Should Al Riveron be investigated?

ny33

I don't know the protocol for how the Bills would start something along these lines, but the call from New York today was inexcusable. In addition to the numerous members of the national media, including Peter King, deeming the reversal wrong, PFT's Michael Smith said, "Al Riveron has taken it upon himself to change the standard for what constitutes enough evidence to overturn the call on the field. He routinely changes calls when there simply isn't indisputable, clear, and obvious evidence that the call on the field was wrong." 

• Like (+1) 2

It would almost certainly be against NFL rules for the Bills to pay private investigators to see if he has ties to gambling or anything along those lines. That being said, I hope that teams like the Bills and Steelers put enough pressure on the league for the FBI to take interest in the possible links between officiating and organized gambling in the league. Tim Donaghy and European soccer teams like Juventus are evidence enough that this stuff can happen in the highest echelons of professional sports. 

Edited by ny33
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, ny33 said:

It would almost certainly be against NFL rules for the Bills to pay private investigators to see if he has ties to gambling or anything along those lines. That being said, I hope that teams like the Bills and Steelers put enough pressure on the league for the FBI to take interest in the possible links between officiating and organized gambling in the league. Tim Donaghy and European soccer teams like Juventus are evidence enough that this stuff can happen in the highest echelons of professional sports. 

The league themselves are the problem with the NFL. They will never open an investigation on themselves. The NFL is classified as “entertainment”, they would technically be allowed to fix games, as long as illegal gambling ties remained hidden. I’m not convinced that it is gambling either. I’m more convinced that certain owners are in Goodell’s pocket. Goodell has been a curse who slowly began destroying the league the day he took control. 

More heartbreak for Bills fans. The truth is that you can not beat the refs and the Pats.  Every time we gained momentum, the refs overturned it. (KB TD, Shady 1st down) Every time we began to put a drive together, the refs called something to overcome. (holding) Little by little it deflates a team. Soon the fire is put out and NE begins to pounce. If NE can't do it, somehow they get a magical call (4th down) to keep the drive alive or put themselves in a better position. It's excruciating to see the slow death of the Bills and the cheating that allows the Pats to dominate. It's truly sickening.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

More heartbreak for Bills fans. The truth is that you can not beat the refs and the Pats.  Every time we gained momentum, the refs overturned it. (KB TD, Shady 1st down) Every time we began to put a drive together, the refs called something to overcome. (holding) Little by little it deflates a team. Soon the fire is put out and NE begins to pounce. If NE can't do it, somehow they get a magical call (4th down) to keep the drive alive or put themselves in a better position. It's excruciating to see the slow death of the Bills and the cheating that allows the Pats to dominate. It's truly sickening.

I get this logic. That’s why I’m taking a couple of 15s early and sending a few scubs in late to punish Brady. F it!

Buffalo is a small fan base that will follow the team no matter what.  New England is a big market with finicky fans.  It's all about money.

Plus, I think they get good rating when the pats win.  People tune in just wanting to see them lose.  I think they get all the calls because of money, influence, and these things above.

• Like (+1) 1

The overturned Kelvin Benjamin TD was very bad.

But nobody is talking about the equally bad overturned 4th Down stop.

The first down marker is not the end zone line.  You cannot reach the ball out, then pull it back and get credit for forward progress.

But hey.  I guess the refs aren't supposed to know ALL the rules.  Right? 

• Like (+1) 4

Yes, I'll investigate him myself if need be!

And this on the Twitter:

@MikePereira

regarding the Buffalo no touchdown, nothing more irritating to an official than to make a great call and then someone in a suit in an office in New York incorrectly reverses it. It is more and more obvious that there isn't a standard for staying with the call on the field.

Edited by Heitz

13 minutes ago, run dat back said:

Why would the refs fix this game for the Pats?  There's no money to be made on the favorites.  If anything, wouldn't they be fixing it, and betting on, the underdog?

Sometimes I think it's like the WWE pushing a villain.

The entire country turns in week after week, rooting for the Patriots to lose. 

3 hours ago, ny33 said:

Of course it can happen and it has been happening for years. Let the fans decide the fate of the NFL and its joke goal of parity....

12 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Sometimes I think it's like the WWE pushing a villain.

The entire country turns in week after week, rooting for the Patriots to lose. 

Tom Brady = Ric Flair

In entertainment logic, doesn't matter if fans love or hate him, as long as everyone's watching.

...excerpt from D&C's Maiorana article............

“Yeah, I am at a loss,” Bills coach Sean McDermott said. “I saw it as a touchdown. And other than that, all I can say right now is, I am at a loss for how a play like that can get overturned.”

So was everyone else who isn’t a Patriots fan, including two former heads of NFL officiating, Mike Pereira and Dean Blandino, both of whom now do analysis on separate TV networks. Both tweeted that Kelvin Benjamin’s magnificent 4-yard catch in the back right corner of the end zone should not have been overturned by replay. It was clear to everyone but the guys making the actual call that Benjamin had both feet in bounds, with possession of the ball.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

3 minutes ago, ThunderingHerd said:

What do Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Jesse James, and Kelvin Benjamin all have in common?  Has something to do with Al Riveron and a certain team from the Boston area.

Don't forget Brandin Cooks, although his call somehow went the other way.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Don't forget Brandin Cooks, although his call somehow went the other way.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is this:  How many times in one season does a team have another team's touchdown taken off the board?  Once?  Twice?  Have the Bills had any opponent team's TDs against them reversed this season?  This has happened at least 3 times with the Patriots that I can remember this season.  Seems to be a trend...numbers don't lie.

1 minute ago, ThunderingHerd said:

I guess what I'm trying to say here is this:  How many times in one season does a team have another team's touchdown taken off the board?  Once?  Twice?  Have the Bills had any opponent team's TDs against them reversed this season?  This has happened at least 3 times with the Patriots that I can remember this season.  Seems to be a trend...numbers don't lie.

In all 3 cases the games were closely contested at the time of the call.  Adding Cooks makes four.  Even if another team got 3 calls like this, which I doubt, they were not that controversial nor did they have the same impact.  If they did, we'd know about it.

They were all terrible with the exception of either Cooks or James.  Those two calls needed to go the same way.  Same rule, same circumstances, same judge, opposite result.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

It's real

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

In all 3 cases the games were closely contested at the time of the call.  Adding Cooks makes four.  Even if another team got 3 calls like this, which I doubt, they were not that controversial nor did they have the same impact.  If they did, we'd know about it.

They were all terrible with the exception of either Cooks or James.  Those two calls needed to go the same way.  Same rule, same circumstances, same judge, opposite result.

You are correct.  If they keep preaching "letter of the law", then there should be no dichotomy between the two calls.