now for all of youz that said foles was a mediocre backkup...

I knew Nick Foles had this in him. I've always thought very highly of him. He's a great kid. So humble... Kid slung that pigskin over the mountains tonight, really earned that MVP with his TD catch. Made a lot of people eat $#@% tonight. That was the most beautiful play I've ever seen along with Brady Bumbling his receiving TD chance by bouncing it off his smug fingertips.

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Like (+1) 1

I confess I thought there was no way Foles had that in him. Always considered him in that Fitzpatrick, Josh McCown type class of Quarterback who had that one great year before people really began to cotton on to Chip's offense. 

He has been great in the postseason though, no doubt. And he will be a starter again next year. Arizona? Mike McCoy is another Andy Reid guy going back to Green Bay days I think.... 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

To be fair.. he’s lights out. But hard to say that translates to another team. He made some nice throws the last few games. 

A lot of Foles' success in the playoffs is because Pederson and his OC have modified the Eagles offense to fit what Foles does best as well as Doug Pederson's aggressive play calling.  With a more conservative minded HC and an OC less willing to change to fit his QB, my guess is that Foles would struggle.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I confess I thought there was no way Foles had that in him. Always considered him in that Fitzpatrick, Josh McCown type class of Quarterback who had that one great year before people really began to cotton on to Chip's offense. 

He has been great in the postseason though, no doubt. And he will be a starter again next year. Arizona? Mike McCoy is another Andy Reid guy going back to Green Bay days I think.... 

Foles has always had a much better arm than Fitzpatrick, McCown etc.

If you look carefully at Foles 2014 year before he got hurt, some aspects were similar - similar pattern of YPG.  He had 6 games in 2013 of <200 yds passing, 3 in 2014.  So he (or the Shurmer/Kelly passing game) could be shut down by the right D, both in 2013 and 2014.  The big difference was a falloff in completions and a spike in INT.

You could see the shadows of that in last night's game.  Foles, on his game, can be an aggressive passer who likes to challenge coverage and rely on his WR to either catch the ball or defend it.    That pass to Jeffrey that was intercepted - a little bit off target, Jeffrey got a hand on it and in trying to juggle and catch it, knocked it back into the field of play for an INT instead of knocking it OOB - that's the sort of thing.  Between 2013 and 2014, the Eagles turned over their WR core.  Deshaun Jackson and one other player.  You can't say they gave him crap, they got Jeremy Macklin and Ertz was starting to come on - but WR differences of inches in those sort of passes dropped his completion % and increased his INTs. Then they had some changes on OL, less production from the run game, a bit less protection so throws are a bit more off target. Something not too dissimilar happened to Matt Ryan this year and his game "fell off" .  Now, would a better QB overcome that stuff?  I dunno, is Ryan a better QB?  Probably, but this sort of thing still bit him.  There's more OL and WR to QB performance than we all like to admit sometimes.

The Rams, when Foles was sent there, was a place where QB went to curl up and die.  Really, their O was a total mess.  What we've learned in hindsight is you really can't tell a thing about any QB who played there in 2015/2016 with Rob Boras (now our TE coach) as OC.  I mean, sheesh - you had two Rams cast-offs (or refugees), Foles and Keenum, facing off for the NFC championship.  When does that happen?  When you have decent QB getting screwed over by an offensive system that's when.

Other than that, until this year, Foles had a rookie season, and played 1 game for KC last year where he was very very good.  Like 66% completion for >400 yds and 3 TD good.

I have never understood where the "Foles is crap, Foles is garbage" blah blah has come from (not that that is what you're saying here, but it's been said)

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I bet Philly holds on to him.  Wentz may not be ready for offseason work.  

This is what I think happens, though Philly is over the cap and has to make some hard decisions. 

But you simply can't hurry a guy back from an ACL.  See Rams/Bradford

13 minutes ago, SoTier said:

A lot of Foles' success in the playoffs is because Pederson and his OC have modified the Eagles offense to fit what Foles does best as well as Doug Pederson's aggressive play calling.  With a more conservative minded HC and an OC less willing to change to fit his QB, my guess is that Foles would struggle.

Absolutely, this.  But you know, and I've kept saying this, SUCCESSFUL COACHES DO ADJUST THEIR SYSTEMS TO THEIR PLAYERS STRENGTHS.  Pardon me shouting.  I got frustrated saying this about Dennison/Taylor all season.  (Yes, by the end of the season, Dennison did make adjustments but arguably too little too late)

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is what I think happens, though Philly is over the cap and has to make some hard decisions. 

But you simply can't hurry a guy back from an ACL.  See Rams/Bradford

Yeah - he's under contract, and hes affordable.  Makes sense.  

Only way they consider it is if they can get a really solid return.  Top 100 Pick, and an affordable replacement like McCown or something.  

Draft isn't until April 26th.  If Wentz is still doing well in his recovery, they will probably try to trade him to someone for a 2nd.

Maybe take the Jets off the board for a QB.

Still may be some hope for Mayfield to drop to us ....

11 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

eat ****!!!!!

edit: 2/5  I apologize for starting this thread like this. I may have indulged during the game.....well maybe a little before too.

But, since there is legit discussion on Foles, I won't try to delete it.

It was a good drunk post!!!

Meanwhile, @BringBackFergy says, "hold my beer." :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

The guy came up in the clutch in the postseason and helped lead them to a super bowl win.  I don't care what anyone says about a few years ago, when's the last time we had a QB that led his team to a super bowl after being underdogs in every game? The guy deserves a lot of respect.  I hope he gets a starting job.  He earned it in my opinion.  The big question that always needs to be asked is can the QB win in the playoffs or is he an Andy Dalton...he answered that.  

This is just one of those things no one could have known. And despite this amazing chapter in his life, there's still no telling if this translates to him being a legit starter elsewhere. He seems like a really great guy and I do hope he his career keeps up like this...unless he goes to the Jets. Then I'm hoping it was all a fluke!

13 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Exactly. 

Foles wouldve sucked here with Dennisons offensive philosophy and McDermotts conservative style.

I agree.  A lot of Bills fans just don't realize how important offensive coordinators are to a QB. 

Foles went 1-5 under OC Marty Mornhinweg in his first year in Philly. 

Foles went 8-2 under OC Pat Shurmur in his second year in Philly.

Foles went 8-8 under OC Pat Shurmur in his third year in Philly. ** the offense wasn't the problem as they were #3 in PF, #5 in Yards. The defense, however, was near dead last.

Foles went 4-7 under OC's Rob Boras, Frank Cignetti in St Louis. QB Case Keenum was also there that year and went 3-2. 

Foles went 1-0 under OC Brad Childress with Andy Reid calling plays.

Foles is not the type of QB that you can send anywhere and be successful. When he has a quality OC and knows the scheme he plays brilliantly. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/5/2018 at 12:41 PM, billsredneck1 said:

eat ****!!!!!

edit: 2/5  I apologize for starting this thread like this. I may have indulged during the game.....well maybe a little before too.

But, since there is legit discussion on Foles, I won't try to delete it.

His floor is very good backup, IMHO. I'm still not convinced that's not what he is. Great game tonight, but the Eagles really used him well. 

They then switched how they used him as the playoffs began. Very smart as defenses can't count on tendencies to help them predict opponent moves. Very smart. It'll be interesting to see what he does in the future.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I agree.  A lot of Bills fans just don't realize how important offensive coordinators are to a QB. 

Foles went 1-5 under OC Marty Mornhinweg in his first year in Philly. 

Foles went 8-2 under OC Pat Shurmur in his second year in Philly.

Foles went 8-8 under OC Pat Shurmur in his third year in Philly. ** the offense wasn't the problem as they were #3 in PF, #5 in Yards. The defense, however, was near dead last.

Foles went 4-7 under OC's Rob Boras, Frank Cignetti in St Louis. QB Case Keenum was also there that year and went 3-2. 

Foles went 1-0 under OC Brad Childress with Andy Reid calling plays.

Foles is not the type of QB that you can send anywhere and be successful. When he has a quality OC and knows the scheme he plays brilliantly. 

QBs don't have win-loss records. Teams do. That stat is called "TEAM record in games started by this QB (Regular Season)"

Foles' third year in Philly - his second year under Shurmur - he was much worse than he'd been in his second year. Look at his TD/INT ratios, his yards per attempt, his yards per game, his INT percentages (insanely good 0.6% to bad 3.2%)

No question he played well the last three weeks. How well would he have played if teams had seen him all year? Dunno, but I'd guess not nearly as well. It'll be interesting going forward to see what he becomes.

Edited by Thurman#1

11 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Guys, look at ALL of his games. The guy is Joe Flacco and went on a nice run. He also had all day to throw during the Super Bowl and had many weapons. 

He's not a long-term answer for the Bills. 

He had had all day to throw but tight windows he had to fit the throws into 

and he fit every throw in there 

pats gave him all day and he took the challenge