What I Don't Understand About Fan Reaction to Allen

Couldn't agree more.  I'll be honest, I would have taken Rosen.  But as Beane said each of the QBs in this class had positives and negatives.  They liked Allen's positives.

Some  compare this pick to EJ.  To me it's JP.  Same big arm and stuff but JP never could handle the mental aspects of the position.  Will Allen be able to?  We'll see.  But I'd say the same for all the QBs drafted this year.

4 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I could go on and on but my point is that fans were generally supportive of these clearly stupid picks. Now, we finally use resources on a big, strong quarterback and most people seem to hate the kid. Why? Because he said stupid things when he was a toddler? Because he went to a small school?

I’ve watched him play and don’t think he’s any good. 

• Like (+1) 2

As usual at draft time it becomes political, if you like a guy you must therefore must destroy every other possible adversary, can't believe that it's a bunch of actual grown men and women that act this way. Now with social media people get so tied up debating they think they're part of the actual process lol, like mad at the GM for not listening to their hour or two of youtube and WGR "draft research"

8 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I’ve watched him play and don’t think he’s any good. 

...and you are????? I think we should go with the whole room of professional scouts that do this for a living.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 4

He's a fine prospect. But I'm tired of our franchise QB struggling to process information. This goes back to Rob Johnson. Johnson, Losman, Manuel, and Allen are all the same QB. Strong arm, athletic QB's that don't process the game fast enough. The accuracy isn't even my concern. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts
  • Like (+1) 8

16 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I have been on this wonderful board for many, many years. Now, I am reading these posts that are absolutely hating the Allen pick and it is hard to understand why. Almost every season, I was on this board blasting yet another idiotic first round pick by the Bills. for instance: A  #8 (in a stacked draft) on an undersized Donte Whitner? How about a 1st on a half dead Willis McGahee? In 2008 we had a very poor OL. It was awful. We drafted Leotis McKelvin, passing up both Ryan Clady and Branden Albert?

I could go on and on but my point is that fans were generally supportive of these clearly stupid picks. Now, we finally use resources on a big, strong quarterback and most people seem to hate the kid. Why? Because he said stupid things when he was a toddler? Because he went to a small school?

After what seemed like forever, we took a chance on solidifying the most important position on the field. We moved up to make sure we landed a qb with a cannon arm. What is SO freaking bad?

I for one am glad that we did something smart (for a change) in round 1, and welcome this young man to Buffalo.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because we are becoming very polarized and will hate every top pick.   This GM and coach seem to be making moves that they think will make this team better.  I am ok with it since they made good picks last year and played well above the talent level.   But the “fans” will find every reason they can to hate the pick things like the owner liked the guy, he made some stupid tweets (yet they love the ones from the idiot in White House) etc etc etc.   as I predicted in. A thread I started months ago This would happen

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

...and you are????? I think we should go with the whole room of professional scouts that do this for a living.

You can think whatever you want to think, I don’t really care. I have my reason why I don’t like the pick. If you want to trust the people that get paid to make these picks then go ahead but I won’t simply disregard what I believe just Because there are people in an NFL front office that feel differently. There were also people getting paid to scout for a living who thought EJ Manual was a franchise QB as well. These guys get it wrong all the time.

People that don’t scout for a living have a lot of resources to make informed opinions. If I’m wrong about him then that’s great. I just don’t see his flaws improving enough to make him great.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, jr1 said:

GREAT - YET another QB we have to dumb the game down for.

Sorry, but this is all to reminiscent of EJ Manuel. 

I was a great supporter of EJ and no one could tell you the kid did not work hard BUT we all know he never improved.

I pray I am wrong and Allen can be "The Guy".  But, it seems that, for the time being, my optimism is BROKEN. 

11 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

As usual at draft time it becomes political, if you like a guy you must therefore must destroy every other possible adversary, can't believe that it's a bunch of actual grown men and women that act this way. Now with social media people get so tied up debating they think they're part of the actual process lol, like mad at the GM for not listening to their hour or two of youtube and WGR "draft research"

And fans like you are simply useless tbh...

No matter what dumbass FO this organization hires, you just sit there with your thumb up your ass, drinking the KoolAid, assuming the FO can do no wrong, because they are "your Bills".  Whatever colossal draft mistake they make, you'll support it in lemming-like fashion,  It's pathetic.

Loser fans deserve a loser franchise I guess...

Edited by T-Bomb
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I have been on this wonderful board for many, many years. Now, I am reading these posts that are absolutely hating the Allen pick and it is hard to understand why. Almost every season, I was on this board blasting yet another idiotic first round pick by the Bills. for instance: A  #8 (in a stacked draft) on an undersized Donte Whitner? How about a 1st on a half dead Willis McGahee? In 2008 we had a very poor OL. It was awful. We drafted Leotis McKelvin, passing up both Ryan Clady and Branden Albert?

After what seemed like forever, we took a chance on solidifying the most important position on the field. We moved up to make sure we landed a qb with a cannon arm. What is SO freaking bad?

I for one am glad that we did something smart (for a change) in round 1, and welcome this young man to Buffalo.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No.  Because he averaged 164 yards per game with a 56% completion percentage in the Mountain West Conference.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

No matter what dumbass FO this organization hires, you just sit there with your thumb up your ass, drinking the KoolAid, assuming the FO can do no wrong, because they are "your Bills".  Whatever colossal draft mistake they make, you'll support it in lemming-like fashion,  It's pathetic.

If only we kept tyrod.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

Just proved the OPs point

Bill, I think most of the hate comes from the fact that the stigma that follows him is one of an inaccurate passer, primarily because of his 56% passer rating.  I think in some fans minds shades of EJ Manuel come to mind.

To be honest with you alot of this is on-the-surface analysis because the fact is he played in a system that relied on the long ball (which he has a beautiful deep ball) that naturally will net a lower completion %, he had a bad line that didn't give a lot of time to throw the ball and awful receivers who couldn't separate.  

When you actually see the video of some of his games, you see that the label of being a woefully inaccurate passer simply aren't true.  Yes, he does have some accuracy issues but not nearly as pronounced as what his reputation would have you believe.

The kid makes unbelievable throws in right windows and on the run.  He's also am anticipation thrower, something we haven't had in a long while.

He's a hard worker and he is very bright.

I don't believe he will be a bust and i happen to think his floor is much higher than most.  

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Just proved the OPs point

Well you see omf, I was one to complain for many, many years. For example, when Whaley gave away the store for Watkins, I blasted the move from day 1 (and still do).  People said I was wrong because he was "good." Tell me. what "good" was he for the Bills, a team with huge QB problems?

Now, we went after a big strong QB who might also be good. I would much rather miss with a qb than waste another prime pick on a db or rb. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, T-Bomb said:

Have you had your KoolAid yet this morning?  

I see you will be one one the leading crusaders against allen.  the bills didnt take who you wanted, get over it and quit crying

• Like (+1) 7

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

Well you see omf, I was one to complain for many, many years. For example, when Whaley gave away the store for Watkins, I blasted the move from day 1 (and still do).  People said I was wrong because he was "good." Tell me. what "good" was he for the Bills, a team with huge QB problems?

Now, we went after a big strong QB who might also be good. I would much rather miss with a qb than waste another prime pick on a db or rb. 

Good points.  It will come down to whether the kid can process things well enough to compete at the NFL level.  About 50% of Round 1 QBs don't work out.  We'll see.

• Like (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Couldn't agree more.  I'll be honest, I would have taken Rosen.  But as Beane said each of the QBs in this class had positives and negatives.  They liked Allen's positives.

Some  compare this pick to EJ.  To me it's JP.  Same big arm and stuff but JP never could handle the mental aspects of the position.  Will Allen be able to?  We'll see.  But I'd say the same for all the QBs drafted this year.

Good post. I too thought I wanted Rosen. They took Allen and I trust that Beane and McDermott made the right choice. All we can do is Get behind the kid and give him a shot. I think the overreaction here is The Bills have been so inept that fans are so jaded and cynical.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, BeefCurtns said:

Good post. I too thought I wanted Rosen. They took Allen and I trust that Beane and McDermott made the right choice. All we can do is Get behind the kid and give him a shot. I think the overreaction here is The Bills have been so inept that fans are so jaded and cynical.

It's a defense mechanism for some.  Assume all Bills decisions are bad.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Have you had your morning bottle and been burped yet?  

Diaper needs changing first.

3 minutes ago, Pbomb said:

I see you will be one one the leading crusaders against allen.  the bills didnt take who you wanted, get over it and quit crying

People seem pretty mad about this, others seem ecstatic, and I don't blame either side for feeling how they do.

He was the most polarizing QB in the draft.

Experts either thought he was going to be Jesus Christ Superstar, or the next Kyle Boller, and we're adamant about either side.

The only thing the experts agreed on was that there was no middle ground with him, very "boom or bust".

I do agree with you about the crying, people need to stop the personal attacks and calling people idiots for liking Allen, but they also need to stop calling people idiots for not liking him.

He has very real and tangible strengths, but also very huge flaws and a long way to go before he is ready to be effective.

Both sides have valid points, and nobody is an idiot for feeling either way about him.

I preferred Rosen, but I'm positive they didn't like his durability concerns, and didn't want Bradford2.0 with the fiberglass skeleton. Your franchise QB is useless if he can't stay on the field.

My biggest gripe was that we paid #12 and TWO second round picks for Allen, when the Cardinals paid #15 a 3rd and a 5th for Rosen. Feels like we got fleeced, but you know what? If he even turns into a top10 guy it was worth it, and if he becomes elite, it was a freaking steal.

Go Bills.

Fingers crossed Allen was the right pick.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

It's a defense mechanism for some.  Assume all Bills decisions are bad.

There's a word for their typical moves, it's called "Bills"

Used in a sentence:

Drafting Josh Allen, a boom or bust project QB, over the most NFL ready QB Josh Rosen, was the most BILLSY move they could have made.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I have been on this wonderful board for many, many years. Now, I am reading these posts that are absolutely hating the Allen pick and it is hard to understand why. Almost every season, I was on this board blasting yet another idiotic first round pick by the Bills. For instance:  A #8 (in a stacked draft) on an undersized Donte Whitner? How about a 1st on a half dead Willis McGahee? In 2008 we had a very poor OL. It was awful. We drafted Leotis McKelvin, passing up both Ryan Clady and Branden Albert.

my opinion is that QB is the most important position and basically Jim Kelly was out last great/good QB.  there will be people in the football media world that will give the Allen pick a low grade and the Allen haters will stand by these people .   

24 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

I never drink the Kool-aid--- every time i do-- I spill it on my shirt and some big guy that looks like a pitcher of beer with a smile face comes out crashing thru a wall.. 

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Used in a sentence:

Drafting Josh Allen, a boom or bust project QB, over the most NFL ready QB Josh Rosen, was the most BILLSY move they could have made.

Considering that the Browns, Jets, Broncos, Bills passed up on him and that the Dolphins could have easily secured Rosen and they all passed on him, I suppose you could say that it wasn't just a Billsy sort of thing to do but an actual decision making GM sort of thing

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I have been on this wonderful board for many, many years. Now, I am reading these posts that are absolutely hating the Allen pick and it is hard to understand why. Almost every season, I was on this board blasting yet another idiotic first round pick by the Bills. For instance:  A #8 (in a stacked draft) on an undersized Donte Whitner? How about a 1st on a half dead Willis McGahee? In 2008 we had a very poor OL. It was awful. We drafted Leotis McKelvin, passing up both Ryan Clady and Branden Albert.

Allen has to be perfect or Bills fans will boo him at games and trash him on here.  I wish people would give him a chance.  

• Like (+1) 1

LISTEN...

Like him or Hate him...

he looks like EJ or someone way better...

I personally don't give a crap.

Because I am a bills fan weather I like him or not

I will cheer him and boo him.

I will be happy with some plays and upset with others.

But.. Because I am a Bills fan and a believer in the system..

I will back this kid up 100% and not complain about it?

why?

CAUSE THATS WHAT WE DO!

6 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Used in a sentence:

Opinions run the spectrum here and the only thing that will resolve the debate is going to be actual playing time under center in NFL game situations.  We may or may not see a lot of that with Allen this year.  But if Bills fans are upset at the pick what about Browns and Jets?  Their GM's also passed on the "most NFL ready QB" at picks 1 and 3.  All three front offices and coaching staffs put in countless hours of effort checking these guys inside-out.  So what do fans see that 3 teams of professionals do not? 

Personally I would have taken Rosen too but my knowledge is limited to him passing the eye test.  I watched a couple UCLA games and saw some highlight films.  Never spoke to him, or his coaches, or anyone with direct knowledge about the guy.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

You can think whatever you want to think, I don’t really care. I have my reason why I don’t like the pick. If you want to trust the people that get paid to make these picks then go ahead but I won’t simply disregard what I believe just Because there are people in an NFL front office that feel differently. There were also people getting paid to scout for a living who thought EJ Manual was a franchise QB as well. These guys get it wrong all the time.

People that don’t scout for a living have a lot of resources to make informed opinions. If I’m wrong about him then that’s great. I just don’t see his flaws improving enough to make him great.

Hear, hear. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Magox said:

Considering that the Browns, Jets, Broncos, Bills passed up on him and that the Dolphins could have easily secured Rosen and they all passed on him, I suppose you could say that it wasn't just a Billsy sort of thing to do but an actual decision making GM sort of thing

Browns and Jets took Mayfield and Darnold.

Rosen was the most NFL ready.

They felt the others had higher ceilings, or less injury risk, with the second being the most likely.

Broncos too Chubb because he's a beast and they look to be committed to rolling the dice with keenum.

My statement was in reference to our pick vs Rosen.

No the dolphins couldn't have "easily secured" Rosen.

Did they have two seconds to give up to beat our offer?

Did they match Arizona's offer to Oakland?

Saying they passed on Rosen when he was taken before them is just flat out wrong.

More than likely they thought he would fall one more spot and Arizona jumped them.

3 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

Allen has to be perfect or Bills fans will boo him at games and trash him on here.  I wish people would give him a chance.  

He truly does deserve a chance. The kid seems happy to be in Buffalo.

Remember when Gilmore was drafted? I blasted that pick as well and most posters were thrilled by the pick. Yet when the selection was announced, the only person sadder than me was Stephon Gilmore. He was going to be the "shut down corner," no?  Meanwhile he was quite average and his effort was well below average.

We missed with player after player in round 1 and neglected the most important positions. Now I think it is time to cheer on our new young quarterback! :) 

37 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

Lol. That's your opinion. Here's mine. I think with coaching and learning to be an NFL qb he will suceed. The kid is Raw and needs to learn how to play the position correctly. I get the cynicism and God knows Bills fans have the right to be jaded. The people in charge made him a Bill. All we can do now is hope.

My opinion isn't based on anything off the field. Allen is a very inaccurate passer. Mediocre completion rate. Overthrows open receivers under pressure. Underthrows open receivers under pressure. Drafted too high and put into a position where, if AJ doesn't perform, Allen may be forced onto the field well before he's ready (just like another recent project who was ruined this way) behind a shaky O-line and with not a super receiver corps.

I'm rooting for the guy because I don't want anyone to fail, but I have strong doubts. I hope the Bills prove me wrong. Any confidence I have is due to my thinking that McDermott and Beane are much sharper judges of talent than their predecessors.