Rapaport: Bills won’t cut Tyrod, fine with paying 6 mill bonus

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

To be fair, the Bills scored 24 against the Jets in 2016, not 31. There was a defensive TD, plus 7 of those 24 were in absolute garbage time. That Steelers game wasn't remotely close. More garbage time points - a td with one minute to go.

Points count the same no matter who scores them or when.

I was at that Steelers game and although the offense didn't do much either, that was the worst exhibition of "tackling"  I've ever seen in my entire football watching career.

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

This doesn't mean anything on whether or not the Bills are going to keep him.

If they pay the $6 million, he's much easier to trade. Not only that, but his contract is so cheap for the position that it's not a huge hit to them if they have to eat some money. 

$10 million for a serviceable but mediocre starter with "potential" and/or a quality backup at the QB position is good value that other teams would likely be interested in. This is actually smart if the Bills hope to get something in return for him.

...exactly.......with 2017 contracts expiring on 3/14 as well as start of FA, the roster bonus due 3/16 is a gun to McBeane's head......instead of sacrificing a pick, opposing GM's would sit back and wait for his possible release, figuring McBeane wouldn't pay the $6 mil....he now takes that off the table and the gun away from his head, hoping to get a pick.....a potential new club gets him with a $10 mil salary......

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Points count the same no matter who scores them or when.

I was at that Steelers game and although the offense didn't do much either, that was the worst exhibition of "tackling"  I've ever seen in my entire football watching career.

until the fins game right after that....... 

man those were some frustrating games to watch.

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Great! How come his stats for a 16 game season don't compare favorably to other NFL starters?

Also, is he the only starter who has guys get hurt, or gets injured himself? Or do other guys play games without some of their WRs  or miss games entirely and still put up better numbers?

That's the problem here. I'm fine with making the comparison: let's take 16 of Tyrod's best games over 2 seasons where he had all of his "legit NFL starters" and compare them to the 16 best games over 2 years of every other starter when THEY also had all of their "legit NFL starters" healthy.

THEN we can see whether his play actually WAS average, below average, well above average or whatever.

Without that it's all meaningless. 27 TD and 6 INT was the stat. Cool. IT means nothing because there is ZERO CONTEXT.

In 2016, there was only one team (the San Diego Chargers) that was missing it's #1  and/or #2 WR for more games then the Buffalo Bills and Tyrod Taylor.

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

My gut sense is that McDermott and Beane like Taylor more than a lot of people think they do. I don't think they think he's a great qb, but I suspect they view him as a tough-minded gamer who has the total respect of his teammates (which is very likely the case). He can also game-manage the team to victories more often than not. Assuming you're going to draft a qb in the first, getting rid of him for an unknown doesn't seem like a wise move on the face of it.

This... exactly and precisely this! :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

You simply cannot make this statement without a league wide comparison of every QB and their top 2 targets during that 2 year period.

I did it a long time ago for a one year period: 2016.

Only the Chargers #1 or #2 WR missed more combined games than Woods and/or Watkins. 

Taylor has been dealing largely with a makeshift NFL WR corps for the last 2 years.

7 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Cam Newton won MVP under the same circumstances.

Outside of TDs, which were admittedly high, his passing numbers were not good that year. Around 235 yards per game I believe. He won MVP with his legs. Brady threw for 900 more yards, 1 more TD, and 3 fewer INTs that year. Brees threw for over 1,000 more yards in 1 less game!

4 hours ago, BigDingus said:

This doesn't mean anything on whether or not the Bills are going to keep him.

If they pay the $6 million, he's much easier to trade. Not only that, but his contract is so cheap for the position that it's not a huge hit to them if they have to eat some money. 

$10 million for a serviceable but mediocre starter with "potential" and/or a quality backup at the QB position is good value that other teams would likely be interested in. This is actually smart if the Bills hope to get something in return for him.

What would we be able to get for him in a trade though?

I really can't see any team giving more than a 6th or 7th for him.

2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Outside of TDs, which were admittedly high, his passing numbers were not good that year. Around 235 yards per game I believe. He won MVP with his legs. Brady threw for 900 more yards, 1 more TD, and 3 fewer INTs that year. Brees threw for over 1,000 more yards in 1 less game!

Outside of the points he directly scored, his numbers weren't that good?  Okay.....

He threw for ~800 yards more than TT's career high.  Had 45 TD's to TT's career high of 24.  Let's repeat that. Cam personally scored 147 more points that year.  147.

Would love to see Taylor tied to that same measure LOL.

2 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Outside of the points he directly scored, his numbers weren't that good?  Okay.....

He threw for ~800 yards more than TT's career high.  Had 45 TD's to TT's career high of 24.  Let's repeat that. Cam personally scored 147 more points that year.  147.

Would love to see Taylor tied to that same measure LOL.

And now, as per usual, you've begun arguing a point nobody made. Have a good weekend.

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

And now, as per usual, you've begun arguing a point nobody made. Have a good weekend.

I'm comparing TT to his peers.  Apparently, it's "really bad" when your #1 or #2 target misses 47% of the time.  Except when they miss >50% of the time and you win MVP.  Then, maybe, not so bad?

Have a good one!

5 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

The best thing for Tyrod is for him to be released early, preferably while the stupid money is flowing in the first days of free agency. The long the Bills hold him the more he is going to lose in terms of pay.

The team benched him in the middle of a playoff run AFTER letting him go test the market a year ago and then making him take a huge paycut to come back. Can it be any more obvious that they don't see him as "the guy" here?

Shake hands, cut the man loose, and let him continue his career with a  fresh start. This is getting stupid.

Um, when exactly did the Bills let Tyrod  go to"test the market" and come back?  Hint: look at the date FA started, and the date on Tyrod's renegotiated contract.

Meaning no offense to Tyrod, but I really don't GAF what's the best thing for him.  He's under contract to the Bills, and I want them to do the best thing for the Bills.

5 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Well, one thing this $6mil bonus signals, for those who think Peterman is a better option than Tyrod, is that McD, et al, do not.

We'll wait and see what happens on March 16th shall we?

9 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

My gut sense is that McDermott and Beane like Taylor more than a lot of people think they do. I don't think they think he's a great qb, but I suspect they view him as a tough-minded gamer who has the total respect of his teammates (which is very likely the case). He can also game-manage the team to victories more often than not. Assuming you're going to draft a qb in the first, getting rid of him for an unknown doesn't seem like a wise move on the face of it.

I think you've pretty well got it. 

I think the $6M thing was both a warning shot across the bows to GMs who may think "wait for the Bills to cut Taylor" that they better chat up Mr Beane, as well as a ranging shot that if they make the right offer, they can have Taylor for $10M salary - but the Bills are looking for the right offer, not "whatever we get before March 16th"

• Thank you (+1) 3

13 hours ago, GG said:

Just a reminder that Matt Shaub looked more than adequate in a Dennison offense, and no reason to believe that Foles would have been a horror show

Just a reminder to the reminder that Matt Schaub had Arian Foster and Andre Johnson in their primes and one of the top offensive lines in the league. And Gary Kubiak was calling the plays, so Dennison's involvement in his success is questionable. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Don't worry, that's just what he does. He gets owned so much in some of his ridiculous arguments and then just tries to twist everything around as much as possible confusing the issue, pretending like he "won," which oddly enough he seems to care waaaaayyy too much about (so much so that he can't typically see the forest for the trees) and then suddenly turns into some juvenile claiming he won an argument he never won.

Sometimes he'll make a good point, though...

sometimes 0:)

18 hours ago, JohnC said:

I'm not advocating for Cousins. He's not worth what he will garner from the market. But I disagree with your stance that his numbers would be comparable to Taylor's. The difference is that Cousins can read defenses and get rid of the ball. And he is a much better passer. What do you think Tyrod's value would be on the open market compared to Cousins being on the market? There would be suitors for Cousins and zero suitors for Tyrod at the price that the former Redskin is commanding. 

I meant Foles not Cousins. 

18 hours ago, kdiggz said:

he looked pretty jacked in that movie.  he played a RB on the show Friday Night Lights.  the Bills shoulld give him a workout, assuming he could pass the ped tests! 

He was a QB not a RB. QB for the wrong side of the tracks school. 

15 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The problem with your theory of "that ship has sailed" is that McBeane will have a "fair market value" in their heads of how much they expect to give up and in return of such a trade.

I agree that's what plan A almost certainly is to do exactly what you said.

But if you think plan B, where Buffalo doesn't get what they feel is fair market value and so keeps Taylor for 1 more year while also drafting a QB in the 1st... I think you're being naive.

Well put it this way.... if nobody offers anything then Tyrod is their vet. But I think they will take the best trade offer they have. If that is a 7th (I don'f think it would be) then so be it. 

16 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Bledsoe was terrible! Why does the myth persist? After his first 8 games (i.e., over the next 40), he was one of the worst qbs in franchise history.

How good is Tyrod Taylor u are definitely overrating that bum. He's a front runner when things are going good he shows up when we get behind by 3pts basically mail it in. 

At the end of the day Taylor doesn't even get close to checking the boxes as far as playing the position.  No anticipation,  No vision, No Timing, inaccurate,  doesn't lead Wrs open, doesn't give them a chance to gain yds after the catch.  U catch my drift. Yes he's the QB that helped end the drought by no means did he carry this team to the playoffs. He's a 3rd teir starter.  We need to move on and stop wasting our time. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I meant Foles not Cousins. 

He was a QB not a RB. QB for the wrong side of the tracks school. 

Well put it this way.... if nobody offers anything then Tyrod is their vet. But I think they will take the best trade offer they have. If that is a 7th (I don'f think it would be) then so be it. 

So were gonna pay 6mil to acquire a 7th? That's what i call horrible management of your cap. We can get a quality starter with that 6mil.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I think best case is a 4th. Still shouldn't pay 6mil for that either. If they trade him before they have to take the option that would be great. 

We will see what someone might offer for Taylor a safe backup , or the Bills keep him or release by March 16 . 

Depends what happens in early free agency . 

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Don't worry, that's just what he does. He gets owned so much in some of his ridiculous arguments and then just tries to twist everything around as much as possible confusing the issue, pretending like he "won," which oddly enough he seems to care waaaaayyy too much about (so much so that he can't typically see the forest for the trees) and then suddenly turns into some juvenile claiming he won an argument he never won.

Sometimes he'll make a good point, though...

sometimes 0:)

Am I replacing Taylor as the apple of your eye? 

Oh goodie.

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

How good is Tyrod Taylor u are definitely overrating that bum. He's a front runner when things are going good he shows up when we get behind by 3pts basically mail it in. 

At the end of the day Taylor doesn't even get close to checking the boxes as far as playing the position.  No anticipation,  No vision, No Timing, inaccurate,  doesn't lead Wrs open, doesn't give them a chance to gain yds after the catch.  U catch my drift. Yes he's the QB that helped end the drought by no means did he carry this team to the playoffs. He's a 3rd teir starter.  We need to move on and stop wasting our time. 

So were gonna pay 6mil to acquire a 7th? That's what i call horrible management of your cap. We can get a quality starter with that 6mil.

but if they cut him, aren't they stuck with more than that in dead money? i think they're doing the smart thing here. i also would not doubt that they have talked to teams that would be interested depending on how the top free agents shake out.

i also think taking the chance that he may make a draft day trade easier is a real possibility, (which may also be an ongoing discussion with other teams). so worse case scenario, if i'm not mistaken is that if they end up releasing him before june 1st, then they eat a couple more mil.

tyrod will not be starting here next year no matter what(thankfully).  he is not going to want to be here, he will not take another paycut and he will not agree to be a backup here. it's just a matter of the fo and their tt exit strategy.

Edited by billsredneck1

14 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

That's what i call horrible management of your cap. We can get a quality starter with that 6mil.

Like who for example?

13 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

Tyrod will not be starting here next year no matter what(thankfully). 

I love how you state this as if it were a known fact.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So... your stance if Tyrod is still a Buffalo Bill in 2018 is clearly going to be that Buffalo was forced to keep him because no one would even offer up a 7th round pick :doh:

14 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

Am I replacing Taylor as the apple of your eye? 

Oh goodie.

:wub:

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

So... your stance if Tyrod is still a Buffalo Bill in 2018 is clearly going to be that Buffalo was forced to keep him because no one would even offer up a 7th round pick :doh:

My stance is that is a long way down their list of preferred options and has less than 10% chance of happening. 

I suspect there are a few considerations at play, primarily the fact that they are willing to pay the $6 million as an insurance policy guaranteeing that they have an adequate option with Taylor.  However that does not preclude the option of drafting a QB or for that matter upgrading at the position via FA.

Beane has stated that 2019 was going to be the year that they would be looking good in terms of cap space and paying the roster bonus doesn't affect that.

I think another consideration which would be secondary is that  by paying the bonus we do have more potential draft capital and TT is much more attractive draft bait with the Bills paying the bonus.  

However I do disagree with the notion that the Bills would trade him for whatever value they could get.  That doesn't make sense, they would most likely only trade him if they have a better option in place unless the trade offer was too good to pass up.

I'm not convinced that TT will be our starting QB next season but I am convinced that this is the strategy and that it's quite possible he could be our QB.

• Like (+1) 2

IMO

If Tyrod stays on this team another season I expect this staff to be looking like McChan after 2 seasons, old and defeated. Fans will make sure of it just like they did with Chan. Many fans expected the change at QB year one with this staff and all we got was another season of Tyrod and another OC fired. Lucky for them Cinci saved a not good enough season with a wild card, that luck took decades to happen if they expect it to happen again with Rex choice at QB I expect the will be very disappointed and the birth of McChan.

4 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

IMO

If Tyrod stays on this team another season I expect this staff to be looking like McChan after 2 seasons, old and defeated. Fans will make sure of it just like they did with Chan. Many fans expected the change at QB year one with this staff and all we got was another season of Tyrod and another OC fired. Lucky for them Cinci saved a not good enough season with a wild card, that luck took decades to happen if they expect it to happen again with Rex choice at QB I expect the will be very disappointed and the birth of McChan.

So we will fire the staff that made the playoffs after 17 years the next season? 

We we all know how desperately you want Tyrod gone. 100% of your posts reference him. The staff is taking a conservative (and intelligent) approach. You can do worse (we saw that firsthand). The plan is, and has always been, to try to draft a guy this year. They also want to have a veteran presence as well. I know that you expect any rookie to come in and be an upgrade immediately. Clearly you don’t watch much college football. These guys are all in different places. Yes, there are a couple of guys that can play day 1 (Rosen and Mayfield). There are others that will get the Mahomes treatment. The veteran (and it may be Tyrod) will play anywhere from 0 games to an entire season. Since FA comes first the Bills are going to protect themselves. That’s the prudent and responsible decision (pretty much the exact opposite of the Chan era). 

I would be ok with a cheaper Fitz (just no long throws) , hope Peterman might start , sit a drafted QB . Depends on Vikings QBs also in free agency. 

I'm just ready to move on from Taylor, he might have a long career as a backup . 

As long as the drafted QB has good potential not worried about making the playoffs in 2018. 

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, ALF said:

I would be ok with a cheaper Fitz (just no long throws) , hope Peterman might start , sit a drafted QB . Depends on Vikings QBs also in free agency. 

I'm just ready to move on from Taylor, he might have a long career as a backup . 

As long as the drafted QB has good potential not worried about making the playoffs in 2018. 

Read the bolded in reverse order and look at how ridiculous that sounds? I think that we all want an upgrade but can you explain why you want a downgrade in the short-term? That couldn’t make less sense to me. There is no reason to intentionally get worse. You have to have a guy capable of playing and your rookie. It isn’t complicated.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Read the bolder in reverse order and look at how ridiculous that sounds? I think that we all want an upgrade but can you explain why you want a downgrade in the short-term? That couldn’t make less sense to me. There is no reason to intentionally get worse. You have to have a guy capable of playing and your rookie. It isn’t complicated.

You pointed out that replacing Taylor with Peterman sounds ridiculous. Well, not as much as you think. Against the Chargers in the second half of the season the coaching staff made the change from Taylor to Peterman. The coaching decision wasn't based on serendipity; it was based on how Taylor played in the previous games and how Peterman played in practice. That change certainly didn't work out in the Charger game but let's not make it out as if Tyrod played lights out was most responsible for leading this team to the playoffs. The best that can be said of his play is that he didn't lose games for us. 

Make no mistake what I'm saying here. I'm not blaming Taylor for all the struggles that this team has been subjected to. What I am saying and it is evident for everyone to see is that the organization is looking for a better option, even if it is a temporary option. Don't be so dismissive of those saying that Peterman may be a better option at qb than Taylor. The cap consideration may weigh in more than you think in this decision. You might be surprised at how what you believe is a logical and reasonable outcome at qb is not what the staff believes is a reasonable and logical outcome. 

41 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Read the bolded in reverse order and look at how ridiculous that sounds? I think that we all want an upgrade but can you explain why you want a downgrade in the short-term? That couldn’t make less sense to me. There is no reason to intentionally get worse. You have to have a guy capable of playing and your rookie. It isn’t complicated.

The Bills last playoff win was  30 Dec  1995 that's what ridiculous. A better draft position while rebuilding instead of 8 or 9 wins won't hurt long term at this point.

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You pointed out that replacing Taylor with Peterman sounds ridiculous. Well, not as much as you think. Against the Chargers in the second half of the season the coaching staff made the change from Taylor to Peterman. The coaching decision wasn't based on serendipity; it was based on how Taylor played in the previous games and how Peterman played in practice. That change certainly didn't work out in the Charger game but let's not make it out as if Tyrod played lights out was most responsible for leading this team to the playoffs. The best that can be said of his play is that he didn't lose games for us. 

Make no mistake what I'm saying here. I'm not blaming Taylor for all the struggles that this team has been subjected to. What I am saying and it is evident for everyone to see is that the organization is looking for a better option, even if it is a temporary option. Don't be so dismissive of those saying that Peterman may be a better option at qb than Taylor. The cap consideration may weigh in more than you think in this decision. You might be surprised at how what you believe is a logical and reasonable outcome at qb is not what the staff believes is a reasonable and logical outcome. 

It is ridiculous at this point. No one thinks (including the Bills staff) that they would yield the same results (hence downgrade). If the Bills believed in Peterman they certainly wouldn’t be picking up Taylor’s option. If they can’t trade him he will be on the roster. 

The Bills are planning on drafting a QB. We all agree on that (at least I think). It is abundantly clear to me, that they are going to protect themselves while the rookie gets ready. They will have a viable starting option on the roster. It may be Tyrod, it may be Fitz, it may be McCown, it may be Bradford, etc... It absolutely 100% won’t be Peterman. I’d wager my 401K on that. 

2 minutes ago, ALF said:

The Bills last playoff win was  30 Dec  1995 that's what ridiculous. A better draft position while rebuilding instead of 8 or 9 wins won't hurt long term at this point.

But they aren’t going to take a step back at this point. They don’t believe that to be a good strategy. They are full speed ahead at this point. It may take a couple of years to get there but they have no intention of more steps back. They have cleared the deck already.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It is ridiculous at this point. No one thinks (including the Bills staff) that they would yield the same results (hence downgrade). If the Bills believed in Peterman they certainly wouldn’t be picking up Taylor’s option. If they can’t trade him he will be on the roster. 

The Bills are planning on drafting a QB. We all agree on that (at least I think). It is abundantly clear to me, that they are going to protect themselves while the rookie gets ready. They will have a viable starting option on the roster. It may be Tyrod, it may be Fitz, it may be McCown, it may be Bradford, etc... It absolutely 100% won’t be Peterman. I’d wager my 401K on that. 

We do agree that the Bills will probably use a high draft pick on a qb in this draft. So on that issue we are in accord. That's not to say that there won't be a surprise free agent pickup (not Cousins) who might allow us to get a qb prospect in a lower round. 

As of yet the Bills haven't picked up Taylor's option. I'm not as sure as you are that they will so. I said it before and I will say it again: Peterman is more likely to be on the roster than Taylor. Don't assume that the Charger game was a disqualifying game for how Peterman is perceived by the staff. I strongly believe that the TT era is over with. You believe less so.  We shall see. 

side note: http://gogriffs.com/watch/?Archive=3356&type=Archive

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

We do agree that the Bills will probably use a high draft pick on a qb in this draft. So on that issue we are in accord. That's not to say that there won't be a surprise free agent pickup (not Cousins) who might allow us to get a qb prospect in a lower round. 

As of yet the Bills haven't picked up Taylor's option. I'm not as sure as you are that they will so. I said it before and I will say it again: Peterman is more likely to be on the roster than Taylor. Don't assume that the Charger game was a disqualifying game for how Peterman is perceived by the staff. I strongly believe that the TT era is over with. You believe less so.  We shall see. 

side note: http://gogriffs.com/watch/?Archive=3356&type=Archive

I will be watching this afternoon!!

35 minutes ago, JohnC said:

In the second half of that game (which I attended), the coaching staff made the change back to Taylor. That wasn't serendipity either. It was based on Peterman's performance. When Taylor played that second half, against the same defense playing at the same intensity, the difference was remarkable. The Bills looked like two deferent teams. 

The Bills are not going to cut Taylor because they have Peterman on the roster. Peterman is not a viable starting QB.

• Thank you (+1) 1