Definitely a market for the XFL

Not in Buffalo...but in cities that lost NFL teams like St. Louis, Oakland, San Diego. Also bigger cities that don't have a team like Portland and Toronto.

NFL ratings and attendance are down quite a bit, due to a multitude of issues...like the politics involved, refs and softening of the game. Will be interesting.

• Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
2 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Tell you what, I'm all for it and will support.

I paid zero attention the first run but will tune in this time. 

I hear ya.  I'm interested to see what it looks like and will give it a chance.

I don't know if I'll watch but yesterday bulldog from wgr started ranting about wanting to stab Vince McMahon in the neck and that he was taking advantage of all the racist football fans that don't want to let black people express themselves. It made me want to give it a chance just hearing how judgemental people like him are about average fans. NFL is too political now. 

1 minute ago, The 9 Isles said:

I don't know if I'll watch but yesterday bulldog from wgr started ranting about wanting to stab Vince McMahon in the neck and that he was taking advantage of all the racist football fans that don't want to let black people express themselves. It made me want to give it a chance just hearing how judgemental people like him are about average fans. NFL is too political now. 

Bulldog is an idiot.  Anything that comes out of his mouth should be taken with a grain of salt

I should send Vince my resume...

i would manage my own team.

The Buffalo Brawlers. We can pretty much bring our Bills tailgates to the XFL...

i can see it now... A large Tables, Ladders, and Chairs match inside the arena before the game

it would be epic.. full participation from spectators...

There can only be 1 winner :P

Whether the xfl succeeds or not, I feel many may at least want to check out at least one game, if it is different, and as many seem to have problems with the NFL for various reasons. The success or level of interest could also be determined by how we all feel about a certain person, that we seem to either love or hate, as Mr. McMahons wife works for this person.

They will need to take everyone's top 5 complaints about NFL football and somehow address all of them in whatever they package together.

Offer NFL football with lower quality play, but minus all the things most fans hate about the NFL.

So for example, have no instant replay at all, or a completely different system that has to be fast, easily enforceable rules devoid of nuance and subjective reasoning, and few stoppages/commercial breaks, etc.

So many seem opposed to unlimited penalty yardage on PI, maybe make that a 15 yard penalty like college, etc.

There is a ton that you could improve upon relative to the NFL rather quickly.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

They will need to take everyone's top 5 complaints about NFL football and somehow address all of them in whatever they package together.

Offer NFL football with lower quality play, but minus all the things most fans hate about the NFL.

So for example, have no instant replay at all, or a completely different system that has to be fast, easily enforceable rules devoid of nuance and subjective reasoning, and few stoppages/commercial breaks, etc.

So many seem opposed to unlimited penalty yardage on PI, maybe make that a 15 yard penalty like college, etc.

There is a ton that you could improve upon relative to the NFL rather quickly.

Agreed.

Maybe the NFL will wake the hell up if people keep shifting away and fix the many issues with the game fans are PO'd about if this XFL thing works out? I

The only way the xfl will work is if they take everything that's wrong with the NFL, and keep it out of the xfl. 

I can't remember the name of the league that losman played in, but it failed because it was litterally the NFL with less talent. If the xfl can shorten games, stop with ridiculous penalties, stop with ridiculous rules, it might stand a chance 

Just give me a league with solid football and common sense based rules. 

There is a bigger player pool than ever before with a ton of quality players that aren't in the NFL.  I am actually very confident the quality of play will be drastically better than it was 20 years ago.  Where the XFL can succeed is in the "watchability" of the game.  Use common sense when it comes to catches, turnovers, etc.  If that requires no replay, then fine!  If there is a questionable play that can't be overturned in real time without zooming in on every little detail, it stands....period.  No micro-analyzing every single still frame to come up with a ruling (that is probably wrong anyway).  What's the old saying?  If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it's a duck.  In this case, if it looks like a catch, it is......even if there is some room for doubt.

I honestly think the XFL was ahead of it's time in a lot of ways a couple decades ago.  Now might be the perfect time to take another run at this.  It will never compete with the NFL.  But, it doesn't have to.  I love football.  A lot of people love football and miss it badly when the season is over.  If you give people like me a quality product to watch, I'm going to watch it because I love the game.  Granted, I'm the guy that loves to watch as much pro football and college football as I can possibly can cram in a week, but there are a lot of people, even if they don't want to watch as much as us addicts do, that would love to watch a game in the off season when withdrawals kick in.

So, make fun of it all you want, but me personally.....I'm rooting for Vince and the XFL to get it right this time.

4 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Bulldog is an idiot.  Anything that comes out of his mouth should be taken with a grain of salt

I had had a long drive the other day so decided to stream some WGR. Good lord those guys are absolutely atrocious. It’s truly amateur hour over there. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Tell you what, I'm all for it and will support.

I paid zero attention the first run but will tune in this time. 

I don’ disagree with you in a number of ways. 

But you have to address the prior attempt. What did people do then v. Now. What is different?

You have to do 4 big key markets. New York, LA, Chicago, and Dallas, but the other 4 teams should be in non-NFL cities. Orlando, San Antonio, Portland, and St.Louis or Toronto are some good cities to expand into. 

Eastern Conference                                   Western Conference 

1- New York                                                 1- Dallas

2- Chicago                                                    2- LA

3- Orlando                                                    3- Portland

4-St.Louis/Toronto                                     4- San Antonio

The XFL stands to work if they find a way to make it a decent football product when fans are desperate for more football. They don't need gimmicks but they do need to find a way to make the style of play feel a little bit different. I would like to see a few different rules. 

1- Unique point after attempts, 2 yards out 1 point, 12 yards out 2 points, 22 yards out 3 points, 35 yards out 4 point conversions. 

2- 10 minute halftime. Makes sense to have some sort of mid-game break but cutting it down 5 minutes would quicken the pace of games a bit. 

3- Simplified rule enforcement, clear rules on what is and isn't a catch and other convoluted rules should be cleaned up. 

4- Double the length of the end zone. You don't need to go CFL style but a 20 yard end zone instead of a 10 yard one would add a unique element. 

5-  You have to advance the ball for the clock to run in the last quarter. This would prevent kneel downs, not a dramatic element but it gives the defense a chance to get the offense the ball back in any situation. 

5 hours ago, The 9 Isles said:

You're simple

NFL ratings are down, but the total amount of viewers are up. The AFC championship game was the most viewed program on TV since the last Superbowl. The whole nobody watching thing is such Fake News. I've been to home games and away games this year, stadiums are full. Those that aren't, usually aren't.

Vince's league will suck. The skill level will be low and the rules will be different. It's not going to be a league about fun and bravado like the WWE, he's trying to make it the choir boy league. His diamond could've been Johnny Manziel and he already said no. 

Id like to see cities like Rochester get the XFL teams, Smaller cities that have no NFL or major college teams.

1 hour ago, Elite Poster said:

NFL ratings are down, but the total amount of viewers are up. The AFC championship game was the most viewed program on TV since the last Superbowl. The whole nobody watching thing is such Fake News. I've been to home games and away games this year, stadiums are full. Those that aren't, usually aren't.

Vince's league will suck. The skill level will be low and the rules will be different. It's not going to be a league about fun and bravado like the WWE, he's trying to make it the choir boy league. His diamond could've been Johnny Manziel and he already said no. 

I'd say you have your head in the sand on this issue.

6 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

Id like to see cities like Rochester get the XFL teams, Smaller cities that have no NFL or major college teams.

I'd say you have your head in the sand on this issue.

I'm glad you added value to this conversation by adding nothing. I'm sorry you can't talk to someone who has a different opinion without being an asshat.

5 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

You have to do 4 big key markets. New York, LA, Chicago, and Dallas, but the other 4 teams should be in non-NFL cities. Orlando, San Antonio, Portland, and St.Louis or Toronto are some good cities to expand into. 

Eastern Conference                                   Western Conference 

1- New York                                                 1- Dallas

2- Chicago                                                    2- LA

3- Orlando                                                    3- Portland

4-St.Louis/Toronto                                     4- San Antonio

The XFL stands to work if they find a way to make it a decent football product when fans are desperate for more football. They don't need gimmicks but they do need to find a way to make the style of play feel a little bit different. I would like to see a few different rules. 

1- Unique point after attempts, 2 yards out 1 point, 12 yards out 2 points, 22 yards out 3 points, 35 yards out 4 point conversions. 

2- 10 minute halftime. Makes sense to have some sort of mid-game break but cutting it down 5 minutes would quicken the pace of games a bit. 

3- Simplified rule enforcement, clear rules on what is and isn't a catch and other convoluted rules should be cleaned up. 

4- Double the length of the end zone. You don't need to go CFL style but a 20 yard end zone instead of a 10 yard one would add a unique element. 

5-  You have to advance the ball for the clock to run in the last quarter. This would prevent kneel downs, not a dramatic element but it gives the defense a chance to get the offense the ball back in any situation. 

It’s going to be major markets, and markets with appeal so Orlando, Portland and St Louis are out. NY, NY(NJ?), Chicago, LA, LA(SoCal?), Miami, Houston/SA, possibly Vegas since all of a sudden we can play there now and it’s Vegas. Maybe Toronto, but I don’t think Canadians will go for non-NFL or CFL football. 

No way Vince puts just one team in LA and NY. You can’t oversaturate those cities. Who knows, maybe he goes bold and puts one in Mexico City, London or maybe even Beijing. I it were me I’d find a balance between my fans who reside in places like Buffalo with the money and legitimacy of playing in a real city...but I’d also want to outdo the NFL in a very vulnerable time for the league. 

I hope to God there’s bidding “wars.” That would be awesome. “Well, the XFL is willing to pay you whatever...or you can go to the NFL and make a tiny predetermined amount of money for your rookie deal. If you make it to your next contract maybe you’ll make some money?”

1 hour ago, Gigs said:

It’s going to be major markets, and markets with appeal so Orlando, Portland and St Louis are out. NY, NY(NJ?), Chicago, LA, LA(SoCal?), Miami, Houston/SA, possibly Vegas since all of a sudden we can play there now and it’s Vegas. Maybe Toronto, but I don’t think Canadians will go for non-NFL or CFL football. 

No way Vince puts just one team in LA and NY. You can’t oversaturate those cities. Who knows, maybe he goes bold and puts one in Mexico City, London or maybe even Beijing. I it were me I’d find a balance between my fans who reside in places like Buffalo with the money and legitimacy of playing in a real city...but I’d also want to outdo the NFL in a very vulnerable time for the league. 

I hope to God there’s bidding “wars.” That would be awesome. “Well, the XFL is willing to pay you whatever...or you can go to the NFL and make a tiny predetermined amount of money for your rookie deal. If you make it to your next contract maybe you’ll make some money?”

what money is the xfl going to bid with?  not unionized, no pension....  one strike and youre out, mcmahons history of keeping his thumb on his talent.   plus he already touted his "get paid more if you win" model.

6 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

Thanks. This is the point that so many miss. There is barely enough talent to keep the NFL competitive at a high level. A second pro football league will never be filled with enough talent to appeal to casual fans. Only those who are completely obsessed with football will tune in. There simply isn’t the market imo. The appeal of the NFL is based on knowing you are watching the best, and that it’s a major event. 

the appeal to the masses, is generations-old tribal identification with ncaa and nfl teams... and fantasy football/gambling.

quality of play is secondary and is often mistaken for high scoring.  

he is going to throw these things in large markets where they will struggle to get people's attention.

imo a "foolish club" type of model with a modest start in modest sized markets... that promised to empower players (no zero tolerance for crimes or expression, and pay model based on winning), would stand a chance

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
1 hour ago, buffalo2218 said:

What's to underestimate? He's in the entertainment business, the NFL is becoming his kind of entertainment. Guess he figures he has a shot now

A lot of people are scoffing at this and not taking it seriously at all, like the vast majority of people.  Most people think there is no chance this will be successful and although I haven't watched wrestling in about 20 years, but I know McMahon is a determined and the man took professional wrestling from a fragmented regional business, to a worldwide billion dollar industry.  Hence he is being underestimated. 

I might start with looking at the demographics of where his wrestling company is having the most success. Then match those statistics against places where rating and attendance for college and arena football is the greatest. They will need to look at the population and spending habits. The final piece, and major one, is a venue present to hold the games. Stadiums should be probably like 20-30k at most to start. Finding smaller college football stadiums would work . Also have built in fans with students if done late winter/spring. 

8 hours ago, Chicharito said:

If the XFL plays April thru let's say June when the NFL lull is at its peak there is definitely a fighting chance for this to succeed!

This is what I was going to post. The NFL took so many steps to make itself a full year event when it was at its peak that there is a definite demand during that time. The league has effectively turned college football to their minor league, and there really isn't much of a place for journeymen who need to hone their game for a few years.

The USFL attracted some real talent too (Kelly and Steve Young IIRC) before one boob of an incompetent businessman ran it into the ground. I wonder that that blonde weirdo is up to these days...

32 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

A lot of people are scoffing at this and not taking it seriously at all, like the vast majority of people.  Most people think there is no chance this will be successful and although I haven't watched wrestling in about 20 years, but I know McMahon is a determined and the man took professional wrestling from a fragmented regional business, to a worldwide billion dollar industry.  Hence he is being underestimated. 

Lol that wasn't a shot at McMahaon, far from it. But as it's been mentioned by a lot of people, pro football is almost seeming like it's scripted. Well, that's right up McMahon's alley. Got me to thinking about something. Isn't it odd that 2 QBs ended up with knee injuries that were playing probably better than Brady? Watson lost to Brady, but probably wouldn't have if he didn't get hurt and Houston made the playoffs. Then there's Carson Wentz who was staring at league MVP in the face before his knee got wrecked. And if he didn't get hurt and was starting the SB, Brady probably wouldn't stand a chance in hell of winning.