Previously the "Convince me Allen won't suck" thread, now the... "you're welcome" thread

14 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I've stated my piece. Allen's college production historically wouldn't warrant top 10 consideration. Those like him who have been drafted in the top half of the 1st round have failed consistently. You need to go back 39 years to Phil Simms to find a guy in this project QB underwhelming college production mold who went on to be a Franchise QB.

I'm over that argument. I think Allen very well could be a very unique case. And I'm certainly hoping he is :thumbsup:

Glad you came around.

You came off half-cocked and grossly uninformed previously. 

9 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Glad you came around.

You came off half-cocked and grossly uninformed previously. 

Kinda have to come around... I'm a Bills fan. He's my QB now.

I like the kid. He's humble, yet confident and has a chip on his shoulder that he wears positively, unlike Rosen. He's a physical monster in terms of stature and skill set.

What has me coming around on him the most is his football acumen. 

For all these reasons, I'm hoping he will and thinking he can break a trend that's been real for the last 39 years. That trend is the primary reason I didn't want to draft him. That trend exists, and it's not something I was grossly uninformed about. But looking into the kid, I think he can break it.

• Like (+1) 2

Seems like because of the common coaching people think Wentz and Allen some how had comparable college careers. 

Wentz stats:

Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career North Dakota State         392 612 64.1 5115 8.4 8.8 45 14 153.9
2012 North Dakota State MVC FR QB 8 12 16 75.0 144 9.0 11.5 2 0 191.9
2013 North Dakota State MVC SO QB 11 22 30 73.3 209 7.0 7.6 1 0 142.9
2014 North Dakota State MVC JR QB 16 228 358 63.7 3111 8.7 8.8 25 10 154.1
2015 North Dakota State MVC SR QB 7 130 208 62.5 1651 7.9 8.7 17 4 152.3

Allen Stats:

Passing
Career Wyoming         365 649 56.2 5066 7.8 7.7 44 21 137.7
2015 Wyoming MWC SO QB 2 4 6 66.7 51 8.5 8.5 0 0 138.1
*2016 Wyoming MWC SO QB 14 209 373 56.0 3203 8.6 8.3 28 15 144.9
*2017 Wyoming MWC JR QB 11 152 270 56.3 1812 6.7 6.9 16 6 127.8

Rather than summoning everyone else to run around and convince you, I'd suggest you actually watch him a couple of his games. There is zero doubt in my mind that 70% of the people on this board whining about drafting Allen have watched more than a single highlight or lowlight package of his throws.The truth of the matter is there are maybe 8-10 guys on this board who actually watch tape, the rest of the board just cherry pick their favorite draft analysts and parrot those opinions as if they are things they came up with on their own.  

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Seems like because of the common coaching people think Wentz and Allen some how had comparable college careers. 

Wentz stats:

Allen Stats:

Passing

Those are actually pretty similar. Especially yards, YPA, and TDs. The only difference is completion percentage. You have to remember though Wentz had a much easier job playing for a dominant div 2 program. 

3 minutes ago, billspro said:

Those are actually pretty similar. Especially yards, YPA, and TDs. The only difference is completion percentage. You have to remember though Wentz had a much easier job playing for a dominant div 2 program. 

YPA (not calculated) is vastly different. 

57 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Wentz stats:

Allen Stats:

Passing

In 15 less games Allen has 49 less yards 1 less Td.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/22/2018 at 5:40 AM, JoeF said:

The big take-away from his coach's viewpoint, for me, was that because of his big arm, defenses will have to cover virtually the entire field.  That being the case, that will really lend itself to a successful running game, too, with defenses having to respect the deep ball and the safety not being able to cheat much against the run.  Having to cover so much of the field will wear defenses down over time.  If and when Allen takes over the starting role, this factor could make for some big 4th quarter scoring for Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, billspro said:

Whats interesting is this year

2015 Wyoming MWC SO QB 2 4 6 66.7  

66.7% completion percentage.

If a player is inaccurate they normally remain that way. Not the case here.

What happened in 2015 that was different?  Coaching? Players? Different scheme?

42 minutes ago, dlonce said:

Whats interesting is this year

2015 Wyoming MWC SO QB 2 4 6 66.7  

66.7% completion percentage.

If a player is inaccurate they normally remain that way. Not the case here.

What happened in 2015 that was different?  Coaching? Players? Different scheme?

Lol 6 attempts

• Haha (+1) 2

No one knows what Allen's ceiling is going to be, but imagine if we had drafted our QB in the 3rd or 4th round. People would be asking why we didn't draft Allen when we had the chance. Also, everyone seems to forget he's only a junior. Edmunds is 19. We may have to wait a bit to see how good both of them are. Patience.

• Like (+1) 2

Do some research and if you still don't like him then wait until he plays and then criticize his performance or praise it.  If you can't get over some stats of his for only two years of playing then that's your problem.

I love the kid and am convinced that Beane, McD also fell in love for obvious reasons aside from the physical standpoint. Allen has such as great work ethic, great temperament, blue-collar type who played in the snow, cold and wind in Wyoming. With no real experienced talent around him, he carried a team to an 8-5 record and won a bowl game. His intangibles are off the charts. 

I think Josh Allen was their guy from day one and not only did they get the best QB in the draft they also got the best linebacker both in the first round. Beane killed it! 

Craig Bohl his HC at Wyoming shared an anecdote about Allen in a scrimmage. They had called a play with a pass to the fullback in the flat and instead, Allen threw a 65-yard rope for a TD. His coach said, Josh, what are ya doing? Allen replied "Farve says touchdowns first" joking of course. Bohl went on to say that he loves Allen. loves him, loves him to death.

He also said he would see Josh out there playing during a game and would think to himself "oh no" here comes a sack and the next thing he knows its a frozen rope for a TD.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Rather than summoning everyone else to run around and convince you, I'd suggest you actually watch him a couple of his games. There is zero doubt in my mind that 70% of the people on this board whining about drafting Allen have watched more than a single highlight or lowlight package of his throws.The truth of the matter is there are maybe 8-10 guys on this board who actually watch tape, the rest of the board just cherry pick their favorite draft analysts and parrot those opinions as if they are things they came up with on their own.  

Hey bro... try calming down a bit.

I'll say this again... you're in luck... I despised the Allen pick when it happened... that's going to bode well for Allen's success.

Seriously, we've all established I have terrible taste in QBs, right?

I liked Edwards and thought he could have been a legit Franchise QB for waaaaaayyyyy too long... 

I liked Fitz and thought he could have been our long term answer at QB for waaaaaayyyy too long... 

I liked Manuel and thought he had a chance to be a legit Franchise QB for waaaaaayyyyy too long... 

I liked Taylor and thought he could have been a legit Franchise QB for waaaaaayyyyy too long... 

Well, I seriously loathed this pick the moment Goodell said "Allen" rather than "Rosen." I threw my phone... seriously. Luckily, I have a flip phone and those things are TANKS!!! 

His tweets that surfaced the night before made me dislike him even more. I saw the Buffalo trade up to #7 and soooOOOOOooooo expected it to be Rosen. 

It wasn't. I was massively wrong. And here was my reaction the moment it happened 
tenor.gif?itemid=5651055

I'm using a meme... and I hate memes... that's how much I hated the pick when it happened.

(and when I saw the Browns draft Mayfield at #1, I really kinda thought Darnold would fall to #4, so when the Jets drafted him...tenor.gif?itemid=5002226) 

Anyway, I have a history of being massively wrong about my overall like of QBs in a Buffalo Bills uniform. 

I'm already growing to really like Allen because I'm a Bills fan and am purely a fan of my team, secondarily the players on my team, but stuff like this:

and this:

And the explanation for his tweets.

And the Waldman film breakdown HappyDays posted as a thread.

And some of the Jordan Palmer and Trent Dilfer discussions about him on the Rich Eisen show

Have all been making me feel better about him.

I still have my doubts and think he's far from a sure thing. But I believe he stands a much better chance of turning into a Franchise QB than I did Thursday afternoon.

But that's also a bit of the homer in me, right? :flirt:

So, take solace. I was super sick about us drafting Allen initially... he's going to be AWESOME for us!!!

Let's just all hope I haven't jinxed him :blink:

2 hours ago, Lfod said:

You still thought Tyrod was going to be on the team this season even after he was benched. That should convince you of something. 

See above post :flirt:

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 3

On 3/22/2018 at 4:00 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

Seriously.

I know that people here really believe in him... why?

Plenty of past NFL players have been drafted for physical potential (Ryan Leaf, RG3, Jamarcus Russell, Blaine Gabbert, Blake Bortles, etc) and have simply flamed out. 

I've never seen a college QB so devoid of college production being propped up this much based off of what I can only believe to be purely physical potential.

It's head scratching and infuriating because this guy looks like a project 2nd or 3rd round QB at best, to me.

What are people focused on? Throws he can make??? Haven't we had enough of these project QBs that are "balls of clay" for us to mold?

There's something I'm missing.

What is it?

I know there isn't a single QB in the NFL HOF with his forgettable production from a second-rate college football program like Wyoming. Is he supposedly going to break that trend?

What the hell... someone explain this to me so I can get behind him sooner rather than later if we draft him...

hopefully, we don't.

Ryan leaf and Jamarcus Russell were not only drafted because of physical traits, and they flamed out due to work ethic. RG3 was not only picked because of his physical traits, and flamed out due to his injury. Bortles was not some physically gifted stud he didn't ever have elite arm strength not even close to the same player. Gabbert was in a weak qb draft class and played in a spread offense but is the only guy on the list with some comparable traits, he still is not on the same level as Allen when it comes to potential and it's a shame he had to play on all those terrible Jags teams.

1 hour ago, BuffaloSol said:

Ryan leaf and Jamarcus Russell were not only drafted because of physical traits, and they flamed out due to work ethic. RG3 was not only picked because of his physical traits, and flamed out due to his injury. Bortles was not some physically gifted stud he didn't ever have elite arm strength not even close to the same player. Gabbert was in a weak qb draft class and played in a spread offense but is the only guy on the list with some comparable traits, he still is not on the same level as Allen when it comes to potential and it's a shame he had to play on all those terrible Jags teams.

No one's ever been drafted only because of physical traits.

You're vastly oversimplifying just because you apparently want to argue.

On 3/22/2018 at 4:00 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

Seriously.

Plenty of past NFL players have been drafted for physical potential (Ryan Leaf, RG3, Jamarcus Russell, Blaine Gabbert, Blake Bortles, etc) and have simply flamed out. 

I've never seen a college QB so devoid of college production being propped up this much based off of what I can only believe to be purely physical potential.

It's head scratching and infuriating because this guy looks like a project 2nd or 3rd round QB at best, to me.

What are people focused on? Throws he can make??? Haven't we had enough of these project QBs that are "balls of clay" for us to mold?

What is it?

I know there isn't a single QB in the NFL HOF with his forgettable production from a second-rate college football program like Wyoming. Is he supposedly going to break that trend?

What the hell... someone explain this to me so I can get behind him sooner rather than later if we draft him...

hopefully, we don't.

Why must anyone convince you of anything? Absolutely no one knows how Allen will turn out. We can hope that he'll  br great or we can think he'll be bad, but it could take a couple years to find out. Keep in mind a guy named Goff who stunk in 2016 only to play great in 2017. Only time will tell.

30 minutes ago, Foxx said:

as transplant himself has said, it is a good thing that he doesn't like Allen. this can only mean that we have the best qb, not only in the draft, but quite possibly the league.

:D

I look forward to his many many threads in the future telling us how Allen has no real issues throwing in the short, short middle, middle, long middle ...areas of the filed.......and how we under value our QB every chance we have.....

47 minutes ago, Foxx said:

as transplant himself has said, it is a good thing that he doesn't like Allen. this can only mean that we have the best qb, not only in the draft, but quite possibly the league.

:D

Exactly!!!  :thumbsup:

I'll gladly take it for the team if it means Allen turns into a Franchise QB  :beer:

On March 22, 2018 at 4:00 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

Seriously.

What is it?

hopefully, we don't.

Sadly, you are missing precisely NOTHING.

The real gut punch here is not going to be the failure of Allen, but the success of Rosen.

We could have had him!

You watch these videos, and it's nearly impossible to not love the kid as a person. I have my reservations, but I'm hopeful...and I remain resolute in my support of any Rookie coming onto the Bills team (that hasn't committed a crime or done something truly harmful), so I'm going to hope beyond hope that the Bills develop him properly and that he takes the league by storm once they deem him ready. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BigBuff423 said:

You watch these videos, and it's nearly impossible to not love the kid as a person. I have my reservations, but I'm hopeful...and I remain resolute in my support of any Rookie coming onto the Bills team (that hasn't committed a crime or done something truly harmful), so I'm going to hope beyond hope that the Bills develop him properly and that he takes the league by storm once they deem him ready. 

I guess that's not including the racist/white supremacist leanings, am I right?

:lol:

:thumbdown:

3 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

Why must anyone convince you of anything? Absolutely no one knows how Allen will turn out. We can hope that he'll  br great or we can think he'll be bad, but it could take a couple years to find out. Keep in mind a guy named Goff who stunk in 2016 only to play great in 2017. Only time will tell.

You don't have to convince me of anything.

I'm good.  And you're welcome.

Changed the title just for those of you who haven't caught up to the fact that I no longer need convincing anymore.  Thanks, though :flirt:

Just now, Fadingpain said:

I guess that's not including the racist/white supremacist leanings, am I right?

:lol:

:thumbdown:

So, basically you're not paying attention?? Did you see the discussion Stephen A. had regarding the Tweets? Did you see how he took ownership for saying / Tweeting dumb, and juvenile things when he was, well...a juvenile?

He could have taken the road that fully explained how those Tweets were references to pop culture, but he didn't. He simply said he was "young and dumb", and that's not even the whole story but he didn't make any excuse or justification.....even though he legit could!! So, rose above and took the high road. Second, I don't know how old you are and I'm not asking, but someone like myself, had Facebook and Twitter and Snapchat been around when I was a teenager, holy fricken cow would my life have been a mess! I can honestly tell you I made some seriously terrible mistakes...horrible mistakes, but I learned from them. I'm guessing he did too. Maybe you're the only person to ever live to not have skeletons in their closet....cool Bruh, the monastery is up the hill next to the cross, pack a lunch and take your meds, you'll need them....but for everyone else, we understand what it means to be youthful and selfish.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1