Random Thoughts Thread

RaoulDuke79

On October 6, 2017 at 9:11 PM, DC Tom said:

Weird guy...but great general. Best American general ever (and if anyone says "Patton," I'll cut you.)

Spent the day walking some of his Shenandoah battlefields.

Up to a couple grand.

Yep I'll bite - huge Patton fan here. 

Not the "hollywooded" Patton that people conveniently lean on. 

Nah it's not because of movies or lore; rather it's because I've read extensively about the unforgiving African desert and the German two-spring mines, the marking of dak tropicals, and the perceived invicibility of Rommel and the German Wehrmacht. Patton reimagined armored warfare as much as anyone and, above all, he was an uncompromising, unsissified, defiant, son-of-a-bit%!,who would make most of us arm chair historians pee ourselves with testimonials around what it was like to stare down the strength of the reich near its peak. He struck fear in German command and may have  led German braintrust into a strategic blunder leading up to dday. 

Reasonable minds may differ, but for a lot of reasons, gully reasons, I like Patton a lot. 

Then I'd take Winfield Scott before I'd even consider Jackson. 

Edited by Juror#8

5 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I believe you are a baseball fan, so I wonder if you have ever played Beat the Streak at MLB.  It has really re-invigorated my interest in baseball.  

Yes I am!

Regretfully I haven't.

My apologies...is this online or a TV program?

10 minutes ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Yes I am!

Regretfully I haven't.

My apologies...is this online or a TV program?

It is online.   You pick 0,1 or 2 batters every day.  If they get a hit your streak continues, if not it ends, but you just start over. You don't have to play every day, you can pick any hitters on any day.   Really gets you looking at hitters on teams other than your favorite and also the hitter/pitcher match up.  The site gives you some quick stats on the match ups so it helps a little.  The game doesn't start until opening day but you can read about it on their site now.

On a different subject, somewhere around Father's day MLB gives you the online viewing package at half-price.  I like to sign up for it then.  I primarily watch the Dodgers but since I have been playing BTS, I watch other teams also.  Haven't enjoyed baseball this much since High School.

10 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

It is online.   You pick 0,1 or 2 batters every day.  If they get a hit your streak continues, if not it ends, but you just start over. You don't have to play every day, you can pick any hitters on any day.   Really gets you looking at hitters on teams other than your favorite and also the hitter/pitcher match up.  The site gives you some quick stats on the match ups so it helps a little.  The game doesn't start until opening day but you can read about it on their site now.

On a different subject, somewhere around Father's day MLB gives you the online viewing package at half-price.  I like to sign up for it then.  I primarily watch the Dodgers but since I have been playing BTS, I watch other teams also.  Haven't enjoyed baseball this much since High School.

Very cool!

I'll check it out!

When I think of passing something, I always think of a one to one relationship.  Like a Quarterback to a Receiver, or passing a car on the interstate.

So why is it when a person farts, it's called passing gas?  You're not transferring or targeting a specific individual, you're sharing it with everyone

On 3/18/2018 at 3:07 AM, Juror#8 said:

Yep I'll bite - huge Patton fan here. 

Not the "hollywooded" Patton that people conveniently lean on. 

Nah it's not because of movies or lore; rather it's because I've read extensively about the unforgiving African desert and the German two-spring mines, the marking of dak tropicals, and the perceived invicibility of Rommel and the German Wehrmacht. Patton reimagined armored warfare as much as anyone and, above all, he was an uncompromising, unsissified, defiant, son-of-a-bit%!,who would make most of us arm chair historians pee ourselves with testimonials around what it was like to stare down the strength of the reich near its peak. He struck fear in German command and may have  led German braintrust into a strategic blunder leading up to dday. 

Reasonable minds may differ, but for a lot of reasons, gully reasons, I like Patton a lot. 

Then I'd take Winfield Scott before I'd even consider Jackson. 

Oh no! You didn’t. 

(Ducks for cover)

56 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Do you eat salad before or after a meal? 

Spaghetti first then meat balls or vice versa ?  

If I eat a salad, it's a big salad and one that is the meal.

Since spaghetti is all mixed together like salads and soup...I eat it all together.  

I'm referring to multiple food items separated on a plate....ie steak, potatoes and green beans.

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Do you eat salad before or after a meal? 

Spaghetti first then meat balls or vice versa ?  

I eat salad before my meal.

I eat a part of the meat ball and some spaghetti together in the same bite.

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Do you guys think I'm strange that I eat one thing at a time?  If I have a plate with a meat and 2 sides....I eat the meat first, then one side and then the other.

If I have a burger and fries.  Burger first, then the fries.  

I do that also.  I have wondered why I do that.  If I do it the other way the meal just doesn't seem right.

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Do you guys think I'm strange that I eat one thing at a time?  If I have a plate with a meat and 2 sides....I eat the meat first, then one side and then the other.

If I have a burger and fries.  Burger first, then the fries.  

Im the complete opposite. I eat everything in equal porportions. Ideally ill have one bite of everything at the end of the meal.

On 3/23/2018 at 12:29 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

If I eat a salad, it's a big salad and one that is the meal.

Since spaghetti is all mixed together like salads and soup...I eat it all together.  

I'm referring to multiple food items separated on a plate....ie steak, potatoes and green beans.

Weird? No.  

Special? Yes. 

On 3/23/2018 at 2:22 PM, CowgirlsFan said:

I eat salad before my meal.

I eat a part of the meat ball and some spaghetti together in the same bite.

As a kid I recall my family meals the salad was served last. 

Or was that the Mandela / Mengala effect? 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Having a cat put down today.  Katia (named after Yekaterina Budanova - Russian WWII fighter ace), 15 years old, lung cancer.  

And this morning, she has taken over my desk, pushed my keyboard out of the way, and commandeered the mouse pad for a pillow, and will not move.  Which is awfully adorable.

katia.thumb.jpg.85d9c8d8f2a1063cd0143b11181f7231.jpg

Edit: don't know if anyone's done home euthanasia before...but I don't recommend it.  It's rough; you can't really get away from the fact that you just killed a pet.

Edited by DC Tom
  • Sad 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.