Number 1 WR Jordan Matthews Still Looking for a Job

we all ? knew we were in dire need of upgrading across the WR line up.

When he mentioned his expectations to be a #1 and semi blaming the Eagles for his poor performance last year was enough for me.

Best wishes !

Good Guy , just not good enough

Larry Fitz has been playing the slot the last few years. Perhaps Mike McCoy is going to move him back outside and put Matthews in the slot? I think he is a good fit for the what they want to do and he will likely have a million catches playing with Fitzgerald. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Number 1 WR Jordan Matthews Still Looking for a Job

I think he's an excellent wide receiver and would be happy if he re-signed with us. I think he was hobbled for all of 2017.

But something tells me there was a falling out of sorts between he and the coaching staff/front office. Not sure why I feel that way...

22 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I think he's an excellent wide receiver and would be happy if he re-signed with us. I think he was hobbled for all of 2017.

But something tells me there was a falling out of sorts between he and the coaching staff/front office. Not sure why I feel that way...

I got that vibe as well. 

He stinks and the market is proving that true. The Eagles had him as 4 on their depth chart and threw him in on the trade. He can’t separate at all.

Remember when people here thought he was an “upgrade to Sammy?” One guy got 3 years $48M with $30M guaranteed and the other guy is sitting out there probably staring at a vet minimum deal. I guess NFL GMs are smarter than TBD. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He stinks and the market is proving that true. The Eagles had him as 4 on their depth chart and threw him in on the trade. He can’t separate at all.

Remember when people here thought he was an “upgrade to Sammy?” One guy got 3 years $48M with $30M guaranteed and the other guy is sitting out there probably staring at a vet minimum deal. I guess NFL GMs are smarter than TBD. 

I think you're right, the fact that Sammy and Matthews already are on their third team in five years does speak to what you are saying.

Edited by Magox

6 minutes ago, Magox said:

I think you're right, the fact that he's already on his third team in five years does speak to what you are saying.

I feel bad saying it because he seems like a nice guy. Sometimes though I like to say “ha ha I told you so.” It’s a fine line between celebrating being right and disparaging a seemingly good dude. It’s the EJ Manuel effect :)

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Doubt he'll even consider coming back here and I don't think the FO/Coaches really want him back due to the price he is probably commanding. Plus, I'm pretty sure we have enough possession wide receivers on the roster already. They rather have the cheaper option in Zay to play the slot. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I feel bad saying it because he seems like a nice time. Sometimes though I like to say “ha ha I told you so.” It’s a fine line between celebrating being right and disparaging a seemingly good dude. It’s the EJ Manuel effect :)

Matthews is a good guy and when healthy he is a good 3rd receiver for a team.

He definitely is no number one receiver.

26 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I was just gonna say - it would be fun to dig up the trade thread.  So many idiots here were proclaiming that Matthews was a true #1, better than Sammy, etc., and sneering at those of us who questioned it...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I was just gonna say - it would be fun to dig up the trade thread.  So many idiots here were proclaiming that Matthews was a true #1, better than Sammy, etc., and sneering at those of us who questioned it...

The funniest thing was the claim that he was a deep threat. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

You all forgot we had a Qb that refused to throw to the open receivers, IJS.

Yep, that’s why he never through to JMatt. He never checked the “open” receiver box.

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Ha ha, where are all of those hot takes now...

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Which one was he now?

The WR we got from Philly for the Ron Darby trade.  Matthews played a handful of games this past season, and was injured the rest of the time.

4 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

The WR we got from Philly for the Ron Darby trade.  Matthews played a handful of games this past season, and was injured the rest of the time.

Now that's a sweet pickup.  Guy like that won't last long on the open market.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Why do Bills fans hate Jordan Matthews?  I don't get it.

He was very productive in Philly and was injured last year.  He also had to deal with Tyrod and a vanilla offense.

No this is a "vanilla" offense...

Image result for patriots offense

Image result for patriots offense

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

He was very productive in Philly and was injured last year.  He also had to deal with Tyrod and a vanilla offense.

I don’t hate him. It is probably a lot of “I told you so” in this thread. He was the 4th receiver for the Eagles and people actually believed that going from Watkins to Matthews was an upgrade!! He’s an okay slot guy but in no way should he have been thought of as an acceptable option as the top receiver. The Bills admitted that mistake about 8 weeks after us. They didn’t even wait the year out.

Matthews seems like a nice guy and a smart guy. Shady likes him too. The idea that he was ever going to be more than a JAG though was woefully misguided. The Bills, to their credit though, tried to move on quickly by adding Benjamin. He’s limited too but is a better version of Matthews. The Bills still have a massive need at WR and some of that came from believing that Matthews was a viable option. The rest of it came from trading up for Zay (which I liked at the time). In hindsight, they should have tried to get Benjamin earlier and drafted Ju-Ju instead of Zay. That’s water under the bridge at this point though. 

9 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

He seems like a really good guy, but I don't think he is that good of a player.

I 100 percent agree he had a bad supporting cast around him, but he also looked slow and struggled to get separation for most of the year

Edited by billsfan11

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t hate him. It is probably a lot of “I told you so” in this thread. He was the 4th receiver for the Eagles and people actually believed that going from Watkins to Matthews was an upgrade!! He’s an okay slot guy but in no way should he have been thought of as an acceptable option as the top receiver. The Bills admitted that mistake about 8 weeks after us. They didn’t even wait the year out.

Matthews seems like a nice guy and a smart guy. Shady likes him too. The idea that he was ever going to be more than a JAG though was woefully misguided. The Bills, to their credit though, tried to move on quickly by adding Benjamin. He’s limited too but is a better version of Matthews. The Bills still have a massive need at WR and some of that came from believing that Matthews was a viable option. The rest of it came from trading up for Zay (which I liked at the time). In hindsight, they should have tried to get Benjamin earlier and drafted Ju-Ju instead of Zay. That’s water under the bridge at this point though. 

Come on, man.  Don't give up on Zay after his rookie season.

9 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

He seems like a really good guy, but I don't think he is that good of a player.

I 100 percent agree he had a bad supporting cast around him, but he also looked slow and struggled to get separation for most of the year

Bad players don't put up these types of numbers.  He just needs to be in the right offense.  That's the coach's job.

Screenshot_20180320-180702.jpg

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1