Are the Jags a serious threat to win to win the SB this year

njbuff

I don't know if they are or they aren't, but thanks to all those top five picks that they have had for years, their time table has certainly been sped up in terms of being a contender.

So, does Marrone look like a genius by kicking the Bills and the fans to the curb or is it just pure good luck?

What do you think?

Some will laugh at this thought, but why not considering how wide open the conference is outside of New England.

In fact I've felt all along that the Jags are the single biggest threat to the Patriots this year because of their defense. And all of a sudden Bortles has been on fire the last month so you have to give St. Doug and Nate Hackett a lot of credit and if they have an offense that can score points in the playoffs look out.

Either way I would be very surprised if Marrone doesn't win coach of the year over McVay for the sole reason of salvaging Bortles career and completely turning around a Jags team that was god awful the previous few years. He's done  yeoman's work at every level and living up to the young Bill Parcells comparisons.

Also yes Marrone does look very smart in hindsight for ditching this organization even if it took him a few years to make it back to the top of the coaching food chain. He obviously had the Pegulas pegged so to speak and realized they had no business being pro sports owners. In five years when the Bills are likely still floundering and Marrone has led the Jags to at least one championship it will be another painful footnote and reminder for Bills fans.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I don't know if they are or they aren't, but thanks to all those top five picks that they have had for years, their time table has certainly been sped up in terms of being a contender.

So, does Marrone look like a genius by kicking the Bills and the fans to the curb or is it just pure good luck?

What do you think?

I would say this. In the AFC they at least have the potential to upset PIT or NE. I don't know if they have to go two consecutive weeks with those two if they come out ahead just given the war of attrition.

BUT if I was New England I would fear them more then Pittsburgh because of that defense and how good they run the ball which NE fails to do well against. And PIT already knows what Jax can do.

17 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Some will laugh at this thought, but why not considering how wide open the conference is outside of New England.

In fact I've felt all along that the Jags are the single biggest threat to the Patriots this year because of their defense. And all of a sudden Bortles has been on fire the last month so you have to give St. Doug and Nate Hackett a lot of credit and if they have an offense that can score points in the playoffs look out.

Either way I would be very surprised if Marrone doesn't win coach of the year over McVay for the sole reason of salvaging Bortles career and completely turning around a Jags team that was god awful the previous few years. He's done  yeoman's work at every level and living up to the young Bill Parcells comparisons.

Also yes Marrone does look very smart in hindsight for ditching this organization even if it took him a few years to make it back to the top of the coaching food chain. He obviously had the Pegulas pegged so to speak and realized they had no business being pro sports owners. In five years when the Bills are likely still floundering and Marrone has led the Jags to at least one championship it will be another painful footnote and reminder for Bills fans.

I wouldn't go to this extent. It was a straight up power battle between Whaley who had Brandon on his side and Marrone who would've got Polian in if he won. Don't forget for a sizeable amount of time after the last game it was expected that Polian was coming in as the football Czar and Whaley was toast. Not sure if it matters that much now we pissed 2 years away with Rex but McD isn't doing too shabby so I will give him time.

....Marrone would probably still be here if Brandon and Whaley didn't turn on him......Whaley is gone and Brandon got kicked upstairs with ZERO operations input...pretty sure TP knows who were the culprits..Pegula never would have offered him an extension directly if he didn't want him...would we be in a better position?....who knows, but the Wrecks Era is erased from hisotry as are the repairs.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Top 5 picks for the last 10 years better lead to a talented roster. Add an owner who wants to win and will spend to do it and you have a winning trifecta. Soft division and a favorable schedule. Losses to Tenn, Ari, Raiders and Jets. If the Bills get in I honestly can see them beating them. Bortles has played well as of late because the D takes the heat off. Also he's basking in the glow of having a child as he and his wife had a child this past weekend ( I work in the Jacksonville hospital where they registered). I see good things in their future, but not this year as far as SB is concerned and Bortles is not the answer. 

He walked out of a HC job. He is in another HC job. I read people thought he would never be a head coach again. Mocked him for not getting a head coaching job. Then they doubted he would not work well with Coughlin when he did and said he would fail. I always viewed him as a lesser Bill Belicheck. A serious dude just not proven. 

I wonder how many regrets people feel about not taking a serious dude seriously.

Edited by Lfod

5 minutes ago, Lfod said:

He walked out of a HC job. He is in another HC job. I read people thought he would never be a head coach again. Mocked him for not getting a head coaching job. Then they doubted he would work well with Coughlin when he did and said he would fail. I always viewed him as a lesser Bill Belicheck. 

...he actually walked away from the 4 year, $19.6 mil extension Pegula offered him.....but with Brandon and Whaley turning on him because they hated his General Patton like style, it was pretty evident they could make his life hell.....so he took the 4 mil and moved on....Whaley is gone and Brandon is upstairs...Pegula removed the "flies in the ointment".....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...he actually walked away from the 4 year, $19.6 mil extension Pegula offered him.....but with Brandon and Whaley turning on him because they hated his General Patton like style, it was pretty evident they could make his life hell.....so he took the 4 mil and moved on....Whaley is gone and Brandon is upstairs...Pegula removed the "flies in the ointment".....

Serious hypothetical question. If he stayed in Buffalo would he have broken the drought by this year? I myself think he would have. I also think that's the real question to ask.

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

Had he stayed with the Bills we would have been there The following year he left.  So he wasted time and cost our franchise to boot.   You don't just drop a billion dollars and have some coach try and punk you into a bigger contract.

That's one nasty defense they have led by 2 good young Pro Bowl corners. They have a really tough young runner in Fournette. Good receivers. They have every chance to go on the road if need be and win games in the playoffs.

They only detracting thing from them is Bortles and inexperience in big games.

8 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Serious hypothetical question. If he stayed in Buffalo would he have broken the drought by this year? I myself think he would have. I also think that's the real question to ask.

Honestly it's would all depend on 2 things for my money. 1. What was he doing at QB after Orton left? 2. Does the McCoy trade still happen?

Oh and 3. Is Schwartz still here?

If he got his hands on a good QB, still made the McCoy trade and Schwartz is still running a solid defense, then yes they likely would have been in.

18 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

they beat Pittsburgh, yes. But that's about it. Cake schedule so far, easiest in the NFL y far.

Having said that, they look very good, I am actually interested how they look at the 49ers this week.. I got a feeling that's a loss for them

49ers dline is nasty

Armstead, Buckner, thomas, and harold are extremely talented.

Tht team is a 180 with garapolo

4 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Serious hypothetical question. If he stayed in Buffalo would he have broken the drought by this year? I myself think he would have.

...hindsight is a beautiful thing, but I agree with you despite several pros and cons......2015 would be his 3rd year in the rebuild, usually a critical one and one with Schwartz still as DC....Hackett at OC would have had to be seriously addressed though....so there is some continuity there, but the Wrecks debacle was a MAJOR club set back.....could or would Whaley have been the guy to continue to find Marrone personnel?....no idea.....I would also think by year 3, this club would have an identity.....another aspect destroyed by Wrecks and the Jets West Clown Show......keep in mind Pegula did offer him a 4 year extension at $19.6 mil which would have meant Doug was signed through 2021 if his original deal was 4 years......so he's at least booked for the long haul and of course with no guarantee he doesn't get canned somewhere....so he goes to Jax as OL Coach and waits with Bradley on the hot seat......Bradley is a pretty good defensive guy so part of their D success today may be from his tenure....at the end of the day and as we agree, the drought probably would have ended based on the direction.....

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...hindsight is a beautiful thing, but I agree with you despite several pros and cons......2015 would be his 3rd year in the rebuild, usually a critical one and one with Schwartz still as DC....Hackett at OC would have had to be seriously addressed though....so there is some continuity there, but the Wrecks debacle was a MAJOR club set back.....could or would Whaley have been the guy to continue to find Marrone personnel?....no idea.....I would also think by year 3, this club would have an identity.....another aspect destroyed by Wrecks and the Jets West Clown Show......keep in mind Pegula did offer him a 4 year extension at $19.6 mil which would have meant Doug was signed through 2021 if his original deal was 4 years......so he's at least booked for the long haul and of course with no guarantee he doesn't get canned somewhere....so he goes to Jax as OL Coach and waits with Bradley on the hot seat......Bradley is a pretty good defensive guy so part of their D success today may be from his tenure....at the end of the day and as we agree, the drought probably would have ended based on the direction.....

Well like you and some one else mentioned it's based on a lot of factors. Power might not of been one of those if that's the reason he walked because the money was already available. Have to respect he chose his way over sitting put in a situation he felt he couldn't trust. 

I don't think it would be 100% guarantee at all. I just always wondered myself what could of been the day he left. Now that he's actually doing decently I can't help but question it sometimes. 

Now I just hope our shiny new coach is gonna do what it takes. I have some faith in him as well.

Edited by Lfod

4 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Well like you and some one else mentioned it's based on a lot of factors. Power might not of been one of those if that's the reason he walked because the money was already available. Have to respect he chose his way over sitting put in a situation he felt he couldn't trust. 

I don't think it would be 100% guarantee at all. I just always wondered myself what could of been the day he left. Now that he's actually doing decently I can't help but question it sometimes. 

Now I just hope our shiny new coach is gonna do what it takes. I have some faith in him as well.

...and that is where you NAILED it with trust......in his interview with Brandon, he preached "culture change" and continued to do so with regular follow-up calls as to the status of his hiring....hence, with that being an obvious MAJOR need, he was hired.....but his militaristic Patton like style included Brandon and Whaley being required to attend every staff meeting...the staff would have dinner after a SJF practice day and go right back to SJF for more meetings until 9 or 10 at night...Brandon and Whaley grew to hate it and turned on him...there goes any element of trust from the Big Dawgs despite Pegula extension offer....can't run to the owner daily.....restaurant hosting a staff dinner after SJF practice day was 20 minutes late in seating the group...Marrone tweaked and made everybody rush through dinner to make up for the 20 minutes so they could get back to SJF for more meetings..

c

14 minutes ago, Tcali said:

garapalo is the real deal. 

I wanted us to take Jimmy G so badly on draft day. 

I wanted Wilson, Cousins, Goff, AJ McCarron and Bortles as well. He played for Eastern Illinois and beat a lot of Romo's records. He lived in Arlington Heights which is 10 min from where I live. I watched him play Lake Park when he was with the Mustangs, I was thinking holy cow this kid is way better than any other QB that I have watched play QB in high school. I wanted the Bills to take Jimmy G so badly, I was pushing for him so hard on draft day.

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

What do you think?

A lot of revisionist history going on in this thread.  Give Doug Marrone credit.  He has Jacksonville playing at a much higher level than Mike Mularkey or Gus Bradley ever.   David Caldwell always drafted good players, but the coaching was never able to make any progress. 

Also, keep in mind - this wasn't part of some master plan.  Doug opted out of the Bills in part because he didn't like the political going on with everyone's favorite GM Doug Whaley and because he thought he'd be given the Jets job.  Maybe he said the writing on the wall because Rex didn't have the best relationship with Whaley either.  But Doug grew up in Long Island and used to coach on the Jets staff - that basically was his dream job.  So yeah, maybe he did end up in a better position but it more good luck than design.  So you can't say he "kicked the Bills to the curb."  He thought that he had the Jets job lined up and it didn't work out.

Players always hated playing for Marrone dating back to his days at Syracuse when 20-25 players quit the team once he took over.  He's not a players coach by any means.  Many predicted he'd fail big with Jacksonville, so again - you have to give him credit.

Interesting question about when the Bills make the playoffs under Marrone in 2014.  It's hard to say because we have no idea which direction they'd go at QB.  Tyrod was largely attributed to Rex Ryan, so I doubt they'd go down that route.  But honestly, the Schwartz defense would still be in tact, so I think they would at least be competitive for a playoff spot.

I always like Doug Marrone! he has been the only coach during the drought that actually held his players responsible and wasn't too worried about being there friend...he just wanted to win football games with the crappy roster, in which he  did. He knew right away that EJ Manual was not a good QB or capable of learning to be one so he reached out to Orton which was a very smart move at the time. I hoped that the new owner was going to retain Marrone, but I guess the front office was too far gone and stubborn to make any changes at that time. I'm a bills fan ..but go Doug Marrone!!!! Show what Buffalo missed on!!!!

2 minutes ago, MC Hamburg said:

I always like Doug Marrone! he has been the only coach during the drought that actually held his players responsible and wasn't too worried about being there friend...he just wanted to win football games with the crappy roster, in which he  did. He knew right away that EJ Manual was not a good QB or capable of learning to be one so he reached out to Orton which was a very smart move at the time. I hoped that the new owner was going to retain Marrone, but I guess the front office was too far gone and stubborn to make any changes at that time. I'm a bills fan ..but go Doug Marrone!!!! Show what Buffalo missed on!!!!

I'll say that I didn't like Doug.  I thought he was extremely conservative.  In 2014 at least, he put his team in positions with conservative play calling and punting.  Also I'll always remember how he couldn't get the team to beat a 2-12 Oakland Raiders team, which put the nail in the team's slim playoff chances.

Also Buffalo didn't miss out on anything.  He was the one that quit - Terry Pegula wanted to keep him

Whaley and Marrone were never going to be together in the new administration.  They never got over the EJ Manuel fiasco......Marrone saw that EJ didn't have the right stuff and Whaley had to select Sammy Watkins for 2#1 picks to try to save the day.  Orton had his shortcomings, but he was better than Manuel...and Marrone new it.  Anyhow, getting out was ok for Marrone....and he may well have sensed the PEGS were really rookie owners.

The bills have the distinction of having two under contract head coaches quit....Marrone and Mike Mularkey....both HC's in the league today.   Buffalo is truely operating a farm team for the rest of the league...players and coaches.

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

What do you think?

Not serious contender to win Superbowl.

Arguably, Marrone's "plan" insofar as he ever had one has worked out well.

I.E., you can argue he is in better shape now than he would have been in Buffalo.

I hear the weather is nicer in Jacksonville too.

Edited by Fadingpain