Rapaport: Bills won’t cut Tyrod, fine with paying 6 mill bonus

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

That is the second time. The official reason for Tyrod's benching never came out. Injury guarantee (or whatever it was), it looks bad on Tyrod's career anyway. Simply, he still got benched. A top 10 QB will not be benched like that. Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady will not get their butts embarrassed in that manner regardless of the contract terms.

We lost that game and it didn't even matter. What did it add up to? A higher draft pick? I can't recall.

If you want to count that as a benching I don’t know what to tell you. You certainly weren’t seeing the forest through the trees. If he got hurt the Bills were on the hook for his contract. It actually just happened with Blake Bortles. The Bills were eliminated (thanks to Rex botching the Miami game). It was in their best interest to lose. It’s not complicated to see why they played EJ. EVERY QB would be sent to the sidelines in that situation. 2 + 2 = 4...the math on this one is just as easy

Oh man.... I can think of a few posters who have been arrogantly proclaiming the Bills would never pay him this bonus  :doh:

C'mon guys!!!  Still a chance to put yourself on record with the 21.5% of us who've been saying Tyrod would still be a Bill for one more year!  :lol: 

Edited by transplantbillsfan

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you want to count that as a benching I don’t know what to tell you. You certainly weren’t seeing the forest through the trees. If he got hurt the Bills were on the hook for his contract. It actually just happened with Blake Bortles. The Bills were eliminated (thanks to Rex botching the Miami game). It was in their best interest to lose. It’s not complicated to see why they played EJ. EVERY QB would be sent to the sidelines in that situation. 2 + 2 = 4...the math on this one is just as easy

That game will forever live in infamy as Gugny's last stand.

Go Ej go.

10 minutes into the game.   Oh EJ.   

Oh Ej.     WTF?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So the benching didn't happen? It happened. I saw him standing there on the sidelines. He didn't play. Like I spelled it out, the reasons behind it doesn't matter. I hope the Bills take Lamar Jackson (if he's still there for us and if they have balls to take a QB). I don't think Cousins want to come to Buffalo.

Since we made the playoffs, yes, I have to keep Tyrod. Handing off a playoff team to a rookie QB is a bad look. Bills brass do not know if they can land a proven QB. Therefore, they have to keep Tyrod. I'm fine with it.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

So the benching didn't happen? It happened. I saw him standing there on the sidelines. He didn't play. Like I spelled it out, the reasons behind it doesn't matter. I hope the Bills take Lamar Jackson (if he's still there for us and if they have balls to take a QB). I don't think Cousins want to come to Buffalo.

Since we made the playoffs, yes, I have to keep Tyrod. Handing off a playoff team to a rookie QB is a bad look. Bills brass do not know if they can land a proven QB. Therefore, they have to keep Tyrod. I'm fine with it.

Tom Brady got benched against the Bills too (for the 2nd half). The circumstances dictated it. It’s common sense, not complicated at all.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So they want to pay the bonus to make it easier to trade?

And keep their options close to their vest till Draft day.  The Bills wouldn't let 6M come in the way where another team in the Top 5 could hold them to Draft Ransom if they didn;t have a QB on the roster. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

I don't care if Jackson was better in 2017 than he was when he won the Heisman in 2016 (reality check: Manziel, Tebow, Leinart and Jason White won the Heisman too).  Bottom line, Jackson is nothing more than a taller version of Tyrod Taylor and would need the right offensive coordinator and offensive scheme to even have a chance of succeeding in the NFL.

Thanks for your opinion Bill Polian.

I think this is more a sign of the Bills 1- Not wanting to get rid of him unless they have a capable veteran option in place 2- They feel like he has decent trade value. I think Tyrod is gone although looking at the market for veteran QB's beyond Cousins I don't see a QB as good as Tyrod out there that can actually stay on the field. As far as his trade value, I think some team might give a 4th for a Tyrod rental. Alex Smith was acquired for a 3rd and a young corner, I think some team like the Cardinals or Broncos that miss out on the QB carousel could be willing to throw a mid-round pick for Taylor. 

Edited by billsfan89

Tyrod was benched for Nathan Peterman, NOT EJ. EJ was the first benching. Still looks bad. Tyrod will be gone (unless we make the playoffs again with him under center). Can Tyrod sustain drives? No, only sometimes. Can Tyrod convert third downs with his arm consistently? NOPE. I see a big sample size to show that; 2 full years.

We got lucky making the playoffs last season. Yes, it was luck. That's not gonna happen next season. I hope we do make the playoffs again even with Tyrod as QB. But if we don't make the playoffs, Tyrod is gone.

Just now, Buffalo Ballin said:

Tyrod was benched for Nathan Peterman, NOT EJ. EJ was the first benching. Still looks bad. Tyrod will be gone (unless we make the playoffs again with him under center). Can Tyrod sustain drives? No, only sometimes. Can Tyrod convert third downs with his arm consistently? NOPE. I see a big sample size to show that; 2 full years.

We got lucky making the playoffs last season. Yes, it was luck. That's not gonna happen next season. I hope we do make the playoffs again even with Tyrod as QB. But if we don't make the playoffs, Tyrod is gone.

He might not make it past March 16th. 

3 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I'm okay with Jackson at 21 and I'm okay with Tyrod in Buffalo another year. As much as I want Cousins or Keenum, not a chance that happens, we don't have the cap room to make that happen, so why dump our starting QB? 

If we're signing a FA, absolutely we could make that happen.  The contract just needs to be structured to have lots of up front money they can amortize over 5 years, and start clicking the big salary next year.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I really do believe you are mistaken, and I started out with that point of view before watching film. 

Bottom line:  Jackson as a Jr threw 36% more attempts and 33% more yards than Tyrod threw as a Sr (by far his best year).

Tyrod played in a very simple one-read offense, throw and go.

Jackson took most snaps from shotgun, but makes pre-snap adjustments, audibles, and regularly makes progressions.  He doesn't have much of a pocket, but he does step up consistently into throwing lanes when they're there and is always looking to throw when he rolls out (a lot of his runs appear to be designed runs)

His footwork/mechanics are still developing, but he has a laser for an arm and is more accurate than his completion percentage suggests.  He flicks his wrist and BOOM.  His WR are charted as dropping 11 or 12% of his passes, the highest amoung the top QB.  Allen is 7 or 8% I believe.

I'd suggest that you watch some film, except that I found it hard to watch his footwork and progressions (and I was really really trying to) because his running is so stunning.

Try this, which doesn't have runs, it helped me.

And this: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2662128-the-education-of-lamar-jackson-how-louisville-qb-went-from-project-to-superstar

And this:  https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/20/16928908/lamar-jackson-quarterback-wide-receiver (scroll down to it's 2018)

Also, let it be known Hapless that Jackson posted his career stats in 2 and 1/2 seasons. He didn't start his freshman season until halfway through. So, to me, this makes his accomplishments that more impressive.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He might not make it past March 16th. 

I'll admit, Tyrod is a bad starting QB. I don't want him here any further. He's a good back up though. If Lamar Jackson is still available by the time we pick, I take him. During games if I was the QB coach, I tell Lamar, "Hey see what Tyrod is doing out there? Don't do that. Look to pass first. Don't ever look to run like Tyrod. Make your reads, keep it simple, and throw to the open man as fast as you can."

Just now, Buffalo Ballin said:

I'll admit, Tyrod is a bad starting QB. I don't want him here any further. He's a good back up though. If Lamar Jackson is still available by the time we pick, I take him. During games if I was the QB coach, I tell Lamar, "Hey see what Tyrod is doing out there? Don't do that. Look to pass first. Don't ever look to run like Tyrod. Make your reads, keep it simple, and throw to the open man as fast as you can."

IMO, Jackson wouldn't begin the season as the #1 QB over Taylor in 2018. In a scenario with both of them on the roster,  he could supplant him at some juncture in-season.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If we're signing a FA, absolutely we could make that happen.  The contract just needs to be structured to have lots of up front money they can amortize over 5 years, and start clicking the big salary next year.

Problem is, if we did sign Cousins, we'd be spent. Not a penny left for anyone else, that's worrisome to me.

If we went after Case Keenum:

1.) Is he a 1 year wonder?

2.) Do you want to hitch your wagons to him and commit long term? Because in my mind, he is going to get a fat contract.

Nick Foles would be a decent fall back option, but like Keenum, is he a flash in the pan? Do you want to give up draft picks and money to acquire him?

That leaves a bunch of other mediocre options, why dump Taylor at that point? Especially for a lateral move.

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

You have also been in favor of tanking.

What?? You must have me confused with someone else. I have NEVER wanted this team to tank for a better pick or any other reason 

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

If he can't take the job from Tyrod, then he probably doesn't deserve to start.

That's an insanely low bar. We were 31st in passing this season. 

3 hours ago, simool said:

Boy, you sure do like that Peter, man.

Not even true (while I do hope he ends up good) I just cannot stomach another season of Taylor and screaming at the TV to throw the ball

3 hours ago, prissythecat said:

So you would rather see the Bills throw 50 interceptions in a season and crush the NFL record. *

*With Peterman's 10% interception rate,  extrapolating to a full season with ~500 attempts means 50 interceptions.

I won't base 1 game on how good Peterman will or won't be. He looked pretty decent in the Colts game and the end of the saints game. I'd even out the Patriots game in there (when Taylor got hurt) but his recievers were not helping him any 

3 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

Unless he learns how to protect himself....that is not happening

Didn't the bills have the 3rd best line in the league this year? Give him a full off season and camp and some decent recievers. Again, I'm just saying I'll take Peterman over Tyrod in a heart beat 

4 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

If he struggled like that against a legitimate, tough SEC defense in a bowl game, what do you think is going to happen to him when he gets to the NFL and has to go up against defenses that are 10 times as tougher, faster and stronger than that?  Also, did Jackson even have to make pre-snap reads in Petrino's offense?

2) Yes  1) I imagine it depends some on what talent he has around him.  He's not a can't-miss finished prospect, but this ooohing and gooing around after Allen and Darnold while dissing Jackson is silly to film-watchers.  What legitimate, tough SEC defenses did Allen face?  Or Darnold?  (I'm asking, college football isn't my thing) 

OOOOOoooh, Darnold 3 fumbles and 1 INT against OSU, much better than 4 INTs <----sarcasm

Give me a break. 

None of this makes any sense. So if the Bills cant trade Taylor they want to keep him? Which means other teams aren't willing to part with a 5th rd pick in order to acquire Taylor. If they won't part with a 5th rd pick what is Taylor's worth in the FA market? Why would the Bills want to keep a QB that is most likely going to be a backup on his new team. I don't see Taylor even getting a contract worth 10 mil a year. 

What would Taylor's value be in a trade? I'm guessing no team will give up a 3rd or 4th rd pick for Taylor, so if the Bills can't get even a 5th rd pick from another team we are going to keep him. This would be grounds for spontaneous combustion of Beanie and McD.

SMOKESCREEN.....

beane is  using the press to try and save $1 million in cap space

TRADE:  Pre March 16th: $7.64M dead cap ($10.44M savings)

RELEASE: Pre March 16th: $8.64M dead cap ($9.44M savings)

much harder to trade TT if people know the bills will release him

Edited by papazoid

1 minute ago, papazoid said:

SMOKESCREEN.....

beane is  using the press to try and save $1 million in cap space

TRADE:  Pre March 16th: $7.64M dead cap ($10.44M savings)

RELEASE: Pre March 16th: $8.64M dead cap ($9.44M savings)

Beane is making sure he has a better option in hand before moving on from Taylor.  Lesson learned from Buddy Nix. 

• Like (+1) 1