Rapaport: Bills won’t cut Tyrod, fine with paying 6 mill bonus

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I'd much rather use the cap 6 mill on a position of need and avoid the 2019 dead cap hit by cutting him. What do you realistically think you can trade Tyrod for? A 5th maybe? There are so many better options then this.

I would look at as more of a trade chip vs what you can get for him on his own. For example, maybe he is packaged with picks to Cleveland to get to 4. 

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I was just going to post this. I happened to be watching it. It’s starting to look like Tyrod and a rookie to me. 

as it should be. Financially sound. Lets them fill holes and look to the future.
we all know the big question

Which QB, and when , and how much does it cost to get their guy ?

Couple good things about keeping Taylor:

1.) If we cut him and failed to land a top free agent, we would be empty handed which is a possibility because we don't have as much cap space as other teams.

2.) We aren't in a frenzy to draft a QB, the board can come to us and it will be harder for other teams to see our hand.

3.) Taylor has 1 year on his deal, perfect bridge QB. Sit the rookie down, start Taylor and let him walk after his contract expires.

4.) Cutting Taylor and signing another middle of the road QB would take up more valuable cap space for essentially the same results.

5.) If we do land a rookie QB that is showing dominant traits early on, we can trade Taylor to a team that has an injured starter or a team that failed to draft or sign a viable option in free agency.

6.) His teammates love him.

7.) We made the playoffs with Tyrod with a Swiss cheese roster, we can do it again with 4 picks in the top 2 rounds.

Just now, xRUSHx said:

Easiest way to piss away millions just to get stuck with him.

We need a veteran here so we aren't forced to rush the rookie. If it isn't Tyrod it's gonna be someone else that hasn't accomplished anything in their career. Sit back relax and let the off-season play out. It's no secret the Bills want to go all in on a franchise QB.

7 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I'd much rather use the cap 6 mill on a position of need and avoid the 2019 dead cap hit by cutting him. What do you realistically think you can trade Tyrod for? A 5th maybe? There are so many better options then this.

...probably best case......so you'd be paying $6 mil for a 5th.....maybe McBeane is looking at packaging it.....still think he preserves upper draft capital (1sts and 2nds) but who knows?...now if that 5th got us another Kyle Williams 5th, we're on to something .......right.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

3 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Hotter take, Vegas has Bills as 3rd worse odds in the league.       

Everyone is laughing at our depth chart of terrible QB’s 

Everyear vegas has us as the worst team

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...probably best case......so you'd be paying $6 mil for a 5th.....maybe McBeane is looking at packaging it.....still think he preserves uper draft capital (1sts and 2nds) but who knows?...now if that 5th got us another Kyle Williams 5th, we're on to something .......right.........

Or another Franchise QB like Pickman. :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 1

Wow, one report and everyone is up in arms. Having said that, IF true this makes sense. It’s kind of like in baseball when a team trades a player but eats a portion of the salary. I can see Tyrod in orange and blue and someone saying ‘ the Bills are paying you $6million not to play there’.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would look at as more of a trade chip vs what you can get for him on his own. For example, maybe he is packaged with picks to Cleveland to get to 4. 

It's all out of my hands. The only thing one can hope for is a package deal somehow in the works already like you described behind the scenes already.

Some of the other opinions make me scratch my head though, like keeping TT as a bridge to groom a rookie? Do we really want Tyrod to mentor our next possible "high" drafted 1st rd pick rookie? I sure as hell don't...

I truly want this FO to be successful. If they botch this up It could be the end of the line. For once this is one of the better FA QB years along with several promising draft prospects at QB. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....any progress reports on the dome construction yet?......

"My sources are saying there have been high level negotiations with the EPA to give a tax credit to solyndra to make the new stadium totally green. Solyndra will lease the adjacent land from our development to place their solar panels. Our attorneys are lobbying Donald Trump to hold a rally at the groundbreaking ceremony."

2 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

"My sources are saying there have been high level negotiations with the EPA to give a tax credit to solyndra to make the new stadium totally green. Solyndra will lease the adjacent land from our development to place their solar panels. Our attorneys are lobbying Donald Trump to hold a rally at the groundbreaking ceremony."

...perhaps incorrect, but thought I heard Dunkirk Don agreed to donate his endless stream of "natural fertilizer" to ensure a natural grass field......based on its "quality", better plan on mowing that bad boy four times a day........just sayin'...............

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Quick mock offseason assuming Tyrod is the bridge:

FA: Paul Richardson, Vontae Davis, Preston Brown, Dontari Poe, Seantrel Henderson

Draft: Lamar Jackson, Maurice Hurst, Sam Hubbard, Malik Jefferson, Anthony Miller, Mark Walton, BPA, BPA

Nice

6 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

It's all out of my hands. The only thing one can hope for is a package deal somehow in the works already like you described behind the scenes already.

Some of the other opinions make me scratch my head though, like keeping TT as a bridge to groom a rookie? Do we really want Tyrod to mentor our next possible "high" drafted 1st rd pick rookie? I sure as hell don't...

I truly want this FO to be successful. If they botch this up It could be the end of the line. For once this is one of the better FA QB years along with several promising draft prospects at QB. 

I have no problem with him mentoring a rookie. He works hard, is smart, has a professional attitude. He’s the 1st guy in and last guy to leave. His teammates look up to him. You could have a worse guy showing the ropes.

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

Nice

I feel like that’s a pretty good team. We may have to make a cap sacrifice or two (maybe Lorax). Just thinking out loud of how to round out the roster. We will have boatloads of cap space next year too.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Actual quote:

"At this point, it doesn't seem like they're going to cut him without knowing who his replacement will be," Rapoport said. "The Bills are OK with paying a $6 million roster bonus to keep him on the roster."

The prevailing thought has been that Buffalo would move on from the 28-year-old quarterback either by releasing him or through a trade. While the latter option appears to remain on the table, per Rapoport, the Bills won't simply jettison their starting quarterback at this time.

Key words: "won't jettison" "without knowing who his replacement will be"

It is smart IMHO to not cut last year's starting QB without next year's starter on the roster.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I have no problem with him mentoring a rookie. He works hard, is smart, has a professional attitude. He’s the 1st guy in and last guy to leave. His teammates look up to him. You could have a worse guy showing the ropes.

What about Tyrod/Baker? Similar skill set, height. Baker more accurate, better pocket passer.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I feel like that’s a pretty good team. We may have to make a cap sacrifice or two (maybe Lorax). Just thinking out loud of how to round out the roster. We will have boatloads of cap space next year too.

....and from his storied skill set, what would you like him to pass on as a mentor to the 1st round rook and Peterman?.....

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Love the d line. Would become a strength. Linebackers better. 

24 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...probably best case......so you'd be paying $6 mil for a 5th.....maybe McBeane is looking at packaging it.....still think he preserves upper draft capital (1sts and 2nds) but who knows?...now if that 5th got us another Kyle Williams 5th, we're on to something .......right.........

No.  You are paying $6M for the right to negotiate with future QB from a position of having a QB who can start and win (or at least not lose) half your games on the roster.

That is smart.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No.  You are paying $6M for the right to negotiate with future QB from a position of having a QB who can start and win (or at least not lose) half your games on the roster.

That is smart.

...removes the purported gun from McBeane's head with the 16th looming as bonus payment day....opposing GM's who thought they could call his bluff and wait him out got snookered ...yes it is a smart move IMO........

They must think that they can trade him for more than I think they can.  I would be surprised if they could get a 5th round pick for him and that would not seem to be worth paying his $6M bonus this year.

I expect if they do this, they are declaring that they won’t be big FA buyers (wasted cap money).

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I could get behind that. I love Baker.

Do you really believe that if the Bills drafted Baker there wouldn't be an immediate loud chorus to play him rather quickly? I have said it before that the best situation for both TT and the Bills is to have a fresh start. If the Bills can't make a deal to get one of the top three qbs in this draft then it would make some sense to keep him, although I would still be against it. 

Just now, JohnC said:

Do you really believe that if the Bills drafted Baker there wouldn't be an immediate loud chorus to play him rather quickly? I have said it before that the best situation for both TT and the Bills is to have a fresh start. If the Bills can't make a deal to get one of the top three qbs in this draft then it would make some sense to keep him, although I would still be against it. 

Baker and Rosen are the 2 guys that I think can play day 1. Bills fans will call for whomever to play day 1 but I think anyone outside of those 2 needs time. Seeing as FA comes first you need to insure yourself with a vet. 

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

They must think that they can trade him for more than I think they can.  I would be surprised if they could get a 5th round pick for him and that would not seem to be worth paying his $6M bonus this year.

I expect if they do this, they are declaring that they won’t be big FA buyers (wasted cap money).

Or....they are preparing for what could happen like a diaster like everything goes wrong in free agency and the draft at qb

because that COULD happen

19 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Somebody is investing in rotten fruit.

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

And maybe he would play right away. Earn it in camp.