Are the Jags a serious threat to win to win the SB this year

njbuff

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I always liked Doug Marrone as a HC. He is a good offensive HC and he seems to be a good talent evaluator.

His kronie Hackett has alot to be desired though....

3 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Some will laugh at this thought, but why not considering how wide open the conference is outside of New England.

In fact I've felt all along that the Jags are the single biggest threat to the Patriots this year because of their defense. And all of a sudden Bortles has been on fire the last month so you have to give St. Doug and Nate Hackett a lot of credit and if they have an offense that can score points in the playoffs look out.

Either way I would be very surprised if Marrone doesn't win coach of the year over McVay for the sole reason of salvaging Bortles career and completely turning around a Jags team that was god awful the previous few years. He's done  yeoman's work at every level and living up to the young Bill Parcells comparisons.

Also yes Marrone does look very smart in hindsight for ditching this organization even if it took him a few years to make it back to the top of the coaching food chain. He obviously had the Pegulas pegged so to speak and realized they had no business being pro sports owners. In five years when the Bills are likely still floundering and Marrone has led the Jags to at least one championship it will be another painful footnote and reminder for Bills fans.

May be the Jags hiring Tom Coughlin has SOMETHING to do with this turnaround?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

With that defense? Yes. They have a legit chance. 

And Marrone got nothing BUT lucky after he thought he was a lock for the Jest job he didn’t get and ended up in Jax. 

I guess that WAS Marrones Defense, not Scwartz lol!

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Fair question 

who did they lose to again and where?

does it matter?

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Sorry but the patriots will be the Super Bowl winner.

wrongo marylou

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I wanted us to take Jimmy G so badly on draft day. 

I wanted Wilson, Cousins, Goff, AJ McCarron and Bortles as well. He played for Eastern Illinois and beat a lot of Romo's records. He lived in Arlington Heights which is 10 min from where I live. I watched him play Lake Park when he was with the Mustangs, I was thinking holy cow this kid is way better than any other QB that I have watched play QB in high school. I wanted the Bills to take Jimmy G so badly, I was pushing for him so hard on draft day.

Take solace in the fact that you did all you could do.

3 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Some will laugh at this thought, but why not considering how wide open the conference is outside of New England.

In fact I've felt all along that the Jags are the single biggest threat to the Patriots this year because of their defense. And all of a sudden Bortles has been on fire the last month so you have to give St. Doug and Nate Hackett a lot of credit and if they have an offense that can score points in the playoffs look out.

Either way I would be very surprised if Marrone doesn't win coach of the year over McVay for the sole reason of salvaging Bortles career and completely turning around a Jags team that was god awful the previous few years. He's done  yeoman's work at every level and living up to the young Bill Parcells comparisons.

Also yes Marrone does look very smart in hindsight for ditching this organization even if it took him a few years to make it back to the top of the coaching food chain. He obviously had the Pegulas pegged so to speak and realized they had no business being pro sports owners. In five years when the Bills are likely still floundering and Marrone has led the Jags to at least one championship it will be another painful footnote and reminder for Bills fans.

Get over yourself.

Pegulas are bad owners now? Like you would have any clue what makes a good owner.

The packers do fine with no owner, the seahawks do fine with a software developer as an owner, the list goes on.   

"In five years when the Bills are still floundering...."   give me a break.   Khan's first five years as Jags owner his team was awful, averaging about 3 wins a year.  But you imply Pegula is no good after winning more in 2 years than Khan did his first 5.

Just go away....

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I think the Steelers or Patriots would smoke them

They match up really well with the Steelers. Two of the best cover guys to chase around AB and company and a brutal rush that Ben is too old to escape from. 

Pittsburgh doesn't have a good pash rush, if you don't fluster Bortles he might beat yah.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, vincec said:

Probably not. They have a below average QB and no big game experience. Those are usually the two keys to winning in the playoffs. But you never know.

WHat has it going for them is the presence of Tom Coughlin. He has done it twice successfully.

10 hours ago, Lfod said:

Serious hypothetical question. If he stayed in Buffalo would he have broken the drought by this year? I myself think he would have. I also think that's the real question to ask.

He convinced Bills management he needed a better QB and got one in Orton so once Kyle quit, they probably would've got him another.  The Clown Show that followed was also able to push for players he wanted, like Tyrod, but he was too defensive-minded.

I like the Coach/GM tandem we have now and would like to see how they do with a couple more off seasons.

15 hours ago, kdiggz said:

not unless Bortles has some kind of Flacco type postseason where he gets on a hot streak.  but they are a QB away from winning it all.  if they somehow got Eli in the postseason then put them down as the AFC favorite

Early in the season, I pretty much thought like you do, but Bortles has been playing pretty well since about mid-season, and has been even better the last three games or so.  I don't know if the proverbial light has turned on or if he's decided he'd rather be an NFL QB than a party boy or if Marrone is some kind of "QB whisperer", but he seems to be more than competent.  I would definitely take him over either Winston or Mariota at this point as both of those guys seem to be trending down rather than improving. 

15 hours ago, njbuff said:

I don't know if they are or they aren't, but thanks to all those top five picks that they have had for years, their time table has certainly been sped up in terms of being a contender.

So, does Marrone look like a genius by kicking the Bills and the fans to the curb or is it just pure good luck?

What do you think?

With that D God yes!!! That Defense reminds me of the 2000 Ravens I think they are that good! Their only issue is a QB who when going into Pitt or NE will probably crap himself and cost them the game.

I wouldn't put Marrone in the genius category but Defense wins championships & if that holds true that team has a HUGE chance at winning it all !!

I will be interested to see next year if they lose a couple of their coaches to other teams like their D coordinator if Marrone can keep them at the top of the heap because if he is anything like a lot of these coaches & puts total faith into a new coordinator & changes things just enough to screw it up (kind of like the Bills have done on their offense) then he will be just another coach that everything fell into place .

But if that were to happen & he had to change a coordinator & he has the where with all to hire some one with a similar scheme to keep continuity then i would say he is a good coach but i wouldn't put him in the brilliant category !! 

Edited by T master

They are built like seattle in those superbowl runs. crazy good defense and a big run game and a qb who just manages games and doesn't lose em. Brady is not going to put up points on them and that run game will wreck the pats. As long as bortles plays within himself they can make a run. Look at the texans last year against the pats. If they had any offense they could have won that game. 

• Like (+1) 1

So this was posted on the NFL subreddit yesterday:

Jacksonville, Philadelphia, LA Rams, and Buffalo are the most likely "current playoff teams" to win the Super Bowl based on a shared regular season stat of all Super Bowl winning teams

Did you know that all Super Bowl winning teams have had 23 or more takeaways on defense by the end of the regular season?

The record was 25 defensive takeaways by the end of the regular season until last season when New England broke it by winning the Super Bowl with only 23 takeaways by the end of the regular season

The other playoff teams takeaways stats are: KC: 21, New Orleans: 20, New England: 18, Pittsburgh: 18, Carolina: 18, Minnesota: 17, Tennessee: 16, and Atlanta: 11.

Will this random trend continue or will a team win the Super Bowl with less than 23 defensive takeaways by the end of the regular season?

54 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

With that D God yes!!! That Defense reminds me of the 2000 Ravens I think they are that good! Their only issue is a QB who when going into Pitt or NE will probably crap himself and cost them the game.

why would NE defense make any QB crap themselves? 

9 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

why would NE defense make any QB crap themselves? 

I think TT is a better QB and he crapped himself on the very first drive in Buffalo against NE.  And believe it or not they have the 6th best scorin D in the NFL so it happens a lot. And well Bortles is not Breese, Big Ben, or Rogers hell he isn't as good as TT IMO.

Just now, PatsFanNH said:

I think TT is a better QB and he crapped himself on the very first drive in Buffalo against NE.  And believe it or not they have the 6th best scorin D in the NFL so it happens a lot. And well Bortles is not Breese, Big Ben, or Rogers hell he isn't as good as TT IMO.

TT isnt a good QB so bad example. 

As a fan I think you give your defense a little too much credit haha. There isnt even one playmaker on that defense that would strike fear into an opposing QB. Middle of the road or worse in almost all defensive categories, especially weak against the pass. If I was an opposing QB I would be excited to play that D in the playoffs (Belecheat or not). 

As far as scoring defense ranking, well duh, they play the putrid AFC East 6 times!!!! haha

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

bortles just had the best 3 game stretch in nfl history.  now can he keep that up? unlikely.  but he is having a tyrod like season with limiting turnovers which is what he has done a lot of...previous low int in a season was 16 and he only has 8 this year. he can also throw the ball more than tyrod. he just can't go into ne and throw picks. 

2 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

TT isnt a good QB so bad example. 

As a fan I think you give your defense a little too much credit haha. There isnt even one playmaker on that defense that would strike fear into an opposing QB. Middle of the road or worse in almost all defensive categories, especially weak against the pass. If I was an opposing QB I would be excited to play that D in the playoffs (Belecheat or not). 

As far as scoring defense ranking, well duh, they play the putrid AFC East 6 times!!!! haha

Ya we only faced the AFC East 4 times so far. And scoring D is the only stat that means anything to me as if they keep teams under 20 the Pats win. 

That said Birtles sucks, he is beyond bad and our secondary is pretty damn good it's our LBers who are weak right now.  They are the typical Pats D bend but don't break. Which is what is needed with the lack of talent up front.

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Ya we only faced the AFC East 4 times so far. And scoring D is the only stat that means anything to me as if they keep teams under 20 the Pats win. 

That said Birtles sucks, he is beyond bad and our secondary is pretty damn good it's our LBers who are weak right now.  They are the typical Pats D bend but don't break. Which is what is needed with the lack of talent up front.

yea scoring D is a great and usually translates to wins...but the conversation is about a QB "crapping their pants" facing a D...lol...patriots arent scary 

2 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

yea scoring D is a great and usually translates to wins...but the conversation is about a QB "crapping their pants" facing a D...lol...patriots arent scary 

I didn't say just any QB I said Blake "I suck" Bortles. He will collapse in a big game on the road, because BB and Tomlin will MAKE him beat them and I just don't think he can do it esp not twice in a row. 

My point INT is I see him throwing an untimely pick which either is returned for a TD or is so close even his D can't stop the O of NE or Pitt. 

Edited by PatsFanNH

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

I didn't say just any QB I said Blake "I suck" Bortles. He will collapse in a big game on the road, because BB and Tomlin will MAKE him beat them and I just don't think he can do it esp not twice in a row. 

the jags defense will not let either of those teams score. do you remember what the jags did at heinz field? destroyed pitt. bortles doesn't have to beat either of them. just has to not lose the game. as long as fournette is playing. 

• Like (+1) 1