Sammy Watwins to KC on a 3 Year Deal

I'm glad the Chiefs did this. It will give us something to quibble over until the Bills make another move we can talk about.

1 minute ago, Dalton said:

This is top 5 receiver money - based on production to date who can argue that he is anywhere near top 5 in production?

He is always looked at for his potential - when will that end?  I guess in a few years when KC is disappointed.

It will never end if the saying is true "There is a sucker born every minute".

But for me you never know. He could finally string together a few productive seasons at the top of his game. I hope so he hasn't been that big of ajerk that I don't wish him well.

I did suppose he would have to take a "show me" deal someplace before he got the big money though. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm just kidding............you don't even qualify to get wins and losses on this board...........you know absolutely zero about the game of football....you know that....... and are just here to argue and troll.    

Now being a Mets fan tho........THAT is just dumb.:lol:

How do you feel about McD being able to work with Rosen?

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Him, Tyreke Hill, and Kelce on the same field is a matchup nightmare.

Yeah and now with Mahomes throwing the ball they dont have to worry about having the ability to push it downfield either..

Will open up space for Hunt underneath as well

Edited by matter2003

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Well, if it is $30M guaranteed, then it is 2 for $15M

Show me how ANY of this is true..or where you had this somewhere after the draft.or anything that points to this not just being made up conjecture

Whaley wanting a QB was put out there by Bills sources after the draft.......as a sort of "don't give him credit for this great trade, see what an idiot he is".......... and well before Watson had his historic start.   McD clearly orchestrated that entire draft and was even accused of stealing Carolina's board info.

The difference between the 4th pick and the 22nd pick is A LOT of value..........like 2 mid-round firsts.    And yes, even at the time the choice to trade with the combo of Andy Reid/Alex Smith versus Bill O'Brien/Tom Savage was perplexing.

It's nice to have friends to trade with but better to trade with the people who give you the best value.......and in this case the difference was VAST. 

1 hour ago, bmur66 said:

Could of had that here

Not worth 16 million...no, not even close.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why would it be better than Goff to Sammy worked out?

I never remember saying that it would.  However, I was speaking more to Mahommes big arm and risk taking down field going along with Sammy's hands and speed.

Guys, can we appreciate something from a football standpoint without it being a "woulda, coulda, shoulda" or ripping on a former Bill?

Obviously the majority think the trade with the Rams worked out well since Sammy is not worth 16 mill per year. I think so too. Notwithstanding that I think McBeane are good (as borne out by McD's Hyde and Poyer signing, the Cordy trade, Tyrod trade etc.) , it is also time to point out that they were wrong in not picking up Sammy's option. What would you rather have? Sammy at 11 mill or a late second rounder (from Rams)?

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Whaley wanting a QB was put out there by Bills sources after the draft.......as a sort of "don't give him credit for this great trade, see what an idiot he is".......... and well before Watson had his historic start.   McD clearly orchestrated that entire draft and was even accused of stealing Carolina's board info.

The difference between the 4th pick and the 22nd pick is A LOT of value..........like 2 mid-round firsts.    And yes, even at the time the choice to trade with the combo of Andy Reid/Alex Smith versus Bill O'Brien/Tom Savage was perplexing.

It's nice to have friends to trade with but better to trade with the people who give you the best value.......and in this case the difference was VAST. 

I just do not remember seeing this anywhere form anyone "credible"( i know, tough in this day and age). Of course in hindsight, if we had a deal with the Texans on the table, would have been great to have it. One maybe can assume they were offering, but I have not seen anything to support that was the case.

And i agree, the value NOW is vast. Count me in as one who thought at best KC was an 8-8 team last year, as we witnessed after the hot start. 

29 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Being a slave to the numbers weakens your analysis.  Watkins consistently drew coverage from opposing #1 CBs that opened up opportunities for other receivers. 

Ah, yes, the "decoy" argument.  It would be more credible if he caught more than 55% of the targets he got last 2 seasons.

In 2016, it was all Tyrod's fault, he's too inaccurate and throws wide or above Sammy.  In 2017, what's the reason?

Or is this just sarcasm and I missed it?

2 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Hindsight, guys, can you really blame Marrone supposedly for walking out of the war room and slamming the door after the draft of Sammy?

I really can't.

@Hapless Bills Fan

@Kirby Jackson

@26CornerBlitz

I had no issue with the Sammy pick. I won’t pretend to think otherwise now. I did have an issue with the trade last year but it looks much better now. The 5th year option was the route that I would have went. They didn’t but got decent value back for a guy getting paid.

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Yep. You were right and I was wrong. This is stunning. 

BTW, i thought Sammy would get $13M for 2, so i was wrong.

And I have been way wrong on a bunch of stuff lately..no way did I think the Bills could trade Tyrod , or Glenn, so I will just sit back and not make any declarations anymore!!!

47 minutes ago, dneveu said:

OTAs... Training camp... an actual chance to fit in.  He chose to go there, so he knows what he's getting into. 

He chose to take the most crazy money offered--and it's clear that was KC.  He could have fit in in LA, but he couldn't outplay Woods.

OTAs and training camp with the sophomore backup-now starter QB is hardly going to make his situation better than staying in LA. 

3 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Not worth 16 million...no, not even close.

I never remember saying that it would.  However, I was speaking more to Mahommes big arm and risk taking down field going along with Sammy's hands and speed.

Guys, can we appreciate something from a football standpoint without it being a "woulda, coulda, shoulda" or ripping on a former Bill?

I was responding to 26CB.

Until Mahomes shows he is a down filed risk taker in the NFL, I'll reserve judgment on the now magical pairing of Sammy with his 3rd QB in 3 years (each less experienced than the last).

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ah, yes, the "decoy" argument.  It would be more credible if he caught more than 55% of the targets he got last 2 seasons.

In 2016, it was all Tyrod's fault, he's too inaccurate and throws wide or above Sammy.  In 2017, what's the reason?

Or is this just sarcasm and I missed it?

125 catches for over 2k yards with 15 TDs in his 1st two seasons in run oriented offenses speaks volumes for what he can do.  The Chiefs were not his only suitor with good reason despite your opinion on him. 

6 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Hindsight, guys, can you really blame Marrone supposedly for walking out of the war room and slamming the door after the draft of Sammy?

I really can't.

@Hapless Bills Fan

@Kirby Jackson

@26CornerBlitz

I thought that was a story that had been rebutted by a credible source, to wit Wawrow.  I had concluded it was just out there in hindsight to make Marrone look like a bright boy for taking the money and running off, leaving the "dumpster fire" behind him  - JMO.

The thing that bothers me most (and may still bother me) is how many players we drafted whose services we lost due to injury - Sammy, Ragland, Lawson, Listenbee, seems as though I'm missing at least one.  Now stuff happens (Ragland) but it's gotten to the point where for me it's beyond coincidence and into poor medical advice, or poor ability to process and interpret medical advice.  I hope the medical staff has changed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No, he got 3 years, $16M PER year. ($30M guaranteed)

How do you like your crow cooked?

Simple league opinion validation for the rest of us.:thumbsup:

Solid deal for Sammy.........he will hit FA again at 27 and be in line for another 4-5 year deal.

Kudos to some of the agents and teams really hitting some sweet spot deals.  

Better to not squabble over the dollars a bit on a short deal than be in a situation where you change coaches and schemes and end up salary dumping and burying the next guy with dead cap dollars.   

9 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If you're surprised by this, you kind of suck at watching football.

The list of Sammy-haters is a "who's who" of "who ain't".

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bag of Milk said:

I'd lean toward the never will part.

When is the last time it took a " generational" talent at WR take 5 years to fully show it?

39 catches for 593 yards on an offense that was top 10 in the NFL last year?

30 million guarenteed?

He's 24. His Qbs have been EJ, Tyrod, Cupcake Orton, and Goff (who was worse as a rookie than EJ).  He has 25 tds in 4 seasons.

its hilarious how Bills fans love to hate on talented players then annual playoff teams sign these players for big deals.

we have done some good things in the last few years.  But let's not kid ourselves. Our offense is borderline unwatchable.  I like that the Chiefs are surrounding their young qb with talent. I love that Bills seem ready to really good after a qb in the draft. But it would be nice to have a guy like Watkins to help him out.  Watch the step back the Rams have on offense with Woods as a #1.

we paid too muchto get Watkins in the draft.  It's a dependent position. Let's not pretend like ODB is the same player on Buffalo as he is in NJ.  But Watkins is super talented, really young, & is playing with his most talented qb (imo).  Good for him.

18 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve been working on my end zone dances for quite some time.

During lent you are supposed to humble yourself. Even if you are insincere and lack authenticity for appearance sake you are required to fake your humbleness. :)

33 minutes ago, kirkwoodus13 said:

You have to surround your young QB with play makers.. Goff was good last year because he a squad

He wasn't good enough to get any further than the wildcard round and that was with arguably the best offensive talent in the league. IMO the Rams made the same mistake that Whaley did in going all in on EJ Manuel. They haven't hedged their bets at all and I think it will blow up in their faces soon.

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He's 24. His Qbs have been EJ, Tyrod, Cupcake Orton, and Goff (who was worse as a rookie than EJ).  He has 25 tds in 4 seasons.

its hilarious how Bills fans love to hate on talented players then annual playoff teams sign these players for big deals.

we have done some good things in the last few years.  But let's not kid ourselves. Our offense is borderline unwatchable.  I like that the Chiefs are surrounding their young qb with talent. I love that Bills seem ready to really good after a qb in the draft. But it would be nice to have a guy like Watkins to help him out.  Watch the step back the Rams have on offense with Woods as a #1.

we paid too muchto get Watkins in the draft.  It's a dependent position. Let's not pretend like ODB is the same player on Buffalo as he is in NJ.  But Watkins is super talented, really young, & is playing with his most talented qb (imo).  Good for him.

I'm not a Sammy Watkins hater( though, yes I did hate the trade up to get him)

With a young offensive mastermind as head coach(McVay) Watkins had every opportunity to show he was an elite wide receiver last year with the Rams.

He still left me wanting.

The Chiefs situation certainly appears perfect for him. Mahomes was my favorite player in the draft last year, it will be interesting to see if he gels with Sammy. If he does, many Bills fans will die a bit inside.

Edited by Bag of Milk

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

During lent you are supposed to humble yourself. Even if you are insincere and lack authenticity for appearance sake you are required to fake your humbleness. :)

So has being wrong on takes this year humbled you?

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

I thought Sammy was very talented, I just didn't see him getting the same AAV as Nuke, who has far outperformed him in the last 4 years.

I stand by my point.  You need to pay more attention - post less, say more.  These takes...

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Haha (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Yeah and now with Mahomes throwing the ball they dont have to worry about having the ability to push it downfield either..

Alex Smith was the best deep ball passer in the league last year:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-most-accurate-deep-ball-passers-in-2017

It is a near certainty that their deep passing game will not be as good this year. Which makes the decision to trade Smith and force Mahomes into the starting role all the more baffling.

Edited by HappyDays

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Him, Tyreke Hill, and Kelce on the same field is a matchup nightmare.

With Hunt and Ware in the backfield.  It's all on Mahomes.  He has all the help a QB would need to be successful, along with the the QB whisperer (Andy Reid) behind him.