If you like football and grew up in Buffalo/WNY...

Will that guarantee pretty much 100% you'll be a Bills fan?  I was in Philly today and everyone had on Eagles gear.  Okay sure it's easier to like a team that's just won a Super Bowl, but someone born and raised in Philly who grows up to be a Cowboys fans seems a little out of the ordinary.  Plus Acme will give you discounts on your food groceries on game days if you wear Eagles gear to the store.

Growing up in NJ in the heart of Giants/Jets country, it doesn't guarantee you'll be a fan of either team.  Those two teams for the most part are the most popular here but there's scatterings of other teams fans here as well.  Cowboys, Dolphins, Steelers, and bandwagon Patriots fans are well represented here.  Then I root for the Bills. 

I imagine other teams in Buffalo aren't well represented fanwise...

If you grow up in Buffalo yes you pretty much have to be a Bills fan. Been going to games since I could walk. Outside of Buffalo you have more freedom. Rochester is far enough away where you might find Giants or Steelers fans too. Southern tier you will definitely find a mix of both as well. There are oddballs from here that like X team because they want to be different but I guarantee the rest of their family are Bills fans. Very rare to find an entire family born and raised in Buffalo that likes another team. It's our team, I feel like they represent us. Sometimes I wish I could like another team but it was never a choice. My grandpa had season tickets, my dad had season tickets, it's just what we do around here.

Edited by kdiggz
  • Like (+1) 1

I remember growing up in the 90s there were a pretty significant amount of Dolphins fans and Cowboys fans too...I think some people resented the fact that the Bills blew it in the Super Bowl.  I also know that some of those kids eventually changed over to the Bills as they became older but not all of them did.  I occasionally see people representing random teams in WNY but nothing like the amount of people wearing Miami stuff in the 90s in my opinion.  

I grew up in the 60's and most in Western New York were not only Bills Fans but AFL fans; big factor in the days of the AFL - NFL rivalry. After the Jets won SB III, they played opening day in Buffalo in 1969 and received a standing ovation from Bills fans. During the 60's, we had some Browns fans because WBEN TV had the rights to there games but never seen anything but Bills fans in the area!

Just now, No Place To Hyde said:

I know a lot of actual Browns fans. Most of which are older (65-70 crowd). Most say they grew up Browns fans and their dads were Brown fans. Likely stems from before we had a team I would guess.

Buffalo got the Bown's every Sunday until the merger on channel four!

I do know people who grew up and lived in Buffalo most of their lives and are not football fans so are not Bills fans either. They kinda know what the Bills are up to if something big happens but do not really care.

Also know many Sabre fans who do not know of or follow any other sport so only follow Sabres. Not weird at all as many Hockey fans are kind of in their own little world. Them against the world mentality and shun other sports etc etc........

Also know some Buffalonians who do not like sports at all so do not follow any teams.

Example of people like that who I don't know is lead singer of Goo Goo Dolls Johhny Rzeznik. He came and sang the national anthem at Bills game when Pegs was introduced and walked out of the tunnel and left as he said he is not into sports.

I checked out Goo Goo Dolls only because they are from Buffalo and find it odd he has no affinity for something as popular as Bills in his hometown. But to each his own. I still like their music though.

When discussing fanhood with anyone, I always ask the origin of they’re relationship with the team. For example, if you are a 20 year old patriots fan, you’re a piece of ****. Where as if you grew up in WNY and are a Steelers fan because your father was born in Pittsburg and that’s the team you watched growing up, I get it. 

My best bud is a Raiders fan. He has liked them since we were lttle kids. He is partial to the Bills, having lived in the area and gone to so many games. So I think regardless of the team you follow, WNY has some connection to the Bills. 

Side note: if you’re a dolphins fan, and live in Buffalo, there is a 96% chance I probably !@#$ing hate you 

11 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

When discussing fanhood with anyone, I always ask the origin of they’re relationship with the team. For example, if you are a 20 year old patriots fan, you’re a piece of ****. Where as if you grew up in WNY and are a Steelers fan because your father was born in Pittsburg and that’s the team you watched growing up, I get it. 

My best bud is a Raiders fan. He has liked them since we were lttle kids. He is partial to the Bills, having lived in the area and gone to so many games. So I think regardless of the team you follow, WNY has some connection to the Bills. 

Side note: if you’re a dolphins fan, and live in Buffalo, there is a 96% chance I probably !@#$ing hate you 

My sister is a Dolphins fan. She started rooting for them because she 1. Likes the animal. 2. Just wanted to annoy me. Her son is a Dolphins fan because that's who she likes. I honestly don't associate with either much. Total ***hat side of the family.

• Haha (+1) 1

I live in NJ  close to NYC.  Half (or more) of the people around here are from somewhere else, so that may explain some of the difference.  I'm guessing Buffalo has a lot fewer transplants from other cities / areas.  My kids (who were born here) will most likely grow up Bills fans, it's something that gets passed down.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I remember growing up in the 90s there were a pretty significant amount of Dolphins fans and Cowboys fans too...I think some people resented the fact that the Bills blew it in the Super Bowl.  I also know that some of those kids eventually changed over to the Bills as they became older but not all of them did.  I occasionally see people representing random teams in WNY but nothing like the amount of people wearing Miami stuff in the 90s in my opinion.  

i knew a few cowboys and dolphins fans that just hated where they were from, and thusly chose to be a**holes and root for the bad guys.

here in the ROC we are mostly bills fans but when the Giants do well (and ONLY when they do well) you start to see quite a few Gmen fans wearing stuff. 

Going further east to Cuse, it seems like maybe half Bills and the rest Giants Jets.   

Gonna see a lot more Browns fans soon if they pop this draft like I hope they do.   

Can't wait to see us and the Browns with two elite qb's.   

Everyone around here knows at least one “Dolphins Guy”.

Dolphins Guy is usually an a-hole.

I would assume the local younger generation now have “Patriots Guy”.

He’s likely an a-hole too.

Edited by 4_kidd_4
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was born in Rochester to a Rochester-local mother and a West Seneca-raised father, so there was never any question where my fanhood would lie. Grew up much farther upstate, St. Lawrence county, which is a pretty decent mix of Bills and Giants, and some Jets fans from what I remember, although having been a teen in the early 90's a lot of people around there were jumping on the Cowboys bandwagon and never got off.

Saddens me to say that after 20 years living in South Florida my dad talks more about the Dolphins than the Bills these days. Not sure if it's the local TV coverage or if he's just getting senile.

2 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I live in the southern tier of WNY and it’s a pretty mixed bag. Like 50% bills fans 50% other. 

Southern Tier born (Salamanca) and raised.  I'm currently in Bath and Giants fans are as prevalent in this area.

• Like (+1) 1

I grew up in Buffalo in the 80s and 90s and there were a couple kids that were Dolphins fans. Same story each time, they had siblings that were huge Bills fans and they wanted to annoy them. Seems stupid, and I see it as a failing of their parents. The second a kid comes home with a Marino jersey, they shouldve been in the car on the way to Father Bakers.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

It would have been hard NOT to be a fan when I grew up in WNY. Granted, we had seasons and knew a bunch of Bills players, but the mood of the entire city changed after a loss. Even if you never went to a game or even just watched, the city was a different, sadder place after any defeat. All you had to do was pay attention. To me, it was palpable. 

Edited by Augie

I grew up in Philly - Eagles were Meh for me - I followed them but nothing crazy.....I also rooted for the Raiders back then - moved to Rochester in 81......went to my first Bills game in 1985, became a 22 year season tix holder - HUGE DIE HARD Bills fan....went the 3 super bowls.  Finally gave up my season tixs when the Bills Brass ran things into the ground.  Figgered the Bills are letting things got to **** they can do it without my $$$.  Still root for them - was in Florida for over 1/2 the season and i found a pretty cool lil Bills Backers bar to watch in Bradenton.  Was funny as crap walking in to see the Colts game - was 84 degrees out and my wife and I walked in to see them knee deep in snow!!  Still manage to make 1-3 games a year.

HUGE BILLS FAN - BIGGER Flyers Fan....I know thats gonna burn some peeps but it is what it is.

GO BILLS!!!

In Chicago, there are a lot of people born and raised here that are Packers fans.  No "buffer zone" here.  In fact, just saw one of my son's friends father (born and raised on South Side) walking across the street in his Packers hat.

Remember, to 1960, Chicago had two teams.  The Bears and Cubs were the North Side teams.  Cardinals & Sox, South Side... Cards played @ Soldier, Bears @ Wrigley Field.  Wrigley still holds record (soon to be replaced) for most Bears home games played there. The Bears didn't move to Soldier till around 1970.

Just as Sox fans hate the Cubs and vice-a-versa... There was probably no love for the effing North Side football Bears on the South Side... So when Cardinals hit St.Louis in 1960... They gravitated to the Bears archrival: Packers.  And... The WI isn't too far away anyway.  Closer than St.Louis.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Having been to lots of games, lots of places, the single biggest factor that separates teams like the Bills, Packers, Steelers and Chiefs is: family. It's not unusual, in fact it's likely, that entire clans will attend Bills games together, at least once a year. Clan can mean different things. Often it means 100% family. But, in can also mean a mix of family and friends, or just friends, that band together and form some sort of agreement that centers on the game(or season), but just as importantly, the tailgate and transportation. I know a guy who only has to drive a UHaul full of people and stuff, to one Bills game every 2 seasons. He is sober for that 1 game. The other 15 games are like Burning Man for him. 

You don't see this in NYC, San Diego(or LA either), Philly, Dallas, Chicago, Miami, etc. Big markets tend to have vast numbers of corporate tickets, PSLs, etc. which tend to shift the focus from who is sitting in the seats around you, to your individual seat itself. In fact, I have shocked and awed many non-Bills fans by inviting them: they say the experience is like night/day. When they attend their team's games, they sit in traffic, park and go into the game almost immediately. They rarely speak to anyone around them. They leave, sit in traffic and go home. Then...they come to Buffalo. :lol: I throw a Bills hat/jersey on them, and introduce them to my crew. But beyond my crew, it's like they have new, close friends, all around them, for the whole day. At the Big Tree after a game, one of my colleagues asked, after she, another colleague, and I had been speaking with 4 other Bills fans for about 10 minutes, if we knew each other. We all smiled: "Nope!". Mind blown.

Thus, given the clans, however defined, the unique game day experience, and the hanging out with total strangers: unbreakable traditions lead to unbreakable bonds, not only with the team, but with the clan, that supports the team and each other.

In my case, one side of my extended family has attended a Bills game together, every year, since I was 5. The only acceptable excuses for missing this game are: military service, a child being born within 1 week of it, being literally in the hospital, or death. I have hellishly flown/driven to ensure I attend, many times. So, yeah, I was always going to be a Bills fan. When I was a toddler in Korea, pre-schooler in lots of different posts, having no idea what the Bills even were: I was told I was a Bills fan.

For many of us, that's just the way it is. Then the personal experiences and memories begin, and that's the way it stays.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Everyone around here knows at least one “Dolphins Guy”.

Dolphins Guy is usually an a-hole.

I would assume the local younger generation now have “Patriots Guy”.

He’s likely an a-hole too.

All suffer from some sort of severe childhood head trauma.

5 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I know a lot of actual Browns fans. Most of which are older (65-70 crowd). Most say they grew up Browns fans and their dads were Brown fans. Likely stems from before we had a team I would guess.

Before the merger my family were Bills and Browns fans. I remember watching Jim Brown with my brothers,  dad and my uncles in the finished basement. We were big Celtics fans too.

Growing up in S B I can't remember anyone not being a Bills fan, you would probably get beaten up, especially if you were a Dolphins fan.:lol:

Edited by Turk71

4 hours ago, OCinBuffalo said:

Having been to lots of games, lots of places, the single biggest factor that separates teams like the Bills, Packers, Steelers and Chiefs is: family. It's not unusual, in fact it's likely, that entire clans will attend Bills games together, at least once a year. Clan can mean different things. Often it means 100% family. But, in can also mean a mix of family and friends, or just friends, that band together and form some sort of agreement that centers on the game(or season), but just as importantly, the tailgate and transportation. I know a guy who only has to drive a UHaul full of people and stuff, to one Bills game every 2 seasons. He is sober for that 1 game. The other 15 games are like Burning Man for him. 

You don't see this in NYC, San Diego(or LA either), Philly, Dallas, Chicago, Miami, etc. Big markets tend to have vast numbers of corporate tickets, PSLs, etc. which tend to shift the focus from who is sitting in the seats around you, to your individual seat itself. In fact, I have shocked and awed many non-Bills fans by inviting them: they say the experience is like night/day. When they attend their team's games, they sit in traffic, park and go into the game almost immediately. They rarely speak to anyone around them. They leave, sit in traffic and go home. Then...they come to Buffalo. :lol: I throw a Bills hat/jersey on them, and introduce them to my crew. But beyond my crew, it's like they have new, close friends, all around them, for the whole day. At the Big Tree after a game, one of my colleagues asked, after she, another colleague, and I had been speaking with 4 other Bills fans for about 10 minutes, if we knew each other. We all smiled: "Nope!". Mind blown.

Thus, given the clans, however defined, the unique game day experience, and the hanging out with total strangers: unbreakable traditions lead to unbreakable bonds, not only with the team, but with the clan, that supports the team and each other.

In my case, one side of my extended family has attended a Bills game together, every year, since I was 5. The only acceptable excuses for missing this game are: military service, a child being born within 1 week of it, being literally in the hospital, or death. I have hellishly flown/driven to ensure I attend, many times. So, yeah, I was always going to be a Bills fan. When I was a toddler in Korea, pre-schooler in lots of different posts, having no idea what the Bills even were: I was told I was a Bills fan.

For many of us, that's just the way it is. Then the personal experiences and memories begin, and that's the way it stays.

Don't compare Packers and Steelers fans to Bills fans... That has nothing to do with family or the city. They are no different than Dallas or the Giants. I'm not sure why you're down playing San Diego. They seemed to have some really loyal fans.... 

12 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

That describes my older siblings (and my dad). By the time I was old enough to understand football, the Bills existed, they had a great running back, and they had red, white, & blue uniforms, so here I am.

I grew up in Rochester, born in 1960 so the 70’s is when I really was growing up. I was always a diehard Bills fan probably mostly because my parents were. However, I didn’t know any other Bills fans. My best friends were Dolphin fans. Others I knew were Cowboy fans.

When the Bills finally got good in the late 80’s, I think all of that changed but there still are many fans of other teams in Rochester.I remember leaving a friend’s apartment after the 51-3 drubbing of the Raiders. I had some kind of car trouble. A kid was outside and talking to me while I was trying to start my car, he was around 10 years old, lived his whole life in Rochester and was a Raiders fan.

I’m from Niagara Falls and always been a Bills fan. I have lived around Knoxville Tennessee for about 8 years now. Most don’t even follow pro football here it’s all about college and the Tennessee Vols, not even the titans. When you tell people you moved from New York it’s always New York City, 99% don’t even recognize there’s a whole state or even know buffalo or Niagara Falls are actual cities. 

On 4/9/2018 at 3:51 AM, Ol Dirty B said:

Don't compare Packers and Steelers fans to Bills fans... That has nothing to do with family or the city. They are no different than Dallas or the Giants. I'm not sure why you're down playing San Diego. They seemed to have some really loyal fans.... 

How many Packers, Steelers, Chiefs, and San Diego games have you attended?

For that matter, how many Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Jets, Dolfags, or Bears games have you attended?

(IF you're not smart enough to see you're being set up here...I'll just tell you: you're being set up.)

Edited by OCinBuffalo

On 4/8/2018 at 6:28 PM, Another Fan said:

Will that guarantee pretty much 100% you'll be a Bills fan?  I was in Philly today and everyone had on Eagles gear.  Okay sure it's easier to like a team that's just won a Super Bowl, but someone born and raised in Philly who grows up to be a Cowboys fans seems a little out of the ordinary.  Plus Acme will give you discounts on your food groceries on game days if you wear Eagles gear to the store.

Growing up in NJ in the heart of Giants/Jets country, it doesn't guarantee you'll be a fan of either team.  Those two teams for the most part are the most popular here but there's scatterings of other teams fans here as well.  Cowboys, Dolphins, Steelers, and bandwagon Patriots fans are well represented here.  Then I root for the Bills. 

I imagine other teams in Buffalo aren't well represented fanwise...

I don't think it is so much WHERE you grow up but rather WHO you grow up with!

Sometimes I feel sorry for these baby's pictured in all Bills gear. HaHa They are being bonded with a team of which they had no choice.

Of course that sympathy was born of 17 years of mediocrity and being hopelessly stuck as a diehard fan - Go Bills!