Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

10 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I know someone else in this thread already made the joke, so credit to that person not me, but who else is excited for the countless "Give him Da-boll!" jokes to be had the next season? I know I am. 

It is actually pronounced like “Table” with a D. Unfortunately, because it’s funny.

12 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I know, I was talking more about on the message board, but it is unfortunate because I wish it could be yelled out at tailgates and the games, too. 

My GDT comments consist of alternating between  “run the !@#$ing ball” and “throw the !@#$ing ball” so I will heretofore refer to him as Brian Da !@#$ing boll

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Do you think Todd Haley has been a good offensive coordinator for Pittsburgh?

Did you want Rob Chudzinski as OC here (as many Bills fans seem to)? 

Do you think he's a good OC? 

Because Haley was running Kansas City's offense from 2009-2011 before Daboll took it over in 2012. 

and Chudzinski was the OC in Cleveland before Daboll took over. 

Go look at their numbers with Kansas City/Cleveland... they were worse than Daboll's numbers were. Sometimes it's just the personnel you have.

In 2011 with Haley, on offense Kansas City was 31st in points, 27th in total yards, 15th in rushing yards, 30th in rushing TDs, 28th in rushing yards per attempt.

By most accounts, Haley left a total mess in KC when he was fired, especially on offense. 

In 2012 under Daboll - 

-they improved in total yards from 27th to 24th.

-Improved from 15th to 5th in rushing yards

-From 30th to 25th in rushing TDs

-from 27th to 6th in yards per attempt. 

The passing stats were very similar between Haley & Daboll's offense but IMO that has to be attributed to QB. 

When he took over Miami's offense in 2011 -

-He improved them from 30th in total points scored to 20th. 

-From 27th to 18th in passing TDs

-from 21st to 18th in passing N y/a 

-from 21st to 11th in rushing yards

-29th to 19th in rushing TDs

-30th to 15th in rushing yards per attempt 

He took over as OC in Cleveland in 2009 for Rob Chudzinski. 

Chud didn't do any better than Daboll in Cleveland and most would have been thrilled with him as OC. In fact, Chud almost did worse in Cleveland. At one point in 2008 (with Chud as OC) they went 24 consecutive quarters without scoring a single touchdown! 

Aftr Daboll took over for Chud -

-30th to 29th in points scored

-26th to 8th in rushing yards

-31st to 20th in rushing TDs

-26th to 15th in yards per attempt

-31st to 28th in red zone efficiency 

again, the passing stats were almost identical between Chud's offense and Daboll's, and again I'd attribute that to the QB. 

Anyway... my only point is that you have to look at things in context. You can't just look at his offensive rankings and say "he sucks". You have to look at the entire picture including what type of situation he was left, the offense he took over, their previous rankings and what the improvements were (if any) over the previous year(s) , the personnel he had, etc etc. 

Great post. Thanks for the info

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/17/2018 at 11:57 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

But you're giving me stat RANKINGS, and for a team that won the National Championship. Give us the real numbers and what they mean to you.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I cant say either way actually, because we have no real data to go by. Stats barely say anything to begin with, Stat rankings dont say anything at all. Too many variables, and lack of context.

Word. If that's the case then I'm not that worried about the ranking change.

On 1/17/2018 at 12:25 PM, BillsFan4 said:

23 hours ago, Lurker said:

Did you look at the stats I posted??   here they are again:

Alabama's red zone scoring percentage:

2016:  89.2%    (58 of 65)        TDs:  40        FGs:    18                 http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/team/8/redzone/offense/split.html

2017:  85.3%    (58 of 68)        TDs:  46        FGs:    12                 http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/team/8/redzone/offense/split.htm

So, six more TDs but a 4% decrease in efficiency is a big worry?     Perhaps you should Google 'obtuse'...  

22 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It's not a "big worry". But in light of some of the red zone issues he had as NFL OC it's worth noting.

20 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

So when is the press conference? They waiting for Daboll to evaluate the offensive staff and determine who to keep first?

I'm dying at the back-pedaling, and then complete topic change once Wayne was forced to look at the entire situation. :lol:

• SDS unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, Schmuggs said:

Is this a joke?

You really think it was the players? 

Dude you need to Relax. You are in the wrong here. There is no need to treat other members like this. 

He's stated it before. His only defense for his position is "oh look, here's some rankings with no context." Context is provided in the form of "Yes, those rankings suck, but so did most of the players in those offenses. Good players had good seasons, take Jamaal Charles or Brandon Marshall for example." No response to that is given. Then we just circle back to "this hire sucks. Here's some ratings."

Is anyone surprised that teams with Brady Quinn, Matt Cassel, Jake Delhomme, Seneca Wallace, etc. struggled offensively?  Shouldn't be. Is anyone over the moon with this hire? Shouldn't be.

Message boards work because when you make a post, you contribute to the discussion. Just saying "this hire sucks" adds nothing. 

JANUARY 2000
Foxborough, Mass.

On his first morning as head coach of the New England Patriots, a FedEx package arrived on Bill Belichick’s desk. Inside was a résumé, plus film breakdowns and scouting reports, rigorously prepared to the specifications of Nick Saban.

“Nick called,” Belichick says. “He said: You've got to hire this guy; he’s one of the best I’ve ever had. Honestly, you get a thousand names like that one when you are a new head coach, believe me. But when Nick recommends somebody like that? You know he doesn’t recommend 50 guys to you.”

Belichick hired a 24-year-old Michigan State graduate assistant named Brian Daboll for a defensive quality control job. Daboll spent the next two years in that role—insiders call it a “20/20” gig, because you work 20 hours a day for less than $20,000 a year—when a higher-paying offensive position job came open.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/18/bill-belichick-nick-saban-friendship-relationship-patriots-alabama-browns?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Scroll down to January 2000.

I didn't see it posted so my apologies for redundancy.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, JM57 said:

Christ dude, are you going to add any substance to the discussion at any point or just revisit every 3 or 4 days and repackage the exact same basic points?

It's been laid out for you multiple times that there was bad personnel on those offenses. You never respond once that happens. Then you go away for a bit, come back and do the same song and dance. Someone else explains it to you. You disappear. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Isn't a good OC supposed to get something out of an offense that has bad personnel? 

7 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

Isn't a good OC supposed to get something out of an offense that has bad personnel? 

Whats that old saying? " can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear"

You need a O line a QB a decent RB and couple of WR's that can catch a decent TE helps as well.

6 hours ago, Bruce_Stools said:

Great post. Thanks for the info

Thanks! 

6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Good find. Thanks for sharing. I found that interesting. 

Edited by BillsFan4

2 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

If you can find me one OC that's taken actually bad personnel and made a good offense out of it, especially without a competent QB, I'd love to hear about him. Seriously, Matt Moore is the best the guy had to work with. Matt Moore! 

He got 1500 yards out of Jamaal Charles, 1200 out of Brandon Marshall WITH MATT MOORE, and while we're talking about making chicken salad out of chicken poop...nearly 1200 yards out of PEYTON HILLIS.

There's enough reason to hope it won't be a total disaster. I'm not Tyrod fan and he's still a better QB than anything Daboll was cursed with before

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Any chance u can sum up what he says? Thanks yolo 

Yup - he said nothing.

haha .... just that they like to see how the players respond and act during meetings at Senior Bowl.  

Talked about making the playoffs as good step and beginnings of establishing a culture of coaches and players that fit the vision but having a long way to go, fans are awesome, etc. Very similar to what he said in end of year presser. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yup - he said nothing.

haha .... just that they like to see how the players respond and act during meetings at Senior Bowl.  

Talked about making the playoffs as good step and beginnings of establishing a culture of coaches and players that fit the vision but having a long way to go, fans are awesome, etc. Very similar to what he said in end of year presser. 

Cool :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yup - he said nothing.

I agree with him; winning is the best thing for establishing a new foundation when it comes to culture. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

I agree with him; winning is the best thing for establishing a new foundation when it comes to culture. 

Definitely.  Especially if you do it while purging the team of all its cancerous/malcontented players.

Just now, Doc said:

Definitely.  Especially if you do it while purging the team of all its cancerous/malcontented players.

Along with pro-bowl players like Micah Hyde stating they didn't want to come here at first but realizes what they are building and McDermott is the real deal. It'll help attracting free agents down the road. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

Along with pro-bowl players like Micah Hyde stating they didn't want to come here at first but realizes what they are building and McDermott is the real deal. It'll help attracting free agents down the road. 

The winning helps,  But the Bills face the same problems they always have: reputation for being cold/snowy weather, high taxes, and small market.  That means having to overpay for talent. 

On 1/18/2018 at 6:13 PM, JMF2006 said:

Whats that old saying? " can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear"

You need a O line a QB a decent RB and couple of WR's that can catch a decent TE helps as well.

So basically the entire offense needs to be good for the offense to be good.  Got it.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

The winning helps,  But the Bills face the same problems they always have: reputation for being cold/snowy weather, high taxes, and small market.  That means having to overpay for talent. 

I feel like this gets overlooked and is likely as much of a discouraging factor as the other 2.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I said the same thIng in a thread of mine last week 

good coaches DONT WAIT TILL HALFTIME to adjust 

they start the first series

I know Belichick is big on trying a few things on the first couple series and picking on the weak spot that was found in the trials.