Rapaport: Bills won’t cut Tyrod, fine with paying 6 mill bonus

YoloinOhio

As I read Rappaport's tweets, what I am reading is that #1. the Bills are not satisfied with just letting Tyrod become a free agent.  #2. once they pay his bonus they will retain two options - keep him or trade him.  The are willing to do either depending on how the trade market looks.  The bonus, being a bonus will count against the Bills' salary cap in any case, but because it is a bonus, it makes the remainder of Tyrod's compensation much more palatable to any potential trading partner.  In simple terms, Tyrod becomes much more tradeable if the pay him his bonus.  No other team is going to trade with Buffalo for Tyrod now because they don't want to deal with the bonus.  The downside of this notion, of course, is that it increases Buffalo's already high dead cap number.  They do have room to absorb it, and that dead cap money all disappears next year.  Obviously, the Bills will draft a QB this spring, but it may not be Darnold, Rosen, Allen or Mayfield.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

I guess you have never heard me say that wins/losses are a team stat I guess

Isn't that my job?  Kind of like DC Tom, only different

"Wins and Losses are a Team Stat.  Wins and Losses are a Team Stat!"

30 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

A lot of fans just like to blame Tyrod for pretty much everything that was wrong with the offense last season... when in reality the OC was awful, the WR corps was awful and the offensive line regressed. Not many if any QBs would function very well in those conditions.

Tyrod isn't Eli Manning, but just a year ago Eli was among the best in the league. This past season with an awful offensive line, depleted recieving corps and just plain bad coaching he sucked. Go figure.

And, in a surprise to no one, a bunch of folks are talking about how Eli is all washed up (he got benched!) and the Giants are ready to take a QB at #2 and Move On.

The Giants may or may not draft a QB at #2, depending upon how they personally evaluate the physical and mental makeup of these QB. 

But my guess is that given an infusion of talent at OL, RB, and WR the demise of Eli Manning will be seen as prematurely predicted.

38 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

As I read Rappaport's tweets, what I am reading is that #1. the Bills are not satisfied with just letting Tyrod become a free agent.  #2. once they pay his bonus they will retain two options - keep him or trade him.  The are willing to do either depending on how the trade market looks.  The bonus, being a bonus will count against the Bills' salary cap in any case, but because it is a bonus, it makes the remainder of Tyrod's compensation much more palatable to any potential trading partner.  In simple terms, Tyrod becomes much more tradeable if the pay him his bonus.  No other team is going to trade with Buffalo for Tyrod now because they don't want to deal with the bonus.  The downside of this notion, of course, is that it increases Buffalo's already high dead cap number.  They do have room to absorb it, and that dead cap money all disappears next year.  Obviously, the Bills will draft a QB this spring, but it may not be Darnold, Rosen, Allen or Mayfield.

Not just depending upon how the trade market looks - depending upon other options in FA and what happens in the draft.

Of course, those things will also influence the trade market. 

8 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I'm okay with Jackson at 21 and I'm okay with Tyrod in Buffalo another year. As much as I want Cousins or Keenum, not a chance that happens, we don't have the cap room to make that happen, so why dump our starting QB? 

Cap can be manipulated to do what teams need it to do.  If  they want Cousins and Cousins wants the process, they can make it happen.

big bonus this season, low salary.  Salary bumps up significantly next season when Bills will have 80+ million to spend (if reports are accurate).

8 hours ago, SoTier said:

IMO, this should actually make the "draft a QB" crowd very happy.  If true, it seems a pretty strong indication that the Bills aren't going to pursue Cousins as a long term starter and are going to draft a QB. 

Not necessarily.  It tells me that we will know day one of FA if they will pick up that six million.  If they're in on Cousins it will happen day 1 of FA.  And I do believe Cousins will be a pursuit (Not saying they will get him).  At that point they would let Tyrod walk.  

But if they don't get Cousins Tyrod is still in their hip pocket and they can give him his 6 mil and play the waiting game.  

Edited by purple haze

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Do they do a lot of surgeries on rockets?

Not taking a QB in this class would be a mistake imo.  If we don't, there's many free agents and possible trade targets (Foles) out their that would be an upgrade over Taylor.

I absolutely want us to draft a QB!  We should be drafting a QB in the first 3 rounds every few years when one we like falls to us - regardless of whether we need one.  We should be so much the more drafting QB when we have a known need!

Foles may be an upgrade on Taylor.  If we don't give him a better OL, amazing WR, and a coach who can and will game-plan to his strengths and work on his weaknesses, we might just be surprised to find how little an upgrade he is.  Could be a downgrade, even!  Same goes for Keenum.

As far as "many", every time I ask folks for a list, they come up with QB one bathmat or hit away from life with a cane (Bridgewater, Bradford), QB who are complete or almost complete dark horses (AJ McCarron with his 3 games at a mighty 185 ypg, throwing to Green and Sanu), or greybeards like Moore and McCown.  Color me unpersuaded on the available evidence.

As for rocket surgery, not too often, but when it's needed, it's needed.  Check this out:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/22467698/how-kinston-north-carolina-became-greatest-producer-nba-talent-america

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Makes more sense than 2-3 years of Bradford at a big deal, Tyrods dead money on top and a rookie 

unless you are getting something for Tyrod— the 1 year contract and lack of dead money put him ahead the other guys that aren’t much better (if at all)

This is just great Tyrod will be the mentor for our next QB which will most likely be a pocket passer. Tyrod the mentor of passers. Lol. Just great I'm so excited.  

Maybe he can teach him to run after 1 read. Tuck and run  make sure u don't throw the ball into windows u don't want to throw pks make sure u punt that's much better for us. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

This is just great Tyrod will be the mentor for our next QB which will most likely be a pocket passer. Tyrod the mentor of passers. Lol. Just great I'm so excited.  

Maybe he can teach him to run after 1 read. Tuck and run  make sure u don't throw the ball into windows u don't want to throw pks make sure u punt that's much better for us. 

I could be mistaken, but I had the impression that on a well-run team (*cough* Eagles *cough*), the QB coach is the one teaching the QB the game as he wants it played, and the "mentoring" aspect is more along the lines of work ethic, the amount and type of preparation to put in pre-meetings, how to "get right" after a game and so forth.  I mean, the knock on Foles was that he bails out of the pocket when you pressure him and doesn't progress in his reads, so he surely wasn't teaching Wentz those things.  They were both learning.

If we're expecting our vet QB to be coaching our rookie, then maybe that's our problem and we need to draft a better QB coach.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be mistaken, but I had the impression that on a well-run team (*cough* Eagles *cough*), the QB coach is the one teaching the QB the game as he wants it played, and the "mentoring" aspect is more along the lines of work ethic, the amount and type of preparation to put in pre-meetings, how to "get right" after a game and so forth.  I mean, the knock on Foles was that he bails out of the pocket when you pressure him and doesn't progress in his reads, so he surely wasn't teaching Wentz those things.  They were both learning.

If we're expecting our vet QB to be coaching our rookie, then maybe that's our problem and we need to draft a better QB coach.

Our QB coach is a career 35yrs wrs coach.  So maybe Tyrod will be his QB coach it seems like he's more qualified at this pt.

Btw the bridge QB is the mentor and will not teach him how to play QB but give him advise to what he does in certain situations.  So tuck and run baby don't throw into windows and be ultra conservative.  Make sure we turn it over the natural way by punting that's what i would do.  That's the Tyrod way. 

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh no..........guys like Bradford and Keenum will surely take a one year deal to be a bridge for a QB the Buffalo Bills just traded up for.:doh:

These aren't 36 year old Matt Hasselbecks.........they are looking for places to start long term and playing in front of a first round pick is not that.

I don't understand your post...it reads like you are mocking my comment, but you seem to have the exact same opinion as me, that Bradford and those types are NOT going to sign to be a 1 year bridge here.  That was my whole point...so not sure if your response reads wrong or if you misread my post, but you seem to literally just echo the same thing I just said multiple times.

For someone to land one of those guys its going to take more than a 1 year deal and more money than TT.  So Bills as a team are better off keeping TT who comes off the books next year and is cheaper anyway.  Then in 2019, if the rookie had not already taken over in 2018, they will certainly be the starter and we dont have a cap eating high priced bench warmer like Bradford and TT is off the books and gone.  We then sign a cheap backup option (unless Peterman wins that job who is also cheap) to our new shiny rookie we drafted this year.  

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yes, if they get what they want.... ie: what they feel is fair.  And I'm betting McDermott and Beane value Taylor a helluva lot more than some here think they do.

If they don't get what they feel is fair, they likely keep him.

I agree , we shouldn't just let him go for nothing and as much as I want make sure we have an upgrade first.

It would make no sense to move on from Taylor unless a better Qb is on the roster.  I dont mean more potential, actually better today.  Taylors salary isnt bad, no reason to make a mistake at Qb because you are desperate.  With his bonus not until the third day they could sign or trade for a Qb and then cut him.  If they are poised to draft a rookie Taylor makes for good competition or bridge Qb.  He provides a level of play that needs to be surpassed.

• Like (+1) 2

This is not about keeping Tyrod folks. That ship has still sailed. This is about maximising his trade value. 

The Bills are essentially willing to take a cap hit by paying the option to buy a draft pick (or an improved draft pick). 

Cleveland remains my prediction. They have zero at the position and might be taking a guy in Darnold who is not ready day 1. Arizona is in play too depending on what their draft plan is. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Tyrod + Lamar Jackson = worst case scenario, as they are pretty much the same player; Jackson just happens to be a bit taller.

Which, honestly could make a world of difference. Tyrod can't see over the middle. I'm not saying it's a guarantee it's all a crap shoot. But Tyrod is the best this team has probably had since Bledsoe or even kelly. Give him 3 inches, and the same playmaking ability, he could be great. I know it's not a popular opinion, but him with some more height could be huge...

It also could mean he'd have some effed up knees by now though, so it's a risk either way. Not that I want Jackson, but I don't think he's the worst risk to take.

5 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Nope, I knew the Bills would not have a great defense but with the secondary being totally gutted I thought they might have a shot at having a good secondary and get turnovers. Numbers are not everything, Shady picked up a ton of critical 1st downs and kept drives alive. He was easily the MVP of the Bills offense. 

So did Taylor. Taylor was fantastic on 3rd downs in 2017.

55 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is not about keeping Tyrod folks. That ship has still sailed. This is about maximising his trade value. 

The Bills are essentially willing to take a cap hit by paying the option to buy a draft pick (or an improved draft pick). 

Cleveland remains my prediction. They have zero at the position and might be taking a guy in Darnold who is not ready day 1. Arizona is in play too depending on what their draft plan is. 

It's hard to see any team trading for Tyrod. 

I can't even imagine us getting a 7th for him to be honest. 

Edited by Klaista2k

Let first days of free agency play out. Will the Bills sign a FA QB , will a team make a trade for Taylor if the Bills pay the $6M option. 

They can release Taylor before March 16 or decide to keep him 1 more year as a bridge.

• 2018 Roster Bonus: $6M (due 3/16/2018, $1M fully guaranteed at signing)

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

If it hasn't already been stated, this looks like it means the Bills won't be in the Cousins Derby.  I don't think they would spend that $6M on Taylor's bonus if they were pursuing the FA QB that is going to cost a boatload of $.

It’s a good decision. Paying Kirk Cousins $30M a year isn’t going to end well for someone.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

If it hasn't already been stated, this looks like it means the Bills won't be in the Cousins Derby.  I don't think they would spend that $6M on Taylor's bonus if they were pursuing the FA QB that is going to cost a boatload of $.

I have never believed they would pursue him.  He's not the type of QB a team should build around. 

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Me, too.  Was never gonna happen, alas.

But let me ask you this:  If the Bills had signed him, how do you think he would have performed with our OL and our WR corps, and Dennison?

Similarly to the way he performed with the Rams is my guess.

11 hours ago, papazoid said:

SMOKESCREEN.....

beane is  using the press to try and save $1 million in cap space

TRADE:  Pre March 16th: $7.64M dead cap ($10.44M savings)

RELEASE: Pre March 16th: $8.64M dead cap ($9.44M savings)

much harder to trade TT if people know the bills will release him

The last and first sentences, true dat. 

The middle - not quite right.  What's true is that $1M of Tyrod's 2018 salary is guaranteed.  If he's cut and goes unsigned, the Bills are on the hook for it.

If he is signed, even though the Bills cut him, they owe him $1M - his salary.  So if he's signed for >$1M, they owe him nothing.  If he's signed for vet minimum, they owe him $85,000.

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

About the same as Tyrod to be honest. 

I think, worse.  Fans would have been all "oooooh" at first 'cuz he would be trying to sling it, but our guys wouldn't be open or wouldn't be able to haul it in.  Then he'd be confused by certain Ds and throw 3-4 picks a game, and still bail out of the pocket early but be unable to do as much once he did bail.

As Dan Dierdorf said about Kelly in one of the Superbowl losses, "it's hard to throw completions when you're sitting on your ass"

17 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I have never believed they would pursue him.  He's not the type of QB a team should build around. 

SMH, who is then?  I think OBD should just book a flight to the QB orchard and pick the next Rodgers off a tree.  I think the Bills were interested.  But I think his price has gone up past their number, and they know it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think, worse.  Fans would have been all "oooooh" at first 'cuz he would be trying to sling it, but our guys wouldn't be open or wouldn't be able to haul it in.  Then he'd be confused by certain Ds and throw 3-4 picks a game, and still bail out of the pocket early but be unable to do as much once he did bail.

As Dan Dierdorf said about Kelly in one of the Superbowl losses, "it's hard to throw completions when you're sitting on your ass"

SMH, who is then?  I think OBD should just book a flight to the QB orchard and pick the next Rodgers off a tree.

It's called draft and develop. Just as GB did with Rodgers.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

SMH, who is then?  I think OBD should just book a flight to the QB orchard and pick the next Rodgers off a tree.  I think the Bills were interested.  But I think his price has gone up past their number, and they know it.

Just a reminder that Matt Shaub looked more than adequate in a Dennison offense, and no reason to believe that Foles would have been a horror show

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

About the same as Tyrod to be honest. 

I'm not advocating for Cousins. He's not worth what he will garner from the market. But I disagree with your stance that his numbers would be comparable to Taylor's. The difference is that Cousins can read defenses and get rid of the ball. And he is a much better passer. What do you think Tyrod's value would be on the open market compared to Cousins being on the market? There would be suitors for Cousins and zero suitors for Tyrod at the price that the former Redskin is commanding. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

I'm not advocating for Cousins. He's not worth what he will garner from the market. But I disagree with your stance that his numbers would be comparable to Taylor's. The difference is that Cousins can read defenses and get rid of the ball. And he is a much better passer. What do you think Tyrod's value would be on the open market compared to Cousins being on the market? There would be suitors for Cousins and zero suitors for Tyrod at the price that the former Redskin is commanding. 

He’s talking about Foles

If Daboll would use Taylor like Lynn , and get the OL back to playing  like under Kromer . A healthy Glenn at LT or RT. 

A 1 year bridge to develop a drafted QB and Peterman. All depends what the Bills do in free agency before March 16 when $6M is due.

8 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

PS, just got back from Black Panther too. I really liked Michael B Jordan. That was one of the best villains in a long time for Marvel.

he looked pretty jacked in that movie.  he played a RB on the show Friday Night Lights.  the Bills shoulld give him a workout, assuming he could pass the ped tests! 

With the Bills picking up the option, which in my mind was never really a question, I don't think I ever considered it a viable alternative for the Bills to simply cut Tyrod in early March, mainly because it's doesn't improve the team at all, it is now a real consideration the Bills intentionally keep Tyrod until Draft day. Of course if they can garner a good offer, and for that I mean a 3rd round pick or better - I don't see that happening up to the Draft - then they'll take it. But, I think more likely than not, teams will try to trade a 5th, maaaaybe a 4th for Tyrod in hopes the Bills jump, and they might.

But I think it's just as likely the Bills go to the Draft with Tyrod in pocket, able to bluff the league into thinking he's staying, only to get their guy and then trade him for a mid round pick or even more likely to package him with another player and / or pick to help them improve their Draft position, but at that point, they'll know exactly what they have.

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's called draft and develop. 

Even the draft picks who develop into a decent NFL QB, more often or not, have a ceiling at or below what Cousins has shown.

And then there are those who don't.

I'm not dissing on the "draft" idea.  I think every team has to look at their roster and decide how much they can "pay the man" at QB and still develop, so if Cousins went over their price, I'm good with moving to the next plan. 

I just don't think it's realistic to paint Cousins as "not the sort of QB you build your franchise around" but plan to get someone better through "draft and develop".  You'll be lucky to get someone who winds up as good after 3 years, you have to live through those 3 years, and then you gotta start figuring out how to pay him.

Edit: You added the "Just like GB did with Rodgers" after I responded, but there's a very telling point there: at the point where GB developed Rodgers (and San Diego developed Rivers.  And possibly as NE developed Garappolo), they had a HOF starting QB.  So if it's "just like Green Bay", who is our HOF QB (or even our capable vet) we can play and win with while our draft-and-develop plays out?

1 minute ago, ALF said:

If Daboll would use Taylor like Lynn , and get the OL back to playing  like under Kromer . A healthy Glenn at LT or RT. 

A 1 year bridge to develop a drafted QB and Peterman. All depends what the Bills do in free agency before March 16 when $6M is due.

TT still couldn’t pass under Alynn and the offense was incredibly unbalanced. The stats looked good but the wins did not because defenses knew what they had to do in crunch time and they were one dimensional. A  DFS passing game is not a recipe for success. You have to have a balanced offense.

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

he looked pretty jacked in that movie.  he played a RB on the show Friday Night Lights.  the Bills shoulld give him a workout, assuming he could pass the ped tests! 

I remember him from FNL