Random Thoughts Thread

RaoulDuke79

On 3/26/2018 at 8:19 AM, DC Tom said:

Edit: don't know if anyone's done home euthanasia before...but I don't recommend it.  It's rough; you can't really get away from the fact that you just killed a pet.

I haven't done home euthenasia, but I've put two cats down in my life. The second time was no easier than the first. 

My problem, and maybe it's just my problem, is that you can almost see the life leave their body. I'm sure it's just the muscles simply giving way, but it's terribly sad to watch and I have no problem admitting it wrecked me both times.

Oh, and I'm sorry for the loss. Really. My cats were smarter than half the people posting on PPP.

• Agree 1

A friend suggested I fly to NC as the flight it is only $60 round trip. Told her I don't fly. She told me my chances of dying in a car crash are astronomically higher than dying in a plane crash. I told her duh...just finished telling you I don't fly, if course my chances of dying in a car crash are higher. Unless the plane crashes into me my chances of dying in a plane crash are virtually zero. Some people.

Why do people insist on putting raisins in an oatmeal cookie?  It just ruins a perfectly good oatmeal cookie.  Use chocolate chips instead, or even nothing; either way, it would be much better than raisins.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Why do people insist on putting raisins in an oatmeal cookie?  It just ruins a perfectly good oatmeal cookie.  Use chocolate chips instead, or even nothing; either way, it would be much better than raisins.  

Because choc chip wasn't put into a cookie until Toll House did it in 1938.

Duh!:D

23 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Because choc chip wasn't put into a cookie until Toll House did it in 1938.

Duh!:D

You're right:

"The chocolate chip cookie was invented by the American chef Ruth Graves Wakefield and chef Sue Brides in 1938. She invented the recipe during the period when she owned the Toll House Inn, in Whitman, Massachusetts. In this era, the Toll House Inn was a popular restaurant that featured home cooking."

But oatmeal cookies have been screwed up for quite a while:

"Raisins and nuts were added to the mix somewhere around the Middle Ages to make the cakes tastier. The first recorded oatmeal raisin cookie recipe was written by Fannie Merritt Farmer in 1896, according to Cookies.com."

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

You're right:

"The chocolate chip cookie was invented by the American chef Ruth Graves Wakefield and chef Sue Brides in 1938. She invented the recipe during the period when she owned the Toll House Inn, in Whitman, Massachusetts. In this era, the Toll House Inn was a popular restaurant that featured home cooking."

But oatmeal cookies have been screwed up for quite a while:

"Raisins and nuts were added to the mix somewhere around the Middle Ages to make the cakes tastier. The first recorded oatmeal raisin cookie recipe was written by Fannie Merritt Farmer in 1896, according to Cookies.com."

Semi-sweet wasn't even supposed to be used, Whitman ran out of bakers chocolate:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/56739/brief-history-chocolate-chip

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Always enjoy watching the Scripps spelling bee. Any theory as to why the Indian folks have this thing on lockdown?

have you seen some of their names?  It takes like a dozen letters to spell their equivalent of Bob or Joe

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/3/2018 at 10:40 PM, Happy Gilmore said:

My Mother in law puts raisins and diced apples in her turkey stuffing.  WTF is wrong with that ****??  I can’t even smell the stuff w/o dry gagging.  

33 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Always enjoy watching the Scripps spelling bee. Any theory as to why the Indian folks have this thing on lockdown?

Culturally enforced work ethic.

The bee is an exercise in memorization and that takes patience, time, and hard work.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My Mother in law puts raisins and diced apples in her turkey stuffing.  WTF is wrong with that ****??  I can’t even smell the stuff w/o dry gagging.  

I'm against raisins in anything: stuffing, cookies, bread, cake, pudding...you name it.  No raisins.  Let the raisin fans buy the SunMaid boxes of raisins, if those are still available.

My random thought has to do with washed up politicians who just can't see the writing on the wall and insist that what they have to say is relevant.  This just in:  You're all done, you're yesterday's news, go home and bake those cookies you made fun of Oh so many years ago.

16 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I have to laugh at people who ask questions easily answered by typing the question into google.  

how frieking lazy are they?

or for us with a low empathy # 

how frieking clueless are they?

A pet peeve of mine.  I coach varsity lacrosse, and I have this one parent who calls me before every game.  Actually calls me on the phone.  To ask me if I can post (on Facebook) the address of the school we are playing at.  She is sooooo annoying.  I want so badly to do one of those “let me google that for you” things, but that would be pretty rude I guess.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

A pet peeve of mine.  I coach varsity lacrosse, and I have this one parent who calls me before every game.  Actually calls me on the phone.  To ask me if I can post (on Facebook) the address of the school we are playing at.  She is sooooo annoying.  I want so badly to do one of those “let me google that for you” things, but that would be pretty rude I guess.

Post the adress of every school in a 100 mile radius on Facebook.

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Rude only if you scored more than 45.   

?

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

On 6/10/2018 at 11:04 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Two questions. One for you, and one for her.

First for her, why can't she just have you text it to her, since you obviously already have her number?

For you. Since you know she's gonna ask anyway, why don't you just be proactive and post the damn address?

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Thermostat setting? Its hot as hell here right now and my sweet bride is cold with the thermostat set at 76 (used to be 78, but i knocked it back 2 degrees). What's the normal temperature of TBD thermostats?

74 during the day and 73 at night... tropical season here. Electric bills will suck until October.

15 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Thermostat setting? Its hot as hell here right now and my sweet bride is cold with the thermostat set at 76 (used to be 78, but i knocked it back 2 degrees). What's the normal temperature of TBD thermostats?

We retired to the Palm Springs desert area this past January.  We visited here a ton in the past 35 or so years and absolutely love the heat.  But living in it could be much different than visiting it.  Well a week or so ago while the temp was in the triple digits outside I looked at our thermostat and it was 90 inside and we didn't have the AC on.  Yup, we're perfect for the desert.   But we have recently set it around 83-85 just to the cat doesn't die.  

On 5/21/2022 at 7:26 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

72°-75° in Summer.

65°-68° in Winter.

I have it programmed to use a 3° SetPoint w/the new WiFi thermostat the last 6 years.  With this thermostat, that means in sumnmer A/C will kick on 3 WARMER than desired room temp and kick off @ desired room temp.  In winter, the furnace will kick on 3° COLDER.  So, it's kicking on @ 62°-65° winter and 75°-77° summer...

[IT'S actually better mechanically/efficiency for an HVAC unit (especially A/C) to run on/off longer periods of time, rather than short cycling all the time... But modern thermostats will have time delay or a program feature to eliminate a short cycle and allow the compressor/refrigerant to "recover."]

On 5/21/2022 at 10:33 PM, T&C said:

74 during the day and 73 at night... tropical season here. Electric bills will suck until October.

68-70 in the winter

72-74 in the summer

On 5/24/2022 at 7:54 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

There is the new girl that joined my gym and wow.  Yoga pants and I can't stop thinking about her.  

It’s probably a dude. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. 

Wonder how many kids they will have before his mega contract is up.  

Patrick Mahomes and his wife Brittany are getting ready to welcome a second baby.They took to Twitter to make the announcement Sunday, posting a family photo with the caption "Round 2!"   In the photo, their 15-month-old daughter Sterling is holding a sign that reads "big sister duties coming soon."

The couple tied the knot in Hawaii this past March, after welcoming their first daughter in February of 2021.

🤔 was baby 2 in the oven before the March wedding? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.