Bills love Sam Darnold?

HappyDays

I just want the Bills to identify their guy and then pay whatever price they need to get him.

I dont care about future first round picks. Teams do just fine without them when they make these moves...Seattle went 3 or 4 straight drafts with no first round pick in the middle of their super bowl runs and it had no real effect on them.

Edited by matter2003

I'm not gonna pretend to know college quarterbacks, but according to all the hype being thrown around about this kid, it would probably be the first legit QB pick this team has made in ages.

Now I know we need help just about everywhere else, and as some have teased about drafting a RB, how insane would it be if we got both Darnold and Barkley? I know, pipe dream, but hey, if you're gonna dream, dream big

I like the idea of staying put and taking QB, Mike White, from Western Kentucky with one of our top 4 picks, rather than trading away most of our picks for Darnold.  I don't think he's the can't miss prospect the media would have you believe.  He turns the ball over way too much and doesn't wow me with his accuracy or arm strength enough to feel confident in giving away a boatload to get him.

4 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Don't get me excited.

When I think of Sam Donald one QB springs into my head and that QB is Matt Ryan. Donald is the guy I like the most and this is coming from someone who wanted Carr, Cousins and Wilson.

Donald's good, but I think it's a little early to start comparing him to Matt Bryan.

Interesting.  There are a lot of hurdles though.  Darnold is said to be mulling the idea of returning to school for his senior season.  If he doesn't there is the question of where his value lies.  There's no doubt he's a first round pick, but I think there is some question how high he could be picked and still be a good value.  Some prognosticators think he will be the first play taken in the draft, but others have several other QBs rated higher.  The question for Buffalo is how much are they willing to over pay for the right to draft him.  They can either over pay or gamble that he drops.  Then, it's also possible that Beane is pulling a few pages from the books of other GMs and blowing Sam Darnold smoke when the player he really covets is someone else entirely.

I like Darnold and he might be able to start his first year, but there are some things he's got to work on.  He does have a really good pedigree as many in his family have been quality athletes in a number of sports.

I hope the Browns trade out and Darnold gets taken first and we get Rosen, that's my dream. I would be ok with Darnold though but with not moving up as much

I am thinking a big target is on

Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State

Edited by xRUSHx

I'm a Josh Rosen fan.  He reminds me a lot of Eli Manning with a little more athleticism.  My biggest worry is his Johnny Football frat boy like reputation, but from what I've heard he's shown a great amount of maturity.  He may stay another year though.

5 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Sam Darnold sucks.

Appreciate the in depth analysis.  You saved me a bunch of time this Spring reading a bunch of draft magazines to get a feel for the players with your well thought out post. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

I can't put my finger on why, but Darnold just looks like he's going to be a major flop at the NFL level. 

Well, there’s his awful throwing motion, the long history of NFL failure by USC quarterbacks (despite the pro system they operate), the fact that he doesnt take care of the football...

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 2

Darnold will want to stay in school, develop, and go for a national title and heisman.  he loves school, is the big man on campus, and has a lot left to play for.  there's no way he comes out, especially with the Browns picking 1st and the threat of them taking him.  top QB coming out will be Rosen.  i could see the Giants trading up to grab him

5 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Darnold will want to stay in school, develop, and go for a national title and heisman.  he loves school, is the big man on campus, and has a lot left to play for.  there's no way he comes out, especially with the Browns picking 1st and the threat of them taking him.  top QB coming out will be Rosen.  i could see the Giants trading up to grab him

Rosen in Cleveland will be a disaster IMO.  Rosen is outspoken and Cleveland is a mess....I can see him publicly criticizing issues with the Browns if he's there.

11 hours ago, the skycap said:

I'm on the Lamar Jackson train too. His upcoming bowl game against Miss. St. will put a nail in the coffin if he has a good game. They have one of the top rated pass defenses in CFB.

They rank highly in passing yards per game allowed, but they're 80th in yards per attempt allowed.

11 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I just want the Bills to identify their guy and then pay whatever price they need to get him.

I dont care about future first round picks. Teams do just fine without them when they make these moves...Seattle went 3 or 4 straight drafts with no first round pick in the middle of their super bowl runs and it had no real effect on them.

The Seahawks already had a talented team when they went without first round picks in 3 drafts, dude!  :doh:  They weren't trying to build up talent on a team that's full of JAGs, career STers, and PS refugees.  Oh, and they haven't been quite so "fine" either.  Russell Wilson, another QB the Bills could have taken but chose a WR bust instead,  is like 80-90% of their offense and the only reason they don't have a losing record this season.

13 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah that is a concern. I also don’t like that he dropped off from year 1 to year 2. Same thing happened to Christian Hackenburg and well...  Compare with Russell Wilson who got better and better every year of college. That’s why I have my sights set on Lamar Jackson. Continual improvement every season.

It’s worth pointing out these scout comments came from August when Sam Darnold was considered a consensus #1 overall pick with some sources calling him the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck. This past season may have lowered his value to the Bills.

Mayfield has shown that improvment as well. I think the Bills actually end up targetting Luke Falk. Just seems like a kid who Sean McDermott would love to have 

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

I agree Rosen is top dog in this draft. As for Darnold he already lost some of his stock for this draft and is now #2 IMO if he stays and flops after another year in school his stock could push him down even more, maybe even out of the 1st round for 2019 draft. I think it would be silly for him to not enter the NFL in this draft. 

I think Darnold is a good fit for the Giants and Rosen a great fit for the Buffalo Bills

Edited by xRUSHx

45 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Mayfield has shown that improvment as well. I think the Bills actually end up targetting Luke Falk. Just seems like a kid who Sean McDermott would love to have 

They will not need to move up if they target Falk, I would rather the Bills move up and get one of the top dogs in this draft.

13 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

The Colts will not trade that pick if it's #2 in conference.  The 49ers will.  

In other words, we need the 49ers to not win another game or we ain't getting Rosen or Darnold. 

Which is ok we're going to get our QB.  I hope.  

Bears are also an option if they lose out.  Browns, Giants still likely to be one, two, which means the odds of getting Rosen or Darnold are not high.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Bears are also an option if they lose out.  Browns, Giants still likely to be one, two, which means the odds of getting Rosen or Darnold are not high.

Chicago? To draft a QB? Didn't they just draft Trubinsky? I think Chicago will be looking to add to the team around the Trub not add another QB into the mix.IMO no way do they draft a QB in the 1st. 

1 minute ago, xRUSHx said:

Chicago? To draft a QB? Didn't they just draft Trubinsky? I think Chicago will be looking to add to the team around the Trub not add another QB into the mix.IMO no way do they draft a QB in the 1st. 

Fella was talking about SF as a trade partner to move up.  I mentioned Chicago as a trade partner because of Trubisky.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Fella was talking about SF as a trade partner to move up.  I mentioned Chicago as a trade partner because of Trubisky.

Oh sorry man, I though you were saying it was another move up by Chicago for a QB. Oops, my bad

I agree Chicago could be a player to move down.

Edited by xRUSHx

2 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Oh sorry man, I though you were saying it was another move up by Chicago for a QB. Oops, my bad

I agree Chicago could be a player to move down.

I might not have been clear.  Sorry to have been confusing.  Certainly, one would need either SF or Chicago to lose out.  Otherwise, Browns and Giants are locked into the first two picks.  Yolo is convinced the Browns will trade the pick, but I can't believe even they are that stupid.

Could you imagine being Darnold and Rosen now?  One of you will get to play in NYC with Odell Beckham Jr.  The other goes to the suck factory that is the Cleveland Browns.  What a gamble if you are trying to decide whether or not to come out.  If I was them I would pull an Archie Manning and say that there's no way you sign with Cleveland if they take you so don't even think about drafting me

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

The Seahawks already had a talented team when they went without first round picks in 3 drafts, dude!  :doh:  They weren't trying to build up talent on a team that's full of JAGs, career STers, and PS refugees.  Oh, and they haven't been quite so "fine" either.  Russell Wilson, another QB the Bills could have taken but chose a WR bust instead,  is like 80-90% of their offense and the only reason they don't have a losing record this season.

Just shows how important the QB position is relative to the rest of the team

17 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

They will not need to move up if they target Falk, I would rather the Bills move up and get one of the top dogs in this draft.

That's the thing. The top dogs in the draft like Allen and Darnold has had very underwhelming seasons. It was the borderline 2nd to 3rd guys like Falk, Rudolph and Mayfield who had similar or better years then the so called franchise QBs. The one QB that is the exception is Rosen but I don't see anyway he doesn't go #1. I'd rather use a first on Mayfield or a 2nd on Falk then use 2 1sts on Darnold/Allen. 

Lamar Jackson is considered a top 10 pick and has had a great year but he takes a lot of risks that he will not be allowed to have at the NFL level. We need a more prototypical QB and Jackson is not that.