House Money: Why Beane will trade up & you should be fine with it

The draft capital we'll give up is house money, even if it's all the way up to the Giants' #2 pick.

(Obviously all of this is merely opinion :flirt: ... I apologize for adding one more thread to a seemingly inundated and frustrated board)

Our #12 pick was the result of swapping 1sts and trading away a player who may have played well for this team in years past but almost never saw the field (did he ever?) in 2017, our first playoff year in 17 years as a rookie filled in capably for the year and will only get better.

Our #22 pick was from KC last year in our trade down in the 1st where we acquired a guy in Tre White who probably should have been in the pro bowl conversation if not the pro bowl itself.

One of our 2nd rounders was acquired trading away a talented but oft-injured WR who then wasn't even resigned by the same team who traded for him. And based on Sammy's new salary with KC, he wouldn't be with the Bills even if McDermott exercised his 5th year rookie option.

One of our 3rd rounders... the 1st one in the 3rd round, was acquired by trading away a QB that there was absolutely no long term plan on and filled in his slot with a QB who is at least capable of competing for the starting QB job at less than 1/3rd the cost of the guy we just traded away.

We take those 4 picks, all "house money," and trade them all to the Giants for the #2 pick to grab Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield (please GOD not Allen!!!) and Beane still has all of Buffalo's original picks with a pick in all the remaining rounds other than the 7th.

And before you say that cost isn't realistic, if you take a look at the Jimmy Johnson draft chart, I think you'll find different:

#12 = 1200 points 

#22 = 780 points 

#53 = 370 points 

#65 = 265 points 

Grand total = 2615 points 

#2 pick = 2600 points

So we're giving away picks Beane has been shrewdly acquiring, not picks we were already going to naturally possess. Now, perhaps it's going to take one more pick like a 2nd rounders next year to sweeten the pot a little, but maybe not. 

And that's in trading up to #2, which I believe is the highest we're going. Imagine if we wait until draft day and see a guy we want fall to #4 with the Browns or #6 with the Colts... it'll cost less and we'll still get our QB.

I'm a little baffled that some are complaining about the idea of giving up draft picks, even if it ensures McBeane can get "their guy." 

I view this as the most important draft we've seen since maybe 1983 because we know with almost 100% certainty that the intent is to draft the guy who's going to be our QB for the next 10-15+ years.

We can do that in a very strong QB draft class... and we can do it with house money :thumbsup:

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The draft capital we'll give up is house money, even if it's all the way up to the Giants' #2 pick.

(Obviously all of this is merely opinion :flirt: ... I apologize for adding one more thread to a seemingly inundated and frustrated board)

I have heard a better apology from a robber holding me up and from the mechanics who dropped my car off a lift.

4 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I think Bills will have to give up more than that to get to two.

I think it’s going to cost them both 1st this years and next years as well.

If Gettleman requires us to dip into the first or second round of next year's draft then Beane should tell him to shove it.

• Like (+1) 2

Even if it's all 5 picks between 12 - 65, the reality is you are likely giving up 1 pro bowler, 1 borderline pro bowler / solid starter, 1 solid starter, 2 disappointments.  The impact simply pales in comparison to getting a QB who is the face of the franchise for a decade or more.

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

Even if it's all 5 picks between 12 - 65, the reality is you are likely giving up 1 pro bowler, 1 borderline pro bowler / solid starter, 1 solid starter, 2 disappointments.  The impact simply pales in comparison to getting a QB who is the face of the franchise for a decade or more.

The chance of drafting a QB who MAY or MAY NOT be the face of the franchise for a decade.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

You failed to recognize that there is a strong likelihood that whomever you trade up for might be a decent starter, but is not a transcendent player who can single-handedly carry a team to success.  The likelihood of finding THAT guy is very low no matter how much you give up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Our #12 pick was the result of swapping 1sts and trading away a player who may have played well for this team in years past but almost never saw the field (did he ever?) in 2017, our first playoff year in 17 years as a rookie filled in capably for the year and will only get better.

Our #22 pick was from KC last year in our trade down in the 1st where we acquired a guy in Tre White who probably should have been in the pro bowl conversation if not the pro bowl itself.

One of our 2nd rounders was acquired trading away a talented but oft-injured WR who then wasn't even resigned by the same team who traded for him. And based on Sammy's new salary with KC, he wouldn't be with the Bills even if McDermott exercised his 5th year rookie option.

One of our 3rd rounders... the 1st one in the 3rd round, was acquired by trading away a QB that there was absolutely no long term plan on and filled in his slot with a QB who is at least capable of competing for the starting QB job at less than 1/3rd the cost of the guy we just traded away.

We take those 4 picks, all "house money," and trade them all to the Giants for the #2 pick to grab Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield (please GOD not Allen!!!) and Beane still has all of Buffalo's original picks with a pick in all the remaining rounds other than the 7th.

And before you say that cost isn't realistic, if you take a look at the Jimmy Johnson draft chart, I think you'll find different:

#12 = 1200 points 

#22 = 780 points 

#53 = 370 points 

#65 = 265 points 

Grand total = 2615 points 

#2 pick = 2600 points

So we're giving away picks Beane has been shrewdly acquiring, not picks we were already going to naturally possess. Now, perhaps it's going to take one more pick like a 2nd rounders next year to sweeten the pot a little, but maybe not. 

And that's in trading up to #2, which I believe is the highest we're going. Imagine if we wait until draft day and see a guy we want fall to #4 with the Browns or #6 with the Colts... it'll cost less and we'll still get our QB.

I'm a little baffled that some are complaining about the idea of giving up draft picks, even if it ensures McBeane can get "their guy." 

I view this as the most important draft we've seen since maybe 1983 because we know with almost 100% certainty that the intent is to draft the guy who's going to be our QB for the next 10-15+ years.

We can do that in a very strong QB draft class... and we can do it with house money :thumbsup:

The problem is the jets overpaid by 30 percent based on your value chart so we need to give the giants 3500 points so you’re looking at next years First and probably second as well.  

This would be the most draft picks ever given for a player in nfl history 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills traded everything of significant value that they had, other than Tre'Davious White and to a lesser extent LeSean McCoy. This is not house money. The Bills sold the farm for this draft in a manner of speaking.

Edited by Fetou
  • Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

You failed to recognize that there is a strong likelihood that whomever you trade up for might be a decent starter, but is not a transcendent player who can single-handedly carry a team to success.  The likelihood of finding THAT guy is very low no matter how much you give up.

I completely recognize that.  The reward is worth the risk.

The possibility also exists we keep all 5 picks and we draft 5 disappointments.  Any draft pick is a risk.

9 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

I think the complaint by most is not giving away picks to trade up but the improbability that we will be able to trade up and get the QB the bills want.  The jets-colts trade hurt.

It's the opposite.  They know they have to move ahead of 3 to get their guy and I suspect they've known that all along

4 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

even if he is not a hall of famer or an all pro, he could be a top ten qb. and a top ten qb would be a wonderful thing to have. i just don't want to watch any more games where it looks like we are not even playing the same sport as the rest of the league. here's to hoping! :beer:

• Like (+1) 1