Rapaport: Bills won’t cut Tyrod, fine with paying 6 mill bonus

YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

he won't start again in this league unless the qb he is backing up gets injured .  he is terrible 

I don't think you know what terrible is.  I've seen plenty of terrible QBs for the Bills since the 1960's and Taylor isn't terrible at all.  The numbers don't say that and neither does his play by eye.  He has flaws for sure, but your opinion is extreme. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

33 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Since the Year-End Press Conference OBD has been as tight lipped as an Aldebaran Shellmouth.

Rapaport's story seems like it came from OBD.  Why would the Bills announce out of the clear blue (the first real news about a player) that they are planning

on keeping TT past the bonus date?  To say, "Hey, we like TT and plan on having him play this year (which he still is under contract for) and we want to tell the

whole world about it"?

There is something more to this.

If this news didn't come from OBD than it means nothing.

Well, if we're going by what's said or not said, Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane have spoken on the subject of Tyrod Taylor twice since the season ended.  Once at the year end PC and once at the Senior Bowl.  At the year end PC, here's some of what Beane said:

"We're not satisfied with the whole offense and it wasn't just about Tyrod.  There are a lot of hands in the cookie jar so to speak.  Sean and I are going to talk about everything.  We know we have to get better on offense, defense and special teams. We are far from a finished product.  We have a lot of work to do and we know that.  That's going to get started pretty quickly after this press conference."

"The great thing about Tyrod is you can never question his work ethic.  He does so many good things and gives himself the best chance to succeed on the field, by what he does off."

at the senior bowl, here's some of what was said by Beane and then McDermott:

Beane: "Tyrod did a lot of good things and you have to look at what are the things he could have done better? What are the other things that happened? Was it receivers running the wrong route? Maybe we could have run a better play. There are just so many different things that you could do, and I’m sure Tyrod knows there are things he could’ve done better. We’re still early in the process. We like Tyrod a lot. He works hard and he does a lot of good things.”

McDermott: “I’m not going to get into Tyrod’s future. Like I mentioned earlier, we’re still going through our evaluation. Those decisions will come at some point down the road here. I thought the quarterback position, in particular Tyrod, and then Nate (Peterman), did some good things. I’ve mentioned before the work ethic, the intangibles that Tyrod brings to the table are very much appreciated and a big part of how we did things this year and what we were able to do. I thought he did some good things. So, overall, we’ll continue to evaluate where we are and what’s right for this organization moving forward.”

The one thing everyone keeps reaching for as almost the sole evidence that Taylor is obviously gone is his benching, which would go a long way in that argument if Dennison, (the guy who reportedly wanted Peterman rather than Taylor because Peterman was the better fit) wasn't fired.  But Dennison was fired, and looking at the part of Beane's quote I underlined, I think he and McDermott knew they wanted him gone at that PC, if not earlier.  And the guy we brought in as OC spent an entire year last year working with a very limited run first QB who is a fraction the QB Taylor is.

I just think the writing is more on the wall for Taylor to stay than he is to leave, barring a massive trade up in an effort to get one of the top couple prospects.

4 hours ago, simool said:

Boy, you sure do like that Peter, man.

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Not even true (while I do hope he ends up good) I just cannot stomach another season of Taylor and screaming at the TV to throw the ball 

giphy.gif

21 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Nope, I said he might make the playoffs with a great season from Shady and defensive turnovers. I also said they would lose the playoff game and Taylor would have a bad game.

It wasn't a great season from Shady, first of all.  Shady had one of the worst YPC years of his career.

Defensive turnovers?  Did you literally say "defensive turnovers" or, like many, did you say something like "Taylor could only be the QB of a team with a great defense!" ???  I can believe you said the latter, not the former.  Our defense got timely defensive turnovers in a lot of games this year.  But our Defense was average, at best.

21 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

Peterman played one awful game.  I would still rather play him then watch Taylor sit in the pocket and do nothing.  He is bad.  

Bwahahahaha!!!!

And this is the pathetic ridiculousness of this argument.

There are people here so neck deep in their own blind hatred of Taylor as a QB that they lose touch with reality.  Peterman sucks.  It was one awful game... the worst half in a half a century from a QB, along with a pass that is still in the air to the sideline in a playoff game waiting to be picked!

If Peterman does one thing this offseason, he better get in the gym with an expert QB like Tom Brady and figure out how the hell to make his arm strong enough to throw simple NFL throws like a sideline out.

21 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Either way it won't matter, If Taylor is QB in 2018 McD and Beanie will be fired and their will be no more Taylor and no more process.

I will bet you $1000 right now that if Taylor is the Bills QB in 2018 McDermott and Beane will still be coach and GM in 2019.

Hot takes galore!!!  :lol: 

23 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Translation - Trade

Yes, if they get what they want.... ie: what they feel is fair.  And I'm betting McDermott and Beane value Taylor a helluva lot more than some here think they do.

If they don't get what they feel is fair, they likely keep him.

16 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

WHY do i get the feeling there are posters that would literally cut off their own nose to spite their face?

people are idiots.

It's that simple.

16 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

he won't start again in this league unless the qb he is backing up gets injured .  he is terrible 

Hot takes hot takes hot takes!!!

God people say such stupid things  :doh: 

5 hours ago, nuklz2594 said:

it aint rocket surgery.....unless we do not take a qb early and go with tyrod and peterman

Do they do a lot of surgeries on rockets?

Not taking a QB in this class would be a mistake imo.  If we don't, there's many free agents and possible trade targets (Foles) out their that would be an upgrade over Taylor.

22 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't think you know what terrible is.  I've seen plenty of terrible QBs for the Bills since the 1960's and Taylor isn't terrible at all.  The numbers don't say that and neither does his play by eye.  He has flaws for sure, but your opinion is extreme. 

The worst I've seen here are Trent Edwards and EJ Manuel.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It wasn't a great season from Shady, first of all.  Shady had one of the worst YPC years of his career.

Defensive turnovers?  Did you literally say "defensive turnovers" or, like many, did you say something like "Taylor could only be the QB of a team with a great defense!" ???  I can believe you said the latter, not the former.  Our defense got timely defensive turnovers in a lot of games this year.  But our Defense was average, at best.

Nope, I knew the Bills would not have a great defense but with the secondary being totally gutted I thought they might have a shot at having a good secondary and get turnovers. Numbers are not everything, Shady picked up a ton of critical 1st downs and kept drives alive. He was easily the MVP of the Bills offense. 

5 hours ago, McBean said:

Another great reason to turn off the TV on Sundays in 2018 to spend time with family.

I can’t watch another Bills game with Tyrod Taylor under center.

Reactions like these are priceless.............if the Bills can't get a Darnold/Rosen the tears of the anti-Taylor machine would at least serve for great amusement on TSW.:lol:

And btw McBean........the Buffalo market had the highest TV rating for the SB.....featuring a team we HATE........and watching the 2017 team play not to lose was like watching paint dry and yet they watched.......so you and all Bills fans will be watching.......don't kid yourself it's a totally HOLLOW whiny threat on your part. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I actually love this. No upgrade, no reason to move on. If we get 2015,2016 Taylor, with our D , we have serious potential.

We were a top 10 O two years in a row with Tyrod. Zone read in the red zone was $$$$$$$.

If Dabol puts him in the right scheme, with our D and the kick game, it's 10 + wins.

Dennison was brutal.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Meant if we signed a FA vet this year as a bridge for a rookie, to get one of the better choices it will likely take a 2 year deal because there will be competition for their services and they will cost as much or more than TT will.  

So in 2019 when rookie takes over (if he hasn’t already) Tyrod comes off the books at no cost as he has 1 year left on his deal.  Then we can go sign a cheap backup if someone like Peterman hasn’t worked out to be the backup.  If we sign a new vet to a 2 year deal, then we are going to have cap space being chewed up by a pricey backup or have to cut him and take a cap hit.  

So best finacial choice woukd would be to keep TT and draft a rookie than sign a vet for more to a 2 year deal and draft a rookie.   

Oh no..........guys like Bradford and Keenum will surely take a one year deal to be a bridge for a QB the Buffalo Bills just traded up for.:doh:

These aren't 36 year old Matt Hasselbecks.........they are looking for places to start long term and playing in front of a first round pick is not that.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Reactions like these are priceless.............if the Bills can't get a Darnold/Rosen the tears of the anti-Taylor machine would at least serve for great amusement on TSW.:lol:

And btw McBean........the Buffalo market had the highest TV rating for the SB.....featuring a team we HATE........and watching the 2017 team play not to lose was like watching paint dry and yet they watched.......so you and all Bills fans will be watching.......don't kid yourself it's a totally HOLLOW whiny threat on your part. :thumbsup:

I live in Chicago, I only buy Sunday ticket to watch Bills games. I will not buy Sunday ticket if Taylor is still here so I won't be watching football in 2018. It will be unfortunate because I have won FFL two years in a row and won 1,600 $$$$. I guess FHL will be my next challenge.

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I live in Chicago, I only buy Sunday ticket to watch Bills games. I will not buy Sunday ticket if Taylor is still here so I won't be watching football in 2018. It will be unfortunate because I have won FFL two years in a row and won 1,600 $$$$. I guess FHL will be my next challenge.

:lol:

Keep em coming! :lol:

Who else won't be watching the Bills if Taylor starts?:lol:

So I go to see Black Panther and this thread has gone off the rails!! There are already people planning on quitting the Bills if the bring back a veteran QB, with a winning record, as the bridge guy. Beane and McDermott should be fired for that? You people are seriously nuts!! Do you even like the Bills?

I don’t think anyone thinks that Tyrod is the long-term answer. Some of you have even banged the table for AJ McCarron to get the keys but Tyrod Taylor isn’t capable of being the bridge guy?!? The hot takes are just flying around at the moment. 

• Like (+1) 7

12 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Methinks you weren’t watching much in 2015-2017 either. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

You can’t give up now!! You have back-to-back championships to defend!!

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Methinks you weren’t watching much in 2015-2017 either. 

Or 2000-2015

• Haha (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So I go to see Black Panther and this thread has gone off the rails!! There are already people planning on quitting the Bills if the bring back a veteran QB, with a winning record, as the bridge guy. Beane and McDermott should be fired for that? You people are seriously nuts!! Do you even like the Bills?

I don’t think anyone thinks that Tyrod is the long-term answer. Some of you have even banged the table for AJ McCarron to get the keys but Tyrod Taylor isn’t capable of being the bridge guy?!? The hot takes are just flying around at the moment. 

How was the movie?

29 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Yes, Brady got benched. But why? Was it because of contract terms like Tyrod? I don't remember.

Because they didn’t want him to get hurt. That’s the same reason that the Bills didn’t play Tyrod in Week 17. If he got hurt his entire salary would have been guaranteed. The Bills didn’t know what they wanted to do with him so they wanted flexibility. He ended up taking a pay cut and it worked out perfectly for them.

The opposite happened with Blake Bortles this year. He just had surgery and now the Jags are on the hook for like $19M. He wouldn’t have gotten that without the injury guarantee. Bortles is kind of a genius though for making that happen.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

How was the movie?

It was really good. 

7 hours ago, 1billsfan said:

It's actually a smart move if they do plan on drafting Lamar Jackson. Taylor's contract is off the books in 2019 and any decent FA QB signed this year will want more than a one year deal. That means they'll have a lot of draft picks (this year) and salary cap (next year) to support Jackson's chances of success.

This. Getting rid of a middling QB with a middling contract without signing a replacement always seemed stupid to me. 

21 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Where have you been the last 18 years?  Trent ... JP ... EJ ... Fitz ... Lewis ... Tuel Time ... Nasty Nate ...

You always have to remember.....as Wawrow referenced......... that there were plenty of fans who thought a totally busted-up, never-was, bust of a QB named Kevin Kolb was an upgrade over Fitz.

27 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Because they didn’t want him to get hurt. That’s the same reason that the Bills didn’t play Tyrod in Week 17. If he got hurt his entire salary would have been guaranteed. The Bills didn’t know what they wanted to do with him so they wanted flexibility. He ended up taking a pay cut and it worked out perfectly for them.

The opposite happened with Blake Bortles this year. He just had surgery and now the Jags are on the hook for like $19M. He wouldn’t have gotten that without the injury guarantee. Bortles is kind of a genius though for making that happen.

It was really good. 

You really don't need to explain this. He is either trolling or an idiot. 

24 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

What makes you think that? To be good at FFL don't you need to watch a **** ton of football.

Not really. Fantasy is like 80% luck and 15% being awake earliest on Wednesdays. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Amen. I think even the biggest TT fans know we should look to upgrade, but we've seen much worse (Peterson)

Even if he's not a bridge, and we go get Rosen or Darnold, the Eagles reaped massive benefits by trading up for Wentz and then dealing Bradford. This just makes perfect sense.

PS, just got back from Black Panther too. I really liked Michael B Jordan. That was one of the best villains in a long time for Marvel.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Yes, Brady got benched. But why? Was it because of contract terms like Tyrod? I don't remember.

Pretty sure they were just resting him for the playoffs. BB didn't want him to sit out the entire game so he gave him a half to play from what I recall.