Would Allen have been there at 12?

On 4/26/2018 at 9:12 PM, Logic said:

No. Schefter reported that the Cardinals wanted him, and that had been reported by other draft analysts recently. I think they still would have traded up, but would have taken Allen at 10 instead of Rosen.

Now...would ROSEN have been available at 12? Very possibly.

And risk Miami taking Rosen at 11? Not worth it. This place would have lost its collective mind if we had been shut out of the top 4 QB’s.

1 hour ago, QB12 said:

Yes, he would have still been there for the taking at the 12th pick if the Bills didn't move up to take him before then.

I completely disagree with this, but it doesn’t really matter in the long run. We still got 2 potentially great players in the first round as well as others with great upside in the following rounds. Beane did the right thing in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

100% NO, Josh Allen was both the Dolphins and Cardinals primary target, there are also other teams rumored to be interested enough to trade up if he began to fall.

Didn't know about Miami liking Allen.  Where did you read that?  I think there was a 0% chance that Allen would have been there at 12.

On 4/27/2018 at 2:27 AM, Awwufelloff said:

Agreed and Arizona wanted Rosen not allen. Allen would have been there at 12.

Man, you guys on here really like talking out of you asses, don't you, it has been reported by 2 sources that Allen was the Cardinals #1 target, also it was reported that the Dolphins were very high on Allen, I see whats happening here, people just can't accept that the professionals all saw Josh Allen as a superior QB to your Josh Rosen, such babies. We did the right thing, too bad you dead enders are gonna miss out while you pout.

4 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Didn't know about Miami liking Allen.  Where did you read that?  I think there was a 0% chance that Allen would have been there at 12.

There were at least a few local stories that they would take Allen if he fell to them, Dolphins spent time with him at the Senior Bowl, Pro Day and had him in for a visit and there was "rumors" on profootballtalk.com.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was in favor of holding onto the picks and taking who fell to us at 12, but now that I have studied Allen, we did the right thing. Allen would have been gone, they didn’t like Rosen (rightly so), and would have left Randolph.

2 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

I think there's a good chance he actually would've still been there in the second round.

I'm not buying the report that Arizona wanted him. 

i heard on the radio yesterday that (allegedly), az had a deal with denver all set for allen at 5 but when chubb fell into denver's lap they stayed put. 

Based on everything we know, and everything that has been reported - the answer is almost certainly no. 

Josh Allen would have definitely been picked before #12.

Over the last few months, I've been very clear about my preference.  I personally had Josh Rosen as my #2 quarterback (after Sam Darnold), and very much wanted him before Allen.  In fact, I wasn't much of an Allen fan at all, and was pretty disappointed when the Bills decided to go with him.

But it's clear that NFL teams did not feel that way.  At least a good chunk of them.  Whether Bills fans like it or not, many GMs and coaches had major concerns over Rosen's personality/character/leadership.  The Browns have openly admitted there was something about Rosen they didn't like.  There were countless reports during the draft that Rosen was going to be the 4th QB off the board (he was) and some teams refused to draft him altogether.

I like what I saw with Rosen on tape.  But there is something about him in the interview process (which fans are not privy to) that totally turned teams off.  Two weeks ago, we could have chalked this up to a smokescreen.  Now that the draft is finished and teams are more willing to discuss their thoughts, it's becoming clear those reports were very accurate.

Likley no, but regaurdless they got the guy they wanted.  If they liked Darnold they could have gone to 2.  They were willing to go to 5 so they obviously are very high on him.  

15 hours ago, QB12 said:

Yes, he would have still been there for the taking at the 12th pick if the Bills didn't move up to take him before then.

no..he wouldnt

On 4/26/2018 at 10:46 PM, JayBaller10 said:

I've seen too many "who cares" posts for my liking. I for one DO CARE the Bills gave up TWO 2nd round picks. Picks that had the potential to fill one of many holes - WR, OL, another LB, DL, RB. Those 2nd rounders are premium picks and the Bills caved into the Bucs demand. Would I have been upset if the two went towards drafting Rosen? Probably not as much, so the bias of not liking the player makes it sting that much more. I sincerely hope Allen defies every single metric and becomes a top echelon QB. Lord knows the Bills need a break. But then again, the Bills have had many opportunities to create their own breaks, but time and time again they piss them away... just like those two 2nd round picks.

Except they might not have addressed the most important position on the field....then whoever they got with those 2nd round picks dont mean squat......and time and time again the bills have ignored this position.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, John from Riverside said:

no..he wouldnt

I don't think he would have been either.   Miami was rumored to be looking, and we know Arizona was moving up for a QB.   We could have sat there at 12, watched Rosen or Allen go at 10 to Arizona, then watched Miami take the leftover at 11 and been exactly where we were in 2004 watching our franchise QB go 1 pick before us. 

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

I don't think he would have been either.   Miami was rumored to be looking, and we know Arizona was moving up for a QB.   We could have sat there at 12, watched Rosen or Allen go at 10 to Arizona, then watched Miami take the leftover at 11 and been exactly where we were in 2004 watching our franchise QB go 1 pick before us. 

All of this is true

Frankly it really does not even matter to me in the end

- Some are lamenting the 2 2nd round picks we gave up IF YOU DO NOT HAVE YOUR QB IT DOES NOT MATTER WHO YOU TOOK WITH THOSE 2ND ROUND PICKS....quarterback is the most important postion on the field.

- We managed to keep 22....which we turned into a freak athletic linebacker

- Still managed to get that OG and DT in the later rounds both of which could be starting soon

- If Allen works out then giving up the whole draft would have been worth it....lucky for us Beane is a ninja

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

All of this is true

Frankly it really does not even matter to me in the end

- Some are lamenting the 2 2nd round picks we gave up IF YOU DO NOT HAVE YOUR QB IT DOES NOT MATTER WHO YOU TOOK WITH THOSE 2ND ROUND PICKS....quarterback is the most important postion on the field.

- We managed to keep 22....which we turned into a freak athletic linebacker

- Still managed to get that OG and DT in the later rounds both of which could be starting soon

- If Allen works out then giving up the whole draft would have been worth it....lucky for us Beane is a ninja

The fact we didn't give up a 2019 pick and we got both Allen and Edmunds and still got Phillips this draft was an absolute homerun in my opinion.   We just have to develop Allen properly 

• Like (+1) 1

On 27/04/2018 at 12:10 AM, Awwufelloff said:

I'm almost positive he would have been. Giving up all we did to move up 5 spots was quite dumb, a side from drafting Allen over Rosen...

There were several reports that the Bills were competing with the Cardinals for both the Tampa and Denver picks. One report out of Arizona said the Cards were "heartbroken" over getting beat out by the Bills for Allen. Of course you are free to not believe them.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

The fact we didn't give up a 2019 pick and we got both Allen and Edmunds and still got Phillips this draft was an absolute homerun in my opinion.   We just have to develop Allen properly 

That OG we got doesnt look too shabby either.

Not every hole has been addressed, but hard do that in or or even 2 drafts when you are completely changing schemes both defensively and offensively.

We still need

A RT that doesnt suck

A stretch the field receiver

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

That OG we got doesnt look too shabby either.

Not every hole has been addressed, but hard do that in or or even 2 drafts when you are completely changing schemes both defensively and offensively.

We still need

A RT that doesnt suck

A stretch the field receiver

This guy gets it.  

On 4/27/2018 at 12:10 AM, Awwufelloff said:

I'm almost positive he would have been. Giving up all we did to move up 5 spots was quite dumb, a side from drafting Allen over Rosen...

No the Cardinals were trying very hard to move up and were "heartbroken" when we moved up ahead of them

San Francisco was open to move down from #9 and had talks with Arizona so I don't think he would have been there at 12. 

They did what they set out to do. They compiled their data, reorganized the hell out of the roster, acquired extra picks, identified their guy, then went and got him. We'll see how it pans out but props to this front office for sticking to their guns and executing their plans.

This is a strange question.  We know that Arizona MIGHT have moved up but we will probably never know for sure.  Bottom line is that we got the guy that McDermott and Beane though would have the best chance of success on the Bills team and moved up to get him masterfully.  Let's just watch and see how Josh progresses and stop second guessing every decision made by OBD.

8 minutes ago, Billsfansinceday1 said:

This is a strange question.  We know that Arizona MIGHT have moved up but we will probably never know for sure.  Bottom line is that we got the guy that McDermott and Beane though would have the best chance of success on the Bills team and moved up to get him masterfully.  Let's just watch and see how Josh progresses and stop second guessing every decision made by OBD.

yes