Bills 2018 cap space projection

Possible Big Money Cuts:

Tyrod Taylor - $9,440,000

Cordy Glenn - $4,850,000

Richie Incognito (35 years old) - $6,425,000

Lorenzo Alexander (35 years old) - $2,550,000

Bills should have around $60 million in cap space.

Team Needs

QB

OT

2 OG'S

2 DT'S

2 LB'S

DE

WR

CB

RB

McDermott and Beane have work to do. Excited to see what happens.

6 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Possible Big Money Cuts:

Cordy Glenn - $4,850,000

Team Needs

QB

OT

2 OG'S

2 DT'S

2 LB'S

DE

WR

CB

RB

I highly doubt that Glenn will be cut and Alexander is cheap as a player not to mention the leadership role he provides both on and off the field.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

If Groy is ready to go, I wouldn’t be too upset if Incognito were cut. 

It’s nothing personal, but that’s a lot to spend on an older RG. 

$60 mil is a lot. I’m excitsed to see what we do with it. 

when signing FA we can offer them a lower base this year and then up the base next year when we have more cap space as the player will be getting a good signing bonus when they sign which can help if we want to go after a high priced FA but still want to sign other guys

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Unfortunately we will need to fill ~20 positions with it, granted only a few are impactful. But last I checked QBs and pass rushing DL aren't too cheap.

They want to get young so they'll probably fill 15 spots with draft picks and UDFA.

6 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

They want to get young so they'll probably fill 15 spots with draft picks and UDFA.

I'm looking at ~$58.8M in space with 35 players on the roster major holes at DT, DE, LB, WR, QB, and OT and lacking depth at RB and in the Secondary. That's also without tweaking the interior OL, which is aging. I don't see 8 draft picks, 7 UDFA, and 3 Mid-High End FA improving our roster. Maybe 3 UDFA, maybe.

29 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I highly doubt that Glenn will be cut and Alexander is cheap as a player not to mention the leadership role he provides both on and off the field.

I agree. He said he'll be playing alot more DE, where he belongs, rushing the passer. He had a MONSTER game vs Jax, was flying out there, definitely keeping him for 2.5 mil, even if it is a situational role,his leadership and ability are still well worth it

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Virgil said:

If Groy is ready to go, I wouldn’t be too upset if Incognito were cut. 

It’s nothing personal, but that’s a lot to spend on an older RG. 

$60 mil is a lot. I’m excitsed to see what we do with it. 

Hold the phone.  A  closer look shows they are not in that great a position in regards to cap space, especially not when compared to the rest of the NFL.  Bills have the second fewest players in the NFL under contract for next year with 40.  Only the Steelers have less than that with 39(and they have negative cap space once they add those players---they are going to have to do some real contract work coming up).  When looking at effective cap sapce(IE, the minimum dollars the Bills must spend to field a 51 man roster based on their current contracts and minimum salary for the other 11 they would need), the Bills have a little over $33 million before making any moves.  

That number ranks 14th in the NFL.  Leading the pack are the 49ers with a staggering $114+ million in cap space and the Browns with $110+ million. 7 more teams have over $50 million available ranging from the Colts at $82 million to the Titans at a little over $51 million.

So are we in good shape as it relates to the team?  Yes.  Are we in good shape as it relates to the rest of the NFL?  No.  We are in average shape.  

The teams in the worst shape?  Eagles, Chiefs and Steeelers all are over the cap for next year.

However, as it stands currently the Bills are 4th for cap money in 2019 and 2nd in 2020...so we are getting ready to enter a great cap place, we just won't be there next year quite yet...

Edited by matter2003

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'm looking at ~$58.8M in space with 35 players on the roster major holes at DT, DE, LB, WR, QB, and OT and lacking depth at RB and in the Secondary. That's also without tweaking the interior OL, which is aging. I don't see 8 draft picks, 7 UDFA, and 3 Mid-High End FA improving our roster. Maybe 3 UDFA, maybe.

interior OL and DL are always better younger IMO, so is RB and LB. I doubt they sign a bunch or FA players. Maybe they get guys without names who fit their system but I doubt they want an old roster. It's the thing they talked about most in that end of year presser.

42 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Possible Big Money Cuts:

Cordy Glenn - $4,850,000

Team Needs

QB

OT

2 OG'S

2 DT'S

2 LB'S

DE

WR

CB

RB

The team currently has an effective cap space of $33 million with only 40 players under contract for next year(2nd least in the NFL--Steelers only have 39).

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

We are getting ready to enter a great cap place in 2019 and especially 2020, currently having the 4th and 2nd most space under the cap those years, but we aren't there quite yet next year...especially when there are 2 teams with over $110 million, one team with over $80 million, one with over $70 million, one with over $60 million and 3 others with more than $50 million...

Edited by matter2003

6 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Hold the phone.  A  closer look shows they are not in that great a position in regards to cap space, especially not when compared to the rest of the NFL.  Bills have the second fewest players in the NFL under contract for next year with 40.  Only the Steelers have less than that with 39(and they have negative cap space once they add those players---they are going to have to do some real contract work coming up).  When looking at effective cap sapce(IE, the minimum dollars the Bills must spend to field a 51 man roster based on their current contracts and minimum salary for the other 11 they would need), the Bills have a little over $33 million before making any moves.  

That number ranks 14th in the NFL.  Leading the pack are the 49ers with a staggering $114+ million in cap space and the Browns with $110+ million. 7 more teams have over $50 million available ranging from the Colts at $82 million to the Titans at a little over $51 million.

So are we in good shape as it relates to the team?  Yes.  Are we in good shape as it relates to the rest of the NFL?  No.  We are in average shape.  

The teams in the worst shape?  Eagles, Chiefs and Steeelers all are over the cap for next year.

However, as it stands currently the Bills are 4th for cap money in 2019 and 2nd in 2020...so we are getting ready to enter a great cap place, we just won't be there next year quite yet...

All part of the process....find that qb....next year is a learning curve year...and get ready to roll in 2019 and beyond

19 minutes ago, zevo said:

All part of the process....find that qb....next year is a learning curve year...and get ready to roll in 2019 and beyond

I actually agree with this. I think the playoff berth put McD and Beane in a comfortable enough position to continue the emphisis on the future. They will get their QB and fill as many holes with greenhorns as possible, and load up and surround him with skill players in year 2. It may take an awful lot of draft capital or cap space depending on if we go the Fa/trade route or the draft...

I think McD & Beane will seek to keep LB Alexander, OT C. Glenn, OG Incognito, and DT K. Williams.  These guys may need to take a pay cut or have their contract restructured, but expect them to be back.

Expect McD & Beane to prioritize as follows:

1A. Retaining their veteran leaders (Alexander, K. Williams, Incognito).

1B.  Acquiring a high quality QB - T. Taylor will be traded before his $6M bonus is due.  The Bills can then seek to acquire a vet QB like A. Smith,

C. Keenum, K. Cousins, T. Bridgewater or Bradford.  Expect them to also draft a young QB for the future.  My money is on QB J. Allen.

2.  Build the O-line - Keeping a healthy Glenn and Incognito will be a big part of it.  Glenn could be moved to RT.  We could be looking at LT Dawkins, LG Incognito, OC Wood, RG ??, RT Glenn    OR    LT Glenn, LG Dawkins, OC Wood, RG Incognito, RT ??.  The Bills have added a nice piece in Dawkins.  Now they just need to add one more piece to complete the O-line.

3.  Build the D-line - At DE they have Hughes, Lawson, Yarbrough, R. Davis, and C. Capi.  If Alexander is moved to DE like he should be then this becomes a much more formidable group.  Expect the Bills to improve their talent at OLB so that Alexander can provide more of an impact as a pass rusher.  At DT they have K. Williams, Washington, Coleman, Thornton, and Hatley.  This is where they need a nice infusion of talent.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

The team currently has an effective cap space of $33 million with only 40 players under contract for next year(2nd least in the NFL--Steelers only have 39).

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

We are getting ready to enter a great cap place in 2019 and especially 2020, currently having the 4th and 2nd most space under the cap those years, but we aren't there quite yet next year...especially when there are 2 teams with over $110 million, one team with over $80 million, one with over $70 million, one with over $60 million and 3 others with more than $50 million...

We are in great shape starting this offseason. We know we have future space opening up, so any new contracts can be structured with bigger hits in the future. Cap won't be an issue this year is my point.

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I'm confident Taylor and Incognito will be cut.

why are you confident Incognito will be cut? Sure hes 35 but he had a pretty damn good year, is a team leader....why the cut? I could personally see a one year extension to lessen cap hit rather than a cut...what info do you have? 

I believe we will be keeping Alexander.  He would be serviceable as a backup option and some pass rushing.  But what stands out most about him is his leadership and that he convey's the importance of buying in and the "process".

Cordy Glenn if healthy I would hope that we keep him.  But my hunch is that he will be gone as well.

Incognito should absolutely stay.   Even though his play dropped off some he was still our best lineman.

TT I believe is a goner.  I appreciate that he was a leader of the offense that finally took us to the playoffs and his style of play kept us in games.   But we need more from that position as we all saw how painfully obvious that was against Jacksonville.  With an average QB we win that game by at least a touchdown.

2 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I want Richie back next year. I don't see anything in his play that shows hes slowing down

He's limited athletically at this point.   People wanting a more active screen game, for instance,  need to understand that if they want the team to keep Incognito.  

The best thing he has going for him is that it's so hard to get young players up to speed on the OL now.

55 minutes ago, ChanOverChin said:

I think McD & Beane will seek to keep LB Alexander, OT C. Glenn, OG Incognito, and DT K. Williams.  These guys may need to take a pay cut or have their contract restructured, but expect them to be back.

1B.  Acquiring a high quality QB - T. Taylor will be traded before his $6M bonus is due.  The Bills can then seek to acquire a vet QB like A. Smith,

C. Keenum, K. Cousins, T. Bridgewater or Bradford.  Expect them to also draft a young QB for the future.  My money is on QB J. Allen.

2.  Build the O-line - Keeping a healthy Glenn and Incognito will be a big part of it.  Glenn could be moved to RT.  We could be looking at LT Dawkins, LG Incognito, OC Wood, RG ??, RT Glenn    OR    LT Glenn, LG Dawkins, OC Wood, RG Incognito, RT ??.  The Bills have added a nice piece in Dawkins.  Now they just need to add one more piece to complete the O-line.

3.  Build the D-line - At DE they have Hughes, Lawson, Yarbrough, R. Davis, and C. Capi.  If Alexander is moved to DE like he should be then this becomes a much more formidable group.  Expect the Bills to improve their talent at OLB so that Alexander can provide more of an impact as a pass rusher.  At DT they have K. Williams, Washington, Coleman, Thornton, and Hatley.  This is where they need a nice infusion of talent.

This is a pretty good take on things. Two questions.  Shouldn't Dawkins go to RT since you usually want a stronger run blocker on the right?  Glenn has been a very good pass blocking LT. Second, what do you think they will do at MLB? Re-sign PB?

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's limited athletically at this point.   People wanting a more active screen game, for instance,  need to understand that if they want the team to keep Incognito.  

The best thing he has going for him is that it's so hard to get young players up to speed on the OL now.

I just cant see letting a player go who just made the Pro Bowl the previous season

54 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

We are in great shape starting this offseason. We know we have future space opening up, so any new contracts can be structured with bigger hits in the future. Cap won't be an issue this year is my point.

Partially true but there are other teams with just as much or more money, so league wide I think there are a lot of teams in "great shape", and since we are effectively competing against other teams for free agents it makes us in average shape in comparison to the rest of the NFL---better than about half the teams but not as good as about half the teams as well.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shotgunner said:

I actually agree with this. I think the playoff berth put McD and Beane in a comfortable enough position to continue the emphisis on the future. They will get their QB and fill as many holes with greenhorns as possible, and load up and surround him with skill players in year 2. It may take an awful lot of draft capital or cap space depending on if we go the Fa/trade route or the draft...

Peppering in FA with great drafting is the key to success....they did a great job with FA this past year and the draft was solid....I’m excited with the position of salary cap room coming in the next 2 years coupled with the draft capital....the big question is can Beane make it all happen 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, zevo said:

Peppering in FA with great drafting is the key to success....they did a great job with FA this past year and the draft was solid....I’m excited with the position of salary cap room coming in the next 2 years coupled with the draft capital....the big question is can Beane make it all happen 

If we could replicate what we did this past year in the off season via the draft and FA then it will chart the course for this team to compete for the division title.   

It's such a critical off season, one of the most consequential that I can remember in quite some time.  We are most likely replacing the QB that led us to the playoffs and we have some ageing vets that have been important to this team that may be soon out the door.  We have more quality draft choices than I can remember in my lifetime to shape this team and plenty of cap space to solidify the organization.    If we strike out with this off season it would certainly set back the organization.  Hit it out the park and we are perennial playoff contenders for the next few years.

1 hour ago, ChanOverChin said:

Wood is not the player most think he is. Leader, no doubt. But as a player, he's not special. McD has his hands cuffed to make a change that needs to be made. 

17 minutes ago, Magox said:

If we could replicate what we did this past year in the off season via the draft and FA then it will chart the course for this team to compete for the division title.   

It's such a critical off season, one of the most consequential that I can remember in quite some time.  We are most likely replacing the QB that led us to the playoffs and we have some ageing vets that have been important to this team that may be soon out the door.  We have more quality draft choices than I can remember in my lifetime to shape this team and plenty of cap space to solidify the organization.    If we strike out with this off season it would certainly set back the organization.  Hit it out the park and we are perennial playoff contenders for the next few years.

Yes. I see this as the shoring up season. Don't lose the progress from this year and more or less build chemistry in 2018. I'd judge 9-7 with more consistency as a good year. This year the 9-7 feels a bit like smoke and mirrors. I like that they made it but this was not a great team. 

2019 is a year where the Bills can use all the cap space to sign 1-2 marquee missing pieces and set up for a several year run at the playoffs. 

I expect them to be similar to last year in free agency. One of DT or DE will be addressed with a decent free agent pickup though (at least my opinion).

I think Glenn will be dealt. He’ll get us a 3rd, maybe an extra 5th as well. Something to that effect.

Lorenzo and Incognito will be kept, unless Incognito has issues stemming from the statements he allegedly made during the Jacksonville game. 

Taylor is the enigma. I think he’ll have more value if the Bills decide to eat the bonus. But I think they’ll know what his value around the league is by that time, and if they can get a 3rd rounder, I could see them eating the $6M and trading him afterwards. There are a lot of quarterbacks available, but Cousins is the only sure thing.

Minnesota will likely keep Keenum. Bradford is an injury risk. Bridgewater hasn’t played in about 2 years. McCarron might be restricted if he loses his case against the Bengals (and it’s speculated he will). Alex smith will likely cost more, but is 6yrs older and will cost more against the cap if he’s dealt.  Bortles might dumped, but who wants that? Drew Brees could be a possibility but I think it’s more than likely he stays in New Orleans. So the free agent QB market might not be as deep as we all think. Taylor might not be better than some of those guys, but he’s tounger than many, and has been healthier than most, doesn’t make mistakes, and has the ability to throw deep, and make plays with his legs as well. 

32 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

I would still like to know why Groy did not get more burn this year at the OG spots

I honestly feel Groy and Miller are starting quality OGs in this league. Hopefully we get a new line coach in here, especially for John Miller's sake. 

6 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would keep Glenn and Dawkins and upgrade RG,C and LG. I would also get two new DT's as well.

I hope they keep Glenn. Maybe restructure his contract to get a lower cap. Our OTs could be set for a while. 

The Salary Cap Link  at the top of the page is link bar is an execllent resource for those on TBD.   The top  8 guys represent  45%

or the cap and I don't think there is a bargain in the  group and quite a few burdens. Tyrod 18 mil, Glenn 14 mil, Hughes 10 mill

McCoy 9 mill , Clay 9 mil, Woods 8 mil, Benjamin 8 mil , Incognito 7.5 mill...   Plus were paying a price for in dead cap money compared to other teams., whether it's from the previous regime or moves made the current staff it still has to be dealt with.  McCoy is worth 9 mill and Incgnito value is also fair.