Coach McD - “We are not as far along as people may think”

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Dont take this personally but it this some sort of auto reply bot? 

did we get a QB yet?  i've been saying the same thing every draft for the past decade.  search my posts in the archive

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You're being too kind with calling them a .500 team.

It may get worse before it gets better and I'm fine with that.

We deserved to win that Panthers game but deserved to lose the falcons game.

There were a lot of games we got lucky but other games the other team got lucky.

Looking at the season as what was brought to the table it was easy to see we are a well coached team with poor players compared to a team like Jacksonville who was terribly coached overloaded with talent.

We can win 8 games next year. And a playoff chance is there. But it's still 2 or 3 years away with the right opportunity to get the positions we need shored up when you count what we will lose in the next 2 yrs. (Retirement and free agents).

30 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I just worry that the WC 9-7 will derail the team from fixing what really needs to be fixed.  I feel other coaches (not just on this team) have fallen victim to the shinny object in front of their face and then imploded the next season.

I don't feel that at all - McD and McB sold this as a multi-year, tear-down style, rebuild and that is exactly what they are doing. Realistically we should be anywhere between 5-11 and 9-7 next season depending on injuries (low end if Shady goes down). .500 next season would be fantastic...

52 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

we are always a .500 team and the common link is that we haven't had a QB.  get a QB

We were a playoff team with Taylor. And he is no worse than Bortles and dare I say not much different than foles.  Foles is an average QB. Just like Taylor. 

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

We were a playoff team with Taylor. And he is no worse than Bortles and dare I say not much different than foles.  Foles is an average QB. Just like Taylor. 

that's your opinion.  and your opinion is wrong

10 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Foles is twice the passer (what QBs are supposed to be good at) that Tyrod Taylor is.  Comparing the two is silly.

The Taylor/Bortles comparison is better - but Bortles is a better QB, albeit not by a lot.

It's a much better mindset than Whaley, who was always trying to get what he thought was the missing piece to a playoff team.

The team played over their heads last year.  There were at least a couple recent Bills teams with more talent.  Accomplishing as much as they did with this roster is a good sign for the future.  Culture matters more in football than in any other sport and they have done a great job of laying their foundation.

So nice to have confidence/faith in the shot callers.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Foles is twice the passer (what QBs are supposed to be good at) that Tyrod Taylor is.  Comparing the two is silly.

The Taylor/Bortles comparison is better - but Bortles is a better QB, albeit not by a lot.

Check the stats. Foles has 100 more attempts roughly and not many more yards and a lower comp%, 61 TD's. 29nints

Taylor has 51 TD's. 19 ints

Foles is a year older as well.

Foles has less games, that's about it.   They're both middle of the road Fitzpatrick level QBs

7 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Check the stats. Foles has 100 more attempts roughly and not many more yards and a lower comp%, 61 TD's. 29nints

Foles has less games, that's about it.   They're both middle of the road Fitzpatrick level QBs

I'd take foles over taylor any day of the week...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

a great draft similar to last years obviously will be the key to this years success. we had  2 of the 3 picks in the draft last year play at a very high level. and if zay can bounce off a rough rookie year those 3 will be huge next years. They saw our secondary as a huge problem last year and literally changed out everyone. I'm 100 percent sure they saw the d line as a problem and will address it as well. If they can get 2 legit d tackles and at least 1 lb we should see the defense improve greatly.  Now the qb is a different animal all together. A lot of things have to go right for us to get better next year. 

Jauron Ball can give a false positive read on a bad team......that's how it works........allows a weaker team to win games against more-aggressive/less-careful opponents.

The Bills will have to be better next year just to get back to 9 wins.   

But they should be MUCH better with a good FA and draft season............still going to have to be an old team if they hope to get back to playoffs, though.

Vontae Davis was hopefully just the first in a line of rental veterans to help make this team more physically capable in 2018 while they go on the longer journey of getting this team younger.......that will take a couple more years at least the way they are doing it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

agree, they're not. Dline needs to be bolstered. Oline, mainly a center and definitely need the most important position filled with a competent QB.

hopefully they meet most of those needs this off season, especially the QB position?

Also 2 LB, extra CB, speed WR, etc.  Without the takeaway-fueled 5-2 start, they could easily have been under .500

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not really.

They need a franchise QB but the roster is devoid of talent across the board.(Some due to the new regime)

The defensive line needs an overhaul. A starting linebacker or two. The receivers are the worst group in the league. A couple new starters on the offensive line is needed. 

Last year was year one of rebuilding and they made the playoffs.  We'll see where year 2 takes us.

Schedule is looking much tougher. My take on the schedule toughest to easiest. 

NE x2 - Still the team to beat until they are not. (Lx2)

Green Bay- Rodgers back. Pettine on the defense. This will be a big year for them. (L)

Minnesota- NFC Championship game. Very good defense. Lets see how QB pans out. Mostly dependent on that position. (L)

Jags- AFC Championship game. Very good defense. Although I see them taking a step back this year. 50/50 game. We have played them tight. They are a good match up for us. A lot depends on Bortles.  (W)

Miami x 2 - They were a starting QB away from being a much better team last year. Tannehill will help. Gets moved up the list because they are in the division. (1-1)

SD- Always a better team than their record. Anthony Lynn seems to have the team moving in the right direction. With Phil Rivers at the helm, they can beat anybody on a given Sunday. We traditionally struggle with this team. At least they are at home, but we got smacked around last year. (L)

Houston- Watson is back. The defense is always formidable.  Still too early to anoint Watson, especially after busing his knee up. Toss up game (W)

Detroit- Had a good season. Stafford is still playing well. Better team than Buffalo last year (L)

Indy- With Luck at the helm they can win any Sunday. Depending on when we get Luck and how comfortable he is being back (W)

Jets x2- Lots of cap and changes. Still meh though. More of a future pain in our ass than anything else. Depends on what they do at QB. We split again. (1-1)

Ravens- Meh. Slightly above average. (W)

Tennessee- We will see how they do with a new HC. About the same as Buffalo last year. They have their QB. (W)

Bears- Meh (W)

8 wins. About the same as last year. A few 50/50 games I counted as wins. With a few bounces our way we are back to 9-7/10-6. A few bounces the other way and we are 6-10. We aren't good enough to be hands down above .500, but can be if we are opportunistic. If we "Bills" some things, we are 6-10. 

36 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

a great draft similar to last years obviously will be the key to this years success. we had  2 of the 3 picks in the draft last year play at a very high level. and if zay can bounce off a rough rookie year those 3 will be huge next years. They saw our secondary as a huge problem last year and literally changed out everyone. I'm 100 percent sure they saw the d line as a problem and will address it as well. If they can get 2 legit d tackles and at least 1 lb we should see the defense improve greatly.  Now the qb is a different animal all together. A lot of things have to go right for us to get better next year. 

Agreed, a lot of unknowns here. This is the first draft for the FO.  McDermott pulled the trigger, but he did it with Whaleys big board. Will be interesting to see what they do. 

56 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

You silly.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/02/28/sean-mcdermott-qa-were-not-as-far-along-as-some-think/

Q: You made progress in the AFC East. What work still needs to be done?

A: We made a lot of progress in a short amount of time, made some big-time gains in that first year. It was a team effort, really. The biggest thing for us is making sure we hit the reset button. We're not maybe as far along as some people think we are. We've got a lot of work to do. At the same time remaining true to who we are as an organization and our core values.

Q: Do you plan to have Tyrod Taylor as your quarterback this year?

A: When you look at our quarterback position, Tyrod and Nate, those are two good quarterbacks. Tyrod now can add to his resume that he was instrumental in getting us to the playoffs and breaking what was a 17-year drought. You've heard me say it before, his work ethic and intangibles are unmatched, and his leadership that goes along with the position. We're still going through that process. We're in a good position with some options out there. So that will work itself out.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Whaley seemed to always overrate his roster and make moves to get over the hump. McBeane seems to have a plan and blueprint to build a roster. The Bills were very fortunate to make the playoffs. At best they were a middle of a road team. I'm on board with this regime's multi-year plan to build a more sustainable roster. In the long run strategic thinking is better than short term tactical thinking. Without a doubt a thoughtful organization is better than a scrambling organization. 

I'm not sure Whaley overrated his roster I just think the circumstances around the franchise meant they were always chasing it in that "one more piece" type way. The desperation to "make a statement" in the 2014 draft when under caretaker ownership, the infamous and ill advised 2015 FA splurge to support the big reputation coaching hire, the 2016 post ultimatum dash to find draft picks who could "start straight off the bus".  

McDermott and Beane are much more methodical and much more process driven and are less likely to get blown off course by events.  But make no mistake the franchise is more stable now than it was at any point in the Whaley tenure with an owner with a bit more experience willing to be hands off and a GM and Coach who are ideologically and personally aligned.  That gives us a great chance.  At no point in my Bills fandom (goes back to 2002) have I been more optimistic that we have the right guys. But as Badol and others have rightly observed, and as McDermott himself alluded to today, there is still some work to be done until this roster and this organisation is properly rebuilt in the image that McDermott and Beane have.  It wouldn't shock me if we took a little step back in win-loss in 2018... not saying we will but it wouldn't shock me.  2019 is the year I really expect them to be able to roll a contender out of the garage on the second Sunday in September.... though of course finding their Quarterback is a key element to that.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think anybody is comfortable with where the team is at right now. I, like many others, was thrilled the playoff drought ended. Not because "OMG NOW WE'RE GOOD!" but because the distraction of that drought narrative is gone, and now the focus can be getting back to the playoffs, getting back consistently, and advancing more often than not. 

• Like (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not sure Whaley overrated his roster I just think the circumstances around the franchise meant they were always chasing it in that "one more piece" type way. The desperation to "make a statement" in the 2014 draft when under caretaker ownership, the infamous and ill advised 2015 FA splurge to support the big reputation coaching hire, the 2016 post ultimatum dash to find draft picks who could "start straight off the bus".  

McDermott and Beane are much more methodical and much more process driven and are less likely to get blown off course by events.  But make no mistake the franchise is more stable now than it was at any point in the Whaley tenure with an owner with a bit more experience willing to be hands off and a GM and Coach who are ideologically and personally aligned.  That gives us a great chance.  At no point in my Bills fandom (goes back to 2002) have I been more optimistic that we have the right guys. But as Badol and others have rightly observed, and as McDermott himself alluded to today, there is still some work to be done until this roster and this organisation is properly rebuilt in the image that McDermott and Beane have.  It wouldn't shock me if we took a little step back in win-loss in 2018... not saying we will but it wouldn't shock me.  2019 is the year I really expect them to be able to roll a contender out of the garage on the second Sunday in September.... though of course finding their Quarterback is a key element to that.  

I mostly agree, I think 2019 for being a contender is a bit optimistic and depends on what is given up (if we move up for a QB) and how well FA next offseason goes in reshaping the rest of the roster. I am thinking 2019 will be a much better year, but the foot on the gas will come 2020...

4 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

He's right. We were a .500 team that got lucky. We have a lot of room to improve. 

I totally agree with this.  I’ll also add that finally having decent coaching out us in a position where a lot of the coin flip games finally went our way.     

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

There are a variety of reasons why the Whaley tenure didn't get beyond trending water and making a leap forward. The hiring of Rex set this franchise back by years.  Most of the blame goes to the owners who were hoodwinked by a fraud. In somewhat of a defense of Whaley he wasn't the most influential person when it came to hiring the HC. The majority of that responsibility for that disconnect again goes to the owners. They were too involved with making the hire. As owners it is their prerogative but as novices they should have sought out more and better advice before making their decisions. 

Where I am not going to shy away from criticizing Whaley is his failure to find a credible franchise qb. There is no excuse not to come up with a reasonable starter over a three or four year period. If he couldn't get it done through the draft there were other avenues to take, such as trading or through free agency. As with you I'm very optimistic about this franchise's future because there seems to be a coherent strategy on how this organization is going to be run and how the roster is going to be built. However, I'm no longer receptive to excuses on the qb issue. If a high end prospect or a credible qb from the market isn't brought in this year then my attitude will become much harsher. The thought of Tyrod being a starter for four years is an absurdity. I can understand him being a starter for the first two years. But having him as a starter in his third year was problematic. He being our starting qb for a fourth consecutive year is outright ridiculous and embarrassing. 

Good on McD!  He's absolutely correct and honest enough and smart enough to say it.  You can tell the guys here who enjoyed rex Ryan's BS bravado - they want to be sold a dream is all: " hush lil bills fans don't you cry, rex is gonna win you a playoff bye.  And if that playoff bye don't fall, rex is gonna show you bully ball. . ." I ain't johnny cash, eh.

I hope this is also a foreshadow that they are not going to trade a ton of picks to move way up for one guy this year.  I suspect it is but I'm also biased and maybe reading as I want.

Edited by sleeby

I can't believe someone actually thought we were "far along".... -I sure didn't.

McDoomed must do more than state the obvious here... He's got an owner who believes in him... A GM he knows and understands... And, as much as I hate to

reflect on it, -A wildcard football team... That's should be more than enough to build on... Git R done McD.... NO EXCUSES.

Edited by #34fan

5 hours ago, nucci said:

a relief that we may go backwards? Not for me. You are supposed to build on your previous season...not go backwards

Not necessarily true.

If you have a unsteady foundation on a house, you need to take some time and fix that before you address other areas/expand.

Trying to spend all your resources to plug leaks in a ship that was already sinking is not smart.

In the case of the Bills, we basically fell into the playoffs, we weren't a hot, young team who peaked at the right time, we were a deeply flawed roster who did just enough, and still needed a ton of help.

We were estimated at 6.8 wins, and came out with 9.

We played above our level and got lucky a couple of times.

I actually expect a regression this year, maybe 4-6 wins, depending on the QB situation (we have a rough schedule too)

4 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

If we were 4-12 but that Rookie was playing at a high rookie level.

1986 Bills were 4-12 in Jim Kelly's *Rookie year.  AFC Championship game 2 years later.... just sayin'. 

Sal Capaccio  ?Verified account @SalSports 28m28 minutes ago
You have to really, really parse words and try to read into what McDermott and/or Beane said re: Tyrod today. Phrases used: -"At this point" (used 4 times) -"Right now" -"Day-by-day" -"Unless something changes" -"he'll be here through that part" -"Way too early"

Sal Capaccio  ?Verified account @SalSports 26m26 minutes ago
One thing neither said was that he will be on the Bills' roster in 2018.
  • Like (+1) 2

Not surprised. This team was more lucky than good, and definitely NOT the best team throughout the playoff drought. I fully expect a regression next year, especially if we are starting a rookie QB.

And that's ok.

We got the playoff monkey off our back. That is huge for this organization, and huge for this young coach.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Last year was year one of rebuilding and they made the playoffs.  We'll see where year 2 takes us.

Disagree. I see it as Year 0. A wash, if you will. Whaley was still GM through the draft, and Beane didnt start cleaning house until later on. Year 1 is upon us now with the new FO. That's why McD was happier to stockpile 2018 picks instead of getting players "right now".

3 hours ago, Doc said:

What makes this rebuild unique is that the team got considerably older in the first year.

Most re-builds start with some kind of youth movement........this started the other way around.

More of a re-tool in that regard I guess.......for example: they shuffled in Gaines......then Davis will likely replace him this year.......then hopefully in year 3 they will have accumulated enough chips(draft picks/FA dollars) to fill the spot with a younger guy who will overlap into Tre White's second contract.    

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What makes this rebuild unique is that the team got considerably older in the first year.

Most re-builds start with some kind of youth movement........this started the other way around.

More of a re-tool in that regard I guess.......for example: they shuffled in Gaines......then Davis will likely replace him this year.......then hopefully in year 3 they will have accumulated enough chips(draft picks/FA dollars) to fill the spot with a younger guy who will overlap into Tre White's second contract.    

This is how I keep looking at it...2017 was sort of a "re-shape the team image and try to survive on the field" year; 2018 will be a "fill some key spots, set the stage, and try to keep on-field performance up" year; 2019 will be a "load up on talent and let's make a run" year if all goes well.

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

This is how I keep looking at it...2017 was sort of a "re-shape the team image and try to survive on the field" year; 2018 will be a "fill some key spots, set the stage, and try to keep on-field performance up" year; 2019 will be a "load up on talent and let's make a run" year if all goes well.

Last year/this year was dump the bad contracts, create the cap space and begin to establish the culture....