House Money: Why Beane will trade up & you should be fine with it

Anything BUT house money. Those were OUR assets we gave up in order to acquire that additional draft capital; our investment in time and money on the players traded. No house money involved.

• Like (+1) 1

Ok, so let's say tomorrow the Bills trade 5 picks to get to #2. Then, on 4/26 with the #2 we select say Allen or Jackson as they are the Bills #1 prospect or "their guy". Will people be able to live with that?

Heads will explode on draft day. 

Just because you want them to draft up to #2 and even if they do it will guarantee nothing. Whomever we draft this year I hope our fan base gives them a fair shake. But, I see the threads already after 2 starts "We should have drafted QB x as our QBx sucks"

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The draft capital we'll give up is house money, even if it's all the way up to the Giants' #2 pick.

(Obviously all of this is merely opinion :flirt: ... I apologize for adding one more thread to a seemingly inundated and frustrated board)

Our #12 pick was the result of swapping 1sts and trading away a player who may have played well for this team in years past but almost never saw the field (did he ever?) in 2017, our first playoff year in 17 years as a rookie filled in capably for the year and will only get better.

Our #22 pick was from KC last year in our trade down in the 1st where we acquired a guy in Tre White who probably should have been in the pro bowl conversation if not the pro bowl itself.

One of our 2nd rounders was acquired trading away a talented but oft-injured WR who then wasn't even resigned by the same team who traded for him. And based on Sammy's new salary with KC, he wouldn't be with the Bills even if McDermott exercised his 5th year rookie option.

One of our 3rd rounders... the 1st one in the 3rd round, was acquired by trading away a QB that there was absolutely no long term plan on and filled in his slot with a QB who is at least capable of competing for the starting QB job at less than 1/3rd the cost of the guy we just traded away.

We take those 4 picks, all "house money," and trade them all to the Giants for the #2 pick to grab Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield (please GOD not Allen!!!) and Beane still has all of Buffalo's original picks with a pick in all the remaining rounds other than the 7th.

And before you say that cost isn't realistic, if you take a look at the Jimmy Johnson draft chart, I think you'll find different:

#12 = 1200 points 

#22 = 780 points 

#53 = 370 points 

#65 = 265 points 

Grand total = 2615 points 

#2 pick = 2600 points

So we're giving away picks Beane has been shrewdly acquiring, not picks we were already going to naturally possess. Now, perhaps it's going to take one more pick like a 2nd rounders next year to sweeten the pot a little, but maybe not. 

And that's in trading up to #2, which I believe is the highest we're going. Imagine if we wait until draft day and see a guy we want fall to #4 with the Browns or #6 with the Colts... it'll cost less and we'll still get our QB.

I'm a little baffled that some are complaining about the idea of giving up draft picks, even if it ensures McBeane can get "their guy." 

I view this as the most important draft we've seen since maybe 1983 because we know with almost 100% certainty that the intent is to draft the guy who's going to be our QB for the next 10-15+ years.

We can do that in a very strong QB draft class... and we can do it with house money :thumbsup:

You regurgitate Mike Schopp quite well, you should at least credit him.

25 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

I made the same thread, only I dumbed it down in 2 simple sentences... & everyone act like it was a joke...smh. 

sounds like you tossed out your opinion, but there was already a much more appropriate space on the board for it in another thread.  What the OP posted would have been less appropriate in an existing thread because of its length and details.

Edited by Steve Billieve
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Ok, so let's say tomorrow the Bills trade 5 picks to get to #2. Then, on 4/26 with the #2 we select say Allen or Jackson as they are the Bills #1 prospect or "their guy". Will people be able to live with that?

Just because you want them to draft up to #2 and even if they do it will guarantee nothing. Whomever we draft this year I hope our fan base gives them a fair shake. But, I see the threads already after 2 starts "We should have drafted QB x as our QBx sucks"

At this point people here can not agree on the top 3 or top 2.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The draft capital we'll give up is house money, even if it's all the way up to the Giants' #2 pick.

(Obviously all of this is merely opinion :flirt: ... I apologize for adding one more thread to a seemingly inundated and frustrated board)

Our #12 pick was the result of swapping 1sts and trading away a player who may have played well for this team in years past but almost never saw the field (did he ever?) in 2017, our first playoff year in 17 years as a rookie filled in capably for the year and will only get better.

Our #22 pick was from KC last year in our trade down in the 1st where we acquired a guy in Tre White who probably should have been in the pro bowl conversation if not the pro bowl itself.

One of our 2nd rounders was acquired trading away a talented but oft-injured WR who then wasn't even resigned by the same team who traded for him. And based on Sammy's new salary with KC, he wouldn't be with the Bills even if McDermott exercised his 5th year rookie option.

One of our 3rd rounders... the 1st one in the 3rd round, was acquired by trading away a QB that there was absolutely no long term plan on and filled in his slot with a QB who is at least capable of competing for the starting QB job at less than 1/3rd the cost of the guy we just traded away.

We take those 4 picks, all "house money," and trade them all to the Giants for the #2 pick to grab Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield (please GOD not Allen!!!) and Beane still has all of Buffalo's original picks with a pick in all the remaining rounds other than the 7th.

And before you say that cost isn't realistic, if you take a look at the Jimmy Johnson draft chart, I think you'll find different:

#12 = 1200 points 

#22 = 780 points 

#53 = 370 points 

#65 = 265 points 

#2 pick = 2600 points

So we're giving away picks Beane has been shrewdly acquiring, not picks we were already going to naturally possess. Now, perhaps it's going to take one more pick like a 2nd rounders next year to sweeten the pot a little, but maybe not. 

And that's in trading up to #2, which I believe is the highest we're going. Imagine if we wait until draft day and see a guy we want fall to #4 with the Browns or #6 with the Colts... it'll cost less and we'll still get our QB.

I'm a little baffled that some are complaining about the idea of giving up draft picks, even if it ensures McBeane can get "their guy." 

I view this as the most important draft we've seen since maybe 1983 because we know with almost 100% certainty that the intent is to draft the guy who's going to be our QB for the next 10-15+ years.

We can do that in a very strong QB draft class... and we can do it with house money :thumbsup:

Totally agree. It's seemed starting at last years draft a cache of ammo was being collected. Most dont even realize the gravity of the picks singly (myself included and id imagine most pro trade up pov) on their own bc theyve always just been ammo. Based on just the fact we may never have that along with multiple potential big talent (and of course the house that could fit inside next yrs cap) makes it a once in however long opportunity to 'sell the farm'  and not actually feel any repercussions (except possibly winning) past next yr if that 1st or 2nd has to be added. I hope the LOVE a guy who isn't the same as the browns bc if there ever was a time... It's now!!

Edited by gobills1212

I don't understand the term house money.  Money is money.  It doesn't matter where it comes from, what matters is how you spend it.  Those monies / draft picks can all go towards trading up on a possible franchise QB, or they can be used to draft several other players who are likely to be long term contributors on cheap rookie contracts for the team.

The question is which of those two options is best for the long term interest of the Buffalo Bills.  Where the draft picks came from is absolutely irrelevant and should have no bearing on how they are used. Those draft picks represent hard earned capital for our team and they need to be used wisely.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

25 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I don't understand the term house money.  Money is money.  It doesn't matter where it comes from, what matters is how you spend it.  Those monies / draft picks can all go towards trading up on a possible franchise QB, or they can be used to draft several other players who are likely to be long term contributors on cheap rookie contracts for the team.

The question is which of those two options is best for the long term interest of the Buffalo Bills.  Where the draft picks came from is absolutely irrelevant and should have no bearing on how they are used. Those draft picks represent hard earned capital for our team and they need to be used wisely.

Its not even really house money, the Bills had to give up valuable assets to get those picks. Those picks weren't just found or given to them just because

One of those picks involved giving up the only experienced QB on the roster

Another pick cost them a valuable starting OT (when healthy) to improve an existing pick

Another pick cost them the chance to already have that possible franchise QB on their roster in order to move down to a lower spot

Another Pick cost them Sammy Watkins

Another pick cost them Ron Darby

Another pick cost them Marcel Dareus

If you bought a $50k dollar car a couple of years ago and sold it no for $20k that you are going to use to buy something else with, say a house. Do you consider that House money or are you now willing to overpay for the house because you need a place to live and you want a new one?

14 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

No, there is not enough difference between QB2 and QB5.

For Sam Darnold, yes.

Even then, thats your opinion, you could probably find just as many people that agree with you saying that Darnold is the top guy who will say Rosen is the top guy, and probably just as many who might say Allen or Mayfield are the best guys available. No one is sure who is the top guy or the best one. All they know is that there are anywhere between 4-6 good ones, but no one that is a sure thing top pick.

Perhaps Jimmy Johnson's draft point chart, or some updated version of it has its uses, but it is not the only criteria to determining whether a trade up is "worth it."  More important might be where a team is in its rebuilding process.  The picks you give up to move up aren't just bargaining chips.  They represent potential players who could have five or even ten year careers on your team.  With six picks in the top 100, buffalo could conceivably end up with six starters, and even if not every pick ends up as a starter, those who don't could be quality depth and role players.  That's not necessarily a reason not to trade.  You have to judge what your team needs.  If you've got holes all over the place, you might be better off with six new starters than with a possible superstar and a couple lower level starters (because what you're left with would be third round picks).  Buffalo arguably could still stand a major upgrade at right tackle and right guard, but their major hole right now, outside of QB is linebacker.  Beane has used free agency well to patch up the D-line.  The question Beane will have to ask is if it is time not to go all in on the QB of the future and hope that Les Frazier can use a little smoke and mirrors to cover up the deficiencies in his linebacking corps, or he should build up the rest of the team and hope that the QB he picks a little later (Jackson, Rudolph, Lauletta, White or whoever), develops beyond expectations or that Daboll can work some magic and in the 2019 draft the right QB falls into our laps.  

There are advantages and disadvantages to both positions.  I'll let Brandon Beane try and figure it all out.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Anything BUT house money. Those were OUR assets we gave up in order to acquire that additional draft capital; our investment in time and money on the players traded. No house money involved.

An LT who never saw the field under McDermott and a QB & WR they inherited.

The reason they can see it as house money is because they hadn't invested in any of those guys and, if anything, probably felt hamstrung by them.

So not only did they unload them, they unloaded them for valuable draft capital.

For the same reason I'm sure Jerry Hughes is still in play.

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

Yes, I'll live with it, even if it's Allen, who I really don't want, because I'll trust that he's the guy McBeane truly believe in.

#processtrusted 

Edited by transplantbillsfan

It's definitely not house money. Assets such as Watkins, Cordy  Glenn were traded, there were opportunity costs associated w passing on QBs in 2017. I also believe that the draft chart will go by the wayside with the demand for QBs. The Jets overpaid by several hundred points on the chart. I think the Bills will have to do overpay a significant amount.  Especially  if trying to get to 2 from 12. That's IF the Giants spot at 2 is even available. Not having a top ten pick to offer is going to be VERY costly. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I'm going to trade my car for cash then buy lottery tickets with all that sweet house money!

Did you inherit your car from someone else?

Was it a car you just kinda had thrust upon you?

Was it a car that you really weren't all that excited about at all?

Do you have a spare car?

If you answered "yes" to all of the above, then go right ahead, although again, the lotto ticket analogy is a poor one. Instead, sell the car on Craigslist for whatever cash you can get and utilize that money for a down payment for a new car that will be a massive upgrade on that other car you really didn't invest in at all but also didn't really want :flirt:

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yes, I'll live with it, even if it's Allen, who I really don't want, because I'll trust that he's the guy McBeane truly believe in.

#processtrusted 

OK, that's fine and I agree with that 100% as well. For the record I want nothing to do with Josh Allen.

Did they really need to jump up to #2 using so much draft stock to do it though when 4 of these guys grade out almost the same?  

Best case for me, draft our QB somewhere between 12 and 7 and use 22 on a stud LB'er. 

Edited by Real McCoy

8 hours ago, K-9 said:

Very good point! I didn't think of it that way. We definitely gave up pur assets... yea... again great point!

10 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Having “house money” does not justify taking imprudent risks.  Say I won a thousand $ on a $2 scratch off.  That doesn’t mean that I should spend that thousand on more scratch offs.

Wtf... A QB is $5000 a week for life type of scratch off.

10 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Then it had better not happen. That would be highway robbery.

I don't know man.

If a team knows you are trading up for a QB......... you are overpaying.

Example........ remember when the Dolphins went from 12 to 3 to get Jordan. It only cost the Carp their second round pick that year.

Wel'll see how this plays out.

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

I don't know man.

If a team knows you are trading up for a QB......... you are overpaying.

Example........ remember when the Dolphins went from 12 to 3 to get Jordan. It only cost the Carp their second round pick that year.

Wel'll see how this plays out.

Uh ohh here we go with the "Overpay" bull **** agan.

To move up to #2  might  offer #12  ,  #22  ,   2019  #1   and a player if necessary. Maybe 2019 , 2nd rd also

The Bills need the remainder of 2018 picks  for needed players now. 

With all the cap space in 2019 from dead cap leaving , will have plenty of cap space for free agency to cover loss of 2019 #1.

Giants will have big time offers after Jets moved to #3. This could be the most important draft ever.

Edited by ALF

10 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I completely recognize that.  The reward is worth the risk.

The possibility also exists we keep all 5 picks and we draft 5 disappointments.  Any draft pick is a risk.

5 top picks that are all disappointments? That is highly unlikely. 

10 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Having “house money” does not justify taking imprudent risks.  Say I won a thousand $ on a $2 scratch off.  That doesn’t mean that I should spend that thousand on more scratch offs.

If you are suggesting trading up to get a franchise QB for the first time since Jim Kelly in a quality QB rich draft is an "imprudent risk" you are out of your f-ing mind.

No offense.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Wtf... A QB is $5000 a week for life type of scratch off.

A GREAT QB is that.  Blake Bortles and Jameis Winston or worse are FAR more likely than Brees, Brady or Rodgers (none of whom were actually drafted d at the very top of round 1).

Would people trade 3 1sts plus more for Jameis Winston?  Actually, how many current QBs would you really trade that much for?  I think Rodgers, Brady and Brees, maybe 1 or 2 more.

Edited by OldTimer1960

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Did you inherit your car from someone else?

Was it a car you just kinda had thrust upon you?

Was it a car that you really weren't all that excited about at all?

Do you have a spare car?

If you answered "yes" to all of the above, then go right ahead, although again, the lotto ticket analogy is a poor one. Instead, sell the car on Craigslist for whatever cash you can get and utilize that money for a down payment for a new car that will be a massive upgrade on that other car you really didn't invest in at all but also didn't really want :flirt:

Did we inherit Cordy Glenn? Did we inherit picks 21 and 22?  Were these players and picks thrust upon us?  Do we have spare or excess talent at the offensive tackle position? 

12 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

How is it house money when we gave up assets to acquire those picks?

Because the assets we gave up actually had zero value to us.

We gave up pick 10 last year to get pick 22 this year. But Tre White would have been a great pick even at 10. So we got a player worth 10th overall AND an additional 1st rounder. We gave up zero value to get pick 22.

Sammy was never going to re-sign here. After 2017 he had zero value to us. We got a 2nd rounder for zero value.

Glenn was gone no matter what. After drafting Dawkins and his injury he had zero value to us.

So I would say picks 22, 56, and 12 are house money. But we'll need to give up more than that to get pick 2.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, swnybillsfan said:

even if he is not a hall of famer or an all pro, he could be a top ten qb. and a top ten qb would be a wonderful thing to have. i just don't want to watch any more games where it looks like we are not even playing the same sport as the rest of the league. here's to hoping! :beer:

Yet we were better at it than 20 other teams.

16 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think the compensation is close. But we'll need to throw in a 2 next year. And I think it's going to have to be two separate trades. 12, 53, 65 to Indy for #6.

Then 6, 22, and a 2nd in '19 to NYG for #2.

What the Jets stupidly paid in current and future draft choices does not set the market. The difference between 12 Point value and 6 point value is 400 points.  I would give 12, 53 and our 5th to move to 6.  Not one thing more.

Worst case is Darnold, Rosen and Allen go 1,2,3.  Cleveland may trade out to Arizona at 4.  If they take Jackson, I stay at 12 and draft best player available and keep all of my picks.

i don't want Baker Mayfield as I see him with a much higher bust potential as a fit in Buffalo.

id rather take my LB at 12 and WR at 22, then if necessary trade one 2nd and one 3rd to move up and get Mason Rudolph.

7 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

OK, that's fine and I agree with that 100% as well. For the record I want nothing to do with Josh Allen.

Did they really need to jump up to #2 using so much draft stock to do it though when 4 of these guys grade out almost the same?  

Best case for me, draft our QB somewhere between 12 and 7 and use 22 on a stud LB'er. 

I'd love to only have to trade up to 7. And if 4 QBs grade out almost the same... okay then.

Daniel Jeremiah recently compared his top 10 prospects in the 2016-2018 drafts and he basically says the difference between Darnold, Wentzville, Goff, and Rosen is negligible and he puts Mayfield and Allen ahead of Watson and Trubisky.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922045/article/top-10-qb-prospects-of-past-3-nfl-draft-classes-darnold-no-1

So ya know what... if that's the case I'm still targeting Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield over Allen, but I'll eventually get excited about Allen's physical potential even if he doesn't have the college production the way Wentz or Big Ben or Flacco did at smaller schools against lesser competition even though that's what I think we should expect.

The problem is that even if we have those 4 guys graded out about the same, there's a good chance you're going to have to trade up to get one of them anyway because all 4 could be gone in the top 10.

7 hours ago, ALF said:

To move up to #2  might  offer #12  ,  #22  ,   2019  #1   and a player if necessary. Maybe 2019 , 2nd rd also

The Bills need the remainder of 2018 picks  for needed players now. 

With all the cap space in 2019 from dead cap leaving , will have plenty of cap space for free agency to cover loss of 2019 #1.

Giants will have big time offers after Jets moved to #3. This could be the most important draft ever.

You're seriously underpaying if you think that's how we get to #2.

I just think that won't get it done.

3 hours ago, wppete said:

I think this should do it:

#12 (2018)

#22 (2018)

2nd round pick (2018)

2nd round pick (2019)

3rd round pick (2018)

Draft Darnorld or Rosen at #2

Yeah I think that's about right. Might need to throw in a 4th rounder this year, though.

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

A GREAT QB is that.  Blake Bortles and Jameis Winston or worse are FAR more likely than Brees, Brady or Rodgers (none of whom were actually drafted d at the very top of round 1).

Would people trade 3 1sts plus more for Jameis Winston?  Actually, how many current QBs would you really trade that much for?  I think Rodgers, Brady and Brees, maybe 1 or 2 more.

A GM should do his HW and draft a QB in the top of the draft assuming, based on your scouting, that he's going to be a future HOFer. You don't refuse to go after that QB simply because the historical odds are he won't.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

4 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Yet we were better at it than 20 other teams.

indeed we were. we got a bunch of the lucky bounces and bad calls in our favor last year. the rest of the afc was down. we have a great running back. and tyrod taylor, while having his flaws, also has some strengths to his game. i also thought that the team as a whole really bought into what mcdermott was selling. but we also had some horrific offensive performances. and the qb was benched for a rookie that was completely exploited when thrown to the wolves, all because the offense was completely inept at times. i am ready to have fun watching this offense play football. 

22 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

#12 = 1200 points 

#22 = 780 points 

#53 = 370 points 

#65 = 265 points 

#2 pick = 2600 points

Either it was you or some other dude who stole your idea called Shope and Bulldog today.  Great points.  I think the Giants will draft a QB. I don't know why a lot of folks assume they will stick with almost 40 year old Eli much longer.  

Edited by Irv

8 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Did we inherit Cordy Glenn? Did we inherit picks 21 and 22?  Were these players and picks thrust upon us?  Do we have spare or excess talent at the offensive tackle position? 

Who's this "us" and "we" you're referring to as though we take part in what we should keep and not keep?

No, we didn't inherit Cordy Glenn, McDermott and Beane did.

And did they use him AT ALL last year? 

Can you, miss something you never really used?

Last year Dawkins and Mills we're our tackles and McDermott never ever knew an offense that consisted of Cordy Glenn as LT.

And we didn't inherit the 21st and 22nd pick, McDermott and Beane earned them when they traded down in the draft last year.

1 hour ago, Irv said:

Either it was you or some other dude who stole your idea called Shope and Bulldog today.  Great points.  I think the Giants will draft a QB. I don't know why a lot of folks assume they will stick with almost 40 year old Eli much longer.  

Someone else referenced Schopp in this thread... no, I definitely didn't call in I've never listened to him. I live 6,000 miles away from Buffalo.

Maybe he's a TBD member :flirt: