Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Yeah - didn't totally hate Chan but feel he's overrated by a lot of people here.  I feel like as the season wore on people kinda caught onto his gameplans.  He also had a considerable number of stinker games for me to ever consider him a really great offensive coach.  Good guy for getting a lot out of... not a lot.  

Hackett - run run pass punt.  Next.

Roman - great run concepts, but like a total lack of anything resembling a coherent structured offense.  Too many penalties, late play calls, no motion, limiting.

Lynn - worked with romans playbook, and in general did an alright job trying to clean up the 2 minute offense and the penalties.

Rico - too many negative plays, and too cute.  

Daboll - ???????????

Lynn been best OC without his playbook sadly lol.

49 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Is it me or just been way too quiet with Baboll hiring. Like heard nothing else on him or staff changes if any.

Less is more.  

What will or can he say at this stage? 

Does he even have an NFL playbook after 1 week?  

I think all that can be said has been said. 

8 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Except for the playing fantastic part.

Anything is possible.
Likely or probable ? Not sure.

But I would not be surprised if he is kept on while drafting a guy they truly like earlier than the fifth round. Like in the first if they get line of sight.
May i suggest they want to truly fix  O line and WRs, get solid depth at RB and perhaps a protege for Shady first. Gotta protect the QB if you long term success for a rook.

and then

I would not be surprised if they drop him like a hot potato before next payday

5 hours ago, dneveu said:

Bomb to goodwin kept us in the game and we couldnt stop fitz

oh the memories.
Fitz carving us.

ironic

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fair enough. 

It's not necessarily either/or as well - perhaps the performance on the national stage was a "tipping point" that catalyzed something already "on notice" from the playbook issues.  "Making the boss look a fool on a big stage" is a major "awshit" in football as well as other endeavors (one of my theories about why Dennison got the ax).

Where Rex was concerned though, that is certainly pot calling kettle to fire Roman for late calls and disorganization.

yep.seemed to be a trend throughout the building

54 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Chan

Hackett Jr.

Roman

Lynn

Rico

Daboll

This will be our 6th OC in the last 7 years. I hope we got a good one this time .

So far....out of that list i liked Lynn (too bad chan had an abismal defence)......im hoping Daboll will be good considering the complete crap he had to work with before......

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Lynn been best OC without his playbook sadly lol.

Agreed.
Nice to see him getting his feet under him out west, after a slow start.

22 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Or in 3 weeks and a few days.  

this seems likely.
and this make it kinda exciting to me.
Win or lose, they have a plan here.

Why is off season the most exciting part of the Bills Football for me !

12 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

Still can't get over how bad of a hire this was...especially with guys like Chudzinski and Bevell available.

I just cannot agree that it was so bad.

Personally i am stoked on this one. 

but heck I liked Nate Hackett. (jk) well I did . maybe a little }

That being said, i was thinking  Chudzinski was on the list.

7 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Agreed.
Nice to see him getting his feet under him out west, after a slow start.

this seems likely.
and this make it kinda exciting to me.
Win or lose, they have a plan here.

Why is off season the most exciting part of the Bills Football for me !

Not for long.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

Roman - great run concepts, but like a total lack of anything resembling a coherent structured offense.  Too many penalties, late play calls, no motion, limiting.

Roman's offense had MUCHO pre-snap motion. Like, more than most. Kinda his thing; outflanking defenses, exploiting mismatches based on motion and alignment. 

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

So are we not going to have a press conference for this guy?

Waiting for him to evaluate his offensive staff and make desired changes?

2 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Is that me downing the beer, or you? 

I have always considered this emote to be passing a beer to the sendee.
But is does appear that I am receiving one.

either way

Cheers Richard Noggin ! 

good posting

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

Doesn’t look like it...not even the guys on WGR are asking about a press conference.

why would they at this point. Honest question .

No rumors have been leaked it seems this year.

• Like (+1) 1

With all of the OC spots opening up this week, getting out in front of it and grabbing the guy they wanted makes a ton of sense and shows some foresight and prudence. 

Not or sure how he will do, but it certainly feels like we got the guy we wanted, and I'm good with that. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

5 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I have always considered this emote to be passing a beer to the sendee.
But is does appear that I am receiving one.

either way

Cheers Richard Noggin ! 

good posting

why would they at this point. Honest question .

No rumors have been leaked it seems this year.

Agreed

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

With all of the OC spots opening up this week, getting out in front of it and grabbing the guy they wanted makes a ton of sense and shows some foresight and prudence. 

Not or sure how he will do, but it certainly feels like we got the guy we wanted, and I'm good with that. 

I have the same. felt like they were waiting on Daboll.
 Thinking this is a guy that was in their sights.

And I do like the hire. lets see how the rest of the Offensive revamp unfolds though. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Roman's offense had MUCHO pre-snap motion. Like, more than most. Kinda his thing; outflanking defenses, exploiting mismatches based on motion and alignment. 

Waiting for him to evaluate his offensive staff and make desired changes?

Sure... if they were lined up with more than 5 seconds on the play clock... and Tyrod wasn't clapping repeatedly to get a snap.

23 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Silly question.  

Is a presser really needed? 

Say what?  

Dunkirk and the Pegulas kids have been leaking for a month or more.  

;);)

well get them a diaper or pair of depends, depending. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Klaista2k said:

Still can't get over how bad of a hire this was...especially with guys like Chudzinski and Bevell available.

Jesus dude, if you're going to keep saying this, at least back it up with something. Chud might still be coming in some fashion, too. 

6 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Chan

Hackett Jr.

Roman

Lynn

Rico

Daboll

This will be our 6th OC in the last 7 years. I hope we got a good one this time .

I suppose the most ironic Billsy thing would for Daboll to be awesome, then take a HC gig somewhere. Leading to OC 7 in 8 years.

5 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Jesus dude, if you're going to keep saying this, at least back it up with something. Chud might still be coming in some fashion, too. 

How should I back it up?

Is the fact that his previous offense's all ranked near the bottom of the league not good enough for you?

9 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

2 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

How should I back it up?

Is the fact that his previous offense's all ranked near the bottom of the league not good enough for you?

Christ dude, are you going to add any substance to the discussion at any point or just revisit every 3 or 4 days and repackage the exact same basic points?

It's been laid out for you multiple times that there was bad personnel on those offenses. You never respond once that happens. Then you go away for a bit, come back and do the same song and dance. Someone else explains it to you. You disappear. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Edited by JM57

3 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

How should I back it up?

You may end up proven right.   He might end up sucking.   Maybe the Bills offense sucks just as much or more next year as it did this year.  

There is evidence to look at where you can choose to be either pessimistic or optimistic - depending on your choice and general outlook on life. 

If you want to choose to look on the bright side and look for optimism then consider this:

His last stint as being an offensive coordinator was 6 years ago in Kansas City.   He was 36 years old.  He was younger than that for all his other OC gigs.

I don't know about you or how old you are, but I think most guys would agree that they got better at their jobs in the 6 years between when they were 36 and 42.   I have no doubt that he has learned some things and gained a lot of wisdom over these last 6 years - especially when seeing what makes teams successful.  He worked for/with top teams in both college and the NFL.     Maybe that translates into him being better at his job than he was last time he was OC (6 years ago).   Maybe it doesn't.

A person might think that Daboll is an up and comer in the league based on the fact that the most successful franchises in both college and the NFL want him on their staff.   If he is doing a bad job in the head coaches' eyes, then they aren't going to want him on their staff year after year.  Those coaches must think very highly of him.

The guy reportedly has a very strong work ethic.   And to have gone to school at UR, the guy has to be highly intelligent.  A lot of people don't realize how hard it is academically to get into UR.    So, if you couple the traits of high intelligence along with strong work ethic, it is likely only a matter of time before he becomes much better at his job.    Nobody knows if that will be in the next 2 years or not.    But it is something you could stay reasonably optimistic about - at least until we see the product that hits the field in the regular season 2018.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

You may end up proven right.   He might end up sucking.   Maybe the Bills offense sucks just as much or more next year as it did this year.  

There is evidence to look at where you can choose to be either pessimistic or optimistic - depending on your choice and general outlook on life. 

If you want to choose to look on the bright side and look for optimism then consider this:

His last stint as being an offensive coordinator was 6 years ago in Kansas City.   He was 36 years old.  He was younger than that for all his other OC gigs.

I don't know about you or how old you are, but I think most guys would agree that they got better at their jobs in the 6 years between when they were 36 and 42.   I have no doubt that he has learned some things and gained a lot of wisdom over these last 6 years - especially when seeing what makes teams successful.  He worked for/with top teams in both college and the NFL.     Maybe that translates into him being better at his job than he was last time he was OC (6 years ago).   Maybe it doesn't.

A person might think that Daboll is an up and comer in the league based on the fact that the most successful franchises in both college and the NFL want him on their staff.   If he is doing a bad job in the head coaches' eyes, then they aren't going to want him on their staff year after year.  Those coaches must think very highly of him.

The guy reportedly has a very strong work ethic.   And to have gone to school at UR, the guy has to be highly intelligent.  A lot of people don't realize how hard it is academically to get into UR.    So, if you couple the traits of high intelligence along with strong work ethic, it is likely only a matter of time before he becomes much better at his job.    Nobody knows if that will be in the next 2 years or not.    But it is something you could stay reasonably optimistic about - at least until we see the product that hits the field in the regular season 2018.

THIS is exactly how I am choosing to look at this hire. I was originally happy, and still am, based on the fact that the two best coaches in ALL OF FOOTBALL wanted him to work for them. Great point about 6 years ago being his last OC gig in the NFL. I KNOW I am better at my job now than I was 6 years ago, and I am not smart OR motivated : ) 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

So when is the press conference? They waiting for Daboll to evaluate the offensive staff and determine who to keep first?

if it hasn't happened by now it probably isn't happening, there probably will eventually be a Chris Brown 1 on 1 interview or something, maybe at the senior bowl

4 hours ago, JM57 said:

Christ dude, are you going to add any substance to the discussion at any point or just revisit every 3 or 4 days and repackage the exact same basic points?

It's been laid out for you multiple times that there was bad personnel on those offenses. You never respond once that happens. Then you go away for a bit, come back and do the same song and dance. Someone else explains it to you. You disappear. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Is this a joke?

You really think it was the players? 

Dude you need to Relax. You are in the wrong here. There is no need to treat other members like this. 

3 minutes ago, Schmuggs said:

Is this a joke?

Dude you need to Relax. You are in the wrong here. There is no need to treat other members like this. 

have you had a chance to speak to leroi lately?

7 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

How should I back it up?

Do you think Todd Haley has been a good offensive coordinator for Pittsburgh?

Did you want Rob Chudzinski as OC here (as many Bills fans seem to)? 

Do you think he's a good OC? 

Because Haley was running Kansas City's offense from 2009-2011 before Daboll took it over in 2012. 

and Chudzinski was the OC in Cleveland before Daboll took over. 

Go look at their numbers with Kansas City/Cleveland... they were worse than Daboll's numbers were. Sometimes it's just the personnel you have.

In 2011 with Haley, on offense Kansas City was 31st in points, 27th in total yards, 15th in rushing yards, 30th in rushing TDs, 28th in rushing yards per attempt.

By most accounts, Haley left a total mess in KC when he was fired, especially on offense. 

In 2012 under Daboll - 

-they improved in total yards from 27th to 24th.

-Improved from 15th to 5th in rushing yards

-From 30th to 25th in rushing TDs

-from 27th to 6th in yards per attempt. 

The passing stats were very similar between Haley & Daboll's offense but IMO that has to be attributed to QB. 

When he took over Miami's offense in 2011 -

-He improved them from 30th in total points scored to 20th. 

-From 27th to 18th in passing TDs

-from 21st to 18th in passing N y/a 

-from 21st to 11th in rushing yards

-29th to 19th in rushing TDs

-30th to 15th in rushing yards per attempt 

He took over as OC in Cleveland in 2009 for Rob Chudzinski. 

Chud didn't do any better than Daboll in Cleveland and most would have been thrilled with him as OC. In fact, Chud almost did worse in Cleveland. At one point in 2008 (with Chud as OC) they went 24 consecutive quarters without scoring a single touchdown! 

Aftr Daboll took over for Chud -

-30th to 29th in points scored

-26th to 8th in rushing yards

-31st to 20th in rushing TDs

-26th to 15th in yards per attempt

-31st to 28th in red zone efficiency 

again, the passing stats were almost identical between Chud's offense and Daboll's, and again I'd attribute that to the QB. 

Anyway... my only point is that you have to look at things in context. You can't just look at his offensive rankings and say "he sucks". You have to look at the entire picture including what type of situation he was left, the offense he took over, their previous rankings and what the improvements were (if any) over the previous year(s) , the personnel he had, etc etc. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Schmuggs said:

Is this a joke?

How is he in the wrong...everything he said was true

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Do you think Todd Haley has been a good offensive coordinator for Pittsburgh?

Did you want Rob Chudzinski as OC here (as many Bills fans seem to)? 

Do you think he's a good OC? 

Because Haley was running Kansas City's offense from 2009-2011 before Daboll took it over in 2012. 

and Chudzinski was the OC in Cleveland before Daboll took over. 

Go look at their numbers with Kansas City/Cleveland... they were worse than Daboll's numbers were. Sometimes it's just the personnel you have.

In 2011 with Haley, on offense Kansas City was 31st in points, 27th in total yards, 15th in rushing yards, 30th in rushing TDs, 28th in rushing yards per attempt.

By most accounts, Haley left a total mess in KC when he was fired, especially on offense. 

In 2012 under Daboll - 

-they improved in total yards from 27th to 24th.

-Improved from 15th to 5th in rushing yards

-From 30th to 25th in rushing TDs

-from 27th to 6th in yards per attempt. 

The passing stats were very similar between Haley & Daboll's offense but IMO that has to be attributed to QB. 

When he took over Miami's offense in 2011 -

-He improved them from 30th in total points scored to 20th. 

-From 27th to 18th in passing TDs

-from 21st to 18th in passing N y/a 

-from 21st to 11th in rushing yards

-29th to 19th in rushing TDs

-30th to 15th in rushing yards per attempt 

He took over as OC in Cleveland in 2009 for Rob Chudzinski. 

Chud didn't do any better than Daboll in Cleveland and most would have been thrilled with him as OC. In fact, Chud almost did worse in Cleveland. At one point in 2008 (with Chud as OC) they went 24 consecutive quarters without scoring a single touchdown! 

Aftr Daboll took over for Chud -

-30th to 29th in points scored

-26th to 8th in rushing yards

-31st to 20th in rushing TDs

-26th to 15th in yards per attempt

-31st to 28th in red zone efficiency 

again, the passing stats were almost identical between Chud's offense and Daboll's, and again I'd attribute that to the QB. 

Anyway... my only point is that you have to look at things in context. You can't just look at his offensive rankings and say "he sucks". You have to look at the entire picture including what type of situation he was left, the offense he took over, their previous rankings and what the improvements were (if any) over the previous year(s) , the personnel he had, etc etc. 

I commend you for giving effort to refute a poster who you know darn well will not match the depth of your post with his retort.....if he gives one

• Like (+1) 1