Random Thoughts Thread

RaoulDuke79

Had someone told me a short, couple of years ago, that I'd get a perfectly cooked piece of meat (beef, pork, etc) by putting it in a warm water bath, in a plastic bag (Ziploc or vacuum-sealed), I would've laughed in their faces.  Smoking, grilling, and pan searing had been my jam.

But getting this sous vide contraption has been flat out great.  Did a flank steak this past Friday.  Garlic, thyme, olive oil, salt, pepper in a Ziploc bag; two hours in 134F water, then wiped down with a paper towel, and added to a screaming hot cast iron pan w olive oil and butter for 1 min per side.  Perfectly done on the inside with the char that you want on the outside.  Mind blown.

Edited by TheCockSportif
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Why does a starship captain named Jean-Luc, who hails from a French vineyard, speak with a British accent?

He learned is English in England and studied at Oxford.

(Just making that up).

3 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

Had someone told me a short, couple of years ago, that I'd get a perfectly cooked piece of meat (beef, pork, etc) by putting it in a warm water bath, in a plastic bag (Ziploc or vacuum-sealed), I would've laughed in their faces.  Smoking, grilling, and pan searing had been my jam.

But getting this sous vide contraption has been flat out great.  Did a flank steak this past Friday.  Garlic, thyme, olive oil, salt, pepper in a Ziploc bag; two hours in 134F water, then wiped down with a paper towel, and added to a screaming hot cast iron pan w olive oil and butter for 1 min per side.  Perfectly done on the inside with the char that you want on the outside.  Mind blown.

I found out that telling people that you Sou Vide their steak will make them hate it, because they think you just boiled away the flavor.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

Game changer as of a few years ago. My wife now hesitates to go out to “fine steak houses” because she thinks what “we” do at home is better. I have to agree. 

We did a few quick steaks the old way last week when the son dropped in. Seared then popped in oven to finish due to lack of time. They were good, but not perfect. Sous vide steaks gets you perfect every time. 

26 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

I found out that telling people that you Sou Vide their steak will make them hate it, because they think you just boiled away the flavor.

It is your job to educate them! Feed them once and they will want to know where to get an immersion circulator! 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2017 at 11:32 AM, Buffalo716 said:

I like turtles

I’m watching ‘Interceptors’ on Netflix and the secret US base in the Pacific has a turtle in a tank; Turbo the Turtle. Film is boring and I’m scrolling TBD and laughed as I saw your comment at the exact same time as the turtle came on screen! 

On 6/11/2018 at 10:19 AM, Joe in Winslow said:

My dog is smarter than the majority of people I run into on a daily basis. 

Optometrist recommendations needed?

On 10/8/2017 at 8:26 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My 7 year old son takes these GIANT dumps. I mean, 8-9 inchers! I was thinking today...how is his little body capable of making these things? Yeesh...

I think 8.6 Courics is the World Record, not sure what the Junior World Record is? Oh, it’s Stan Marsh.

On 5/31/2022 at 4:54 AM, WhoTom said:

Why does a starship captain named Jean-Luc, who hails from a French vineyard, speak with a British accent?

Ok, how about… The English revoked the Treaty of Paris, reclaimed the title of Normandy and landed from the Channel Islands, that had always remained in British hands. It’s a courtesy to refer to the Vineyard as French… 

On 12/19/2017 at 2:46 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Here’s a random thought.  Are there “black” band-aids?  I mean, like for African Americans....I’ve never seen one.

If so, do they have different shades?  Surely a dark African straight from Somalia would have different band-aid needs than a guy like Tiger Woods.  Right?

https://www.dezeen.com/2020/06/16/band-aid-bandages-brown-black-skin-tones/amp/

Do you stop watching a film after you’ve realised it’s just a bad film or do you persist, hoping that it improves? 

9 hours ago, Shamrock said:

I think 8.6 Courics is the World Record, not sure what the Junior World Record is? Oh, it’s Stan Marsh.

Bono was the world record at 80 Courics, but Randy Marsh beat that with one over 100 Courics.

On 6/11/2022 at 10:55 AM, Shamrock said:

https://www.dezeen.com/2020/06/16/band-aid-bandages-brown-black-skin-tones/amp/

Do you stop watching a film after you’ve realised it’s just a bad film or do you persist, hoping that it improves? 

It depends on the amount of female nudity in the film, tbh.

“We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls . . . Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.”... 😝
Hunter S. Thompson

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Lawsuit claims that Skittles are 'unfit for human consumption'
A consumer lawsuit claims that Skittles' contain a 'known toxin' that is 'unfit for human consumption'

A class action lawsuit filed on Thursday in Oakland, California by San Leandro resident Jenile Thames alleged that Skittles are unsafe for consumers because they contain "heightened levels" of titanium dioxide.

The lawsuit also said titanium dioxide will be banned in the European Union next month after a food safety regulator there deemed it unsafe because of "genotoxicity," or the ability to change DNA.

According to the lawsuit, titanium dioxide is used in paint, adhesives, plastics and roofing materials, and can cause DNA, brain and organ damage, and well as lesions in the liver and kidneys.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/lawsuit-claims-skittles-unfit-human-consumption

46 minutes ago, ALF said:

A consumer lawsuit claims that Skittles' contain a 'known toxin' that is 'unfit for human consumption'

A class action lawsuit filed on Thursday in Oakland, California by San Leandro resident Jenile Thames alleged that Skittles are unsafe for consumers because they contain "heightened levels" of titanium dioxide.

The lawsuit also said titanium dioxide will be banned in the European Union next month after a food safety regulator there deemed it unsafe because of "genotoxicity," or the ability to change DNA.

According to the lawsuit, titanium dioxide is used in paint, adhesives, plastics and roofing materials, and can cause DNA, brain and organ damage, and well as lesions in the liver and kidneys.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/lawsuit-claims-skittles-unfit-human-consumption

*****! I'm literally at my desk with a bag of Skittles right now.

11 hours ago, ALF said:

Everything in Cali is labeled that it will give you cancer. 

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I've had the same bottle of cologne for 22 years.  It still smells the same.  Is there a shelf life for cologne?  It's alcohol, it continues to ferment right?

https://www.fragrancex.com/blog/does-perfume-expire/#:~:text=Yes%2C perfume and cologne do,-and-fast expiration date.

Does Perfume Expire?

Yes, perfume and cologne do go bad. However, how long they last depends on the scent’s chemical composition.

Many perfumes, especially from well-respected brand names like Chanel or Marc Jacobs, don’t have a hard-and-fast expiration date. Some will begin to expire in less than a year and others will last upwards of 10 years. However, three to five years is the average shelf life of a fragrance.

According to experts, perfumes with heavier base notes will last the longest. Some people compare these perfumes to a fine wine—they get better with age. Examples of scents with heavier base notes include oriental scents, such as those with patchouli and amber.

When the lighter base notes are prominent in a fragrance, the solution is often more volatile. Citrus, green and floral perfumes, for instance, often don’t last as long.

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

https://www.fragrancex.com/blog/does-perfume-expire/#:~:text=Yes%2C perfume and cologne do,-and-fast expiration date.

Does Perfume Expire?

Yes, perfume and cologne do go bad. However, how long they last depends on the scent’s chemical composition.

Many perfumes, especially from well-respected brand names like Chanel or Marc Jacobs, don’t have a hard-and-fast expiration date. Some will begin to expire in less than a year and others will last upwards of 10 years. However, three to five years is the average shelf life of a fragrance.

According to experts, perfumes with heavier base notes will last the longest. Some people compare these perfumes to a fine wine—they get better with age. Examples of scents with heavier base notes include oriental scents, such as those with patchouli and amber.

When the lighter base notes are prominent in a fragrance, the solution is often more volatile. Citrus, green and floral perfumes, for instance, often don’t last as long.

This is a bottle of Coolwater that I got on my 18th birthday from my brother.  I keep it in the fridge because I like when the cool liquid hits my skin.

Random thought: How come you never see weeds on train tracks ballast? I can get a weed in any barren crack and not get it to grow on patches of lawn... LoL... WTF is going on here!

And... Don't just say spray.  I would think things are getting more and more enviro friendly. 

Old days they'd dump steam on the top growth...

https://www.customtruck.com/blog/railroad-vegetation-management-a-crucial-clean-up-service-that-keeps-our-train-system-alive/

"...Railroads are mostly built on soil, rocks and stones that support plant life in varying degrees. The railroad ballast prism, which consists of rock over soil, is an inviting target for light-loving plants that, if left undisturbed, will regenerate themselves by root expansion, seeds or ground layering. These stubborn plants will then convert relatively sterile ballast to soil through decomposition of organic matter and breakdown of ballast rock, providing a growing site for a complex plant community. ..."

"...Railroad vegetation management isn’t a glamorous topic of discussion outside concerned industries, but without this crucial service, railroads in the US and all over the world could come to a complete standstill and throw life as we know it into complete chaos."

A penny for your thoughts:

@BringBackFergy

@Beerball

@Mike in Horseheads

@Gugny

12 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Random thought: How come you never see weeds on train tracks ballast? I can get a weed in any barren crack and not get it to grow on patches of lawn... LoL... WTF is going on here!

And... Don't just say spray.  I would think things are getting more and more enviro friendly. 

Old days they'd dump steam on the top growth...

https://www.customtruck.com/blog/railroad-vegetation-management-a-crucial-clean-up-service-that-keeps-our-train-system-alive/

"...Railroads are mostly built on soil, rocks and stones that support plant life in varying degrees. The railroad ballast prism, which consists of rock over soil, is an inviting target for light-loving plants that, if left undisturbed, will regenerate themselves by root expansion, seeds or ground layering. These stubborn plants will then convert relatively sterile ballast to soil through decomposition of organic matter and breakdown of ballast rock, providing a growing site for a complex plant community. ..."

"...Railroad vegetation management isn’t a glamorous topic of discussion outside concerned industries, but without this crucial service, railroads in the US and all over the world could come to a complete standstill and throw life as we know it into complete chaos."

A penny for your thoughts:

@BringBackFergy

@Beerball

@Mike in Horseheads

@Gugny

Well, the Maumee and Western Railroad does not mind weeds...

• Like (+1) 1

freeways.jpg...................................................................................................................................................................................................................

this was on my sisters feed and decided I post it as cabbage patch wisdom. Dedicated to the 2BD Shoutbox 🙂

cabbage.jpg

Edited by muppy

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 8:02 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

So we had somebody on our team named Leo.  I haven’t seem him since Covid.  She’s not Lea and talk about something that caught me very off guard.

Used to work with a Jason who is now Jeanette.  I still have a hard time thinking of them as a she and not a he. 

On 7/20/2022 at 10:39 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

I've had the same bottle of cologne for 22 years.  It still smells the same.  Is there a shelf life for cologne?  It's alcohol, it continues to ferment right?

if it didn’t work 22 years ago 

it won’t suddenly start working for you. 
😝 

On 8/10/2022 at 1:17 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

Toe injury that really hurt.

397731A9-16FE-408D-9C15-BF9B4F95EFFF.jpeg

I thought you and @John from Riversideshared hobbies 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.