Lamar Jackson at 22?

Lamer Jackson QB at pick 22 poll  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Lamar Jackson at 22? Please vote

• Yes! Good value and overlooked.
    • No! Not that high. He is Tyrod 2.0

Just now, What a Tuel said:

I am thinking more the Giants, or the Colts when they had the opportunity. If they don't have a plan and now are relying on the Giants and can't get it done, then it was a very big failure to let the Jets jump ahead.

I agree 100% 

but for the sake of playing the devils advocate ,

Maybe the Colts we’re not willing to move all the way down to #12 , maybe moving down 3 spots the Colts believe they can still get they’re guy and they got 3 second round picks , 

what I think happened is while we were looking for a partner to move up closer in the top 10 , the Jets just beat us to it !!!

35 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Jackson over Darnold? 

See this is why the draft is maddening because there's probably a significant chance you're right.    It's almost a total crapshoot. 

I just don't see it with darnold.  That wind up and release is a pass rushers dream, the turnovers are concerning, and I was not impressed whenever I watched him.

Caveat though I'm not a pro, won't pretend to be, and have been wrong many many times lol.  Just my personal ranking, which to your point, could be right could be wrong.

I think Jackson's issues are more easily correctable than Allen or darnold which is why I have him 3rd.

Just now, Putin said:

I agree 100% 

but for the sake of playing the devils advocate ,

Maybe the Colts we’re not willing to move all the way down to #12 , maybe moving down 3 spots the Colts believe they can still get they’re guy and they got 3 second round picks , 

what I think happened is while we were looking for a partner to move up closer in the top 10 , the Jets just beat us to it !!!

Yeah, that could be. I was thinking maybe they could have traded up to 7 and then to 3 to get the colts a little closer to where they wanted to be. Maybe they ran out of time. I just know that at this point they better have a plan or be ready to outsmart the rest of the teams with the 4th/5th QB choice. Otherwise the same people who don't want them to move up for a QB bc it costs too much will be getting their pitchforks out bc Beane failed to acquire a QB.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Yeah, that could be. I was thinking maybe they could have traded up to 7 and then to 3 to get the colts a little closer to where they wanted to be. Maybe they ran out of time. I just know that at this point they better have a plan or be ready to outsmart the rest of the teams with the 4th/5th QB choice. Otherwise the same people who don't want them to move up for a QB bc it costs too much will be getting their pitchforks out bc Beane failed to acquire a QB.

That is exactly what I’m thinking 7 would have been a good spot to move up to make that deal ( at least) with the Colts if Giants are staying put at 2 !

51 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

if they don't get one of the top 4 QB's then this is a huge failure by the McBeane admiinstration

Jackson is the QB in this draft that in my opinion is gonna be the one best remembered for success.

Darnold will be a solid starter with a Matt Ryan ceiling Kirk Cousins/Andy Dalton floor.  He can take a well built team to a super bowl and I believe he will do very well in Cleveland.

Allen will be a boom or bust type, special arm talent much like Jeff George but may not have the intangibles to go as far as his arm could take him.  His ceiling is Dan Marino and floor is Jeff George.  I believe Arizona trades up to the 4th pick and grabs him and hopefully develops.

Mayfield is an intriguing prospect, magnetic personality, very accurate and highly motivated to win.  Can move and is a playmaker.  Believe he'll make play outside the pocket and at times be spectacular.  Ceiling is Drew Brees and floor is Tim Tebow.  Think he will be a solid starter with the Miami Dolphins.

Josh Rosen is the clsssic boom or bust guy.  Great arm talent and if he avoids injury and becomes a great team leader he is a potential franchise guy with a ceiling of Ben Rothlisberger.  His floor is an injury prone short career like Jake Locker.  Believe he will QB the Jets and fail due to lack of talent around him.

I believe that the Bills sprint to the podium with Jacksons name on the card when they pick at 12.  In 2018 he gets a series or two each game in special packages created by Daboll.  If McCaren crashes and burns as the starter Jackson will be the starter by mid-season.  I expect some struggles at the beginning and may need a full year to develop into a top tier exciting starter.  Ceiling is Michael Vick/Fran Tarkington with everything needed to lead the team to a Super Bowl title.  The floor is a Kordel Stewart type who could fail at QB and be turned into a WR.

If you like him you don't wait for him at 22. You trade up to 16. Remember when Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley traded DOWN for a QB? That was as dumb as it gets and betrayed how they really felt about Manuel. If you dont like a QB enough to trade up for him you shouldn't be drafting him in the first place.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If you like him you don't wait for him at 22. You trade up to 16. Remember when Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley traded DOWN for a QB? That was as dumb as it gets and betrayed how they really felt about Manuel. If you dont like a QB enough to trade up for him you shouldn't be drafting him in the first place.

They should have traded down again with the offers they received. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, kdiggz said:

... I would have accurately selected many franchise QB's over the years.  you have to be willing to just go for it when you see one.  i'd argue that being professionals gives them a disadvantage because they are scared they will be wrong and lose their jobs.

I do not necessarily disagree with the fear of losing their jobs part.  Also,  I do not personally know you...  You seem to know a lot about football.  However,  I too have picked HoF caliber players I wanted the Bills to grab BUT I also point out my draft busts as well. Anyhow,  good luck and have fun guessing the draft game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I don't want him because I don't want the fighting.

All we have done for 20 years is fight about the quarterback.

I want somebody who can pass the ball better than the rest. We have always had a "yeah but". Always something that supposedly offsets that they dont pass well enough.

Trent Edwards had "poise". He was very poised. JP had a "cannon". Couldn't aim it. But wow he was strong. Also we didn't need a good Oline with JP beccause he was nimble. They actually said that. Sound familiar?Fitz was smart. When you are that smart you dont have to throw real well. Ej had "potential" and "The It Factor".

Thad Lewis...well I think they were just honest mostly about him. We couldn't get anybody else so we got Thad. 

So how about this time we get somebody who fits the job description? Is that too much to ask?

If this board was around when Kelly was playing, there would have been a contingent of people that didn’t like his arm arrogance and wanted Reich to play because of his few good games of relief pitching.

There would’ve been folks wanting him to continue starting through the playoffs after the comeback. 

Trade offs with EVERYONE.  

and if they move up to get one, that’s their cross to bear right out of the gate, a la Sammy and Hitner

2 hours ago, kdiggz said:

sorry but I would have accurately selected many franchise QB's over the years.  you have to be willing to just go for it when you see one.  

<_<

So, who are this year's franchise QBs, Swami?  

If you are so sure, why would any other team trade with us?  As far as I could tell, Browns and Jets need a QB; a good case could be made that Eli might only have one more year with the Giants, Denver wouldn't be shy, etc. 

It's what I love about sports, political and economic punditry, there is no accountability, no consequences. For each front office, their very livelihood is on the line, that's a pretty good incentive to do what they  believe is right.  

As for me, I have faith that McBeane will do what's best for the team and will reserve judgement until the end of next season.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, kdiggz said:

if they don't get one of the top 4 QB's then this is a huge failure by the McBeane admiinstration

You don’t think Jackson is in the big 4? Wow. 

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Dont overreach please!!!!!

Say no to Tyrod Taylor 2.0 

Just stop.  You repeatedly keep driving this narrative when it’s so false.  

Edited by Rad Likes The Bills

I don't see this guy ever learning how to read a defense. I see him getting hit hard from running because he won't trust fitting throws into tight windows. I really want nothing to to with Jackson, I know he is going to be the type of QB that makes one read and takes off running. Waste of a 1st rd or 2 rd pick, I'm hoping the Jets take him at 3.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

38 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

<_<

So, who are this year's franchise QBs, Swami?  

If you are so sure, why would any other team trade with us?  As far as I could tell, Browns and Jets need a QB; a good case could be made that Eli might only have one more year with the Giants, Denver wouldn't be shy, etc. 

It's what I love about sports, political and economic punditry, there is no accountability, no consequences. For each front office, their very livelihood is on the line, that's a pretty good incentive to do what they  believe is right.  

As for me, I have faith that McBeane will do what's best for the team and will reserve judgement until the end of next season.  

Same reason Bills didn't go after Drew Brees when he left San Diego or trade up in the draft for Andrew Luck, Carson Wentz, Jameis Winston, etc etc. Everyone knows the stars when they see them so I'm not some swami or fortune teller, but they are scared to pull the trigger for whatever reason. Because they don't want to be wrong, feel like they have too many other holes on the roster, who knows. To me it's all about the QB. Josh Rosen is that guy this year. I've been saying it since 2016. Do whatever it takes to get him. They won't. In 5 yrs remember the crazy guy on the Bills forum that told you that and then look at whatever excuse the McBeanes give for not getting him and it will all make sense

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I don't see this guy ever learning how to read a defense. I see him getting hit hard from running because he won't trust fitting throws into tight windows. I really want nothing to to with Jackson, I know he is going to be the type of QB that makes one read and takes off running. Waste of a 1st rd or 2 rd pick, I'm hoping the Jets take him at 3.

Thats what an anonymous Clemson coach thinks.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2686554-lamar-jackson-has-no-shot-at-playing-in-the-nfl-says-acc-coach.amp.html

Just now, Teddy KGB said:

How would you compare to him to Kirk Cousins at Mich State ? 

Similar level prospect or worse ?

Truthfully, I don’t remember what Cousins was like at Michigan State. If I remember correctly, didn’t they run more of a pro style offense?

12 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

I have watched so many games of all these QB's my head hurts. I don't see Beanie or McD picking Jackson so I'm not really worried. He is going to be the player that drops in this draft and will be the guy Kiper talks about after every pick. I would draft Falk, White, Litton, Lauretta and Rudolph over Jackson easily.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Honestly, if that were the case and you really want him then just take him at 12. Don't play around. Get the guy you want.

This.

You don't mess around with the QB position. You don't take a QB in the first wound, regardless of pick number, just to take one. Taking a QB in the first round automatically comes with long term commitment (three years at minimum). So if you like a QB in the first round just take him with the first chance you have which for us it at #12.

29 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Truthfully, I don’t remember what Cousins was like at Michigan State. If I remember correctly, didn’t they run more of a pro style offense?

Idk, just remember he looked solid like Rudolph and people crapped on him over arm strength. 

5 hours ago, BrycePaup4ever said:

Sounds like Rudolph in the second might be a better value.

This team needs a top notch QB and I dont think Rudolph is it imo. This isnt the time to bargain shop and hope. I think at 12 we take our guy and keep the rest of our picks. So many holes we need every pick right now.

4 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

No more project QBs please.   

They are all projects to more or less of an extent.

Just now, billsfan_34 said:

This team needs a top notch QB and I dont think Rudolph is it imo. This isnt the time to bargain shop and hope. I think at 12 we take our guy and keep the rest of our picks. So many holes we need every pick right now.

I'm not sure that Rudolph won't be better than Jackson or Allen.  I like Mayfield a lot, but I don't think he will be available at 12.  If he is on the board after Denver's pick, I hope that they can swing a deal to move up for him, but I wouldn't give up 12,22, and next year's 1st to move to 6 for him.  If they could get to 6 for 12, 53 and 96, I would do that.