House Money: Why Beane will trade up & you should be fine with it

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think the Bills like Darnold. He strikes me as way too gunslinger for McDermott. He is the one QB of the top 6 here who has never seen a throw he doesn't like and attempts throws he shouldn't. 

I have put my predicted top 6 in my post above. 

Thanks! that's a reasonable take on the topic. 

FWIW i heard Vance Joseph on NFL Radio today and he talked about Von Miller being double and tripled teamed...maybe Chubb is their desire

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Is Allen a bit of a gunslinger?

No I don't think he is actually. To my eyes Allen's INTs tend to come from fundamental inaccuracy whereas I think Darnold's overwhelmingly come from bad decisions (trying to fit balls where he shouldn't). 

Don't get me wrong... I would take Darnold over Allen every day of the week. I think he is the 2nd best Quarterback in this draft. But I am not talking what I would do here I am trying to work out how the Bills might be thinking and reading between the lines of what is reported with what the top brass says each time they speak. It is all projection and prediction and of course I could be wrong. 

2 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

Thanks! that's a reasonable take on the topic. 

FWIW i heard Vance Joseph on NFL Radio today and he talked about Von Miller being double and tripled teamed...maybe Chubb is their desire

Chubb is the #1 player on my board. If I wasn't a team taking a QB in the top 5 and he was there I'd pick him. I think the problem is Denver think they are a more productive offense away from being contenders again and fixing the line is part of that. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

No I don't think he is actually. To my eyes Allen's INTs tend to come from fundamental inaccuracy whereas I think Darnold's overwhelmingly come from bad decisions (trying to fit balls where he shouldn't). 

Don't get me wrong... I would take Darnold over Allen every day of the week. I think he is the 2nd best Quarterback in this draft. But I am not talking what I would do here I am trying to work out how the Bills might be thinking and reading between the lines of what is reported with what the top brass says each time they speak. It is all projection and prediction and of course I could be wrong. 

I have to watch myself....before the Jets trade up I had already taken possession of Rosen.

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You want to get hung up on the term itself because it doesn't exactly match your definition, complain about it with the guys at your meeting later today.

That's right... We booted you from the chapter when you insisted we sell our homes for "house money". :lol:

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Okay just listened to Beane's presser from yesterday. Conclusions?

- The Bills are trading up to #2 so long as Cleveland doesn't take their guy #1 overall;

- It won't happen until draft night;

- The Bills and Giants have an agreed price and it includes the Bills 2019 #1;

- This is NOT a 2 move trade. It is a 1 jump #12 to #2. 

- Beane would be a terrible poker player. 

I said after the first post season presser he gave at the Senior Bowl "no way the Bills are staying at #21 and #22". I say again today that unless Cleveland takes their guy (I think Rosen and Allen are the two possibles for 'their guy') the Bills are going to go up to #2. I don't think Beane is that hard to read. He gives a lot of his intentions away without meaning to. 

First of all, I agree that Beane is going to try like hell to trade up to #2, hence the thread... trying to logically ease the minds of some people weirdly freaking out about the prospect of doing something Beane and McDermott have pretty clearly been preparing to do for nearly a year.

Second of all, can you explain what Beane did or said in this presser to lead you to these conclusions? Just curious.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think the Bills like Darnold. He strikes me as way too gunslinger for McDermott. He is the one QB of the top 6 here who has never seen a throw he doesn't like and attempts throws he shouldn't. 

I have put my predicted top 6 in my post above. 

Why do you think the Bills would like Allen more than any other QB in this draft?

8 hours ago, #34fan said:

That's right... We booted you from the chapter when you insisted we sell our homes for "house money". :lol:

Oh boy :doh:

I hope for the sake of this fan base we don't end up with a Center and LB in this draft as you're essentially pushing here with your unwillingness to trade up.

31 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

First of all, I agree that Beane is going to try like hell to trade up to #2, hence the thread... trying to logically ease the minds of some people weirdly freaking out about the prospect of doing something Beane and McDermott have pretty clearly been preparing to do for nearly a year.

Second of all, can you explain what Beane did or said in this presser to lead you to these conclusions? Just curious.

Why do you think the Bills would like Allen more than any other QB in this draft?

I just think Beane gives things away in the way that he answers questions. He has tells. When he says we are focussing on 12 the answers are formulaic. It sounds the same every time, the tone is the same the arguments are the same. That is a learned response. That tells me no thought process beyond pure repetition of a learned line. Compare that to when he is asked about Gettleman. There is a story that develops as his answer goes.... he has a friendship, he spoke to his wife, they haven't discussed free agency... it comes out in stages. That is evidence of someone engaging in cognitive process. He is trying to embelsih the story as he tells it. He wants to make it believeable that he hasn't talked to Gettleman about #2. And then the rest is just the honesty of his answers. He was pretty clear you don't move into the top 5 unless you know your guy will be there. The Bills can only know that for sure once Cleveland has turned in the card. Similarly he was clear you don't go to #7 unless you know you can then get to #2 "in case you get stuck there." That is interesting in and of itself because he previously said "there are guys I know will be there at #12 that wouldn't be there at #21".... why would that same logic not apply for #7 from #12? Obviously it would. At #7 you are either getting one of the top 4 QBs or a choice from 2 of the top 4 non QBs (Chubb, Barkley, Fitzpatrick and Nelson). None of those make it to #12. But Brandon Beane doesn't really believe his own rationale about being at #12 because he has no expectation of picking there. 

On which QBs they like.... I think they like Rosen the best. He seems to fit the mold of what they look for and value as they have described it multiple times. I think Allen probably fits it the 2nd best. Darnold I just worry about his lack of care with the football. Think back to all those "Tyrod looks after the ball" press conferences that you so enjoyed.... I don't think McDermott was lying about valuing that. I also doubt that Baker Mayfield is high on their board. I am not sure he fits either their size or personality mold. I hope I am wrong... I'd be very happy with Mayfield if we can't get Rosen. Just my sense based on piecing together what they have said. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I just think Beane gives things away in the way that he answers questions. He has tells. When he says we are focussing on 12 the answers are formulaic. It sounds the same every time, the tone is the same the arguments are the same. That is a learned response. That tells me no thought process beyond pure repetition of a learned line. Compare that to when he is asked about Gettleman. There is a story that develops as his answer goes.... he has a friendship, he spoke to his wife, they haven't discussed free agency... it comes out in stages. That is evidence of someone engaging in cognitive process. He is trying to embelsih the story as he tells it. He wants to make it believeable that he hasn't talked to Gettleman about #2. And then the rest is just the honesty of his answers. He was pretty clear you don't move into the top 5 unless you know your guy will be there. The Bills can only know that for sure once Cleveland has turned in the card. Similarly he was clear you don't go to #7 unless you know you can then get to #2 "in case you get stuck there." That is interesting in and of itself because he previously said "there are guys I know will be there at #12 that wouldn't be there at #21".... why would that same logic not apply for #7 from #12? Obviously it would. At #7 you are either getting one of the top 4 QBs or a choice from 2 of the top 4 non QBs (Chubb, Barkley, Fitzpatrick and Nelson). None of those make it to #12. But Brandon Beane doesn't really believe his own rationale about being at #12 because he has no expectation of picking there. 

On which QBs they like.... I think they like Rosen the best. He seems to fit the mold of what they look for and value as they have described it multiple times. I think Allen probably fits it the 2nd best. Darnold I just worry about his lack of care with the football. Think back to all those "Tyrod looks after the ball" press conferences that you so enjoyed.... I don't think McDermott was lying about valuing that. I also doubt that Baker Mayfield is high on their board. I am not sure he fits either their size or personality mold. I hope I am wrong... I'd be very happy with Mayfield if we can't get Rosen. Just my sense based on piecing together what they have said. 

Definitely a well-thought rationale here.

I agree with you about Mayfield not being the guy they want... but I really really really hope we're wrong.

If we trade up for Josh Allen while Mayfield slides I'm gonna stick a fork in my hand.