Should The Bills Let Richie Incognito Out Of His Contract

The newest developments in the Richie Incognito saga. He’s now begging the Bills to release him from his contract.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/15/richie-incognito-asks-to-be-released-from-his-contract/

If I’m the Bills, I say....HELL NO.  Sorry Richie but you agreed to a restructured contract that you were happ with and now you want to back out of it?  Nope sorry.  You can be Anquan Boldin Part 2.   

And I can’t figure out if Richie is a genius or a fool for using Twitter to publicly communicate with the team

Edited by BuffaloRush

No. Absolutely not. I’m sure he was given the option to restructure or be let go.  He made his choice. 

After bullygate, I didn’t think he could tarnish his image anymore.  I was wrong 

• Like (+1) 1

If he is under contract but he still wants to play, then maybe he has some trade value. I wouldn’t want him back at this point because he would probably have a bad attitude and would be a negative influence or a distraction. He won’t get a better deal somewhere else due to a bad reputation which is only getting worse with these Twitter rants. 

4 minutes ago, ALF said:

Richie was great his last 3 seasons , even did his best to learn a complex blocking scheme last season. So they rewarded that effort with a pay cut . That was a real insult. 

Bills gave him the opportunity to rejuvenate and continue his career when others disregarded and black balled him. 

Made him a millionaire a few times over for his effort.

#twowaystreet

24 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

The newest developments in the Richie Incognito saga. He’s now begging the Bills to release him from his contract.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/15/richie-incognito-asks-to-be-released-from-his-contract/

If I’m the Bills, I say....HELL NO.  Sorry Richie but you agreed to a restructured contract that you were happ with and now you want to back out of it?  Nope sorry.  You can be Anquan Boldin Part 2.   

And I can’t figure out if Richie is a genius or a fool for using Twitter to publicly communicate with the team

I don't think he's serious.  He refers here to AthletesFirst, the agents he just fired on twitter.

RI?  He's a fool.  I thought actually after last season that he had a lucrative career in broadcasting waiting for him -

he successfully redeemed his image with the Bills, he's good-looking when he dresses well, he's well-spoken, articulate about football -

all he had to do was keep it clean personally and avoid going too deep into politics. 

This twitter meltdown has that possibility of big $$ broadcast money in a second career flitting away from him like little birds. No network wants to sign a guy who might have a wierd grade-school-esque public twitter meltdown at any moment.

Edit: wrt releasing him sure - if a team approaches us pre draft and crosses our palm with sufficient numbers of picks.  Otherwise Hell to the No.

You wanna be regarded as a Man, be a Man - that means be true to your word

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, ALF said:

Richie was great his last 3 seasons , even did his best to learn a complex blocking scheme last season. So they rewarded that effort with a pay cut . That was a real insult. 

Cry me a river!  If you're so insulted to be offered $5.9M dollars to play football, just say "no", wait for your release, and sign somewhere else - see what the market brings you.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ALF said:

I didn’t expect or understand the pay cut this year either.  He was clearly their best offensive lineman and wasn’t on some exorbitant contract. The amount of savings for the team was tiny and now they have another hole to fill.  Say what you want about Incognito’s quirkiness, but the guy was playing lights out since he came to Buffalo and he earned that pay raise. We are a worse team without him.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, ALF said:

I argued the same thing in the other Richie thread. This is on OBD!

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Cry me a river!  If you're so insulted to be offered $5.9M dollars to play football, just say "no", wait for your release, and sign somewhere else - see what the market brings you.

Definitely a move that will bring players to Buffalo! 

Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

I didn’t expect or understand the pay cut this year either.  He was clearly their best offensive lineman and wasn’t on some exorbitant contract.  The amount of savings for the team was tiny and now they have another hole to fill.  Say what you want about Incognito’s quirkiness, but the guy was playing lights out since he came to Buffalo and he earned that pay raise. We are a worse team without him.

Someone floated the idea that Henderson did a similar restructuring when he was about to be suspended, it somehow allowed him to keep more $$ in exchange for lowering his cap hit.  I am not ginned up on the details, the point being, RI could have agreed to the restructure because it was in his interest, too for some reason we don't know.

Then maybe the reason didn't materialize so now he has buyer's remorse.

It's also entirely possible that the Bills were hunting for every dollar from every vet hoping to participate in the FA sweepstakes, only to see it exceed their asking price.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

If he is under contract but he still wants to play, then maybe he has some trade value. I wouldn’t want him back at this point because he would probably have a bad attitude and would be a negative influence or a distraction. He won’t get a better deal somewhere else due to a bad reputation which is only getting worse with these Twitter rants. 

What do you do if he shows up to camp, is a distraction, and doesn’t have real trade value? 

Also, I asked in another thread: can he restructure again this offseason or does he have to be cut to sign a new contract?

Edited by NoSaint

1 minute ago, BuffaloMatt said:

I argued the same thing in the other Richie thread. This is on OBD!

Definitely a move that will bring players to Buffalo! 

Players will come to Buffalo if we win.   We have already had more success signing FA this year than we had in the entirety of Nix's tenure.  Playoffs, baby.

Football is a business.  Players are asked to restructure all the time, and cut if they won't, including after good seasons.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

What do you do if he shows up to camp, is a distraction, and doesn’t have real trade value? 

Also, I asked in another thread: can he restructure again this offseason or does he have to be cut to sign a new contract?

That may be his best option. Collect pay but be brushed aside. I believe he would get more money by being cut rather than quitting. 

He should have never been asked to take a pay cut to begin with. One of the few Bills players who has actually earned their money. And to be honest, after he got blackballed by that wacko Jonathan Martin who clearly needs pills, he was paid under his market value.

Edited by Fetou
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, ALF said:

Richie was great his last 3 seasons , even did his best to learn a complex blocking scheme last season. So they rewarded that effort with a pay cut . That was a real insult.  he signed a new contract accepting terms of a pay cut and it is called personal accountability.

Fixed that.

Bills must hold pat or the next whiny little baby who doesn't like their personal choices will be line telling the Bills to buckle.

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Players will come to Buffalo if we win.   We have already had more success signing FA this year than we had in the entirety of Nix's tenure.  Playoffs, baby.

Football is a business.  Players are asked to restructure all the time, and cut if they won't, including after good seasons.

Wow. Great business model. Make players disgruntled. Maximizes their performance.  Extra benefit that OBD has to deal with this as draft approaches. 

4 minutes ago, hemma said:

If I did a good job at work + my employer was rich, then it told me I'd need to take a pay cut or be fired, I'd be so grateful, so happy.

I appreciate the sarcasm here, but if you thought you were good at work, but told you would need to take a pay cut, the wealth of your employer means absolutely jackschitt. 

Unless you think you deserve some of your employer's wealth for some bizarre reason simply because they gave you a job.

You get what you're worth. If your boss wants you to take a pay cut, you have choices. Go get what you think you're worth, or STFU and get back to work.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No way they should let him out. These guys with their buyer's remorse when it comes to signing contracts need to be made examples of. He plays here, is traded or is retired and that should be the end of it. Guy says his friggin liver and kidneys are shutting down, how could he even pass a physical if that was true. Maniac 

1 minute ago, LABillzFan said:

I appreciate the sarcasm here, but if you thought you were good at work, but told you would need to take a pay cut, the wealth of your employer means absolutely jackschitt. 

Unless you think you deserve some of your employer's wealth for some bizarre reason simply because they gave you a job.

You get what you're worth. If your boss wants you to take a pay cut, you have choices. Go get what you think you're worth, or STFU and get back to work.

Nearsighted view. Benevolence that rewards performance endears employees to employers and garners loyalty.