Rapaport: Bills won’t cut Tyrod, fine with paying 6 mill bonus

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If they sign a Free Agent who represents an upgrade then it's quite possible.

that would be ideal......but even if they strike out in free agency, I say TT gets released by third day

this whole rapaport story is about improving the bills chances of trading TT for anything during that 3 day window

Just now, papazoid said:

that would be ideal......but even if they strike out in free agency, I say TT gets released by third day

this whole rapaport story is about improving the bills chances of trading TT for anything during that 3 day window

Doesn't make sense to do that IMO. 

7 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

We keep Taylor on the roster in 2018 and he sucks fans are going to **** into a vornato. I won't be here for that chaos and it an absolute certainty.

This message board will be like 500 baboons throwing poo at each other.

its possible not fact

9 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

None of this makes any sense. So if the Bills cant trade Taylor they want to keep him? Which means other teams aren't willing to part with a 5th rd pick in order to acquire Taylor. If they won't part with a 5th rd pick what is Taylor's worth in the FA market? Why would the Bills want to keep a QB that is most likely going to be a backup on his new team. I don't see Taylor even getting a contract worth 10 mil a year. 

What would Taylor's value be in a trade? I'm guessing no team will give up a 3rd or 4th rd pick for Taylor, so if the Bills can't get even a 5th rd pick from another team we are going to keep him. This would be grounds for spontaneous combustion of Beanie and McD.

3 minutes ago, papazoid said:

maybe....but absent a trade,  I think they are releasing him by the third day of league year

Since the Year-End Press Conference OBD has been as tight lipped as an Aldebaran Shellmouth.

Rapaport's story seems like it came from OBD.  Why would the Bills announce out of the clear blue (the first real news about a player) that they are planning

on keeping TT past the bonus date?  To say, "Hey, we like TT and plan on having him play this year (which he still is under contract for) and we want to tell the

whole world about it"?

There is something more to this.

If this news didn't come from OBD than it means nothing.

You also have to take into consideration that Tyrod is poster boy for Team Eagle Scout that McDermott and Beane are trying to build.  They know he will help any rookie and is a great role model for getting in early, staying late, watching film, being a good citizen. That goes a long way with these guys. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Doesn't make sense to do that IMO. 

you lose nothing by trying to trade him

they are moving on from TT

if they do it now (first 3 days) they have $7.6 or 8.6 mil in dead cap

if they gamble and wait longer this year, they give him a $6 mil bonus and dead money goes up to $13.6

if they get stuck with him all year he counts $18 mil in cap this year and then an additional $5.5 in dead money for 2019

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

Trade Ramifications
Pre March 16th: $7.64M dead cap ($10.44M savings)
March 16th - June 1st: $13.64M dead cap ($4.44M savings)
Post June 1st: $8.08M dead cap ($10M savings), additional $5.56M dead cap in 2019

Release Ramifications
Pre March 16th: $8.64M dead cap ($9.44M savings)
March 16th-June 1st: $13.64M dead cap ($4.44M savings)
Post June 1st: $8.08M dead cap ($10M savings), additional $5.56M dead cap in 2019

Edited by papazoid

Just now, papazoid said:

you lose nothing by trying to trade him

they are moving on from TT

if they do it now (first 3 days) they have $7.6 or 8.6 mil in dead cap

if they gamble and wait longer this year, they give him a $6 mil bonus and dead money goes up to $13.6

if they get stuck with him all year he counts $18 mil in cap this year and then an additional $5.5 in dead money for 2019

Trade Ramifications
Pre March 16th: $7.64M dead cap ($10.44M savings)
March 16th - June 1st: $13.64M dead cap ($4.44M savings)

Release Ramifications
Pre March 16th: $8.64M dead cap ($9.44M savings)
March 16th-June 1st: $13.64M dead cap ($4.44M savings)

Not the issue.  Who's the replacement?

58 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Gonna be like when we ran Fitz outta town.  If Tyrod starts next year, gonna be pitchforks and torches!

No, it won't.

It will be a normal opening to the season.

New era field will be sold out to begin the season.

Fans will be excited and cheering.

The difference, I'm sure, will be that fans will also be much more quick to turn on Taylor.  But if McDermott decides to keep Taylor and start him, I'm sure he'd be doing it because he believes the change from Dennison to Dabol could make a huge difference.

It's a process  :flirt: 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

What doesn't make sense is to keep a QB that no other team wants that you know cannot win you a super bowl.

News flash: There are not enough Super Bowl or even quality starting QBs in the NFL.  It makes no sense to change for the sake of change. Upgrade is the goal obviously.

2 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

nathan-peterman-brett-favre-01760e0636ac

Who much are the tickets to your stand up act? 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

News flash: There are not enough Super Bowl or even quality starting QBs in the NFL.  It makes no sense to change for the sake of change. Upgrade is the goal obviously.

Who much are the tickets to your stand up act? 

For you? Free of charge. 

Not the issue.  Who's the replacement?

I hear you loud and clear.....unfortunately TT's contract may not afford beane the luxury to know before the third day

i'm not throwing good money after bad to recoup value.....I've seen all I need to see on TT.....he's done

only a proven free agent fulfills your preferred way (cousins, foles, keenum ?) all of those guys may take longer than 3 days to listen to offers and decide where they want to play.

any plan to draft a QB does not mean they will be better than TT....draft is a crapshoot 

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Who cares about the replacement when the ultimate goal is to win the super bowl and the QB's on the current roster have no chance to do it.

Jags nearly made it to the SB. Do you remember Phil Sims with the Giants..and the other Giant QB that beat us on the wide right?

Just now, papazoid said:

I hear you loud and clear.....unfortunately TT's contract may not afford beane the luxury to know before the third day

i'm not throwing good money after bad to recoup value.....I've seen all I need to see on TT.....he's done

only a proven free agent fulfills your preferred way (cousins, foles, keenum ?) all of those guys may take longer than 3 days to listen to offers and decide where they want to play.

any plan to draft a QB does not mean they will be better than TT....draft is a crapshoot 

That's not the way a good GM would approach the QB position given the dearth of quality across the league.  

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If Taylor is not released I will be taking a break from the Bills, NFL and FFA in 2018. I will be working astronomical OT at work instead of watching the NFL. I guess I could watch the Sabers more.

I'll be very curious if Taylor is still under center this year how many of you actually stick to this proclamation.

It's amazing how much hatred some of you have for Taylor.  Yes, it's hatred.  Not hatred for the man.  Hatred for the QB.  If you hate Taylor the QB enough to not watch your favorite team on the 16 guaranteed days you get to watch him in a 365 day calendar year then, well, I think that's strange, especially coming off a season where we made the playoffs and in an offseason where I expect we will massively upgrade many other positions, especially if Taylor is retained and we don't trade up for a QB.

I expect this team to be better next year, no matter who's under center.  I'm excited to find out who's under center. 

I know this, for me, as a fan the football season is too short to not watch the games.  I really don't care who's under center. 

If Taylor's under center, I expect it'll be in his last year as a Bill with a rookie waiting in the wings, but if he starts, I'll watch and be excited in September.

If the Bills acquire Cousins somehow, which I just don't think is going to happen, but if they do, I'll watch and be excited in September.

If the Bills go out and get Trevor Siemian, Josh McCown, Brian Hoyer, Tom Savage or some other crap QB I don't want, I'll still watch the Bills and be excited in September.

I would never say another fan isn't a fan, but I just don't get fans who say stuff like this... or, more specifically, fans who actually follow through with stuff like this, since I think there's a lot of hot air people like to throw out here.

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

2019 would have a dead cap hit?

Meant if we signed a FA vet this year as a bridge for a rookie, to get one of the better choices it will likely take a 2 year deal because there will be competition for their services and they will cost as much or more than TT will.  

So in 2019 when rookie takes over (if he hasn’t already) Tyrod comes off the books at no cost as he has 1 year left on his deal.  Then we can go sign a cheap backup if someone like Peterman hasn’t worked out to be the backup.  If we sign a new vet to a 2 year deal, then we are going to have cap space being chewed up by a pricey backup or have to cut him and take a cap hit.  

So best finacial choice woukd would be to keep TT and draft a rookie than sign a vet for more to a 2 year deal and draft a rookie.   

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

After watching the playoffs and Super Bowl their is no way a Taylor lead offense would be able to compete in a game like that. If McD and Beanie cannot see that then I'm ok with them being fired in 2019

Yeah... you were probably one of those guys who said the Bills would never make the playoffs with Taylor at QB.

Whoops!!!  :doh: 

1 hour ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

do worse then Taylor ?  it would be very hard to do worse 

No, no it wouldn't.  We don't even have to go very far, either.  We've already got a worse option on the roster who many were clamoring for at the beginning of the season :lol: 

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yeah... you were probably one of those guys who said the Bills would never make the playoffs with Taylor at QB.

Nope, I said he might make the playoffs with a great season from Shady and defensive turnovers. I also said they would lose the playoff game and Taylor would have a bad game.

43 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

None of this makes any sense. So if the Bills cant trade Taylor they want to keep him? Which means other teams aren't willing to part with a 5th rd pick in order to acquire Taylor. If they won't part with a 5th rd pick what is Taylor's worth in the FA market? Why would the Bills want to keep a QB that is most likely going to be a backup on his new team. I don't see Taylor even getting a contract worth 10 mil a year. 

What would Taylor's value be in a trade? I'm guessing no team will give up a 3rd or 4th rd pick for Taylor, so if the Bills can't get even a 5th rd pick from another team we are going to keep him. This would be grounds for spontaneous combustion of Beanie and McD.

No, it wouldn't.

Trust the process.  :thumbsup: 

33 minutes ago, papazoid said:

Why would the Bills release Taylor before upgrading the position?  :huh: 

Just brace yourself, I think you're going to be surprised.

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

No, no it wouldn't.  We don't even have to go very far, either.  We've already got a worse option on the roster who many were clamoring for at the beginning of the season :lol: 

Peterman played one awful game.  I would still rather play him then watch Taylor sit in the pocket and do nothing.  He is bad.  

4 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

Peterman played one awful game.  I would still rather play him then watch Taylor sit in the pocket and do nothing.  He is bad.  

Terrible take that I see too many other also post. Peterman isn't an NFL prospect with viable starting potential.  The same weak armed QB who melts under pressure that he was coming out of Pitt. Thus the search for a franchise QB in the draft.  

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1