Down to Allen or Mayfield at 1

4 minutes ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

Create so much confusion a desperate teams says "screw it" and way overpays for your #1 so they are guaranteed to get the guy they want.

I suppose that could be true but then that would mean they are essentially punting from getting their top QB in this years draft.   Which in my view would be a mistake from a GM point of view.  It could turn out to be the right decision but if they strike out on selecting their QB after trading down then Dorsey should be fired for making a monumental mistake.

32 minutes ago, BillsGuru4 said:

Per BR. Didnt see this posted

Heard this morning on GMFB that the consensus pick for the Browns @ #1 overall has been decided upon. They know who their guy is. It was between Darnold, Mayfield, and Allen. 

14 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

this tweet says it all, Allbright sticking with his sources:

Dorsey trying to bait someone to trade up, it's all smoke.  It's going to be Darnold

If it's not Darnold, it will suck for Bills.

15 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Dorsey trying to bait someone to trade up, it's all smoke.  It's going to be Darnold

One problem here: suppose the plan works and someone (Buffalo?) trades up...and takes the guy you want.

17 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

i have to assume this is the case as well.

48 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

uh, why...... its the first pick of the draft. there's no screen necessary is there?

Exactly, there is no need to screen the first overall pick. At this point though, I honestly believe it will come to a coin flip.

45 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

20 minutes later, Albright tweeted this:

Of course, 4 minutes after that, he backed off a bit, responding to whether or not he could be being fed misinformation:

This is like when Negan gave the wrong plans to Dwight knowing he would send them to Rick. Great way to smoke out leaks. 

3 hours ago, H2o said:

I think Allen has more upside as a passer. I take Allen. 

I’m not fully disagreeing but do you know Allen has never been better than a 50% passer, even in high school.  Here are stats from community college.  http://www.cccaasports.org/sports/fball/2014-15/players/joshuaallen0oal

obviously, nothing is set in stone.  But man, it’s crazy that a guy who has never been accurate, the one stat that somewhat means something in evaluating successful qbs going from college to the pros, is being talked about going so high.

i think Jackson has to go to the right team but he was one of the best college players I have ever seen and he did in a big time conference.  So I give the slight edge to Jackson but I hope they both turn out to be good pros. We need more good qbs.

Given the Browns sordid QB history I would be shocked if they take Allen given that his value is significantly based on projecting future performance.  They need more of a sure thing, a higher floor  Allen is the guy I would love the Bills to get, and at 12 would be perfect.  I have not dared to dream Darnold, but if Browns take Allen or Mayfield - get 2 done for Darnold!  But I strongly suspect this is smoke.

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m not fully disagreeing but do you know Allen has never been better than a 50% passer, even in high school.  Here are stats from community college.  http://www.cccaasports.org/sports/fball/2014-15/players/joshuaallen0oal

obviously, nothing is set in stone.  But man, it’s crazy that a guy who has never been accurate, the one stat that somewhat means something in evaluating successful qbs going from college to the pros, is being talked about going so high.

i think Jackson has to go to the right team but he was one of the best college players I have ever seen and he did in a big time conference.  So I give the slight edge to Jackson but I hope they both turn out to be good pros. We need more good qbs.

Jackson running with the football? Absolutely amazing and fun to watch. Jackson throwing the football? Reminds me a lot of Tyrod with waiting for guys to be completely open in many instances. Those windows get tighter in the NFL. He also gets less accurate the further the ball travels down the field. I'm not big on Allen either for his inconsistencies and tendency to try to do too much. I don't really want either guy, but if I had to choose then Allen is the guy I roll with. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It has to be Darnold or Allen. If they pick one of those two we'll have one of the top 3. If not all bets are off with what the Giants will do.

I'm basing my opinion on the prevailing view that Giants will only take Darnold at QB.  So if Browns pick anyone but Darnold, then 3QBs are off the board immediately and Bills' options are more limited

4 minutes ago, GG said:

I'm basing my opinion on the prevailing view that Giants will only take Darnold at QB.  So if Browns pick anyone but Darnold, then 3QBs are off the board immediately and Bills' options are more limited

If the Browns take Allen we'll still be in good shape. Even if the Giants take Darnold and the Jets take Mayfield, that leaves open a trade up to 4 or 5 for Rosen. No one could possibly outbid us. Worst case scenario is Browns taking Mayfield. In that scenario it's very possible the first 3 picks are Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen and there's nothing we could do about it.

14 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Sure, because they also have pick #4. Why give anyone extra time to prepare?

they've been vocal about taking qb at 1. at that point that has nothing to do with the 4 pick. that makes no sense. teams know they are taking a qb. 

the real monkey wrench in all this is being held by the giants. 

7 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

they've been vocal about taking qb at 1. at that point that has nothing to do with the 4 pick. that makes no sense. teams know they are taking a qb. 

the real monkey wrench in all this is being held by the giants. 

It makes total sense. No one knows WHICH QB they are taking. You think which one they take has nothing to do with what happens the next 2 picks?!

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

It makes total sense. No one knows WHICH QB they are taking. You think which one they take has nothing to do with what happens the next 2 picks?!

jets are taking a qb. that has no bearing on the browns pick at 4. so this comes down to if you think the giants would take darnold at 2 or one of the elite non qb's..... and if the browns are basing their decision on taking darnold off of that and maybe getting their pick of the litter at non-qb positions at 4 that's just silly. 

there's really no need for all this mystery. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'm actually starting to think that Dorsey is purposely doing this to give the Giants as little time as possible to trade out of 2. This way pick #4 becomes the premium pick to get up for a QB. 

I agree that Dorsey is probably being extra coy to try to maxmize the player or return they get at #4.

But there isn't really ANY incentive to announce the pick or sign him early like in the old days.

Back when "sign-ability" was a thing teams could leverage that top position.