expected to sit a year most likely, and most half a year.

Mayfield has very real education incoming to learn pro offenses, and his front office also just drafted a cb @#4 who wasn't even the top rated cb by most, when they could have snagged him a couple picks later. The browns front office is not a good barometer of what was done being correct.

Rosen has a very real and risky injury history, between his shoulder and his concussions, taking a guy that high who's been hurt as often as him reeks of Bradford, so I'm not terribly upset they passed on him, but I'm not terribly happy about it either, since Allen is risky too in regards to development. They swung for the fences, and every draft guy had him as the highest bust chance.

His busy potential was why I called it "billsy", and I used it to illustrate my joking point regarding previous regime ineptitudes.

This is a new front office, so I'm willing to give them a shot.

I would have thought that all fans are tired of hearing yeah he's got some accuracy issues, but we can fix that.

If you're inaccurate in college and are now facing bigger, faster, and smarter players, things will get better.

Now we know this regime has zero belief in analytics. They FEEL that things will be okay.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I have been on this wonderful board for many, many years. Now, I am reading these posts that are absolutely hating the Allen pick and it is hard to understand why. Almost every season, I was on this board blasting yet another idiotic first round pick by the Bills. For instance:  A #8 (in a stacked draft) on an undersized Donte Whitner? How about a 1st on a half dead Willis McGahee? In 2008 we had a very poor OL. It was awful. We drafted Leotis McKelvin, passing up both Ryan Clady and Branden Albert.

I could go on and on but my point is that fans were generally supportive of these clearly stupid picks. Now, we finally use resources on a big, strong quarterback and most people seem to hate the kid. Why? Because he said stupid things when he was a toddler? Because he went to a small school?

After what seemed like forever, we took a chance on solidifying the most important position on the field. We moved up to make sure we landed a qb with a cannon arm. What is SO freaking bad?

I for one am glad that we did something smart (for a change) in round 1, and welcome this young man to Buffalo.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two things: he has never been good at any level and he knew what he was saying in those tweets. Don't make excuses for him, he will have to prove himself. Until he does, this was a terrible pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

In 2016 with a better team around him he averaged 228.7 yards a game and he could have entered the draft at the end of that year. Instead, he stayed at the school he knew he was going to have great troubles with.

In 2017 every player that had touched the ball at Wyoming in 2016 was no longer with the team. This kid was forced to play with a complete noob team in running for his life every other play and his receiver corps had to learn as they went. His O line was bad as were his RBs, wideouts. Not much of a run game so this kid was forced to do it mostly by himself. Those receivers got very little separation and didn't run routes very well besides dropping a lot of passes. Allen would zip a fastball into a receivers hands in the end zone only to see them drop it. 

If that wasn't bad enough Allen played in a pro-style deep passing scheme that wasn't QB friendly like it was for Wakefield and Rosen with 4x as many screens and outs that made their stats look so much better. 

Josh Allen only played two years in college had has room to further develop as so many college QB's improve their completion percentage over a four-year career. Allen is a winner who had back to back 8 win seasons and won his last bowl game with a team of scrubs around him. 

https://clutchpoints.com/nfl-draft-news-josh-allen-thinks-inaccuracy-talk-blown-proportion/

On another note. Whoever released those old tweets from Allen when he was 15 years old did the Buffalo Bills a huge favor as the kid dropped far enough so the Bills could move up to get him!

Think of it as almost every Bills fan in this forum wanted the Bills to trade up to the #2 spot for (Mr. Glass), Josh Rosen by giving up two #1s, two #2s, two #3s and some even wanted the Bills to give up three first rounders for him. 

The Bills got two blue-chip players in the first round in 2018 and has someone else so aptly put it...they should be crapping glitter! 

Oh wow 228.7 yards per game, in the illustrious Mountain West Conference! Well I guess that swings it then. 

The Bills took a project QB with major accuracy and processing problems. Those are two traits in QBs that very often improve marginally, if at all. Look through scouting report after scouting report and you see the same things. Accuracy issues. Sloppy footwork. Inconsistent mechanics. Lack of anticipatory throws.

He has some traits that are reminiscent of Big Ben or Stafford, such as the ability to bounce off contact and not take a sack, but doesn't read a defense like they do. His most common comparisons are a ceiling of Jay Cutler and a floor of Kyle Boller. Knowing what you know about Cutler's career, would you spend the #7 pick and two #2s on him? I sure as hell wouldn't. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wish people wouldn't respond to others' thoughts on these subjects with versions of "so, you think you know more than pro scouts and coaches?"

C'mon, we all know that none of us are pros. This is just a fan forum and folks like to give their thoughts on Bills-related issues the same way we do over beers with friends. We don't have to be pro scouts to have some fun.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jkirchofer said:

Two things: he has never been good at any level and he knew what he was saying in those tweets. Don't make excuses for him, he will have to prove himself. Until he does, this was a terrible pick. 

Wrong. He was a kid reciting rap songs and jokes. If you are still stuck on a 15 year olds tweets that’s on you and not on him.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And for what it's worth Steve Keim??? He is pretty shrewd. 

Yes he is.

Word was they wanted Allen so that's why we paid up to secure him.

5 minutes ago, Magox said:

Again, all the teams I mentioned passed on him.  And the Dolphins clearly didn't like him enough to secure him.  If a GM thinks there is a franchise qb to be had and they just sit and wait hoping he falls to your pick then it means one of three things

A) you didn't have the draft capital to get him, which clearly wasn't the case here.

B) the GM is incompetent for deploying hope as a strategy to get their franchise QB

C) they didn't believe in him enough to secure him.  Which is the most likely scenario

Again, go read what you quoted of mine.

I clearly explained why the Jets and browns passed on him, as well as my statement about it being him vs Allen for us being my point at our spot.

Rosen was the most NFL ready, but has a huge injury question mark.

The dolphins front office has been inept for a long time, so B is the most likely scenario for them.

They more than likely freely he would drop one more spot, or they were balling the other teams.

The issue is RISK.

Is this an organization that can afford to take a big risk at the QB position?

I say it isn’t.  Safer options were available, like trading likely fewer assets for the guy who just won the Super Bowl, or drafting the guy whose stats actually project a safer path to success (Rosen).

Or hedging that big risk by holding onto your current starter for one more year while your risky developmental pick learns.

Beane took a big risk and I think it’s not the right strategy for a franchise that hasn’t had a pro passing game since the early 1990’s.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Commonsense said:

Wrong. He was a kid reciting rap songs and jokes. If you are still stuck on a 15 year olds tweets that’s on you and not on him.

All I am saying is if you continue to make excuses for him he will never understand why it was wrong and he will never grow. 

4 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Lyrics or not anyone with a functioning brain in their head at 15 years old knows you don't use certain words.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The issue is RISK.

I say it isn’t.  Safer options were available, like trading likely fewer assets for the guy who just won the Super Bowl, or drafting the guy whose stats actually project a safer path to success (Rosen).

Or hedging that big risk by holding onto your current starter for one more year while your risky developmental pick learns.

Beane took a big risk and I think it’s not the right strategy for a franchise that hasn’t had a pro passing game since the early 1990’s.

I'd agree with that but a lot of experts were saying Rosen was sliding for a reason. Is that not a risk as well?

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The issue is RISK.

If they had come out of this draft without drafting a QB you would have been first in line blasting them for that.

8 minutes ago, Greywolf said:

I wish people wouldn't respond to others' thoughts on these subjects with versions of "so, you think you know more than pro scouts and coaches?"

C'mon, we all know that none of us are pros. This is just a fan forum and folks like to give their thoughts on Bills-related issues the same way we do over beers with friends. We don't have to be pro scouts to have some fun.

The overwhelming majority knows more than pro scouts and coaches. Always has.

I could go on and on but my point is that fans were generally supportive of these clearly stupid picks. Now, we finally use resources on a big, strong quarterback and most people seem to hate the kid. Why? Because he said stupid things when he was a toddler? Because he went to a small school?

After what seemed like forever, we took a chance on solidifying the most important position on the field. We moved up to make sure we landed a qb with a cannon arm. What is SO freaking bad?

I for one am glad that we did something smart (for a change) in round 1, and welcome this young man to Buffalo.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It wasn't smart. It was the dumbest move imaginable.

You may be too young to remember Ben Roethlisberger in college. He also played in a non-power conference. He absolutely dominated. Annihilated his competition. Led Miami of Ohio to a Top 15 national ranking. That's who Allen should have been if he was worthy of a Top 10 pick. But Allen wasn't even close to that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Oh wow 228.7 yards per game, in the illustrious Mountain West Conference! Well I guess that swings it then. 

The Bills took a project QB with major accuracy and processing problems. Those are two traits in QBs that very often improve marginally, if at all. Look through scouting report after scouting report and you see the same things. Accuracy issues. Sloppy footwork. Inconsistent mechanics. Lack of anticipatory throws.

He has some traits that are reminiscent of Big Ben or Stafford, such as the ability to bounce off contact and not take a sack, but doesn't read a defense like they do. His most common comparisons are a ceiling of Jay Cutler and a floor of Kyle Boller. Knowing what you know about Cutler's career, would you spend the #7 pick and two #2s on him? I sure as hell wouldn't. 

Read what Jordan Palmer has to say about this young man.

4 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Read what Jordan Palmer has to say about this young man.

No offense, but Palmer is being paid by Allen as his 'consultant.'..

Read this article and tell me you're comfortable with the pick:   https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/4/25/17277580/draft-qb-thoughts-baker-mayfield-lamar-jackson-josh-allen

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, T-Bomb said:

And fans like you believe every opinion you have is superior to any opinion anyone else may have, and throw childish tantrums whenever someone disagrees with you. You can continue to be as aggressive, condescending, and obnoxious as you want in asserting your opinions, they are still merely opinions - no more valid than any other opinion on this board.

Edited by billsfan1959

18 minutes ago, Greywolf said:

Yeah right...FUN is not how it looks to me.  Maybe somebody should check to see if there are any statistics on how many people in Buffalo last night:

- Threw-up

- Suffered a heart attack

- Kicked their dog

- Destroyed their televisions

- Beat their wives

- Hung themselves

- Etc.

It's amazing how many people say "this org. has set us back X years", when they actually had some success in just one, yet the fan base immediately wants to stone them to death.  Unbelievable.

People on this board would not have been happy if Jesus himself was our draft pick. 

There is no FUN left in Buffalo!

15 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The issue is RISK.

Like I said in an earlier post in this thread. 

"Think of it as almost every Bills fan in this forum wanted the Bills to trade up to the #2 spot for (Mr. Glass), Josh Rosen by giving up two #1s, two #2s, two #3s and some even wanted the Bills to give up three first rounders for him. 

The Bills got two blue-chip players in the first round in 2018 and has someone else so aptly put it...they should be crapping glitter!"

22 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Hate to break it to you but all your bleacher report "scouting reports" don't mean jack **** compared to actual NFL scouts, This front office had done everything imaginable to prove that they have excellent judgement in both the draft and free agency, messageboad GMs are just gonna have to watch and learn.

15 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

The overwhelming majority knows more than pro scouts and coaches. Always has.

It wasn't smart. It was the dumbest move imaginable.

You may be too young to remember Ben Roethlisberger in college. He also played in a non-power conference. He absolutely dominated. Annihilated his competition. Led Miami of Ohio to a Top 15 national ranking. That's who Allen should have been if he was worthy of a Top 10 pick. But Allen wasn't even close to that.

Bingo thats it right there. He didnt dominate a mediocre conference. 

Yes all the qbs have flaws but Allens flaw is he has to learn to be a qb. Not very reassuring

Bill, the problem is you are biased against the position that was picked. You don't like the drafting of secondary players high, that is why you didn't like the picks. And that has clouded your judgement of the talent of the individual. In each of the instances you've used as an example, those players succeeded or have succeeded in the NFL. They were correctly evaluated. No one is knocking the pick because the Bills selected a QB, like you do with the secondary picks. They are knocking the talent evaluation of Allen.

Why is it expected that fans have to change their mind immediately because the Bills picked Allen? Because "this is their job" and they do it for a living? It was Buddy Nix/Doug Whaley's job to pick a QB. It was Tom Donahoe's job to pick a QB too. If you don't already know, GMs do get picks wrong and just because the Bills selected Allen doesn't mean I'll change my opinion of the player that I had previous to the draft. 

Do I hope he proves all of the people wrong who doubt him, including me? Of course.

And for me, it's not just the accuracy, although that is a concern. He gets confused with coverages too.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Comparisons, comparisons.

I just saw one that compared him to Brett Favre.

Let’s relax and see what we have.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

No offense, but Palmer is being paid by Allen as his 'consultant.'..

Read this article and tell me you're comfortable with the pick:   https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/4/25/17277580/draft-qb-thoughts-baker-mayfield-lamar-jackson-josh-allen

Yes, and Palmer also worked with Deshaun Watson the last offseason. How did that work out?

The writer of that article Rodger Sherman also states I’m often wrong. (I was huge into Johnny Manziel and [speaks in a small voice so people can’t hear] Geno Smith.)

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I have been on this wonderful board for many, many years. Now, I am reading these posts that are absolutely hating the Allen pick and it is hard to understand why. Almost every season, I was on this board blasting yet another idiotic first round pick by the Bills. For instance:  A #8 (in a stacked draft) on an undersized Donte Whitner? How about a 1st on a half dead Willis McGahee? In 2008 we had a very poor OL. It was awful. We drafted Leotis McKelvin, passing up both Ryan Clady and Branden Albert.

Well written post, my friend. The FO did what most fans wanted them to do in going after a franchise QB. We all have our opinions on which QB in this draft we wanted; however, not one of us has any idea which ones will be good and which ones will not. They took their shot on a QB who was one of the few legitimate 1st round talents in this draft. I second you in welcoming him to Buffalo and wish him all the best. 

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Couldn't agree more.  I'll be honest, I would have taken Rosen.  But as Beane said each of the QBs in this class had positives and negatives.  They liked Allen's positives.

Some  compare this pick to EJ.  To me it's JP.  Same big arm and stuff but JP never could handle the mental aspects of the position.  Will Allen be able to?  We'll see.  But I'd say the same for all the QBs drafted this year.

JP was starting to get it and was looking pretty darn good until Fat Vince dove into his knees. 

I, too, preferred Rosen.  But two things make me feel good about the Allen pick.  1) When they showed Rosen in the draft room and I saw his small frame, I couldn't help thinking: "Wow, he looks like Sam Bradford," which does worry me.  The second is, if you are going to buy a lottery ticket (and all the evidence is that even quarterbacks at the top of the draft are a lottery ticket), why not buy a Powerball instead of a church festival raffle ticket?  Yes, the Bills might have to do this again in three or four years.....but instead of just treading water and getting a quarterback who will get by....if you want a game changer, you probably have to take some chances.

I have the utmost respect for you as a poster here, but I don't think your confusion is warranted. It's pretty simple: most of us took it as a given that the Bills would be drafting a QB, likely via trading up. Before the draft, Allen seemed by far the most likely of the top QBs to be a bust. Rosen, by all accounts, is the best pure passer. So when the Bills opted for the most likely to bust over the best passer, that was a concern. And I don't think it helps how the Bills' FO is selling the pick: First they talk about Allen's size, arm, and athleticism, but nothing about his ability to actually complete passes. Then two guys who've spent a fraction of their lives in WNY talk about how "Buffalo" he is. They may not have intended it this way, but that read to me as basically, "Look, he's a dumb hick just like all of you - you'll love him!" I'm sick of both of those sales pitches. If Aaron Rodgers can be happy in Green Bay, there's no reason to think the Bills have to draft a farm boy.

To your other point, I would be even more upset if the Bills hadn't drafted a QB at all, but that was borderline unfathomable to me heading into the draft. They're better off swinging and missing on a QB than not trying at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

The writer of that article Rodger Sherman also states I’m often wrong. 

The relevance of that article is the links it aggregates.   Not the writer's opinion.    The data / stats collectively are horrondous...

Here's some more "fun' video:  https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/1/26/16932920/josh-allen-wyoming-quarterback-hype-nfl-draft

(Love the Senior Bowl drill video vs. Mayfield :o)

Edited by Lurker

I guess this is a trust the process kind of move.  They must have saw traits in him Beane and McDermott liked.

To me I have to see how he plays out before I have any strong opinion one way or another 

Edited by Another Fan