Sammy Watwins to KC on a 3 Year Deal

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Alex Smith was the best deep ball passer in the league last year:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-most-accurate-deep-ball-passers-in-2017

It is a near certainty that their deep passing game will not be as good this year. Which makes the decision to trade Smith and force Mahomes into the starting role all the more baffling.

Especially since we all know Mahomes will revert back to his TT footwork and start throwing balls up for grabs. It’s gonna be a long year for the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1

i wish Sammy well,  i didnt shed a tear for him when he was traded. 

he has the ability to be top ten receiver in the league,   he got traded purely because of the risk.

u cant overpay for a guy who was hurt as much as he was while playing here.

has he turned it around.   mbe,  is he worth 10mil per?   mbe.

will be real interesting to watch next season,   if that young QB can find him.

if not,  Sammy wont be happy.

1 hour ago, Yav said:

I live in KC, I do NOT have to put any respect on an idiots name. If you want to kiss his feet you go right ahead as for Mahomes, I've called that trade for KC a joke and I'm not backing off that until I see the kid do something over a season. I think KC reached for a MEH QB.

Me calling Kelce a great TE is kissing his feet? Why are you angry online dude? LOL!

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He is?  I must have missed that last year.

Goff had YPA of 8 last year and 66 of his 296 completions went for 20+ yards.

And is Sammy only useful with the "deep ball"? 

He is yes. It's not something that Goff does well.  Watkins can run every route with proficiency, but his deep speed has to be respected. 

9 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Me calling Kelce a great TE is kissing his feet? Why are you angry online dude? LOL!

You told me to show him respect. He's done nothing to earn that from me, so hence my comment about "you can kiss his feet". 

Living her I've grown to dislike the Chefs, their players and many of their fans.

Let me put it this way - you watch the tape and generally one doesn't come away with a feeling that Watkins is an elite receiver.  He's in that "good" range, but too inconsistent.  He also tends to disappear on the field at times, and has durability questions.  Nagging injuries tend to take away his game more than others.  Some people are simply able to play "hurt" better than others (e.g., they play through stiffness, muscle soreness, etc., better), and I don't see him as one of them. 

That said, he is still young and fast (when healthy) so he could certainly turn around his career in the right situation.  Receivers often take several years to get going in the NFL.  But, in my humble opinion, the Chiefs are paying too much for the speculative side of this deal.  Kudos to Watkins and his agent for getting it done.

Edited by Murdox

2 hours ago, Yav said:

2. Kelce is a jackass and gets kicked out of games

3. Watkins will get hurt and miss at least 8 games

Watkins missed one game last year fwiw. 

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Patrick Mahomes is a special talent. I was calling him QB1 all last year and I'm not budging off that now.

Travis Kelce is the second best TE in this league. Put some respect on his name.

Kelce is a monster.    2nd best TE behind Gronk 

57 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

It has nothing to do with paying attention and everything to do with the leverage I felt like the NFL had.

Not trying to pile on but you suggested that the Goodwin contract set the market for Watkins. Goodwin got 3 years, $20.3M and $10M guaranteed. Watkins got 3 years, $48M, $30M guaranteed. It wasn’t like you were a little off. He got 3x the guaranteed money!! That’s the equivalent of guessing that Kirk Cousins would get $10M a year.

The reason that you are taking some ribbing is because you were adamant (“promise” & “guarantee” were your words) that he wasn’t going to get what most everyone else could clearly see. In the NFL contracts are determined by the market. The Davante Adams’ contract was a clear indication of the money that Robinson and Watkins would see.  That was obvious to anyone paying attention.  So now, you and others, have to put up with a little extra ?. We still love you

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Thought he was going to get like 13 which I still think would be overpriced.

16 mil per year for the 4th most productive receiver on the Rams last year? Yikes

He also had the most TDs amongst Rams WRs and a pretty high ypc of 17 or so. If you watched Rams games, you'd see what he was doing in that offense and that he could easily have had bigger stats. Teams aren't looking at what Goff did with Watkins , but at what they could do with their own QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

He also had the most TDs amongst Rams WRs and a pretty high ypc of 17 or so. If you watched Rams games, you'd see what he was doing in that offense and that he could easily have had bigger stats. Teams aren't looking at what Goff did with Watkins , but at what they could do with their own QB. 

I was called a moron for suggesting this as well.

I stated that he was crazy important, drawing double coverage constantly, allowing kupp and woods plenty of open space and mismatches.

I was told I was an idiot and that kupp was far better.

Man, I love how good this contract tastes, it's like victory.

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

I don't buy that theory 100 percent.

I understand that it is for sure a bit of a factor, but at the end of the day, great receivers produce great numbers.

4 years in his career and teams are still paying tons for his potential, not his production

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not trying to pile on but you suggested that the Goodwin contract set the market for Watkins. Goodwin got 3 years, $20.3M and $10M guaranteed. Watkins got 3 years, $48M, $30M guaranteed. It wasn’t like you were a little off. He got 3x the guaranteed money!! That’s the equivalent of guessing that Kirk Cousins would get $10M a year.

The reason that you are taking some ribbing is because you were adamant (“promise” & “guarantee” were your words) that he wasn’t going to get what most everyone else could clearly see. In the NFL contracts are determined by the market. The Davante Adams’ contract was a clear indication of the money that Robinson and Watkins would see.  That was obvious to anyone paying attention.  So now, you and others, have to put up with a little extra ?. We still love you

Sammy got more than Davante with worse production.

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

I don't buy that theory 100 percent.

I understand that it is for sure a bit of a factor, but at the end of the day, great receivers produce great numbers.

4 years in his career and teams are still paying tons for his potential, not his production

Don't forget that three of his years were in Buffalo. Orton and Taylor as his QB. No, he isn't being rewarded for past production with this contract. But teams can see the role he was playing in the McVay offense, and how frequently Goff threw the underneath routes. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

Sammy got more than Davante with worse production.

That's not correct, as I pointed out to you in the other thread.

Just take your loss on this one and move on...clearly, NFL teams value Sammy a LOT more than you thought.

We all get it wrong sometimes.

• Like (+1) 1

Don't forget that three of his years were in Buffalo. Orton and Taylor as his QB. No, he isn't being rewarded for past production with this contract. But teams can see the role he was playing in the McVay offense, and how frequently Goff threw the underneath routes. 

When someone tells me that he played with bad QBS, I will just use Deandre Hopkins as an example. The guy played/plays with Savage and TJ Yates and still lights it up.

Like I said, great receivers have great production and don't have seasons under 600 yards (or whatever it was)

If you are that good, you are the focal point of the offence, not the decoy

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

125 catches for over 2k yards with 15 TDs in his 1st two seasons in run oriented offenses speaks volumes for what he can do.  The Chiefs were not his only suitor with good reason despite your opinion on him. 

This is the NFL "Not For Long".  You get paid based upon your recent performance, not based on what you did 3 seasons ago. 

I'm not surprised that Watkins had multiple suitors, including his last year's team. 

I am surprised he's pulling in the contract he is.

He's reportedly gonna be paid like a top-3 WR, and his last 2 years production simply doesn't justify it.  That's not my opinion, that's hard numbers.  You don't pay someone like AJ Green or Jarvis Landry because they're a great decoy.  You pay them because they're a great receiver.

Water under the bridge.  Sounds like KC is paying Watkins to be the AJ Green to their Andy Dalton.  I hope it works better for them than it worked for us.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan11 said:

When someone tells me that he played with bad QBS, I will just use Deandre Hopkins as an example. The guy played/plays with Savage and TJ Yates and still lights it up.

Like I said, great receivers have great production and don't have seasons under 600 yards (or whatever it was)

If you are that good, you are the focal point of the offence, not the decoy

Gets tons of targets. Sammy produced in Buffalo when targeted. It wasn't a long stretch, but the numbers were there. People underestimate how remedial the Bills passing offense has been. A complete joke by NFL standards. SW wasn't a decoy with the Rams he was open... a lot. Goff never developed great touch on the deep ball and took a ton of underneath throws. McVays design was to score points and spread the ball around. Not to build a stat line for Sammy Watkins. Hopkins is an excellent WR, but SW is downplayed in Buffalo, period. 

18 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Clearly that's what KC is hoping for.

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is exactly why we traded him last year. Some team was always going to overpay. FWIW a lot of Chiefs fans on Twitter hate the deal and are more concerned about their defense.

Yes, I didn't like the trade last year but in hindsight Beane was Fox-smart.  And I still say he sheered the Rams,  well....like sheep

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Gets tons of targets. Sammy produced in Buffalo when targeted. It wasn't a long stretch, but the numbers were there. People underestimate how remedial the Bills passing offense has been. A complete joke by NFL standards. SW wasn't a decoy with the Rams he was open... a lot. Goff never developed great touch on the deep ball and took a ton of underneath throws. McVays design was to score points and spread the ball around. Not to build a stat line for Sammy Watkins. Hopkins is an excellent WR, but SW is downplayed in Buffalo, period. 

We’ll agree to disagree on this one.

If he lights it up with the Chiefs and gets 1200 plus yards with 10 TDS, (the bare minimum for what they are paying for) I will eat crow.

But if he doesn’t, I don’t want to hear any excuses from anyone anymore lol

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

That's not correct, as I pointed out to you in the other thread.

Just take your loss on this one and move on...clearly, NFL teams value Sammy a LOT more than you thought.

We all get it wrong sometimes.

I guess so but I don't think he's earned Hopkins money without Hopkins production.

KC disagrees. Good luck with that.

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

If he lights it up with the Chiefs and gets 1200 plus yards with 10 TDS, (the bare minimum for what they are paying for) I will eat crow.

I haven't convinced a single Sammy hater yet . You're in one camp or the other. I've never thought NFL types shared those sentiments , though. It's mostly a Buffalo thing. SW seems like a good fit in KC and we know the QB has a big arm. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He is yes. It's not something that Goff does well.  Watkins can run every route with proficiency, but his deep speed has to be respected. 

Sammy's best seasons were with Orton and TT--not guys who threw the long ball....neither of whom could match Goff in that category.

I haven't convinced a single Sammy hater yet . You're in one camp or the other. I've never thought NFL types shared those sentiments , though. It's mostly a Buffalo thing. SW seems like a good fit in KC and we know the QB has a big arm. 

Don’t get me wrong I don’t think he sucks.

He’s descent.

But I don’t Consider him a good/great receiver and it’s pretty hard to argue that he is based on his production from 4 years 

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

SW seems like a good fit in KC and we know the QB has a big arm. 

They already have Tyreek Hill and they just traded the most accurate deep passer in the NFL. I don't see how Sammy fits there. He's a great deep threat which is not worth $16 million a year. 

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

They already have Tyreek Hill and they just traded the most accurate deep passer in the NFL. I don't see how Sammy fits there. He's a great deep threat which is not worth $16 million a year. 

You can't have too much speed or matchups. I like Alex Smith , but KC was going to move on when they drafted Mahomes.Who knows if he's any good? If the Bills took a QB at 10 last year, I liked Watson. Always thought PM was a boom or bust pick. Anyway, Andy Reid clearly has something in mind for a SW in his offense. 

32 minutes ago, Cmdjr85 said:

This means cooks will hit the market in 19. 

Who ?   

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Obviously he is.   He got the money.    He’s a very good wideout and the Rams offense was a monster while he was there.  

Edited by Teddy KGB

10 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Who ?   

Obviously he is.   He got the money.    He’s a very good wideout and the Rams offense was a monster while he was there.  

He was the 4th most productive receiver on that Rams offence. He was not even close to the main reason why the rams offence was so powerful 

26 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

You’ll still hear. If Hill and Kelce produce at their normal levels,  Sammy will be credited as the reason for their success. 

• Haha (+1) 1